Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

Combat shotguns absolutely wreck anything that doesn't have much in the way of armor.

The second something pops out the Unnatural Toughness or something carapace-armor grade, captain von shotgunhaver goes to poo poo in a hurry.

I can attest to this. Armor is the best counter to shotguns, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well given the level of interchangeability there's nothing preventing you from using any of the source material with any of the rules sets. My understanding is that, if you're going to use a given rule framework, the BC one is the most up to date.

Does it really matter? Probably not.

Okay, that's what I figured. But just to clarify, are the basic combat rules and everything the same? I mean I know, like, DH handles full auto bonuses and stuff differently than the newer books.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Locomotive breath posted:

I can attest to this. Armor is the best counter to shotguns, for sure.

Well, good thing they're going to be dealing with things with armor. The Cleric's best friend (outside of the Emperor) is her Combat Shotgun. It's beastly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You know, all these different versions are making it hard for me to choose which book to get! I want to pick one up, but I'm constantly changing my mind on which one.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Karma Guard posted:

Well, good thing they're going to be dealing with things with armor. The Cleric's best friend (outside of the Emperor) is her Combat Shotgun. It's beastly.

Redemptionism is the light, my friend. In both a metaphorical, spiritual sense and a literal, burning, screaming, dying sense.

There's a bit in one of the published adventures for deathwatch where you run across an Imperial missionary. There's a big diplomatic Thing that goes to poo poo, and the adventure notes that his table is doing just fine courtesy of the Missionary's rallying his table to fight the enemy while laying waste to them with a flamethrower. There is the beautiful moment where the part of you that is still a sane human being asks "why the hell would a cleric bring his flamethrower to a peaceful diplomatic function," and the part of you that is into 40K responds "because it would be weird to borrow someone else's. duh."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

S.J. posted:

Okay, that's what I figured. But just to clarify, are the basic combat rules and everything the same? I mean I know, like, DH handles full auto bonuses and stuff differently than the newer books.

Yeah. If you play one version you'll immediately be familiar with the basic combat rules of the others, aside from some minor things. Everything else is cross-compatible. For example right now in my ork CYOA I'm using rulebooks from every system except Black Crusade.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. If you play one version you'll immediately be familiar with the basic combat rules of the others, aside from some minor things. Everything else is cross-compatible. For example right now in my ork CYOA I'm using rulebooks from every system except Black Crusade.

wait what

what is this CYOA

i demand a link

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

S.J. posted:

wait what

what is this CYOA

i demand a link

Behold, the adventures of Aristorkrates.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467873

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

S.J. posted:

The skill system's slightly different, BC consolidated a bunch of skills but there's a table in the BC book listing all the changes, so it's easy to tell players their Silent Move +10 advances actually buy them Stealth +10.
There's a change in how Degrees of Success are calculated (in BC passing a check gives you 1 DoS, +1 per 10, rather than just +1 per 10) but if you use the BC combat rules you shouldn't really have to change anything.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So. Cybernetics loving rock. After a shopping spree that turned my Void Master into the bastard child of Riddick and Adam Jensen. I can now Dual Wield Melta Guns with a free firing actions when moving and another anytime during the round. I also get more armour, immunity to flash grenades and After all my bonuses a +30 to Piloting, Drive and Tech use.

Also my Servo Skull can mix my Drinks for me :3: This game really is pimps in space.

On another topic. I'm probably taking the augmenticist alternate rank next rank. There is a Disturbing Voice talent I can take. For reference my Void Master is a Toughness and Strength 45 Brick Shithouse of a man who's permanently bald and has been burnt on 90% of his body because the parties priest decided to set him and the dude he's grappling on fire because he knew I could shrug any serious damage off and the other guy would get hosed up.

MY GM has ruled that if I take that I can turn the effect on and off at will. Should I go for some reverberating, gravelly Tom Waits type thing. Or something like this

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solus posted:

On another topic. I'm probably taking the augmenticist alternate rank next rank. There is a Disturbing Voice talent I can take. For reference my Void Master is a Toughness and Strength 45 Brick Shithouse of a man who's permanently bald and has been burnt on 90% of his body because the parties priest decided to set him and the dude he's grappling on fire because he knew I could shrug any serious damage off and the other guy would get hosed up.

