Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What software are you guys using to make videos? I tried camtasia out and after an hour all I had to show for it was high blood pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I want to buy my first 7-string guitar. I also want to own a guitar with a tremolo, for the first time. Am I better off not trying to accomplish both in the same guitar? In other words, if I get a 7-string with a trem (likely a FR), will I be setting myself up for a huge round of headaches?

Also, some of the guitars I'm looking at don't exist anywhere near me. Should I ever risk buying a guitar I haven't personally played?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, some of the guitars I'm looking at don't exist anywhere near me. Should I ever risk buying a guitar I haven't personally played?

That would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I'm in the market for a new guitar. I only started playing about a month ago but Southwest destroyed my guitar/case tonight.

I had a Mitchell MD200SCE from guitar center that I bought because the dude recommended it, so I thought this time around I'd get goon advice.

My budget is around $500 for an acoustic-electric. I really don't know what I am looking for in a guitar since I'm so new to playing. Something that's good quality and good for a beginner I guess?

Only preference I have is that I like the cut away style a lot, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

GuitarBizarre
Jan 21, 2012

by T. Couchfucker

MockingQuantum posted:

I want to buy my first 7-string guitar. I also want to own a guitar with a tremolo, for the first time. Am I better off not trying to accomplish both in the same guitar? In other words, if I get a 7-string with a trem (likely a FR), will I be setting myself up for a huge round of headaches?

I personally don't believe its possible to build a good 7 string with a standard scale length.

That roundly eliminates most options. Schester's have 26.5" scales or 27" depending on the model, so check those out.

Agreed though, don't buy before try.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I'm in the market for a new guitar. I only started playing about a month ago but Southwest destroyed my guitar/case tonight.

I had a Mitchell MD200SCE from guitar center that I bought because the dude recommended it, so I thought this time around I'd get goon advice.

My budget is around $500 for an acoustic-electric. I really don't know what I am looking for in a guitar since I'm so new to playing. Something that's good quality and good for a beginner I guess?

Only preference I have is that I like the cut away style a lot, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

I have a Takamine G Series EG463SC that ran me about five or six hundred with the case. I love mine, nice bright tone and pretty aesthetically. I recommend you try out some Takamines.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
If anybody is looking into recording their guitar, studio one just released a free version which supports unlimited tracks and pretty amazing comping tools

http://studioone.presonus.com/free/

I use the pro version and absolutely love it. The free version is more than adequate for recording guitars.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 12, 2012

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

I probably should have just let that recording go and not bothered to post it, listening to it again, it makes me sound way worse than I actually am. Maybe this weekend I'll get a new version up to redeem myself. (Sans bass since my friend who played on the track is about 300 miles away.)

This may be blasphemy in the guitar thread (;)) but personally I believe nothing will further your ear training and general ability to compose more than taking up piano. While these days I prefer my piano to my guitar I still play both and you'll find that they improve your understanding of music that much more when you play both.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I want this so bad :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuY9OyMsdg&feature=youtu.be

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'm a beginner too and haven't played a lot at that price point, but I heard a lot of good things about Seagulls so I tried one out and ended up buying it. The one I bought lists for about $500. I was originally going to get the S6 as it is about $400, but they had this one used so it was less than the S6, and the cut away was really something I wanted as well. It's this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-entourage-rustic-cw-qit-acoustic-electric-guitar

Anyway, I'm pretty new to guitar too so don't take my word, but it's my second acoustic and I loved the sound when I tried it out. So consider it when you go in to play some. I have used the electronics several times too and it sounds good and the chromatic tuner works well enough.

Here's a photo of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/7yFZT.jpg

A couple of things I don't like. The dots on the top of the neck don't mark the 3rd or 9th fret, and the rosette is some plastic piece, not painted on which is weird. I think that changed in the new models though.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Incredulous Dylan posted:

This may be blasphemy in the guitar thread (;)) but personally I believe nothing will further your ear training and general ability to compose more than taking up piano. While these days I prefer my piano to my guitar I still play both and you'll find that they improve your understanding of music that much more when you play both.

