Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Any thoughts on Quaffle being part Anatolian Shepherd? Someone suggested it based on his head, which is an almost perfect match for a lot of the lighter-boned Anatolians. He's about 25 inches at the shoulder and weighs 70 pounds at a year old, so he's obviously a lot smaller than purebred Anatolians, but if he's an Anatolian/Husky mix that would put him in the right range, I would think.

I'm comparing him to Anatolians like these, not the huge really mastiffy ones:

That last one looks ESPECIALLY like this one of Quaffle:

Personality wise, he's very independent; he does his thing and we do ours although luckily for us his "thing" usually means "lay near people and stare at them until they feel guilty for not petting him". He's very laid back. I've taught him "sit" but he only sits if there's something in it for him, otherwise he just wanders around the vicinity and ignores me. However if food is involved his butt will hit the floor so hard that he has almost fallen over backwards a couple of times. He adores people, all people, and has no protective instincts whatsoever. We've had workmen in and out of the house several times over the last couple of months and every time he just trots up to them and lays his head against their legs so they'll pet him. If he is part Anatolian he sure missed the protective instincts of that breed. He doesn't bark, he doesn't dig, he doesn't pull at the leash, and doesn't try to jump the fence/break out of the yard, but I definitely wouldn't trust him off leash because as I said he pretty much just does whatever he wants to do without regard for what people are doing.

My great grandparents had a Great Pyrenees out in the country when I was little who acted pretty much like Quaffle and was practically my babysitter, following me everywhere outside and letting me use him as a pillow when I got tired. I never saw a sign of aggression from him against anyone, even people he didn't know (he was very friendly with strangers), so maybe I've just had good experiences with livestock guardian dogs?

Maybe Quaffle really is just a German Shepherd/Malamute mix like the rescue we got him from suggested, but for that to be true he has to have some sort of hound in him too and even then I'm having trouble matching up that head with anything but an Anatolian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Does anyone have any suggestions on what Leia is?

When I got her, the humane society said German Shepherd/Husky cross. What do you guys think?

You Look Adopted
Mar 31, 2010
This is Milo. He's a German Shepard/mix. No idea about guessing what he's mixed with besides maybe lab or something. He's a extremely lovable fella that loves playing frisbee and getting belly rubs.

His first car ride:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Vintimus Prime posted:

When I got her, the humane society said German Shepherd/Husky cross. What do you guys think?

How big is she? Her face makes me think malamute more than husky.

Either way she is adorable. I love big fluffy dogs.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

Vintimus Prime posted:

That's such a gorgeous dog, holy poo poo. I think GSD makes sense, but at first glance something about the fur made me think "collie?"

And Aravenna, I think part anatolian could work, although I don't know how rare the breed is. They sometimes look sort of like generic brown-dog to me, but those (cute) ears are a good match.

LOLlyGagMe
Jul 11, 2004
Two atoms short of a molecule
This is Huey stealing his bag of food.

We call him a 'Bitsa,' as in bits of everything. His face says staffy, but we have no idea what he's mixed with to get a 26kg lanky thing.

Here he is playing with his Samoyed friend.

Now you can see his body and muscles!

Lots of people tell us he's a good looking dog. They don't come home to this.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

How big is she? Her face makes me think malamute more than husky.

Either way she is adorable. I love big fluffy dogs.

She's about 71lbs. Are those doggie dna tests accurate? I'm more curious than anything else!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

LOLlyGagMe posted:

Lots of people tell us he's a good looking dog. They don't come home to this.

I assume you're Aussie based on the Advance food? :)

He looks like he could be staffy x heeler with some kelpie or collie thrown in. It's hard to tell really, he's probably a mutt of a mutt. But there's nothing wrong with that!

Vintimus Prime, the DNA tests are only as accurate as the data the company has. Some can give you a good idea but if the dog is really mixed, it may come out with some screwy stuff.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
@Vintimus Prime: Also agreeing that Leia looks malamute in the face. Malamute/collie or GSD maybe? Do you have any more pictures of Leia?

@You Look Adopted: Are you sure he's a mix? It'd be easier to tell if you have a better body shot of him.

Aravenna posted:

Any thoughts on Quaffle being part Anatolian Shepherd?

