Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

FancyMike posted:

New in town?

Seattle chat:

I guess the list of good shows depends on what you're into. There seems to be something here for most tastes. Personally I tend toward noisier stuff so I'll probably be at the Black Lodge tonight for Haunted Horses and White Coward. Out of town for the weekend, but the only show I'd go to anyway is Strong Killings on Saturday at the Sunset. I like that band.

Absolute Monarchs have a record release show in a couple weeks at the Comet. They're pretty great but I probably won't go. The one show I'm really looking forward to right now is May 11 at the Comet. The Ruby Doe, Akimbo, Dog Shredder. If you're into heavier music I'd recommend not missing this one.

Yeah I just got here last weekend, lived here for 6 months last year (Apr-Sept) and didn't go to any shows. I'm trying to get more into the city this time around and see some of the local music/bars more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Sweeper posted:

Yeah I just got here last weekend, lived here for 6 months last year (Apr-Sept) and didn't go to any shows. I'm trying to get more into the city this time around and see some of the local music/bars more.

Comet
Sunset
Black Lodge and whatever that one is next door
Tractor
El Corazon

all sound good. The blues club (Highway 66? something) that's down across the street from the waterfront has good stuff at random times; it's a good spot to grab a beer and maybe be surprised by a random solo artist. There's a jazz club down from Crocodile (called Tula's) that every once in a while will get a group that really cooks.

Crocodile sounds awful; they've ruined a bunch of good bands I've gone there to see. Then stuff like Showbox and Neumos, I mean they're all right, big open space venues with gigantic speakers and crap but they clearly don't have engineers or equipment of the quality of a place like Comet, which is kind of funny considering how grungy that place is, but they have the advantage of having a tiny floor to control. I actually left a show at Shobox at the Market because the sound was so godawful.

The one thing I could say is that The Stranger's recommendations are usually not terrible, and once you get a feel for the venues you like, well I'd just check their websites and whatever Youtube clips are available, or Bandcamp or whatever. The Comet doesn't update their website all that well, and the "venue" selection on Facebook kind of sucks, so they set up a person account named "Cometta Vern" who you could friend.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Schlieren posted:

Comet
Sunset
Black Lodge and whatever that one is next door
Tractor
El Corazon

all sound good. The blues club (Highway 66? something) that's down across the street from the waterfront has good stuff at random times; it's a good spot to grab a beer and maybe be surprised by a random solo artist. There's a jazz club down from Crocodile (called Tula's) that every once in a while will get a group that really cooks.

Crocodile sounds awful; they've ruined a bunch of good bands I've gone there to see. Then stuff like Showbox and Neumos, I mean they're all right, big open space venues with gigantic speakers and crap but they clearly don't have engineers or equipment of the quality of a place like Comet, which is kind of funny considering how grungy that place is, but they have the advantage of having a tiny floor to control. I actually left a show at Shobox at the Market because the sound was so godawful.

The one thing I could say is that The Stranger's recommendations are usually not terrible, and once you get a feel for the venues you like, well I'd just check their websites and whatever Youtube clips are available, or Bandcamp or whatever. The Comet doesn't update their website all that well, and the "venue" selection on Facebook kind of sucks, so they set up a person account named "Cometta Vern" who you could friend.

+1 on all those places but El Corazon. Can't stand that loving place. Probably because I hung out too much there from like '02-'04.

And the Showbox at the Market isn't so bad, even though I'm hardly ever there. It's the Showbox SoDo that you have to watch out for. Worst venue in the city. Also you're the only person I've ever heard complain about the sound at Neumos. It's big, but always sounds fine to me unless it's empty or a lovely band. I only really make it there a couple times a year, but two of the best shows I saw all of 2011 (Swans, Shabazz record release) were there.

Basically the Comet is pretty much the best for local music. The Funhouse over by the Seattle Center is alright too though and Chop Suey isn't bad. There's a newer place on Capitol Hill too, The Highline. It's pretty nice for a vegan bar and they've had some real good bands come through in the last few months. Also for the venues that don't do much on the web like the Comet you can usually see what's coming up on the Stranger's site.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

FancyMike posted:

+1 on all those places but El Corazon. Can't stand that loving place. Probably because I hung out too much there from like '02-'04.

