Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Do reviews matter to social games at all? Surely the only people reading insidesocialgames are other devs looking to see what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

waffledoodle posted:

It's not that we love cash; most of us actively hate to think about it money, rates, and other "business crap". Billing systems are just defense mechanisms that we begrudgingly adapt after years of being hosed over when freebies, percentage promises, and "it'll look good in your portfolio" jobs spiral desperately out of scope and become revision-hell.

I still do freebies/profit-sharing gigs when I have blocks of free time, though I tend to only do it for people that I know and trust.

Cash money is the best money.
But only because I am endlessly confused by stocks/stock options/units and would rather just have liquid assets that my brain can parse.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

FreakyZoid posted:

Do reviews matter to social games at all? Surely the only people reading insidesocialgames are other devs looking to see what's going on?

Yeah, reviews don't really matter. The growth you get from the platform, virality, ads, cross-promo, and so on dwarf any traffic you'd get from a review.

Frown Town posted:

Eyes on the prize: Rap yachts for all!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Can anyone post a wordpress version of a portfolio? Mine is coming along alright (I'm mostly gathering media to post) but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for layout. I'm good at a lot of things, but web layout isn't one of them.

Here's the (mostly blank) page as it is right now.

http://pkernaghan.wordpress.com/

Right now I'm trying to get the header image to display the text but without the little box it wants to put around it, but I don't think I can actually do that with this theme/not being "pro".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Frown Town posted:

But only because I am endlessly confused by stocks/stock options/units and would rather just have liquid assets that my brain can parse.

Max your 401K. This is a no-brainer.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Just out of curiosity, but does anyone know the average time a steam submission is reviewed? It's one of those things about their service I've never seen mentioned, and it doesn't seem like an NDA-worthy statistic like their profit-sharing and/or fees, etc., just something no one's ever thought to write down.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Max your 401K. This is a no-brainer.

Unless you work at a fly by night in which case said 401k may be raided.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cgeq posted:

point

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

cgeq posted:

How does this work? Do you just mean the trick where vesting doesn't go through because they die too soon, or is there a way for an employer to yank your money too?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Shalinor posted:

How does this work? Do you just mean the trick where vesting doesn't go through because they die too soon, or is there a way for an employer to yank your money too?

Companies only have to deposit 401k funds they collect from employees once a year. All of a sudden there are financial problems and there is a pot of money that it conveniently needs to be used to make payroll.

EDIT: Grammar

Mega Shark fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 12, 2012

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Mega Shark posted:

Companies only have to deposit 401k funds they collect from employees once a year. All of a sudden there are financial problems and there is a pot of money that it conveniently needs to be used to make payroll.

EDIT: Grammar

That seems pretty shady - I know my 401ks have always been deposited into each paycheck. Is that a common practice?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

djkillingspree posted:

That seems pretty shady - I know my 401ks have always been deposited into each paycheck. Is that a common practice?

It is a very common practice in smaller companies to only deposit once a year just to keep cash flowing. I couldn't tell you the numbers though, I just know through my last company (not a game studio).

supercrooky
Sep 12, 2006

Mega Shark posted:

It is a very common practice in smaller companies to only deposit once a year just to keep cash flowing. I couldn't tell you the numbers though, I just know through my last company (not a game studio).

Are you talking about employer match? If so, yes, that's common. Employee contributions need to go in as soon as possible - yearly deposits of employee contributions is unquestionably illegal.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

supercrooky posted:

Are you talking about employer match? If so, yes, that's common. Employee contributions need to go in as soon as possible - yearly deposits of employee contributions is unquestionably illegal.

Yes, employer match. Sorry, I can see how that was ambiguous.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Is there a place where I can get sales numbers that compare free games with an in-app purchase of the rest of the game vs. games that have all their content available for a price? If possible, I'd like things that were more content based rather than in-game item microtransaction based.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Is there a place where I can get sales numbers that compare free games with an in-app purchase of the rest of the game vs. games that have all their content available for a price? If possible, I'd like things that were more content based rather than in-game item microtransaction based.