MY GM has ruled that if I take that I can turn the effect on and off at will. Should I go for some reverberating, gravelly Tom Waits type thing. Or something like this

I think you should go with whatever you like. If I was to make a magos/explorator with a disturbing voice, it would be like SHODAN's, a chorus of robotic-yet still essentially human- voices, like that of the Omnissiah himself. And I would never turn it off. I dunno about a pilot, but if he identified the ship as an extension of himself then you could do the whole "Look at you, Hacker. panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?" thing, which is cool

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Black Crusade question. The text of the Accurate weapon trait is thus:
When firing a single shot from a single Basic Weapon with
the Accurate Quality benefiting from the Aim action, the
attack gains an extra 1d10 Damage for every two Degrees of
Success to a maximum of two extra 1d10.

So, if my BS I'm rolling against is 50, does that mean I get the extra 1d10 on a 40-21 and the extra 2d10 on a 1-20? Or am I ten off?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 17, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

31 - 50 = 1d10 (0-1 DoS)
11 - 30 = 2d10 (2-3 DoS)
01 - 10 = 3d10 (4 DoS)

I think, anyway. I was under the impression you need the full 10 to get a degree of success.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Penguingo posted:

31 - 50 = 1d10 (0-1 DoS)
11 - 30 = 2d10 (2-3 DoS)
01 - 10 = 3d10 (4 DoS)

I think, anyway. I was under the impression you need the full 10 to get a degree of success.

No, in Black Crusade any successful roll starts at 1 DoS. For example, a 34 on an under-35 characteristic test is 1 DoS.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Behold, the adventures of Aristorkrates.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467873

Oh my God yes. Hell yes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No, in Black Crusade any successful roll starts at 1 DoS. For example, a 34 on an under-35 characteristic test is 1 DoS.

Oh hey, so it does. In which case yeah your numbers look right. That's pretty good actually.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
To clear up any rules confusion:

Character Creation:

Rogue Trader contains an impressive background generator for your characters that supplements but does not replace mechanical character creation. My group adored this addition, and we spent an entire session gleefully throwing ideas together - why the crew were together, who knew who, etc. I fervently hope that Only War or DH 2nd Ed contains some version of this.

Black Crusade contains a 'template' system that new players will almost certainly find easier. Instead of building from the ground up your initial choice of 'race' gives you a template to work from.

DH and DW have identical character creation, although of course DH has a larger corpus of information to work from.

Combat :

Black Crusade has the newest and best rules. The combat is a bit quicker to run, and some of the rough edges has been rounded off. Outliers like the famed auto-shot nonsense and rolling too many dice have been removed. It is not a night and day distance but you will welcome the clarity regarding psykers, which are a mess in the other books. The psyker rules have changed with each iteration of the line and in my mind, BC is the most fun but also the most cohesive application of the psyker rules.

RT, DH and DW all share an identical combat system. The advice of this thread is to use the BC combat rules in any game you run.

Character Progression :

DH, RT and DW have identical character progression structures, with the addition of 'Renown' and 'Acquisition' for DW and RT respectively.

Black Crusade has a more free form progression system where players can choose to align themselves with each Chaos God.

But what book should I get?

If you have yet to pick up an FFG 40k book, I'm going to be brave and suggest that you pick up Black Crusade first. The rougher DH combat rules and uninspiring character progression are showing a bit now.

However, there is a caveat. Most of the fluff in the line is for a loyalist (or neutral) background. There are no splatbooks or players option books which explore the creation of Chaotic characters, although I hear one is in the works.

atal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 17, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

atal posted:

To clear up any rules confusion:

Character Creation:

Rogue Trader contains an impressive background generator for your characters that supplements but does not replace mechanical character creation. My group adored this addition, and we spent an entire session gleefully throwing ideas together - why the crew were together, who knew who, etc. I fervently hope that Only War or DH 2nd Ed contains some version of this.

Black Crusade contains a 'template' system that new players will almost certainly find easier. Instead of building from the ground up your initial choice of 'race' gives you a template to work from.

DH and DW have identical character creation, although of course DH has a larger corpus of information to work from.

