Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Exercised the old iron this weekend. Picture from the top of "radiator hill" in Palmer, Missouri at dusk. Rained far too much this weekend, but we made a nice time of it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw a beautiful old International Scout in Amherst MA yesterday on the way to the trails... bright yellow, looked very nicely restored.

:allears:

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

I saw a beautiful old International Scout in Amherst MA yesterday on the way to the trails... bright yellow, looked very nicely restored.

:allears:

There's one in Southbridge being used as a plow vehicle, but it's more rust than metal.

I remember when they were still being abandoned in the woods as junk.

Hell, I found a beautiful set of first generation Bronco doors in the middle of the woods once.. That were probably ripped off a stolen truck and deposited there in the seventies, as that section of woods was just.. woods, no passable roads. (This was the late nineties)

My hometown was infamous for that. My dad once found a brand new Mach 1, stolen, ignition cylinder ripped out, vin tags destroyed. He drove it home and stripped it. I remember there being cut up cars half submerged in lakes, I even recall a sandpit entirely filled with burned out cars.

Last thing I saw while wheeling was a clearly stolen dodge ram, torched. It was gone the next time I was there, though.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ACEofsnett posted:

I remember when they were still being abandoned in the woods as junk.

If you ever do find another, stick a battery on it and pour some gas down the carb, betcha it'll fire right up. That IH v8 isn't that powerful, efficient, lightweight, or modifiable, but boy will they take abuse.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Speaking of IH's... how is yours coming along? Updates have been week.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Yeah it's all about the driver when it comes to Hummers, I've seen H2's and H3's go anywhere where my H1 can go usually except for really deep water. The H3T bone stock without a lift is probably the least limited... but is one of the most popular trucks out there, it's hard to track one down used.

Right now I'm thinking of getting an H3 for a 2nd truck. I'm seeing nice clean H3 Adventures for around 15k. The great thing with the adventure package you get the front and rear eaton e-locker kit built in and I *think* a air compressor system in the back kick panel from the factory.

Thing is used car dealers don't tend to make any bones about charging more for the adventure series, so it can be a good buy.

A few of my friends went out to Moab last week, I was going to go, but AM General is putting a factory moab run in September with something special planned... so September it is for me...

A few pictures:

I tried to buy one of these H1 Pickups, but they're pretty hard to find, they only made about 700-800 total over 18 years. They're pretty cramped unless you got the extended cab version which gives you an extra 2" of room to move the seat back. :v:

Take an ol' crew cab and make a truggy out of it...

I keep meaning to go to Moab every year, I keep putting it off. My friend at AM General told me to go to the September factory sponsored run if I was going to go to any run.. so I guess I got the date set for that.

Might go up to Gorman this weekend and do John Bull again in Big Bear in a few weeks... time to beat the rocker panels off a few boulders again!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Geared Hub posted:

I tried to buy one of these H1 Pickups, but they're pretty hard to find, they only made about 700-800 total over 18 years. They're pretty cramped unless you got the extended cab version which gives you an extra 2" of room to move the seat back. :v:

Yeah even the .mil pickup variant HMMWVs are kinda cramped. I'd still own the gently caress out of one. The one we drove around at Ft. Irwin was a loving blast. I wish I could have taken the doors out but my driver kept bitching about the dust.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Speaking of IH's... how is yours coming along? Updates have been week.

Me? Which IH are you talking about? I sold the pickup a little less than a year ago. It was fun but I really wasn't using it much and there was just too much sitting about the house. Too much maintenance, too much insurance.

The Scout has never been much of a project. It's got maintenance stuff here and there, wheel bearings are a constant pain point but that's mostly because I keep submerging the poor things. I'm likely to replace the body mount bushings soon, and someday I may give it some spring lift and move up another inch or two on the tires, I'd also love to put selectable lockers in the diffs, but right now that's all pipe dream stuff.