The below all really only applies to iOS, because it's all I know.

Flurry posts a lot of data on their blog, blog.flurry.com. You can get a feel for how paid games do versus free games by looking at the top grossing app store chart, then comparing it with top paid and top free. Though that doesn't really cover "free games that offer the rest of the game for a one time fee", specifically, unless you analyze each game and article yourself.

I remember Flurry did a post once saying that consumable in-game currency made way more money, by far, than one-time-purchase stuff like making you pay for levels. All the money makers off the top of my head just do fake ingame currency purchases. I can't really think of anyone that's had huge success with a free game where you buy extra level packs, though there has to be someone I'm forgetting.

If "content" includes cosmetic stuff that you buy directly, one time payment, then Minigore sustained itself for a period of time just off buying new characters. My games make a noticeable chunk of profit off cosmetic hats, with about a 15% rate of people that get at least one thing. They were generally 3 dollar games, though I wonder sometimes if it would be better to make my 99 cent game free. If the conversion numbers stayed similar but I got about 10x more downloads once free (and that's a very low number), then I'd come out ahead.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

supercrooky posted:

Which doesn't mean it doesn't happen. A former employer of mine skimmed 401Ks and got taken to court for it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Kind of a strange question, but does anyone know if felon outreach programs exist in games development?

In other industries, a felony charge becomes a permanent black mark... and the way we handle that in the US just makes me livid / long discussion... so it occurred to me that I might be able to at least work against that with my own business. That said, I've no idea if gamedev is like other industries to begin with. Maybe we all think that way, and felons in gamedev have no issues finding work anyways, no idea.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, video games feels like it has a general, open-minded vibe. In Montreal at least, everyone I've talked to has never mentioned or heard of any stigma for stuff that other companies would give you poo poo about. They're illegal in Canada anyway, but I'm pretty sure no one here would do drug screening tests (probably half the company smokes weed occasionally) and I haven't heard of someone feeling discriminated against based on their sexual orientation, identity, or what have you.

Granted, the latter is pretty illegal, but you get the idea.

I could always ask our recruiter if they screen for felonies and whatnot, if you're curious.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

Kind of a strange question, but does anyone know if felon outreach programs exist in games development?

In other industries, a felony charge becomes a permanent black mark... and the way we handle that in the US just makes me livid / long discussion... so it occurred to me that I might be able to at least work against that with my own business. That said, I've no idea if gamedev is like other industries to begin with. Maybe we all think that way, and felons in gamedev have no issues finding work anyways, no idea.

It's nothing I've ever heard of. Mainly, because of a lack of significant training on advanced math, art, or computer usage in our prison system, combined with the rarity of finding someone with game dev or programming experience on a felony conviction. (If you're sophisticated enough for those things, you're typically sophisticated enough to get a lawyer who can plead you down to a misdo.)

-e- That said, it's a fantastic idea.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
You should do that, the continued punishment we level against people who are unfortunate to get caught up in our hosed up justice system is heinous.

On that note, does anyone know of any gamedevs who drug test? I've never worked a job (game or otherwise) that made me pee in a cup, but I'm under the impression it's pretty common

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

You should do that, the continued punishment we level against people who are unfortunate to get caught up in our hosed up justice system is heinous.

On that note, does anyone know of any gamedevs who drug test? I've never worked a job (game or otherwise) that made me pee in a cup, but I'm under the impression it's pretty common

I know of someone who got sacked for being on drugs. Wasn't so much from testing as his spilling weed all over the toilets we shared with another bunch of offices and just leaving it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

BizarroAzrael posted:

I know of someone who got sacked for being on drugs. Wasn't so much from testing as his spilling weed all over the toilets we shared with another bunch of offices and just leaving it.

He left it???? What kind of pothead just spills weed and then leaves it? I mean, I know it's a bathroom and all, but...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

waffledoodle posted:

It's not that we love cash; most of us actively hate to think about it money, rates, and other "business crap". Billing systems are just defense mechanisms that we begrudgingly adapt after years of being hosed over when freebies, percentage promises, and "it'll look good in your portfolio" jobs spiral desperately out of scope and become revision-hell.