Well I have only been there to see Guitar Wolf and they did create a human pyramid of audience members on stage so I'm sure my opinion of the place is probably clouded by that. As far as Neumos, it's O.K.; I think I'm just spoiled and only want to see bands before they get big enough even for that small of a stage. And when I went to see Mono the guitarist had his Fender set to icepick and it was exactly at ear level, and when I went to see Wild Flag they bored me to tears, &c. &c.

I'm definitely going to go listen to Midnite play at Neumos, if that doesn't change my mind about the sound quality there I doubt anything could

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Whoops, looks like I dropped some stuff in that post. Let me just sweep all those names up

java
May 7, 2005

I finally tried out a used MIM Fender Jazz today. I am ready to sell my current bass and go buy this.

java
May 7, 2005

I hope cross-listing is alright. I'm looking to sell my current rig, which I've put up in the Gear trades thread

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Longshot, but does anyone here have a Luthman bass? I've found my new goal and I'm in love. Now I just need to figure out how to come up with/justify a $3500 bass. :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 7, 2012

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Scarf posted:

:shobon:

Honestly, for a first instrument, even with the budget, I wouldn't recommend such a large investment. Unless you can find a really good deal on a used Lakland, maybe an xx-01 series, maybe an xx-02 if you were lucky to find one sub $700 used. It mainly depends on the person and how serious they are about learning the bass. Since sweeper already has a solid 6 years of music experience, I wouldn't be as hesitant about recommending one. But anyone completely new to playing music in general, I wouldn't recommend an investment that large.

Now, for amps, if you're wanting a good clean and defined tone, I'd recommend either Genz Benz or Mark Bass. But I don't know if you'd be able to find a suitable setup for your budget, both can get pretty pricey. I assume that if you find a bass you like for under your budget, you'd just use the remainder towards your amp budget?

I went and tried out some Basses today and Lakland was the best feeling one I played! It was a 44-01 priced at 788. It sounded great and had an awesome feel to it, the neck was the right size and playing felt smooth. I also played a Fender j-bass and p-bass, both felt underwhelming after the Lakland. I also played on a G&L (don't know which it was ~$1300), but the neck was a little thick for my liking. All in all thanks for recommending Lakland!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sweeper posted:

I went and tried out some Basses today and Lakland was the best feeling one I played! It was a 44-01 priced at 788. It sounded great and had an awesome feel to it, the neck was the right size and playing felt smooth. I also played a Fender j-bass and p-bass, both felt underwhelming after the Lakland. I also played on a G&L (don't know which it was ~$1300), but the neck was a little thick for my liking. All in all thanks for recommending Lakland!

Haha no problem! The neck is usually what stands out to most people when they first play one. Not sure if it's just the satin-finish, or the dimensions they use, but I've never felt a Lakland neck I didn't find incredibly comfortable.

It was new I take it? That price is pretty spot on for a 44-01. In my opinion the 01s and the Bartolini Mk1 soapbar pickups are a bit more modern sounding than the 02s or any of their Fender-inspired basses. And since you're looking at crisp, clean tone, that may be exactly what you're going for.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Scarf posted:

Haha no problem! The neck is usually what stands out to most people when they first play one. Not sure if it's just the satin-finish, or the dimensions they use, but I've never felt a Lakland neck I didn't find incredibly comfortable.

It was new I take it? That price is pretty spot on for a 44-01. In my opinion the 01s and the Bartolini Mk1 soapbar pickups are a bit more modern sounding than the 02s or any of their Fender-inspired basses. And since you're looking at crisp, clean tone, that may be exactly what you're going for.

Yeah it was new, didn't see a used Lakland there. I'm going to check out a couple more stores and see what I come up with, but I really liked the Lakland.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sweeper posted:

Yeah it was new, didn't see a used Lakland there. I'm going to check out a couple more stores and see what I come up with, but I really liked the Lakland.

Yeah, absolutely, play as many basses as you possibly can.