Next big project really is going to be the Mercedes 240d. The coil springs are worn and tired and I'm seriously thinking about converting to air.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well there we have it, king coil over conversion valved like a pre runner, 35" duratracs and various axle bracing and steering upgrades. Turning this Rubicon into a high speed dune runner. Next is a hemi swap and big brake kit. In talks with Off road Evolution on their king coil over setups.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am glad to join the proper off roader club. I posted a thread about my new Range Rover, so it should be fun.

Any one recommend a good tire? I have used Wild Country Radial TXR's on my F350 and on other older 4x4's that I have owned. Good tire, seems to last some time, but I am thinking about trying the BF Goodrich Wrangler's. I plan to use it for both off road and I want something fairly quiet for highway driving.

I was thinking about these rims.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-98-5885F

I really like the blacked out look.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am glad to join the proper off roader club. I posted a thread about my new Range Rover, so it should be fun.

Any one recommend a good tire? I have used Wild Country Radial TXR's on my F350 and on other older 4x4's that I have owned. Good tire, seems to last some time, but I am thinking about trying the BF Goodrich Wrangler's. I plan to use it for both off road and I want something fairly quiet for highway driving.

BF Goodrich A/T KO's and the Toyo A/T are great, round tires especially for the larger sizes that are very quiet at highway speeds.

If you want to get slightly more aggressive , the newer Goodyear MT/R [with kelvar] and the BF Goodrich A/T KM2 are great as well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The Goodyear wrangler duratrac is the best all terrain tire out right now.

Another very good tire is the Interco trxus m/t wears slow, great in snow, good in mud, good on wet pavement.

Firestone destination m/t is a great off road tire. Wears slow, pretty quiet, good in deeper snow. Not good on pure ice.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah it's all about the driver when it comes to Hummers, I've seen H2's and H3's go anywhere where my H1 can go usually except for really deep water. The H3T bone stock without a lift is probably the least limited... but is one of the most popular trucks out there, it's hard to track one down used.

Right now I'm thinking of getting an H3 for a 2nd truck. I'm seeing nice clean H3 Adventures for around 15k. The great thing with the adventure package you get the front and rear eaton e-locker kit built in and I *think* a air compressor system in the back kick panel from the factory.!

Wow I never realized how cheap the H3 is getting. Here's a nice H3 adventure pack for 12k obo: http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2947550375.html (highish miles at 160k though)

How reliable is the 3.5 liter I5 though? Is it used on anything besides the H3?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

jonathan posted:

The Goodyear wrangler duratrac is the best all terrain tire out right now.

Another very good tire is the Interco trxus m/t wears slow, great in snow, good in mud, good on wet pavement.

Firestone destination m/t is a great off road tire. Wears slow, pretty quiet, good in deeper snow. Not good on pure ice.

Im running the Wrangler Duratracs on my 100 series, and I cannot fault them. Bout the only complaint is that I can make the front tyres spin up off the line when its raining (in a constant 4wd vehicle!) but thats more the fact that my car is pushing close to 600nm of torque out through the wheels rather than a fault with the tyres!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mod sassinator posted:

Wow I never realized how cheap the H3 is getting. Here's a nice H3 adventure pack for 12k obo: http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2947550375.html (highish miles at 160k though)

How reliable is the 3.5 liter I5 though? Is it used on anything besides the H3?

3.5 is used in the Colorado/Canyon pickups. Its not bad, but not great either. Feels rather coarse for a recently designed engine. Part of the problem is the transmission is only 4 speeds when it really needs a 6 speed behind it. Better yet the 4.2 Atlas 6 from the Trailblazer would have been a better engine from the get-go.

Thanks for all the tire advice. I am thinking the Toyo's look pretty good.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 18, 2012

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

BrokenKnucklez posted:

3.5 is used in the Colorado/Canyon pickups. Its not bad, but not great either. Feels rather coarse for a recently designed engine. Part of the problem is the transmission is only 4 speeds when it really needs a 6 speed behind it. Better yet the 4.2 Atlas 6 from the Trailblazer would have been a better engine from the get-go.

Thanks for all the tire advice. I am thinking the Toyo's look pretty good.