I still do freebies/profit-sharing gigs when I have blocks of free time, though I tend to only do it for people that I know and trust.

Oh, I didn't mean that as a dig at all, I'm a part time artist myself.

Just a comment on how hard it can be to get paid work as a freelancer.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008
EA is apparently swinging the axe:

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

Oh dear.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Volition's job app specifically says to leave out any drug related offenses on the criminal background portion, which I thought was hilarious. I'm not sure of anyone who does drug testing in the industry, it seems like it would needlessly kneecap your recruiting pool to no benefit - the kind of folks doing drugs and maintaining a portfolio are high-functioning addicts at the worst and thus still useful.

Pun unintentional.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Foiltha posted:

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

Oh dear.

Good luck, Game Jobs Goons.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Sigma-X posted:

Volition's job app specifically says to leave out any drug related offenses on the criminal background portion, which I thought was hilarious. I'm not sure of anyone who does drug testing in the industry, it seems like it would needlessly kneecap your recruiting pool to no benefit - the kind of folks doing drugs and maintaining a portfolio are high-functioning addicts at the worst and thus still useful.

Pun unintentional.

Some people do this intentionally, since in many countries asking about arrests is not legal (convictions are OK). Even here in Ethiopia, there are insane rules about what you can and can't ask on a job app in criminal background portions.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Foiltha posted:

Oh dear.

and I just applied to a huge swath of EA jobs last week too, though I don't exactly know if that would negatively or positively effect my chances since I am applying at the entry/mid-level (or the QA position I applied for; yeah it is QA, but dammit I have all the skills that position was asking for)

I guess I will hit up the Activison website today while I am at it :D

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

NextTime000 posted:

and I just applied to a huge swath of EA jobs last week too, though I don't exactly know if that would negatively or positively effect my chances since I am applying at the entry/mid-level (or the QA position I applied for; yeah it is QA, but dammit I have all the skills that position was asking for)

I guess I will hit up the Activison website today while I am at it :D

EA does layoffs pretty regularly, I wouldn't worry about it as an applicant.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Foiltha posted:

Oh dear.
Huh. I'd thought that SWTOR subscription numbers weren't that terrible, even if it seemed like people weren't logging in as much as EA'd like.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
If my SWTOR guild and other friends are any indication, their retention rate is going pretty badly.

Learning everyday
Apr 17, 2012
I am looking for some help. I am a college senior who will be graduating in December 2012 with a dual degree in International Business and Marketing, as well as a double minor in Japanese and Asian studies.

I am looking for an internship for this summer to get my foot in the door of the industry on the business side of Video Game development. I have been applying to many different publishers and developers trying to get the internship, but have so far not heard anything.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or opportunities would be greatly appreciated.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

:shobon:

Where are you located?

Learning everyday
Apr 17, 2012
My family has a home in West Lake Village, California. However i would be willing to relocate for the internship.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Relocate for an internship? Unless you're super well-off already, that's an insane idea.

Westlake Village isn't too bad, it seems like you could get to a lot of LA studios on the 210. Especially for an entry-level position, you should just save up and move when you can move from entry- to junior-level something.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

GetWellGamers posted:

Relocate for an internship? Unless you're super well-off already, that's an insane idea.

I relocated for my internship, was about a 17 hour drive. It was kind of like college, just brought a bunch of crappy furniture and got a cheap apartment.

I'm just curious why its an insane idea, unless you mean making permanent plans like buying a house or something.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
It depends where you live. If you're in the countryside in the middle of nowhere, it makes perfect sense to move into the city to find a job.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Category Fun! posted:

It depends where you live. If you're in the countryside in the middle of nowhere, it makes perfect sense to move into the city to find a job.

Yeah I guess. I absolutely had to relocate. Upstate NY doesn't have many studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namen
Mar 23, 2004
BEES! BEES IN THE CAR! BEES EVERYWHERE!
Well it's official. I nailed the Turbine interview! I start as an associate software engineer in the game platform development team as a tools engineer on May 14th! Woo!