This reminds me that I still need to put some soundclips up of my newly re-pickup'd Lakland Hollowbody.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Dropped off the Bongo at my local shop today to get the volume pot swapped out. The pot was $16 shipped directly from Ernie Ball and the tech said it should only be $30 for labor. And all of this is being covered by the seller so I'm happy.

While I was there they had a used Fender Jazz Bass Plus V for $499 which I test drove and absolutely loved. There's a dime sized dings/dents on the body at the strap points and the pre-amp cover is chipped in the corner but overall the bass is in pretty good shape. If it's still there when I go to pick up my Bongo, it just might come home with me.

It's kinda weird finding and playing 2 Jazz Bass Plus's in the period of only a few months after never knowing about them. :derp:

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I'm picking my bass back up after a long (~1 year) break from it. During this time I still played guitar, so my chops aren't completely gone, but it still feels like a huge setback! I ordered Bass Fitness, and until it arrives I'm going to ease myself into it again by learning some fun songs. Any suggestions? I like rock/indie and stuff in that vein, but I'd love to learn some jazz or funk as long as it's not too complicated.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

"Sing A Simple Song" by Sly & The Family Stone is a good fingerbuster.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
"Ease Back" by The Meters. And actually... every Meters song while you're at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5sS2qPTfg0

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
And if you REALLY want to give your fingers a workout, check out some Rocco Prestia.

Here he is playing with Gov't Mule doing the song he's probably most known for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZPQGj4K2M

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Hey guys, was browsing craigslist today and came across this G&L L2000 Tribute 4 string. Is this a deal??
http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/2930939570.html

I've only played one G&L before, and absolutely loved how it felt. If I do reply to the ad I'd try and haggle him down some.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scarf posted:

And if you REALLY want to give your fingers a workout, check out some Rocco Prestia.

Here he is playing with Gov't Mule doing the song he's probably most known for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZPQGj4K2M

My swing band almost played this song for our last gig, but the horns couldn't get it together at all - it really opened my eyes as to how bad I am at playing a pumping eighth/sixteenth note line with even, consistent attack. I don't play like that much, and I really should develop it for my classic rock jam sessions.

EDIT: AND we played it in F because the babbies in the horn section can't handle the key of E. Would've been basically impossible without a 5-string to do the two-octave jump properly.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Demon Seed posted:

Hey guys, was browsing craigslist today and came across this G&L L2000 Tribute 4 string. Is this a deal??
http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/2930939570.html

I've only played one G&L before, and absolutely loved how it felt. If I do reply to the ad I'd try and haggle him down some.

The one I had felt way more expensive than it actually was. The only reason I got rid of it was I had too many basses and am not much of an active electronic guy anyway. That's not to say it wasn't versatile, but the sounds I liked out of it were pretty much ones I could already get out of my P. That seems like an ok price, and if you can talk him down even better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Bunk posted:

The one I had felt way more expensive than it actually was. The only reason I got rid of it was I had too many basses and am not much of an active electronic guy anyway. That's not to say it wasn't versatile, but the sounds I liked out of it were pretty much ones I could already get out of my P. That seems like an ok price, and if you can talk him down even better.

Yeah, they go about $650-700 new... So that price isn't too bad. You should definitely play it first. If you love it, yeah, pop on that price. If you're just kinda ok about it, see if he'll go $350-400.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
wrong thread sorry too many windows open.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 22, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Derp, just won a '03 G&L L2000 on eBay by accident. Threw a lowball/I should be outbid-bid and ended up winning.

Anyone want to buy my Line 6 Variax Bass or a Fender Geddy Bass so I can thin the herd? :v:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've been out of the bass gear game for a while mostly focusing on non-bass things, and I'm looking to start playing out more again, which means new gear. I'm thinking of buying two 1x12s and one of those super light portable type heads. Here's what my needs are, in order:

1) Versatile
2) Lightweight
3) Loud

Price, while always a concern, is not at the forefront of my mind. I've got some older bass gear to sell that I can use to fund this purchase in part. What I'm mostly wondering about is: Other than the Genz Benz shuttles, are there any new hotness superlight bass heads? When I stopped paying attention to bass gear the Markbass LM2 was new on the market and sounded great but I already had an Ampeg SVT3 that I was happy with so I never bothered picking up the LM2.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Ibanez SR500s are generally agreed to be Good Basses, right? I wasn't a huge fan of Ibanez gear but I played a used one at a local music place today and it felt like butter and I'm thinking of picking it up.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

crazyfish posted:

I've been out of the bass gear game for a while mostly focusing on non-bass things, and I'm looking to start playing out more again, which means new gear. I'm thinking of buying two 1x12s and one of those super light portable type heads. Here's what my needs are, in order:

1) Versatile
2) Lightweight
3) Loud

Price, while always a concern, is not at the forefront of my mind. I've got some older bass gear to sell that I can use to fund this purchase in part. What I'm mostly wondering about is: Other than the Genz Benz shuttles, are there any new hotness superlight bass heads? When I stopped paying attention to bass gear the Markbass LM2 was new on the market and sounded great but I already had an Ampeg SVT3 that I was happy with so I never bothered picking up the LM2.
GK MB500s and 800s are good, skip the Shuttle 6.0, the others are ok though. The Aguilar TH500 has been well received as well. The Markbass LMII and III use Class A/B power supplies instead of Class D, which some people feel give the tone more weight, which I would agree with somewhat.

For the cabinets, how lightweight are we talking? Off the top of my head there are:
Aguilar SL-112 at 25 pounds
GK Neo 112 series 2 at 30 pounds
Genz Benz NEOX-112 at 36 pounds
Aguilar GS-112 at 45 pounds

They all have similar frequency response and power handling, so you may need to define "versatile" a bit more.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

DrChu posted:

skip the Shuttle 6.0

Whats wrong with the Shuttle 6.0?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JayKay posted:

Whats wrong with the Shuttle 6.0?

They've just come out with much better performing/sounding amps since the 6.0. The 6.2 sounds absolutely amazing. So does the streamliner series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-27szg61bw

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

DrChu posted:

GK MB500s and 800s are good, skip the Shuttle 6.0, the others are ok though. The Aguilar TH500 has been well received as well. The Markbass LMII and III use Class A/B power supplies instead of Class D, which some people feel give the tone more weight, which I would agree with somewhat.

For the cabinets, how lightweight are we talking? Off the top of my head there are:
Aguilar SL-112 at 25 pounds
GK Neo 112 series 2 at 30 pounds
Genz Benz NEOX-112 at 36 pounds
Aguilar GS-112 at 45 pounds

They all have similar frequency response and power handling, so you may need to define "versatile" a bit more.

Versatile as in suitable for all types of music. Those Aguilar SL series cabs are shockingly light, but goddamn are they expensive. I'll have to consider my choices carefully.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Scarf posted:

They've just come out with much better performing/sounding amps since the 6.0. The 6.2 sounds absolutely amazing. So does the streamliner series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-27szg61bw

Derp, I was thinking you were saying that the Shuttle 6.0 had a major flaw or something. Didn't even think about the 6.2 :downs:

That being said you can get a Shuttle 6.0 pretty cheap now! :v:

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

JayKay posted:

Derp, I was thinking you were saying that the Shuttle 6.0 had a major flaw or something. Didn't even think about the 6.2 :downs:

That being said you can get a Shuttle 6.0 pretty cheap now! :v:

Yes indeed. All pretty cheap. I have a GB 9.0 I might consider selling.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The Shuttle 6.0 has a noticeably rolled off low end that the 3.0 and 9.0 don't have. Apparently this was intentional on GB's part so it wouldn't overpower the small cabs they were pairing it with. You can make up for a little with the EQ, but the low control is too high of a frequency, and the bass boost switch makes it very boomy so you're never going to get the solid low end other amps have. While not quite a defect, I would consider it a flaw in the design and its the main reason I got rid of mine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

crazyfish posted:

Versatile as in suitable for all types of music. Those Aguilar SL series cabs are shockingly light, but goddamn are they expensive. I'll have to consider my choices carefully.

Get a pair of used GS112s and the TH500.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'm not sure how many currently living musicians can say this, but I played in the pit for a silent movie this weekend :woop: It was a pretty sweet gig. We performed the score to "The Kid Brother" featuring Harold Lloyd, with the film playing on a big screen onstage. It was my first time performing in an opera house, my first time playing along to a silent movie, and my first time sightreading 90 minutes of music the day before I perform it in front of one or two hundred people. Good stuff. My upright chops were pretty rusty, so my intonation was a bit shaky in a few spots, but overall it as a great performance.

To open the night's performance, the festival's organizers set up the obligatory sponsor shout-out, but in a slightly different fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sqzUhWJj4

Best. Advertisements. Ever.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Ibanez SR500s are generally agreed to be Good Basses, right? I wasn't a huge fan of Ibanez gear but I played a used one at a local music place today and it felt like butter and I'm thinking of picking it up.

I have one, it was my main workhorse bass for about 18 months. It does play like butter, and the EQ is very versatile - you won't get a coloured or "thick" sound out of it like you would a Fender or an EBMM, but it's got a pretty warm tone.

Mine's currently tuned to BEAD and holy poo poo did it come to life. The pickups handle lower tunings really nicely. I honestly prefer playing it to my Warwick Thumb because it's just so much lighter and easier to handle, but the warwick does sound better - but costs 2-3 times as much so eh.

I'd recommend it over any other bass in the price range, if you're going to be playing fast especially. It probably won't be the last bass you ever buy, but I love mine, and won't be selling it any time soon :)

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Ackbarf posted:

I have one, it was my main workhorse bass for about 18 months. It does play like butter, and the EQ is very versatile - you won't get a coloured or "thick" sound out of it like you would a Fender or an EBMM, but it's got a pretty warm tone.

Mine's currently tuned to BEAD and holy poo poo did it come to life. The pickups handle lower tunings really nicely. I honestly prefer playing it to my Warwick Thumb because it's just so much lighter and easier to handle, but the warwick does sound better - but costs 2-3 times as much so eh.

I'd recommend it over any other bass in the price range, if you're going to be playing fast especially. It probably won't be the last bass you ever buy, but I love mine, and won't be selling it any time soon :)

Yeah, I ended up picking it up yesterday and I'm really digging it. I was thinking of tuning mine to BEAD too, did you just put on some heavy gauge strings and tune down or actually get the nut filed to fit a low B string?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

While I haven't tuned down a bass like that, I do have a P bass tuned in C standard. I would highly recommend getting it set up for that tuning, because you're going to need heavier strings than 105s or similar. You can do that yourself if you know how to intonate, adjust the truss rod and file a nut. I personally don't like floppy strings and prefer more tension, so I opted for using the bottom four strings of a five string set.

Definitely do BEAD if you can, tons of fun!

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Doomy posted:

While I haven't tuned down a bass like that, I do have a P bass tuned in C standard. I would highly recommend getting it set up for that tuning, because you're going to need heavier strings than 105s or similar. You can do that yourself if you know how to intonate, adjust the truss rod and file a nut. I personally don't like floppy strings and prefer more tension, so I opted for using the bottom four strings of a five string set.

Definitely do BEAD if you can, tons of fun!

Yeah, I'm leaning towards it because my band plays in B (and drop A) so I'm using a 5-string right now, but it's not a real great one and I prefer 4-strings anyway. Plus this one's so great I wanna start using it all the time. Thanks for the advice!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Mine's got Ernie ball Power Slinky 130s on it (5 string set), but I got a mate who's a long time bass player/music store employee to set it up. He filed the nut and did all the adjustments. He actually set it up for C standard but being a 1/2 step it doesn't really matter either way. It handles drop A too.

The Bartolinis really kick rear end in BEAD. I have the model without the mid switch (09?) but I do all my scooping on the VT Bass and just run my EQs flat on both basses now. If I need to change something on the fly I have a fair bit of room either way that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

What are people's opinions on the Ernie Ball Cobalt strings? I just threw a set on my Stingray and so far so good.