That last one looks ESPECIALLY like this one of Quaffle:

I think it's possible, and more likely than greyhound. What part of the country do you live in (I promise not to stalk you... except to pet Quaffle)? I've seen a least a couple Anatolians in my city, but I imagine they're more common in more farm-y places.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Skizzles posted:

I think it's possible, and more likely than greyhound. What part of the country do you live in (I promise not to stalk you... except to pet Quaffle)? I've seen a least a couple Anatolians in my city, but I imagine they're more common in more farm-y places.

I'm in north Alabama, so yeah Anatolians and Great Pyrenees and things like that are probably more common around here than a lot of other places. And Quaffle would LOOOOOVE to be petted. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I don't know if you know PIer huskyjackal (she doesn't post much anymore), but she's down in Birmingham right now. I'm not really sure why that matters but she's supposed to be getting a ride up to Tennessee soon to get her car out of the impound lot and I just imagined a Diaz/Quaffle playdate would be the cutest thing ever. :allears:

Anyway, to stay on topic, anyone wanna take a stab at guessing what this dog is? GSD/??? I'd estimate he's about 50 lbs.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Skizzles posted:

@Vintimus Prime: Also agreeing that Leia looks malamute in the face. Malamute/collie or GSD maybe? Do you have any more pictures of Leia?

I do! Here are a few more pics of her:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah, my vote is malamute/GSD. Pretty. :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Vintimus Prime posted:

She's gorgeous. :swoon:

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Here's Barkley again (last time was like 3 years ago with waffleimages). I just saw in the wikipedia pictures of Australian kelpies that the black and tan ones look a lot like him! Are kelpies common at all in south Florida? He was listed as a lab/gsd, and I think he looks a little dobermany. But he's 60 lbs (55 if he wasn't a bit fat), which I think is a bit low for a mix of larger breeds.

Anyway, he's a cool dude.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

mickeymickey posted:

Cross-posting from the small dogs thread! This is my little guy Rory:

I adopted him from the local humane society a few months ago. The vet thinks he's about three. He weighs 12 lbs.

Here he is with the 16 lb cat, for reference. The shelter listed him as a "terrier mix."

He almost never barks, except at other dogs. Honestly it's hard to tell too much about his personality because he's still very shy and withdrawn. He's pretty low energy, but is always up for a nice walk. He loves me and tolerates my boyfriend. He's doing pretty well with clicker training, but I think his shyness gets in the way of his learning certain things. He's not very food-motivated.

My guesses for possible contributing breeds are dachshund and chihuahua, and pit bull has also been suggested. I'd love to hear anyone's guesses! I find dog breeds and genetics so interesting, although at the end of the day it doesn't much matter what he is. He's my special guy :3:

ETA that he has a little curly tail, like a pug. It always curls to the left :3:

Maybe it's a doxie/rottie mix - stranger things have bread. Or maybe pug/rottie, or maybe chi in there? That coloring shouts rottie to me, but everything else :iiam: but 100% cute. I just love your Rory updates and pics!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Sutureself posted:

Here's Barkley again (last time was like 3 years ago with waffleimages). I just saw in the wikipedia pictures of Australian kelpies that the black and tan ones look a lot like him! Are kelpies common at all in south Florida? He was listed as a lab/gsd, and I think he looks a little dobermany. But he's 60 lbs (55 if he wasn't a bit fat), which I think is a bit low for a mix of larger breeds.

Anyway, he's a cool dude.

If I saw that dog on the street I would say he's a kelpie. I don't know how common they are in the States though, and he doesn't look much like a show-bred one.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

mombot posted:

Maybe it's a doxie/rottie mix - stranger things have bread. Or maybe pug/rottie, or maybe chi in there? That coloring shouts rottie to me, but everything else :iiam: but 100% cute. I just love your Rory updates and pics!

I think min pin is way more likely than rottie, with his size.

My guess is min pin x boston or staffy.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 18, 2012

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Yeah, my vote is malamute/GSD. Pretty. :3:

Very cool PI. Thanks so much! If anyone wants more pics, I got them lol.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

If I saw that dog on the street I would say he's a kelpie. I don't know how common they are in the States though, and he doesn't look much like a show-bred one.

Yeah, when those photos popped up my first thought was Kelpie too.

It's probably not too likely, as they're not a common breed in the States, but it's a possibility. Definitely looks like one.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

a life less posted:

Yeah, when those photos popped up my first thought was Kelpie too.

It's probably not too likely, as they're not a common breed in the States, but it's a possibility. Definitely looks like one.

