Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Does anyone have any info on the Australian releases of Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me?

I know there's a big Lynch box set coming out in 2 months, but I'd still like to know the quality of the Au releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Does anyone have any info on the Australian releases of Lost Highway and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me?

Head on over to the great info resource that is http://www.blu-ray.com

Of course the more obscure the item the less chance of the transfer having a detailed review. Waite for the box set - it will definately get a comprehensive review. US or UK versions are generally given better treatment and/or are much cheaper. Although id say this box set would be the same content.
Note that i have purchased plenty of US discs that are supposedly region A (as listed by Amazon and even on the case itself!) yet are actually region free. Check the region coding link on there.

Also amazing is this list. (Bit rates/disc info on over a thousand titles *not all)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155731

------
Region Year Title Codec Display Aspect Bitrate Length Movie Size Disc Size Bitrate Primary Language Audio
-------- ---- ----- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- --------------- --------------- ------- ----------------------
B [AU] 1997 Lost Highway AVC 1080p24*2.35:1 24.99 2:14:08 31,077,629,952 34,298,613,088 30.89 DTS-MA 5.1 48/16 2077
B [FR] 1997 Lost Highway AVC 1080p24*2.35:1 24.99 2:14:08 31,077,629,952 34,573,840,068 30.89 DTS-MA 5.1 48/16 2077

B [AU] 1992 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me AVC 1080p24*1.85:1 24.94 2:14:47 31,066,798,080 33,309,426,906 30.73 DTS-MA 5.1 48/16 1996

nimh fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 15, 2012

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

Sporadic posted:

Tom Cruise Collection (Collateral/Days of Thunder/Minority Report/Top Gun/War of the Worlds) dropped down to $25 on Amazon. Great price if you were looking for all those movies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005JZBP9G

How's the War of the Worlds blu ray? I have a copy of it and I think it looks like absolute poo poo. Normally I don't have a problem with grain, but the copy I have has so much grain to the point where it obscures the image most of the time. I can't say that I remember that much grain when I watched it in theaters or on my dvd copy(but it has been some time. I keep meaning to rewatch the dvd to compare). If this version is watchable I'll definitely have to pick it up since I don't have any of the other films on blu ray.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Cantskate43 posted:

How's the War of the Worlds blu ray? I have a copy of it and I think it looks like absolute poo poo. Normally I don't have a problem with grain, but the copy I have has so much grain to the point where it obscures the image most of the time. I can't say that I remember that much grain when I watched it in theaters or on my dvd copy(but it has been some time. I keep meaning to rewatch the dvd to compare). If this version is watchable I'll definitely have to pick it up since I don't have any of the other films on blu ray.

I dont think its any coincidence that with practically every Spieldberg blu ray release there are people complaining about "too much grain".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

nimh posted:

Head on over to the great info resource that is http://www.blu-ray.com

Of course the more obscure the item the less chance of the transfer having a detailed review. Waite for the box set - it will definately get a comprehensive review. US or UK versions are generally given better treatment and/or are much cheaper. Although id say this box set would be the same content.
Note that i have purchased plenty of US discs that are supposedly region A (as listed by Amazon and even on the case itself!) yet are actually region free. Check the region coding link on there.

Yeah, those are my go to sites as well, but there's no reviews of the discs. Just the technical specifics, which doesn't tell the whole story.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, those are my go to sites as well, but there's no reviews of the discs. Just the technical specifics, which doesn't tell the whole story.
I'm in the same boat. I've had my eye on that German box set which is currently the only way to get Mulholland Drive on Bluray, but I have no clue what the quality of the transfer is.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kuddles posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've had my eye on that German box set which is currently the only way to get Mulholland Drive on Bluray, but I have no clue what the quality of the transfer is.

? Blu-ray.com has the review of the German boxset. Its region free.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/David-Lynch-Box-Blu-ray/20724/#Review

quote:

The high-definition transfer used for this Blu-ray release (50GB) of David Lynch's Mulholland Drive is not identical to the one Studio Canal and Optimum Home Entertainment used for their Blu-ray releases in France and the UK. It is encoded with VC-1, as opposed to MPEG-4, and there are some minor differences in terms of contrast and color reproduction.