The H3 is available with a six speed manual, is it not? That would be the way to go in my
opinion.

Edit : No, apparently it isn't. It's five speed or automatic only, shows how much I know. Odd, seeing as the Wrangler and FJ both have six speeds.

Also : This tagline from the GM website : "Fully welded steel frame." Wait, what? What truck in that class doesn't have a fully welded steel frame? That might be great if you're cross shopping it against what? A ridgeline?

Edit again: I was quoting verbatim.
|
v

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 18, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ACEofsnett posted:

Also : This tagline from the GM website : "Fully welded steel frame." Wait, what? What truck in that class doesn't have a fully welded steel frame? That might be great if you're cross shopping it against what? A ridgeline?

Do they/you mean fully BOXED frame? Because I'd have to say that most things in that class do not have that. Land Rovers and such do, but not your typical SUV-ish 4 wheeler.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
12k for an h3 with lockers, 4:1 low range and onboard air is cheap enough to never consider an xj or used jk. You could upgrade axles tie rods mild lift, tires and bead locks and still be in for 8,000 less than a used Rubicon 4 door.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah it sounds like you can put 35 inch tires on an H3 without any modifications too. I can't imagine the I5 likes tires that big though, probably better to find an alpha model with 5.3 liter V8 (a lot more expensive from what I see though).

Edit: Actually it sounds like I5 H3's have 4.56 gears stock so maybe 35's aren't so bad.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 18, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geared Hub posted:

BF Goodrich A/T KO's and the Toyo A/T are great, round tires especially for the larger sizes that are very quiet at highway speeds.

If you want to get slightly more aggressive , the newer Goodyear MT/R [with kelvar] and the BF Goodrich A/T KM2 are great as well.

Sumitomo makes a great All terrain tire too(HTR A/T). That's what I had before I got my Toyo Open Country.

I love the look of both of them. They're comparable in all areas. The Sumitomos were a bit better offroad but noisier. The Toyos are awesome on the road but not as good in the wet.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I went out to Hale Creek again, and some other local trails with some other trucks. The toyota in front of me is open/open, and I don't think he aired down, after the run he asked what sort of locker I had (I'm lsd).
http://youtu.be/4ybTQQOqo5w
http://youtu.be/LJYoiLlm1Ng
The spare is because I tore a sidewall wide open on the road up, all four tires are replaced with 235/85R16 Kumho muds now.

The grey XJ is my friend's truck.

There was also a fully homebuilt Exo'd toyota.

Edit: New tires.

klezmer life yo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 18, 2012

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

Obese Wallaby posted:

I went out to Hale Creek again, and some other local trails with some other trucks.

When was this? Did you see any snow? Was there snow on the V-rock?

I love it up there, thanks for posting pics.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
It was on the 14th. We got stopped at the top of lookout lake, there was snow on the narrow part with the long dropoff, right at the summit and nobody really wanted to risk sliding off. A friend did vrock that night, but I had to go home - he says there's no snow. I love it up there too, great place.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Well Hungry Valley added a few new obstacles on the 4x4 course over the past year, some concrete blocks and pipes, and a water trap and a mud trap.

:haw:

Blew a bearing on the vacuum pump on the way home and after I fixed that I got some water/mud contamination in one of the geared hubs...

:psyduck:

The seals were fine but the vent line had a hole in the hose so I guess it sucked in a ton of swamp-rear end water into the hub.

I was driving it back to the shop to do a major service and flush all the fluids out when the hub banged, then I got a buddy to swing by and trailered it to the shop.

I guess I could have kept going, but I'd rather replace 4x $30 bearings, than crack a spindle...

I'll post up pictures when I rebuild one, fortunately I picked up a set of hot swappable spares for cheap, that saved my bacon.

I'll post the video if the guy who shot them sends them to me.

/edit

Not a vent line, had a friend came over who's a tech for AMG, and he noticed all my geared hubs were swapped to using old surplus military geared hub seals kit. The civilian and later model HMMWV's have a newer seal design and a little rubber spacer/boot that goes into the input shaft hole to keep crap out.