If the poster lives in a rural area, its possible. There have been several Kelpies, ACD mixes, hounds, and BC mixes in the shelter I got my dog from.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have met at least one Kelpie in my area (well, I think it was a Kelpie mix). That dog was obsessed with his soccer ball. :stare:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Kind of random, but for some reason I remember that I brought up with my old roomie that in my area (E. Washington), mixes of pit and dachshund were now the thing to have and breed. She thought it was the weirdest thing ever. I used to work with this girl who bred this mix and loved it...but then she was a redneck who lived in a house with dirt floors. Plus there was a news story from a while back that AC was going to charge some idiot breeders for cruelty because they bred their male pit to their female doxie, and as a result she died from giving birth or something?

Anyway, have you guys heard of this mix being popular in your area, or any other strange mixes gaining popularity?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Thank you for the responses! I got him at a shelter in Boca, which is fairly urban sprawl, but it's a no-kill so they take in from all over the place, and we certainly have some redneck/farm areas out west! He doesn't act like a herding dog, but then, he also doesn't act like a retriever for a guard dog. I will consider him "maybe kelpie mutt." Here are a couple baby pictures, you know, for research!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Sutureself posted:

Thank you for the responses! I got him at a shelter in Boca, which is fairly urban sprawl, but it's a no-kill so they take in from all over the place, and we certainly have some redneck/farm areas out west! He doesn't act like a herding dog, but then, he also doesn't act like a retriever for a guard dog. I will consider him "maybe kelpie mutt." Here are a couple baby pictures, you know, for research!

My god that dog is precious. :3:

I can def. see the kelpie from the ears and maybe the coloration.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Skizzles posted:

I don't know if you know PIer huskyjackal (she doesn't post much anymore), but she's down in Birmingham right now. I'm not really sure why that matters but she's supposed to be getting a ride up to Tennessee soon to get her car out of the impound lot and I just imagined a Diaz/Quaffle playdate would be the cutest thing ever. :allears:
Son of a... I JUST GOT HOME. >:C I can stay with my friend in Huntsville, depending on how close you are to there, or I have a friend in Jasper but that's kind of..less North Ala and more.. Butthole of Ala.

Agreed, a Quaffle/Diaz [aka Deezy, so does that make it.. Queezy??] playdate on my way down to the Drrty Souf is in order. :colbert:
Probably a lot of this, obviously the Boxer is a stand-in for Quaffle there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
When my family rescued Reese a couple months ago, we were told she was a Corgi/Sheltie mix. This was a filthy loving lie. Here is Reese and her sister Mel:

And here is one just of her, which came out dark but you can see how she stands in it at least, her face and coloring is obvious from the first one:

Since the size difference doesn't really come across in the picture, Mel is a full-grown purebred Tibetan Terrier. Reese is already taller and longer than Mel, and she's like four or five months old now. She sheds, she's extremely clever, she whines and cries when she wants something and has a deep, booming bark she uses on intruders. Intruders are people encroaching on the house without being properly greeted by a human she knows. Anyone who we're happy to see is instantly her best friend forever and she loves them. She is a great big ball of inexhaustable energy, although that's probably got something to do with being a puppy.

What the hell kind of dog do I have? Our current best guess is Doberman and Other Stuff.

I will take more pictures for you if you want them and she holds still long enough.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 28, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CapnAndy posted:

When my family rescued Reese a couple months ago, we were told she was a Corgi/Sheltie mix. This was a filthy loving lie. Here is Reese and her sister Mel:

And here is one just of her, which came out dark but you can see how she stands in it at least, her face and coloring is obvious from the first one:

Since the size difference doesn't really come across in the picture, Mel is a full-grown purebred Tibetan Terrier. Reese is already taller and longer than Mel, and she's like four or five months old now. She sheds, she's extremely clever, she whines and cries when she wants something and has a deep, booming bark she uses on intruders. Intruders are people encroaching on the house without being properly greeted by a human she knows. Anyone who we're happy to see is instantly her best friend forever and she loves them. She is a great big ball of inexhaustable energy, although that's probably got something to do with being a puppy.

What the hell kind of dog do I have? Our current best guess is Doberman and Other Stuff.

I will take more pictures for you if you want them and she holds still long enough.