Alternately, picking up a little bit of music theory and classical guitar will get some of the same ideas across. The biggest practical difference that you see in classical solo pieces is the obvious separation of bass, melody, and harmony. For the uninitiated, it's a completely new way of seeing music that really opens it up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GuitarBizarre posted:

A capo shouldn't make you as out of tune as that is. Not by a long way. Also, Probably? I think you could do with developing your ear. I'm not talking some small difference, you're absolutely miles away from in tune...

I suppose it could if your intonation is WAY off, but nothing would make you in tune if your intonation is off by that much.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Rusty posted:

I'm a beginner too and haven't played a lot at that price point, but I heard a lot of good things about Seagulls so I tried one out and ended up buying it. The one I bought lists for about $500. I was originally going to get the S6 as it is about $400, but they had this one used so it was less than the S6, and the cut away was really something I wanted as well. It's this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-entourage-rustic-cw-qit-acoustic-electric-guitar

Anyway, I'm pretty new to guitar too so don't take my word, but it's my second acoustic and I loved the sound when I tried it out. So consider it when you go in to play some. I have used the electronics several times too and it sounds good and the chromatic tuner works well enough.

Here's a photo of mine:

http://i.imgur.com/7yFZT.jpg

A couple of things I don't like. The dots on the top of the neck don't mark the 3rd or 9th fret, and the rosette is some plastic piece, not painted on which is weird. I think that changed in the new models though.

I have this same guitar, in black. Definitely check it out if you can. It has a solid cedar top, which supposedly makes it a bit brighter than a spruce top, but I love the sound. Playability and factory setup on mine are great.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I love my cedar top Seagull folk but holy poo poo they aren't kidding when they say how easy it is to ding and scratch the top. I punctured mine with a fingernail the other day, and I don't have particularly unusual fingernails.

Now for a question, I've been playing guitar on and off for many years and really suck because I was never serious about learning. I finally decided to take it seriously, forget what little I knew, and practice regularly, mainly with Justin guitar. I can do most chords well, but I can't play a complete song for the life of me. The songbook has some great songs, but it seems absolutely impossible for me to figure out the strumming patterns based on the strumming diagrams alone, the only way I can get stuff like that down is to watch a video where it's very clearly done, but most songs from the songbook don't have a video. Can I get better at this? Am I just rhythmically challenged?

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
Does anyone have experience with the guitar kits from Guitar Fetish? I know the Xaviere guitars they make are pretty widely appreciated, and I'm thinking about getting into building my own guitar.

Hell, experience with kits of any kind would be helpful. I want to have an instrument I can fearlessly customize, but I don't think I'm ready to build from scratch.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Armed Neutrality posted:

I love my cedar top Seagull folk but holy poo poo they aren't kidding when they say how easy it is to ding and scratch the top. I punctured mine with a fingernail the other day, and I don't have particularly unusual fingernails.

Now for a question, I've been playing guitar on and off for many years and really suck because I was never serious about learning. I finally decided to take it seriously, forget what little I knew, and practice regularly, mainly with Justin guitar. I can do most chords well, but I can't play a complete song for the life of me. The songbook has some great songs, but it seems absolutely impossible for me to figure out the strumming patterns based on the strumming diagrams alone, the only way I can get stuff like that down is to watch a video where it's very clearly done, but most songs from the songbook don't have a video. Can I get better at this? Am I just rhythmically challenged?

That's the first ding of many, my friend. I have cedar Simon & Patrick (same factory) and it has a lot of little dents, mainly from me forgetting and drumming my fingers on there. It's not lacquered though so that's the tradeoff!

As far as rhythm goes, can you sing the rhythm? Like go da DA danana na DA? That's the first part, knowing in your head what it is you're trying to recreate. Can you tap it out with your fingers? The second part is being able to physically mimic that rhythmic pattern. After that, on guitar it's generally a case of keeping your hand moving up and down at a constant speed at the tempo of the song, and letting your pick/fingers strum against the strings as they pass at the appropriate times. Watch bands playing, especially strumming chords, and look at their strumming hand - it almost never stops moving up and down at the same speed. (Sometimes it does, like to throw in some faster strums, but then it's back to the regular tempo.)