:argh: screwed by previous owner cheapness, I never broke a CV shaft in 6 years so I never knew. I swear half the problems on H1's is people swapping in 15-25 year old HMMWV parts and assuming it's the same as the H1 part.

No damage to the hub other than the outer bearing and race needs to be replaced and flushed out. I'll end up redoing all the bearings and do a complete rebuild.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 14, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a yellow H1 on a Dodge lot in town here. It have live axles underneath. What ? I thought they all had independent.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geared Hub posted:

No damage to the hub other than the outer bearing and race needs to be replaced and flushed out. I'll end up redoing all the bearings and do a complete rebuild.

If you don't mind, would you do a write up or just a few photos... that geared up is pretty neat set up. I am sure others would like to see how it all goes together as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

There is a yellow H1 on a Dodge lot in town here. It have live axles underneath. What ? I thought they all had independent.

I know the one you're talking aboot.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-HUMMER-H1-HUMVEE-KIT-TRY-YOUR-TRADES-W0QQAdIdZ379188709

It's a fiero

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LoL that explains it. I almost though someone did a solid axle swap on an h1.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Kit Hummers are pretty funny, the companies always got something wrong in proportions, most of the "accurate" ones were for full size chevy trucks. There were others for rangers and jeeps.

AM General didn't give a poo poo about them, but when GM took over the Hummer brand, GM legal paid many of these kit companies a visit and they all stopped making kits. Urban Gorilla and T-rexx were the two biggest ones. One had a all steel body, and another had a fiberglass body. That and the solid axles were a dead give away [plus a more lovely than factory interior and doors usually completes the set].

A legit hummer or hmmwv will have the riveted t6 aircraft aluminum body.

That black one I saw at a co-signment shop over in west LA off of Lincoln Ave... shameful.. they were trying to get 12 grand for it I think. I mean, there was nothing special about the donor vehicle, and the body wouldn't hold up with any sort of off roading, you just crack the fiberglass if you hit the rockers.

That being said, I'm seeing hummer stuff wind up on other trucks which is neat:

The scorpion 4x4's are pretty neat also, but that's a custom design rather than a kit or copy. [with a 4BT diesel option :clint: ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Mhsxfph_0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That post reminds me of this terrible thing that used to drive around my hometown.

Terrible.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Does anybody have any tips for tracking down fire roads/maintenance roads/easy wheelin' areas? I'm wanting to take the Blazer out but the only leads I have are on friends' land over an hour away. Should I just start google mappin' it up in areas I think there might be some fun roads?

Let me clarify, this is vanilla entry level poo poo that I'm wanting. I'm on 33's and can take a bit of terrain, but am not an experienced off road driver, to be perfectly honest. I just wanna cruise back in the sticks and listen to the birds, maybe turn on the shortwave for a bit and have some lunch.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

Does anybody have any tips for tracking down fire roads/maintenance roads/easy wheelin' areas? I'm wanting to take the Blazer out but the only leads I have are on friends' land over an hour away. Should I just start google mappin' it up in areas I think there might be some fun roads?

Let me clarify, this is vanilla entry level poo poo that I'm wanting. I'm on 33's and can take a bit of terrain, but am not an experienced off road driver, to be perfectly honest. I just wanna cruise back in the sticks and listen to the birds, maybe turn on the shortwave for a bit and have some lunch.

Garmin topographic maps show a majority of Forest service roads and even many trails.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Thought I'd share a picture of my old '99 Explorer Eddie Bauer.

It wasn't the greatest rig in the world but with the heated seats and lots of space it sure made for some comfortable trail rides and could get around pretty well for a soccer mom ride.

I gave it to my brother when his F-150 died and he managed to total it within a month. Looks like I'll be in the market for an XJ.

Edit: Another picture for the hell of it.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 15, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Online you can use dirtpedia..

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Main_Page

It has a lot of missing data, but some good documentation on trails on various states and countys:

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/San_Bernardino_County,_California

They try to rate them by difficulty, green circle, blue square, black diamond..