I will eat my hat if that dog isn't part or mostly Australian Cattle Dog. Border Collie is a possibility too.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I immediately thought ACD mix too, not sure what else. Love how symmetrical his markings are though. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

CapnAndy posted:

That there is a cattle dog mix if I've ever seen one. She reminds me a lot of a dog from a different forum:

Whose DNA results were oh so helpful:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That there is a cattle dog mix if I've ever seen one. She reminds me a lot of a dog from a different forum:

Whose DNA results were oh so helpful:

Okay, yeah, those two could have been from the same litter.

Reese's ears are funny, by the way -- she tends to hold them in that right one flopped over, left one straight up position, but they've got absurd mobility. They can go from flopped over to standing up straight to slicked straight back, and rotate. Is that an ACD thing or another clue?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

What is Quinn? Why do people keep asking if she is half husky?

She weighs about 35-40 lbs, very intelligent, stubborn, makes noises like she has a Balrog stuck in her throat when she plays or wants something, and has an uncanny way of looking at you like she knows your very souls contents.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

She weighs about 35-40 lbs, very intelligent, stubborn, makes noises like she has a Balrog stuck in her throat when she plays or wants something, and has an uncanny way of looking at you like she knows your very souls contents.

Border collie/JRT something maybe? I really see no husky in her at all. The smudge on her face and the little triangle ears are adorable.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Lab/JRT?

Possibly Lab/pointer-y thing?

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

TVs Ian posted:

I would go with husky/pointer, mostly because of the slight ticking plus double coat.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
I was thinking pointer/lab mix. She has the posture and color of a pointer, but the coat length and blocky head looks like lab to me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I don't see husky either, I would also say lab/pointer maybe.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

huskyjackal posted:

Son of a... I JUST GOT HOME. >:C I can stay with my friend in Huntsville, depending on how close you are to there, or I have a friend in Jasper but that's kind of..less North Ala and more.. Butthole of Ala.

Agreed, a Quaffle/Diaz [aka Deezy, so does that make it.. Queezy??] playdate on my way down to the Drrty Souf is in order. :colbert:
Probably a lot of this, obviously the Boxer is a stand-in for Quaffle there.

That would be amazing. I'm in Huntsville so it works out perfectly. Quaff's got an ear infection right now and I still need to get him a good car harness so I feel comfortable taking him outside the immediate neighborhood, but once that's taken care of we can figure something out. :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Just for the record, we were pretty "Huh?" about the husky thing but like 8 different people have asked in the last few months. I think it might be because her tail curls and people are extraordinarily stupid.

My wife would like to point out that Quinn is actually in the 40-50 lb range, so...oops :downs:. Her shoulder comes about knee-height on me (5'9").

Her coat is very thick and blows twice (epic tufting!!!!) year, with constant shedding in between. It has a lot more ticking than most pictures show and her skin is spotted everywhere.

Her background is, she came to the rescue from a farm, with a bunch of other BC and BC mix type dogs from Buttfuck Nowhere, Ohio because all the dogs were starving to death and diseased. She had a litter of 9 puppies 3 weeks after coming in to the rescue who ranged from white/medium length or smooth coated w/black ticking to fully ticked smooths to long haired black and white or tricolor. So, we have kind of always assumed she was a BC + ? mixed farm mutt.

And now, I'm even more confused :D I don't really care, it's just fun to mull over, even though we'll never know for sure. All that really matters is she is a Good Dog.

Hm. Speculating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

Her background is, she came to the rescue from a farm, with a bunch of other BC and BC mix type dogs from Buttfuck Nowhere, Ohio because all the dogs were starving to death and diseased. She had a litter of 9 puppies 3 weeks after coming in to the rescue who ranged from white/medium length or smooth coated w/black ticking to fully ticked smooths to long haired black and white or tricolor. So, we have kind of always assumed she was a BC + ? mixed farm mutt.

And now, I'm even more confused :D I don't really care, it's just fun to mull over, even though we'll never know for sure. All that really matters is she is a Good Dog.

Buttfuck, OH? White with ticking? You've got yourself a Mid-Ohio Spottihund, in the medium size. There are tons of them and I'm guessing most are ACD/BC/terrier/farmdog conglomerations. There have been at least 5 through the rescue I got Major from in the last year.

The thick hair and her coloration could come from husky, I just don't see a ton of husky in her other features. Her ears are sort of like dropped husky ears I guess. I don't see any lab really and she almost definitely couldn't be half pure lab because she's white and labs don't generally carry extreme white. She's vaguely lab shaped but most dogs are vaguely lab shaped when you get down to it. It's sort of the generic dog shape.