Justin Geetar has a few videos on rhythm that show you basically how it works, but it's literally a case of a constant movement up and down, contacting the strings in time with the rhythm. You can tell by the sound as well (hitting the lower strings first sounds different from hitting the higher ones first) but generally you won't even need that cue

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I fiddled with guitars and amps at guitar center (seriously for a music store the clerks don't seem to know much about guitars....) and I'm thinking of going with this thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Standa...&tag=acleint-20

and this for the amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustan...&tag=acleint-20

I know the OP says to pay around 75% of the guitar's price for an amp, but the Mustang III in the same line is just...louder. I guess. At this point a practice amp is good enough ya?

I really wish the guitar came in that surf green color though. It seems the only one with that color is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Classi...&tag=acleint-20

An extra 200 bucks seems like too much for a different color and wonky old-style strings that are super hard to change apparently according to reviewers.

Question: Do guitars usually come with a cord and a strap? Is that something I have to snag separately? Also I've heard strap locks are a good idea? Basically what random poo poo should I pick up.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Question: Do guitars usually come with a cord and a strap? Is that something I have to snag separately? Also I've heard strap locks are a good idea? Basically what random poo poo should I pick up.
Stuff I found myself needing after getting my guitar was a capo and more picks(like 4-6, mostly hard, some medium), mostly different types to see what worked best for me. For me(YMMV), the store gave me a cable and strap, as well as a guitar bag which I upgraded to a padded bag with backpack straps because it was padded enough to reliably and safely store the guitar in without worrying about it getting messed up(would consider a stand otherwise). I didn't really need anything else, though I use iOS apps in place of a metronome and tuner, which are also important.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I have a leather guitar strap and don't feel like I really know how to adjust it properly.

It is the kind that has two pieces; the smaller one is a one-inch wide piece with a two-inch wide head with a slat in it; the other piece is the main two and a half inch wide strap with nine slats in it. I cannot figure out how to adjust it so the guitar is at a comfortable height, it is always way too low. The highest I can adjust it to is so the guitar is up to my stomach, but I'd like it to be even higher like almost up on my chest when I stand up.

I try to cinch it from the furthest away from the button slat so that the strap has the least slack but it just seems to pull through and ends up at almost the same length. This also creates an ugly looking bunching up of material and feels like there is a knot pressed against my back.

I've spent the last 45 minutes screwing around with and another 45 minutes looking at various videos of guys showing how to adjust a strap (some of whom have the look of this kind of thing is beneath them) and really haven't found anything that helps me very much.

Can anyone explain how or maybe point me to a decent tutorial? I feel like such a yutz not knowing how to do this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You put the thin piece on the reverse side of the main strap, passing it through the slit you want so only the one-inch piece is left - then you loopy loop the thin part through the next slit so it passes through the slit on the one-inch piece as well, then attach it to your guitar. So that one-inch square stays on the back. If it's still too long, as far as I know your only options are to make new slits or to add another hole where it attaches to the guitar on the thin piece.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I just go for a nice Planet Waves built in locking strap. Very handy, $20.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-2-polypropylene-planet-lock-guitar-strap/501561000001000
Sucker ain't coming off. Not as stylish as my nice leather strap hand painted by one of the New York Dolls, but I have no worries about messing with it, either.

And, really, I can't say a bad thing about that amp. Me, I'd have gone for a $99 Vox practice amp, myself. Quality over quantity.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-mini3-3w-battery-powered-guitar-combo-amp/h14148000001000
But I don't really mind not making incredibly loud noises while I'm practicing.

As for the guitar? If it speaks to you, it rocks for you. I do like the color.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

appropriatemetaphor posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Classi...&tag=acleint-20

An extra 200 bucks seems like too much for a different color and wonky old-style strings that are super hard to change apparently according to reviewers.