As for paperback books I absolutely recommend any of the Charles Wells books if he has a book for your region:

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-A.-Wells/e/B001JOZTQ6/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1337106358&sr=8-1

I have a few stashed in truck, maps, mile markers and gps co-ordinates of all the trails, plus points of interest, where to get the nearest phone, food, fuel or water. Elevation and various map data. Ratings for trails plus what obstacles have what bypasses, etc.

For general 4x4 info these two are great:

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Wheelers-Bible-Edition-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760335303/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/4-Wheel-Freedom-The-Off-Road-Driving/dp/0873648919/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337106358&sr=8-3

They start with the basics and go into advanced off road techniques and recovery. Ranging from rigging up winching to weight and traction physics when your vehicle shifts weights on various slopes.

There's generally trails everywhere, at the minimum you can check with your local BLM rangers office and see what federal lands have fire roads that may be open. Keep in mind if you are going to a remote area, that there may be no phone coverage so plan accordingly. Bring a friend in a second 4x4 or let people know to check in on you by a certain time in case you break down in the middle of nowhere.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
What are some options for a rugged paint job? In the detailing thread the general consensus is the matte-finish auto paint is a total nightmare to take care of, but the matte finish is similar to military CARC paint, isn't it? And all military vehicles do is either sit in a motor pool totally exposed to the elements or get nasty in the field and only are cleaned with high pressure water. Would something like Krylon camouflage work?

http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/

Or a colored primer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hummer Driving human being posted:

but the matte finish is similar to military CARC paint, isn't it? And all military vehicles do is either sit in a motor pool totally exposed to the elements or get nasty in the field and only are cleaned with high pressure water.

Have you ever looked at the finish quality on those vehicles at any point after they've been put in service? It's fine for them. It's not a street car level of quality at all.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Motronic posted:

Have you ever looked at the finish quality on those vehicles at any point after they've been put in service? It's fine for them. It's not a street car level of quality at all.

That's my point. What would a good paint be when you don't care about how it looks but simply want a cheap paint to cover the body? Much like a military vehicle it's nothing to do with the looks but all about the function.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's my point. What would a good paint be when you don't care about how it looks but simply want a cheap paint to cover the body? Much like a military vehicle it's nothing to do with the looks but all about the function.

Any modern paint will work just fine if you don't care what it looks like. If you need it tougher than that, use bed liner.

Military vehicles are routinely touched up with no need for blending because it just doesn't matter.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I almost went that way when I repainted my Hummer, I went with the AM General semi gloss tan, easy as hell to touch up and maintain. I got it all scratched to gently caress but a buff and wax job every few months makes it look like new.

The old style 383 CARC was nasty, you needed a rebreather to apply it. Removing it was difficult. I did a frame job on a HMMWV and beefed up the cross members a bit from stock and had to go through a few grinding wheels just to get a clean spot to weld.

That's black CARC, that poo poo will never come off easy so I just lift it as a primer and bombed it with a few coats of VHT high temperature chassis paint.

There's different type of CARC now, including a water based one which won't give you cancer if you want to apply it at home :v:

What you want is probably a single stage CARC paint something you can apply without a second agent or a primer, but that will vary depending on who makes it.

A popular alternative for 4x4's now seems to be line-x with the kelvar top coat to keep it uv protected and shiny. It can be applied with a very fine texture and can be nice but it would be hard to remove if not impossible. Great for bodywork, not so great for any suspension/frame sections that flex and deflect.

I had a bed done with it, I had my rear bed and fenders walnut blasted to the raw aluminum surface, then hit with a marine primer, then coated with a nice thick coat of line-x including a lip around the edges. That thing has been out in the desert for years, got grease and oil all over it and I drop axles and poo poo in the back without a care, and after a good power wash it still looks brand new after 3 years.

It's all about the prep and application, I wouldn't trust the guys who do it in a parking lot or from a mobile station, look for a dealer who performs the work in a paint booth and takes good care of the prep work.

The linex paint jobs can look nice if done right:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I use krylon camo tan on my jeep.