Combat :

Black Crusade has the newest and best rules. The combat is a bit quicker to run, and some of the rough edges has been rounded off. Outliers like the famed auto-shot nonsense and rolling too many dice have been removed. It is not a night and day distance but you will welcome the clarity regarding psykers, which are a mess in the other books. The psyker rules have changed with each iteration of the line and in my mind, BC is the most fun but also the most cohesive application of the psyker rules.

RT, DH and DW all share an identical combat system. The advice of this thread is to use the BC combat rules in any game you run.

Character Progression :

DH, RT and DW have identical character progression structures, with the addition of 'Renown' and 'Acquisition' for DW and RT respectively.

Black Crusade has a more free form progression system where players can choose to align themselves with each Chaos God.

But what book should I get?

If you have yet to pick up an FFG 40k book, I'm going to be brave and suggest that you pick up Black Crusade first. The rougher DH combat rules and uninspiring character progression are showing a bit now.

However, there is a caveat. Most of the fluff in the line is for a loyalist (or neutral) background. There are no splatbooks or players option books which explore the creation of Chaotic characters, although I hear one is in the works.

This is a pretty good write-up, mind if I steal it for the OP?

Also, there is a Tzeentch splatbook coming, apparently followed by one for each of the other chaos gods.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I forgot about the lifepath thing in Rogue Trader. That really was good for getting a few easy hooks and to have a jumping off point for why the characters may have crossed paths before. It seems appropriate that RT would borrow one of the best ideas from Traveller.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Liesmith posted:

I think you should go with whatever you like. If I was to make a magos/explorator with a disturbing voice, it would be like SHODAN's, a chorus of robotic-yet still essentially human- voices, like that of the Omnissiah himself. And I would never turn it off. I dunno about a pilot, but if he identified the ship as an extension of himself then you could do the whole "Look at you, Hacker. panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?" thing, which is cool

My character sees these cybernetics as a means to an end. He wants to be the best pilot there is basically. He's also an alcoholic.

The idea of interfacing into the ship itself to track people throughout will be really bloody useful though

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

MaliciousOnion posted:

This is a pretty good write-up, mind if I steal it for the OP?

Also, there is a Tzeentch splatbook coming, apparently followed by one for each of the other chaos gods.

Go for it!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have a question regarding Rogue Trader: are there any resources that generates leads and business opportunities to follow? Because if the explorers really want to play at being a Space pirate entrepreneur, then there should be means for coming up with ideas for endeavours than just completely relying on the GM to provide the necessary pre-made structure.

I guess in a pinch, you could use a Traveller planetary system generator and run it through the 40k grimdark filter.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I guess in a pinch, you could use a Traveller planetary system generator and run it through the 40k grimdark filter.

Or use the same from Stars Without Number (which admittedly seems to be Traveller with some handy DMing tools added on).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My brain comes up with weird poo poo sometimes. Here's an idea I had (crossposting from ADTRW). I wonder if anyone would be interested in running this? :v:

Touhou 40,000 Prelude posted:

It is the 41st millennium. For more than a hundred centuries, Yukari Yakamo has sat dozing on the Golden Recliner of Earth. She is the master of mankind by the will of ZUN, and master of a million worlds by the might of her inexhaustible armies. She is on indefinite vacation, being gently massaged with power from the Dark Age of Technology. She is the Sloth Lord for whom a thousand gallons of sake are sacrificed every day, so that she may never have to do anything.

Yet even in her relaxed state, the Empress continues her eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the oni-infested miasma of the warp between distant stars, their way lit by the Gensyoko Boundary, the deus-ex-machina manifestation of Yukari’s will. Vast armies give battle in Her name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst Her soldiers are the Adepta Astrates, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-youkai. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Gensyoko Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Shrine Maidens and the tech-priests of the Kappa Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present incidents caused by aliens, ghosts, rogue youkai - and worse.

To be a man woman person whatever in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the weirdest and most colorful regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of structure and logic, for so much is fan theory, and good luck making heads and tails of it. Forget the promise of rationality and sobriety, for in the drunken crazed future, there is only danmaku. There is no normal day amongst the stars, only an eternity of bullet-spam and spell-cards, and the laughter of trolling gods.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

:barf::barf::barf:

what the gently caress man, no, jesus christ

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Already been done, hombre.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Dear Thread. Please can you point me in the direction of an Ork in a Party Hat, preferably blowing a streamer.

Thankyou.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Dear Thread. Please can you point me in the direction of an Ork in a Party Hat, preferably blowing a streamer.

Thankyou.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
stick one of those kazoo things with the piece of paper that rolls out when you blow into it in his mouth. You know what im talking about

ooh ooh someone make an animated gif of one rolling in and out from his gun barrel

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Needs more dakka:toot:.

Also, this is why Orks are the best. This wouldn't even be out of character. An ork in a party hat killing the hell out of a space elf.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So I was thinking about Space Marines and all the genetic modification and stuff and realized that if you made them a tad more androgynous you could have Space Marines be originally male or female but they've gone through so many bio-grafts, gene tweaks, and other assorted TECHNO SORCERY OF THE 41st AND A HALF MILLENIUM that not only are they unrecognizable it's essentially impossible to tell what gender they were even at a genetic level, they're just these gigantic hulks of flesh who've had all of their sex drive rewired into the "killing poo poo" areas of the brain.

Then you can make the Sisters of Battle be just the straight up army of the church, call 'em the Clerics Millitant or something, men and women wearing power armor without all the modifications and surviving through faith and zeal, as well as dropping that incredibly stupid "no men under arms" origin story. The bit where they revolt and are then turned back to the light by the emperor can be kept.

In other news I've been sick all day and this is what my brain does when it has nothing better to amuse itself.

Edit: Oh, I interrupted Ork Chat. "NEEDS MORE SPARKLY BITZ, BOSS!"

"uh...the boss wants to be even...happier..."

Benagain fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 20, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Get the gently caress out of my thread.

Seriously, though, this is what happens to super mutants in Fallout - they all end up looking the same. Unfortunately, we have a terrible hobby and female space marines can only lead to bad places.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Unfortunately, we have a terrible hobby and female space marines can only lead to bad places.

I am extremely uncertain how to react to that. :stare:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

InfiniteJesters posted:

I am extremely uncertain how to react to that. :stare:

To look upon it with anything other than disgust is surely a sign of Heresy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

This is the test I give all people before accepting them as friends.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gravy Train Robber posted:

To be honest, while the 'stick boobs on a spehss marehn' things is :stonk:-inducing, I must admit that I love the colour scheme :shobon: Tiger stripes is rad, yo.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

To be honest, while the 'stick boobs on a spehss marehn' things is :stonk:-inducing, I must admit that I love the colour scheme :shobon: Tiger stripes is rad, yo.

Hey, tiger stripes and tiger stripe camo are totally fair to enjoy. Just no tits on my genetic super men you hear? :colbert:

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 20, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

But the thing is I didn't see any boobs, so either I'm blind or stupid here!

I like the concept and the paint scheme, though!

(On another note, note to self: Zulu marines. Make it happen, Jesters.)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm back with some Grotesques to go with the other stuff I posted. Hopefully this looks right for a hulking, roided out, techno-berzerker.
WS, BS, S, T, Ag, Int, Per, WP, Fel
43, 10, (8)55, (8) 55, 42, 10, 25, 36, 10

Speed: 4/8/12/24 Wounds: 40
Armor: 3+2 (All) Toughness Bonus: 8

Skills, Awareness, Dodge

Talents: Crushing Blow, Frenzy, Furious Assault, Iron Jaw, True Grit

Traits: Sturdy, Unnatural Strength +3, Unnatural Toughness +3, Size (Hulking), Altered Physique (2)

Liquifier Gun(one only) (20m; 1d10+9E; Pen 1d10; S/-/-; Flame)

Massive Hooks and Blades (2d10+10R; Pen 2; Unwieldy)

Looking in the codex these guys were fairly more powerful than I thought. I tried to put them on the same level as a Tyranid Warrior. Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully some of this is encouraging some sweet Dark Eldar adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

InfiniteJesters posted:

But the thing is I didn't see any boobs, so either I'm blind or stupid here!

I like the concept and the paint scheme, though!

(On another note, note to self: Zulu marines. Make it happen, Jesters.)

Is this what you want? Are you happy now?