Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mnemosyne posted:

I seem to remember people saying that Bloodraven had said something about Coldhands having been around for a long time, and some people interpreted that as like 100 years or something. I think I also remember someone saying that there would be no reason for him to cover his face if he were Benjen. (Which I disagree with since I think it makes sense that he might not want his nephew to see him as some kind of weird zombie.)

Wasn't his face also covered when he was around Sam? Whats he care if some fatty sees his zombie face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Martin Van Buren posted:

Wasn't his face also covered when he was around Sam? Whats he care if some fatty sees his zombie face?

He somehow knew Sam would notice the resemblance between Zombie Benjen and his lover Jon.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

quote:

On the HBO forums, there is a thread titled "After Episode 13 GOT Season two is starting off weak..." and the first post starts with "After three episodes they have drug out the Arya Stark thing way too long, either get her home or kill her. I love that little gal, would like her to remain, but come on get the story moving"

At first I was a little pissed that they changed some of the stuff in the books but now I kind of want them to just go hog wild and spin the poo poo off into their own creation.

I mean, they'll have to if they want to keep the audience through Dance with Dragons, right?

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

He somehow knew Sam would notice the resemblance between Zombie Benjen and his lover Jon.

Please don't spoil the good work this series has done for normalising homosexual relationships in popular media by just accusing any two men of being gay, Jon only kept Sam around to seem better by comparison to wilding girls thx.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vertigus posted:

At first I was a little pissed that they changed some of the stuff in the books but now I kind of want them to just go hog wild and spin the poo poo off into their own creation.

I mean, they'll have to if they want to keep the audience through Dance with Dragons, right?

We can only hope they'll take elements of AFFC and ADWD and a heavy dose of their own writing.

Algol Star posted:

Please don't spoil the good work this series has done for normalising homosexual relationships in popular media by just accusing any two men of being gay, Jon only kept Sam around to seem better by comparison to wilding girls thx.

Fair enough. Though at least Sam got Craster's sloppy daughter-wife seconds.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

probably he died by getting his jaw punched off and he's just wearing the scarf as a courtesy to anything with eyes

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Martin Van Buren posted:

Maybe he's all emo about being a zombie, so he keeps his face covered because he's like "OH GOD I'm a monster, don't look at me."

Honestly though, I think his face is covered because GRRM is completely infatuated with "surprise" revelations about the identities of characters, and just can't help himself at this point. Everybody is secretly somebody else.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Algol Star posted:

I'm pretty sure these books have only undermined the popular opinion of any and all sexual relationships that exist on this earth, plus a few new ones he made up. I mean, maybe the act of fellatio on a human vegetable has some vibrant and active internet community full of its own nomenclature and abbreviations and list of must-read books for those exploring the fetish, but I sure as hell am not going to look for it.

EDIT: Since they allow loving anything over there, what would its catchy subreddit name be? /r/blowACarrot? :suicide: The internet and GURM have broken me.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 17, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mnemosyne posted:

Everybody is secretly somebody else.

This is why Coldhands HAS to be Branjen or whatever. Not because of some plot reason, but because the author is hacky with stuff like this, especially after the second or third book.

Happy name day Contra. May the Seven smile upon you, may your cakes ever be lemon and may your manhood ever glisten.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This is why Coldhands HAS to be Branjen or whatever. Not because of some plot reason, but because the author is hacky with stuff like this, especially after the second or third book.

But, as an absolute fucker, GRRM is going to retcon his own poo poo so R + L ≠ J and so forth just to jerk his fans around. Any logical conclusion you can draw from the books will be shat upon like so much Dothraki sea.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

Okay, so I got home from lab today and found a box on my doorstep with a copy of A Storm of Swords and a note:

So whoever is reading this thread and gave this to me, thank you. I needed a new copy of ASoS as my old one is pretty much unreadable.

On the other hand, I'm a little scared that one of you knows my exact address. :stare:
I'm guessing it was someone in the bad thread IRC channel since that's the only place I really told anyone that today was my 21st birthday (woohoo, I can drink alcohol now... jk it's Utah, all our alcohol sucks).

Anyway thanks again, mysterious gift-giving person.

Wasn't me. :tinfoil:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Happy name day Contra. May the Seven smile upon you, may your cakes ever be lemon and may your manhood ever glisten.

May your swamp be Myrish?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Mnemosyne posted:

Maybe he's all emo about being a zombie, so he keeps his face covered because he's like "OH GOD I'm a monster, don't look at me."

Honestly though, I think his face is covered because GRRM is completely infatuated with "surprise" revelations about the identities of characters, and just can't help himself at this point. Everybody is secretly somebody else.

Nah, the best way to subvert that is to have someone very obviously be someone else and then fail to ever do anything with it. Add enough of those red herrings in there and you can't be sure your guesses are right or wrong. Of course, this comes at the price of making the books goddamned boring as hell to read if you actually care about plot moving anywhere.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
This has been a great nameday. I only wish that someday I will get my head chopped off and have you sew one of your cat-heads on my body. (Everyone in here loves cats so there you go)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

May your swamp be Myrish?

May your fat pink mast ever jut upward.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Contra Calculus posted:

This has been a great nameday. I only wish that someday I will get my head chopped off and have you sew one of your cat-heads on my body. (Everyone in here loves cats so there you go)

Our only doctor will halfass it with the head of a dog he drove over.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Nah, the best way to subvert that is to have someone very obviously be someone else and then fail to ever do anything with it. Add enough of those red herrings in there and you can't be sure your guesses are right or wrong. Of course, this comes at the price of making the books goddamned boring as hell to read if you actually care about plot moving anywhere.

I can't decide if Stannis/Jon Snow/Dany/Hot Pie/Ser Pounce/Dorkstar/Fat Walda is Azor Ahai Reborn is the biggest red herring, or if it's "Jon Snow's parents are who cares?"

Either way, Davos better find Rickon completely feral and insane.

Also, didn't Jaime and Brienne appear in ADWD? What happened? I vividly remember the scenery I imagined, but not a single drat word they exchanged.

whowhatwhere posted:

Our only doctor will halfass it with the head of a dog he drove over.

When CC dies I'm going to sew his head onto a corgi's body and put him in a place with lots of stairs.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I can't decide if Stannis/Jon Snow/Dany/Hot Pie/Ser Pounce/Dorkstar/Fat Walda is Azor Ahai Reborn is the biggest red herring, or if it's "Jon Snow's parents are who cares?"

Also, didn't Jaime and Brienne appear in ADWD? What happened? I vividly remember the scenery I imagined, but not a single drat word they exchanged.

Jaime barged in on that nobleman having sex and was snarky, and then Brienne took him away saying the Hound was holding Sansa hostage. So probably leading him to Stoneheart.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I thought she was leading him out in to the woods to be branded have swamp thing cut his throat.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Tony Danza Claus posted:

How is that different from regular Rickon?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Poor Yoren.

And poor whoever that blonde kid was that got stabbed in the throat. Then again, he should have known better.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Octy posted:

Poor Yoren.

And poor whoever that blonde kid was that got stabbed in the throat. Then again, he should have known better.

That was Lommy Greenhands. And at least Yoren went out like a boss.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Unnamed One posted:

How is that different from regular Rickon?

He'll do something.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
He'll be wearing Osha as a skin.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

they may or may not be cutting out jojen and meera and the dang walder boys in the show because I don't know if I've even heard them mentioned

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But...but...then who will never grow up to be a Frey? :ohdear:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I love the non-spoiler thread so much (emphasis mine):

Can-O-Raid posted:

Yeah, to the people in Westeros Dany isn't really an issue, she doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. The only reason we know she isn't going to disappear without a trace into the wastes and die of dehydration or something is because that would make following her story from the begining of the series completely pointless. The characters don't know they're in a fantasy series, they have no idea that magic and dragons and poo poo are real, they're just trying to win the war. Osha is the exception, but her warnings are mostly so that she can serve as a mouthpiece for the savvy viewer going "You know you guys are hosed no matter who wins, right?". They'll never listen, just keep fighting to be the poo poo king of rear end in a top hat mountain until someone wins or, more likely, the zombies and dragons show up and show everyone what its like when poo poo really gets real.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krinkle posted:

they may or may not be cutting out jojen and meera and the dang walder boys in the show because I don't know if I've even heard them mentioned

The Frey boys are running around in one scene set in the Godswood of Winterfell unnamed of course, but there...

In other news I have reached April of 2008 in the proto-Bad Thread and GRRM is not yet an absolute fucker. However, there has been vigorous debate over the pronounciation of Aeron as "damp hair" or "damfare", the identity of Coldhands, Tyrion: secret Targ theories, discussions on the number of limbs on dragons and the anticipation of Dany doing something.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

crazypeltast52 posted:

The Frey boys are running around in one scene set in the Godswood of Winterfell unnamed of course, but there...

In other news I have reached April of 2008 in the proto-Bad Thread and GRRM is not yet an absolute fucker. However, there has been vigorous debate over the pronounciation of Aeron as "damp hair" or "damfare", the identity of Coldhands, Tyrion: secret Targ theories, discussions on the number of limbs on dragons and the anticipation of Dany doing something.

Oh, Dany did something, alright! :allears:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

crazypeltast52 posted:

Based on memory, I'm betting that it doesn't start until 2009.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Jaime barged in on that nobleman having sex and was snarky, and then Brienne took him away saying the Hound was holding Sansa hostage. So probably leading him to Stoneheart.
She was leading him into the woods to reenact some of the Bad Thread Fan-Fic scenes

Happy 21st Birthday, Contra, don't accept any drinks from any Grrmalikes

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Based on memory, I'm betting that it doesn't start until 2009.

Ah ok. I intend to post the first use of absolute fucker when I reach it, possibly more details as they emerge. Hopefully my thread archeology isn't detracting too much from regular book discussion, the Giants winning the Super Bowl prompted a more muted reaction in that thread compared to now, but GRRM did make a blog post about his heart stopping multiple times that game and the reactions were of actual concern before delving into fury at the upcoming 6 month of not writing. Robert Jordan's death also occurs in that thread with actual sympathy for GRRM's loss of a friend and views the people referencing his own impending demise with a bit of distaste.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

whowhatwhere posted:

He'll be wearing Osha as a skin.

This would be awesome. So I know it won't happen. Though I can dream since GRRM will never finish his series, much less write another paragraph about loving Rickon.

Rickon, the forgotten Stark. Might as well have not been born save for Shaggydog biting people and livening up things.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Ah ok. I intend to post the first use of absolute fucker when I reach it, possibly more details as they emerge. Hopefully my thread archeology isn't detracting too much from regular book discussion, the Giants winning the Super Bowl prompted a more muted reaction in that thread compared to now, but GRRM did make a blog post about his heart stopping multiple times that game and the reactions were of actual concern before delving into fury at the upcoming 6 month of not writing. Robert Jordan's death also occurs in that thread with actual sympathy for GRRM's loss of a friend and views the people referencing his own impending demise with a bit of distaste.

How times have changed.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

empty sea posted:

This would be awesome. So I know it won't happen. Though I can dream since GRRM will never finish his series, much less write another paragraph about loving Rickon.

Rickon, the forgotten Stark. Might as well have not been born save for Shaggydog biting people and livening up things.

After this November, the United States will have had seen more presidential elections than Bran chapters since the publication of Storm.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm guessing it was someone in the bad thread IRC channel since that's the only place I really told anyone that today was my 21st birthday (woohoo, I can drink alcohol now... jk it's Utah, all our alcohol sucks).
Wait. You're younger than I am. And I turn 25 in a week. :psyduck: Somehow I imagined it to be the other way around.

Maybe it's because I automatically imagine everyone on SA being in their 30s or at least late 20s.

Wait, does this mean you're not morbidly obese or a neckbeard either? What kind of a goon are you?!

Anyway, happy gurmday. :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

crazypeltast52 posted:

I have no intention of doing thread archeology myself, so please, post the hilarious ramblings and hopes of the proto-bad thread.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

What page are you up to? I can work backwards if you like.

e: Got it. Went from the end of the thread to April 30 using CTRL-F so unless Firefox hosed up, this is the first instance I can find:

Bummey on February 6 2009 posted:

What an absolute fucker.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=205#post356158744

Octy fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 17, 2012

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I have been away from the forums for over a week, doing some heavy soul searching. I was becoming too caught up in shitposting in this thread, and when I noticed I had the highest post count I decided to step back and evaluate my life. Perhaps I needed to mature and do something more constructive with my time.

Then I watched Season 2 Episode 3 of hit show "Game of Thrones" and thank you HBO you loving delivered on all the Renly/Loras/Margaery action. Margaery Tyrell rules, gently caress the Queen of Thorns we don't need her, all I need is Margaery-san, definitely need an avatar now :swoon:

p.s. welcome to adulthood contra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice work Octy! I've been reading through the posts, up to page 110ish so far and this prophet appeared:

Gaussian on April 8th, 2008 posted:

This guy for Tyrion.

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/

Mainly because he's actually a dwarf, but I hear he was good in The Station Agent.

Link might be broken because it's from my phone, but that is Peter Dinklage being cast as Tyrion by bad threads past.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=113#post342050362