The Classic player series Strat has nicer pickups, better hardware, and a v-shaped neck compared to the Standard. They're both made in mexico so the workmanship will be about on par with each other.

The "wonky strings" you're referring to are the vintage-style tuners which aren't harder to change strings on; just different. Instead of just threading the string through the post you have to clip the end of the string first, put it in the tuner, then start tuning. It doesn't take that long to adjust to and any vintage strat is going to have them. It makes the headstock look a lot neater as you don't have the end of the string sticking out from the tuner.

Oachkatzlschwoaf
Oct 23, 2006

Two heads are better than one
I want to learn to play the guitar, and got an acoustic from my brother that was just sitting around collecting dust. The thing is, I'm left-handed, so I'm a bit hesitant to start out with a right-handed instrument.

If I just learn to play like a right-handed player would (i.e. strumming with the right hand), will that gently caress me up/lead to bad habits? Should I just go out and get a left-handed instrument right away?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Any reasonable shop can probably reverse the nut and bridge for you on an acoustic while you wait, provided the guitar's not crap. Shouldn't be that expensive, either.

GuitarBizarre
Jan 21, 2012

by T. Couchfucker
Just pick it up and spend a while playing it right handed. I'm a left hander who plays righty, a bass player at my work is right handed and plays lefty.

If you don't at least give it a try, I'd say you're making a mistake. The overwhelming majority of guitars are built for right handers and you'll swiftly become very annoyed with the left handed range available.

I've played for 11 years, and I can confidently say that any bad habits you pick up will not be due to using different hands, you're going to pick up any given bad habit the same way regardless. A good teacher, or well planned personal practice, will make that a non-issue whatever you do.

Source and References: Myself, since I have some significant reason to believe that I'm a fairly accomplished technical guitar player. Am I Paul Gilbert? No. Can I play? Sure as poo poo sherlock.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oachkatzlschwoaf posted:

I want to learn to play the guitar, and got an acoustic from my brother that was just sitting around collecting dust. The thing is, I'm left-handed, so I'm a bit hesitant to start out with a right-handed instrument.

If I just learn to play like a right-handed player would (i.e. strumming with the right hand), will that gently caress me up/lead to bad habits? Should I just go out and get a left-handed instrument right away?

Have you played an instrument left handed before? I write left handed but I play right handed. So I suppose it's whichever way feels the most comfortable.

But I'm just beginning too, so maybe I've hosed myself.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm also a lefty who plays guitars right-handed. I think playing guitar is a sufficiently foreign action for both hands that your learned motions, like grasping objects or writing with a pen, won't have much impact on how well you learn. Even if it did, it would just be a small head-start that would essentially disappear after a few months. After all, plenty of professional sports players are able to learn their games ambidextrously to an extent, simply because it's useful to know, for example, how to dribble with either hand.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
So, I think I want to start taking guitar lessons.

I've been playing guitar for about 10 years. I'm not a bad player, but I don't really have great guitar fundamentals. I often worry that my technique is unhealthy and that, if I were to start playing more regularly, I might do damage to my wrists/hands. I had a friend who fell into this trap and it's been a serious problem for him for years.

I have a degree in music, but I played trumpet in college. I still played a lot of guitar through college, though. So I have a good grasp on music theory, and especially ear training. I can read music, but not if I'm playing guitar.

I'd also really like to be able to improvise, even if it's just pentatonic stuff.

Those are the main reasons I'd like to take lessons. It's sort of intimidating to find an instructor who I think will fit my needs, and the only person I know who has taken guitar lessons hasn't taken them in years.