Though it is not easy to tell, contrast levels are slightly toned down. As a result, a few of the daylight scenes are not as vivid as they appear on the Studio Canal Collection release. However, as far as I am concerned, the difference is academic. Color reproduction is marginally stronger on the Studio Canal Collection release. Once again, however, one is only likely to notice that the reds on the Studio Canal Collection release appear a tiny bit richer. Detail and clarity appear identical on both releases - if there are any discrepancies, I certainly could not spot them. Lastly, I noticed the same mild edge-enhancement and traces of sporadic noise corrections that are present on the Studio Canal Collection. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray disc. Therefore, you will be able to play it on your PS3 or SA regardless of your geographical location. For the record, there is no problematic PAL or 1080/50i content preceding the disc's main menu).

nimh fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 15, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Weird. I swear I spent 10 minutes on that site last week and couldn't find anything. I might just buy it because there has been literally no info regarding that film coming out in the US anytime soon.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kuddles posted:

Weird. I swear I spent 10 minutes on that site last week and couldn't find anything. I might just buy it because there has been literally no info regarding that film coming out in the US anytime soon.

You have to change regions in the search bar. Stupid site design but I guess they want to keep the novice vistor from accessing all of that.

Speaking of Lynch, didn't Eraserhead get released in the Netherlands or something?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Well, this David Lynch box set is due to be released in the UK in two months and its Universal, so probably region free.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, this David Lynch box set is due to be released in the UK in two months and its Universal, so probably region free.

It doesnt have Mullholland Drive though. I guess if you wanted them all you'd buy both, you only double up on Lost Highway and id be cheaper than individual purchases.

Cantskate43
Jun 3, 2007

Hello? Dominos?

sursumdeorsum posted:

I dont think its any coincidence that with practically every Spieldberg blu ray release there are people complaining about "too much grain".

I have other Spielberg releases on blu ray and its nowhere near this level of grain. The rest are fine, it's just this one that steps it up to a whole new level.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

nimh posted:

It doesnt have Mullholland Drive though. I guess if you wanted them all you'd buy both, you only double up on Lost Highway and id be cheaper than individual purchases.

You're right, but I have the Studio Canal release. (which sadly doesn't have english subs, but is perfect in every other way)

Cantskate43 posted:

I have other Spielberg releases on blu ray and its nowhere near this level of grain. The rest are fine, it's just this one that steps it up to a whole new level.

Not really grain related, but am I the only one who thought the Jurassic Park release was incredibly weak Picture quality wise?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cantskate43 posted:

Could have been an artistic decision on the part of Spielberg when he filmed it. I never seen it in theaters but dvd never really retains the grain structure of a movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
My copy of War of the Worlds looks gorgeous and is only your average amount of grainy, I don't know what your problem is.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

kuddles posted:

So do what I did and order Mulholland Drive from Amazon France. It's literally the same Blu Ray as the UK one, except the booklet/packaging is in French.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I'm upgrading to a HDTV, considering buying a blu ray player and was checking out possible blu ray movies to buy, and what the heck? Lawrence of Arabia isnt on blu ray yet? I see David Lean's Bridge on the River Kwai and Dr. Zhivago are both on blu ray, but not Lawrence of Arabia? Shameful.

Apparently it is getting a UK release sometime this year, but no mention of a US release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It is, however, getting a big theatrical showing a la the Casablanca, which is coming from a new restoration, so all signs point to Blu-Ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Actually, it's looking like LoA will have a full re-release - real digital cinema packages (instead of lovely 1080i streams) and new 70mm prints.

I'd gladly trade owning the Blu-Ray for seeing it in a real theater via film or high-resolution digital projection.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Hondo82 posted:

I'm upgrading to a HDTV, considering buying a blu ray player and was checking out possible blu ray movies to buy, and what the heck? Lawrence of Arabia isnt on blu ray yet? I see David Lean's Bridge on the River Kwai and Dr. Zhivago are both on blu ray, but not Lawrence of Arabia? Shameful.

Apparently it is getting a UK release sometime this year, but no mention of a US release.

Lawrence is coming and it looks great from the little bit I've seen.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It says Region B on Blu-Ray.com and Amazon, unfortunately.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Even region free titles get flagged with their country of origin, I wouldn't worry too much.

I haven't got the £50 to dedicate to it, but I have a multi region player so if by chance one of my friends picks it up, I can set my machine to A and see if it still works.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Singin' in the Rain pre-order is up

A mini-umbrella, seriously? As usual, I'll be waiting for the "no ridiculous bullshit" edition.

Also, They Made Me a Fugitive. Great film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FitFortDanga posted:

quote:

aka I Became a Criminal

Well? Which is it?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well? Which is it?
Both, though in the other order.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Both, though in the other order.

Just to be clear, They Made Me a Fugitive is not the same movie as They Made Me a Criminal.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FitFortDanga posted:

Just to be clear, They Made Me a Fugitive is not the same movie as They Made Me a Criminal.

But did he become a criminal?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

A mini-umbrella, seriously? As usual, I'll be waiting for the "no ridiculous bullshit" edition.

Amazon UK's dual-format no-bullshit edition's only $17.50

FYI, nearly all Warner and Paramount releases are region free worldwide. A good percentage of Fox and Disney titles are also region free, but I'd double-check first. Amazon UK seems to be noting region free whenever possible now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FitFortDanga posted:

I've been wondering lately, why has this become a thing? Are there actually people who honestly prefer to pay 5-20 bucks extra from some lovely knick-knack? These things really add nothing to the purchase.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I've been wondering lately, why has this become a thing? Are there actually people who honestly prefer to pay 5-20 bucks extra from some lovely knick-knack? These things really add nothing to the purchase.

It's more insulting since Warner rarely ever adds anything of value in HD or adds much from their DVD editions. Not even trailers get a 1080p treatment like Fox, Sony, and Paramount tend to do.

By the way, Kino's next Buster Keaton release is The Saphead for July 10th.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Much higher profit margin since it's just a few lovely knick-knacks that don't really cost much to throw in and they still release a scaled back version to pick up the people who see through their ruse. The best of both worlds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I'd pay extra for the snow globe the special edition of Fargo included way back when. It was of the wood chipper and half the snow was red. I'm not sure when it came out, but the family friend who had it got it with her VHS copy, so awhile ago.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Not that it helps really, but that's actually a full-size, 40" umbrella.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Yellow Submarine preorder is back down to $16.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0079J28NW

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

You can't possibly be referring to the 3" plastic sword that came with the Kill Bill Vol. 1 box set I paid $150 for...

Yeah, you probably are. The sad thing is, if I see a Vol. 2 box set anywhere for $80 or less I'd still buy it to match.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 17, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

gently caress it, it's not like I ever cared about the special features anyways. Ordered that German David Lynch box set today.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kuddles posted:

gently caress it, it's not like I ever cared about the special features anyways. Ordered that German David Lynch box set today.

Give me the movie and english subs and I'm good.

But even that is too much to ask on some blurays apparently.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

I'd pay extra for the snow globe the special edition of Fargo included way back when. It was of the wood chipper and half the snow was red. I'm not sure when it came out, but the family friend who had it got it with her VHS copy, so awhile ago.

I remember this very well. Around the same time they were selling one for Halloween as well. Although it's far less interesting because the concept doesn't work as well.

The pHo posted:

You can't possibly be referring to the 3" plastic sword that came with the Kill Bill Vol. 1 box set I paid $150 for...

Yeah, you probably are. The sad thing is, if I see a Vol. 2 box set anywhere for $80 or less I'd still buy it to match.

Why would you do this?

Sporadic posted:

Yellow Submarine preorder is back down to $16.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0079J28NW

And they even had the decency to include the original mono soundtrack.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 17, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

Why would you do this?

It's actually a really nice box set, just the sword part is crap. http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/unboxed-kill-bill-dvds/

I wanted the uncut version of the film (and still maintain it's a lot more fun, the disc has been put on a fair bit to show people who've never seen it), and it was a case of either paying about £30 and waiting ages to import the disc-only, or buying the box set from a local Korean/Chinese movie store for £80. I had the money, and it looks good on the shelf so hey.

I like the far East limited edition sets, most of the time they're no more expensive than the disc only and it's more down to nicer packaging and the odd extra than adding on $50 for some godawful figurine. My 'House of Flying Daggers' box is nice, limited to 2,000 and comes with a rad picture book and soundtrack as well as some other tat and only cost about $30 compared to $25 for the disc only. LOTR bookend DVD super editions? Yeah, no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
What's the consensus on the Miller's Cross blu?

Amazon.co.uk are doing a two for £12 sale (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000631173_pglink_1?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000631173&plpage=1) and I fancy picking up The Hustler and Miller's Cross.

• Locked thread