How should I go about finding a good instructor? Is it a matter of trial and error until I find someone I like? Is it uncouth to e-mail instructors, tell them my background and what I want, and see what they have to say?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oachkatzlschwoaf posted:

One thing people recommend is trying to play air guitar, and seeing which hand you naturally strum with. A lot of lefties are actually right-handed when it comes to guitar, in that sense

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think handedness is as big of a handicap as you'd think in guitar playing. It requires pretty reasonable dexterity with both hands to play guitar in any case. If you always played right handed, you'd probably not have a problem. I mean, heck, a lot of the complex hand stuff is done with the "wrong" hand when you play guitar.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Oachkatzlschwoaf posted:

One more on starting out left- vs right-handed: like others said, it really doesn't seem to matter much. I changed to right after a few weeks in, because I felt it would be better to always have access to stock guitars - having to pass up on great deals just because they're not easily convertible is a bummer. Some lefties have no problem with simply turning the guitar around without restringing, though.

Btw, if you want to go electric and cannot borrow a left-handed instrument for comparison, try to find an easily flippable starter guitar; one where it's easy to rearrange the bridge without running into intonation problems. Replacement nuts are cheap and can be fitted with little effort if you're careful.

GuitarBizarre
Jan 21, 2012

by T. Couchfucker

Underflow posted:

One more on starting out left- vs right-handed: like others said, it really doesn't seem to matter much. I changed to right after a few weeks in, because I felt it would be better to always have access to stock guitars - having to pass up on great deals just because they're not easily convertible is a bummer. Some lefties have no problem with simply turning the guitar around without restringing, though.

Btw, if you want to go electric and cannot borrow a left-handed instrument for comparison, try to find an easily flippable starter guitar; one where it's easy to rearrange the bridge without running into intonation problems. Replacement nuts are cheap and can be fitted with little effort if you're careful.

Never in my life have I ever encountered someone doing that who has actually been any loving good. Albert King is the only famous guitar player to do that, and realistically, he's not exactly the crown prince of technical facility.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Dick Dale?

edit: not that I'm recommending upside down stringing.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 18, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm trying to work on my up/down strumming, and I'm having trouble with the constant motion idea as well as palm muting when I need to while strumming. Are there any tips/exercises you guys can recommend to help with this? I'm playing along with justinguitar's lesson on "Comfortably Numb" to practice but it sounds like poo poo when I do it. Is this just another one of those "practice more, you rear end in a top hat" things?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

explosivo posted:

I'm trying to work on my up/down strumming, and I'm having trouble with the constant motion idea as well as palm muting when I need to while strumming. Are there any tips/exercises you guys can recommend to help with this? I'm playing along with justinguitar's lesson on "Comfortably Numb" to practice but it sounds like poo poo when I do it. Is this just another one of those "practice more, you rear end in a top hat" things?

Man I think you expect things to happen too fast because every other week you post the same "hey guys I practiced the last couple days but I still suck..should I keep practicing?" post. The answer is yes, it will take years and you will gradually improve.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Haha, you're probably right. Thanks :downs:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

If you have strumming issues, try listening to the actual track, and listen for the actual strums. Try tapping out that rhythm like you're playing drums, or try and sing it like "duh-nuh-nuh DUH-nuh-nuh"(also, tap your foot to the beat to try and get a feel for the timing). You need to "get" that rhythm and feel so that your strumming "makes sense" instead of trying to guess it.

Go through the strumming exercises justinguitar has; they're pretty good about building in upstrokes in a specific rhythm, and I think he does triplets in one too(which is what I'd recommend: trying to both tap out and then practice with a 1 2-3-4 2 2-3-4 3 2-3-4 4 2-3-4 rhythm like that one Christmas song(carol of the bells?). )

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

duckfarts posted:

This is what I was looking for, thank you. I didn't even realize he had a strumming exercise on his site, although I probably should have known that he would.

GuitarBizarre
Jan 21, 2012

by T. Couchfucker

explosivo posted:

This is what I was looking for, thank you. I didn't even realize he had a strumming exercise on his site, although I probably should have known that he would.

...you wouldn't happen to be the same Explosivo that posted on the Megadeth forums way back when, would you? Its a longshot, I know, but it would have been around 2004 ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nope. Must've been another Tenacious D fan, or perhaps a Mexican fan of explosions :v: