Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PaoFerro posted:

Can't comment on the phone situation. I loaded up Skype with phone credit before I left, it worked for me so I didn't need to worry about sim cards. Obviously you need to be in an area with WiFi, but I just used it at my hotel/hostel or at McDonald's or something. Will you be making a lot of calls, or just to keep in touch with a select few people?

Border crossing between countries in the Schengen Area requires no formalities at all. It's just like crossing between states in the US. See the link below for more details. There's no immigration involved in the Schengen Area at all, only if you're entering it from outside, or leaving to a non-Schengen country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

I prefer shorter journeys like Amsterdam-Berlin on the train. You see more of the country and by the time you get to the airport, board, get your luggage at the other end etc. it's about the same amount of time as a plane. The plus-side is that train stations for inter-country travel seem to be in a central area of the city. Airports are often 20-30km out of town and require train rides or taxis to get into the city centre anyway. I believe the train from Amsterdam to Berlin is around 6 hours. A flight would probably only be an hour or so, so it really just depends whether you value saving a couple of hours over sitting back and enjoying the views from your train seat.

I'm actually mostly concerned about getting data on my smartphone. I feel so... restricted when I don't have it, even though WiFi is usually available. I could probably make due with just Wi-Fi.

Thanks for the information about the Schengen area. I thought that non-EU citizens still had to go through passport control, but it appears that I only need the entry stamp from the first country (Holland) and I should be good to go. Can any Canadians confirm this from experience? All the information I've been reading is a little confusing as to what rules exactly apply to non-EU citizens.

Right now I am indeed leaning toward taking the train, especially as I'm planning to do the entire trip with only carry-on luggage, so it won't be much of a hassle. I'm not particularly pressed for time, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

PT6A posted:

Can any Canadians confirm this from experience? All the information I've been reading is a little confusing as to what rules exactly apply to non-EU citizens.

If you are entering a Schengen country and you plan to visit only other Schengen countries, you need only one Schengen visa. Only the nationals of the following non-EU/EFTA countries do not need a visa for entry into the Schengen Area: Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Serbia*/**, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan*** (Republic of China), United States, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela, additionally persons holding British National (Overseas), Hong Kong SAR or Macau SAR passports.

From Wikitravel

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PaoFerro posted:

If you are entering a Schengen country and you plan to visit only other Schengen countries, you need only one Schengen visa. Only the nationals of the following non-EU/EFTA countries do not need a visa for entry into the Schengen Area: Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Serbia*/**, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan*** (Republic of China), United States, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela, additionally persons holding British National (Overseas), Hong Kong SAR or Macau SAR passports.

From Wikitravel

Oh poo poo, I can't believe I didn't think of checking Wikitravel. Thanks.

EDIT: I figured out why I was confused: I was searching the wrong thing. I guess the Schengen entry stamp isn't called a visa after all!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 9, 2012

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Taking the train from Amsterdam to Berlin is not exactly a short trip, nor is it on a high-speed train. If you just have carry-on luggage I'd fly there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Taking the train from Amsterdam to Berlin is not exactly a short trip, nor is it on a high-speed train. If you just have carry-on luggage I'd fly there.

To me, 200 km/h (InterCity) qualifies as a high-speed train. You have to remember, outside a single short section of track, trains in North America go about 100 km/h and have to give way to freight trains on many sections of track. I looked, and it's a 6 and a half hour trip. Not short, but not the end of the world either. Maybe I'll do the train one way just for the experience and fly the other way.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

Geizkragen posted:

My employer provides the halbtax, so I'll get it either way. Is the GA really worth the cost? My concern is I'm not sure how much I'll be spending a month on transit costs. It would have to be pretty high to justify the >CHF3300 I would think. (Is that per year, btw?)

With the halbtax you can get a monatskarte or monthly GA for 375chf. That still affords you unlimited travel for a month on trains, trams, buses and some boats. You could also get a GA subscription which is initially for 4 months and then monthly. If you are lucky enough to be under 26 there are other cards you can get.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I need help from the Paris locals/people that know Paris well

My husband and I will be spending a week in Paris in the beginning of September. What are some good sites or books that will help us decide what to see, where to go, where to eat and stay, etc?

Any inn/B&B/Hotel recommendations, or things that are a bit off the beaten path that we should make the time to see?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

sheri posted:

My husband and I will be spending a week in Paris in the beginning of September. What are some good sites or books that will help us decide what to see, where to go, where to eat and stay, etc?

Any inn/B&B/Hotel recommendations, or things that are a bit off the beaten path that we should make the time to see?

If you're going to stay there for a week, I highly recommend booking an apartment on vrbo.com (or similar) which will be cheaper and nicer than any hotel, and it will feel more 'authentic' too.

A week in Paris isn't really even enough time to see all of the "Top Things to Do In Paris" lists, so I don't think I'd worry too much about going off the beaten path in Paris; the famous museums and landmarks are awesome. (For food hopefully someone can recommend you places, as picking any random café is not a good way to eat in central Paris, as many restaurants cater to tourists and are overpriced and bad. I've spent about two weeks in Paris over the last few years and I've never found a restaurant that is at all memorable.)

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Fungah posted:

With the halbtax you can get a monatskarte or monthly GA for 375chf. That still affords you unlimited travel for a month on trains, trams, buses and some boats. You could also get a GA subscription which is initially for 4 months and then monthly. If you are lucky enough to be under 26 there are other cards you can get.

There are rules about getting the GA on a subscription basis, I think you have to have been a resident in CH for 6 months before they will accept you for it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

sheri posted:

I liked some of the tours we did in this book, if you can find it: http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Paris/dp/1847730612

And a girl I went to HS with has been writing a Paris travel blog/guide service since 1999, she has a good newsletter, calendar and hotel reviews for you: http://www.secretsofparis.com/

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008
I'll be going to Europe in June and I'm a little worried after looking over this thread that I might be spreading myself too thin over too many countries. I'll be arriving in Paris on June 3rd with a friend and on the 4th we're going to take the TGV down to Annecy for the International Animation Festival. We'll be in Annecy from the 4th to the 10th.

After the animation festival, our current tentative plan is to take a train to see the Alps and Appenzell, then on to Venice (hopefully Florence too), Prague, and Berlin. My friend also really wants to go to Oslo because he is very much into Norse mythology and vikings, and I really want to be able to do it because I think it's his one must see country.

The problem is that I have to be at the Marseille airport on the 29th to catch the shuttle to my school campus, and the cheapest flight from Oslo to Marseille I could find is $340 USD, which is a bit steep for me. I am also worried now that trying to cover so many cities in 2 1/2 weeks might not give us enough time to really enjoy each city.

Is trying to see Appenzell, Venice, Prague, Berlin, and Oslo too much for 2 1/2 weeks? And is there any way I can get from Oslo to Marseille cheaply? I'm very willing to do any combination of trains, buses, etc. if it's at all a possibility, but I have a feeling that because Oslo is so far from Marseille it might not be. I feel like cutting out Oslo is the best way to make this trip work both financially and in regard to how much time we get to spend in each city, but I would really love to make Oslo work on account of how much my friend wants to go.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sauterne posted:

Is trying to see Appenzell, Venice, Prague, Berlin, and Oslo too much for 2 1/2 weeks? And is there any way I can get from Oslo to Marseille cheaply? I'm very willing to do any combination of trains, buses, etc. if it's at all a possibility, but I have a feeling that because Oslo is so far from Marseille it might not be. I feel like cutting out Oslo is the best way to make this trip work both financially and in regard to how much time we get to spend in each city, but I would really love to make Oslo work on account of how much my friend wants to go.

Seems OK to me, although I would cut out Appenzell, unless you want to see a cow fight or an alpenhorn concert or a memorial to women getting the right to vote in 1991. Lodging and particularly trains in Switzerland are outrageously expensive, so skipping that will pay for your plane ticket.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sauterne posted:

I'll be going to Europe in June and I'm a little worried after looking over this thread that I might be spreading myself too thin over too many countries. I'll be arriving in Paris on June 3rd with a friend and on the 4th we're going to take the TGV down to Annecy for the International Animation Festival. We'll be in Annecy from the 4th to the 10th.

After the animation festival, our current tentative plan is to take a train to see the Alps and Appenzell, then on to Venice (hopefully Florence too), Prague, and Berlin. My friend also really wants to go to Oslo because he is very much into Norse mythology and vikings, and I really want to be able to do it because I think it's his one must see country.

The problem is that I have to be at the Marseille airport on the 29th to catch the shuttle to my school campus, and the cheapest flight from Oslo to Marseille I could find is $340 USD, which is a bit steep for me. I am also worried now that trying to cover so many cities in 2 1/2 weeks might not give us enough time to really enjoy each city.

I agree that Appenzell is the weak link in your plan, why'd you choose it?

Ryanair and Easyjet don't show up on flight aggregators and unfortunately Easyjet doesn't fly to Oslo. Ryanair does but not directly to Marseilles. The best price I could work out with them was flying Oslo to Paris for ~$100 and then you can take the train or a bus to Marseilles. Train looks like it will run you ~$150 but I only did the quickest search here.

A couple of things about Ryanair in particular: only book one flight with them. They do not book people through so if you want to fly Oslo-Paris, Paris-Marseilles you'll have to collect your bag and check in again. If your first flight is late that's your problem, not theirs, and you'll have to buy a new ticket. Then they have fees for everything, including baggage. If you check a bag (that price above didn't include a bag, sorry), it'll be another €20-35 depending on the weight. I don't see it on the table of fees anymore, but there used to be an outrageous charge to print your boarding pass at the airport so make sure you print that at the hotel.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Saladman posted:

Lodging and particularly trains in Switzerland are outrageously expensive, so skipping that will pay for your plane ticket.

Same goes for Oslo. The shuttle train from the main airport is 25 euro single trip. The plain ticket is a bit steep already, but for oslo also count on 40 euro dinners (unless you go sober) and 40 euro crappy hostels.

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008

greazeball posted:

I agree that Appenzell is the weak link in your plan, why'd you choose it?

I've been watching some of Rick Steves' videos and he features Appenzell in one of them, and it seemed like a great opportunity to see some very traditional Swiss culture, especially with Annecy being only about 4 hours away. But I didn't realize that lodging and trains were so expensive in Switzerland. Rick Steves mentions in his video staying in a family run bed and breakfast in the Alps for about $15 a night, is that something very uncommon? It seemed like a really great way to really immerse yourself in the alps, which was part of the allure of Appenzell. Do you think it'd be better to substitute Appenzell with Chamonix, France if I still want to see the Alps?

greazeball posted:

Ryanair and Easyjet don't show up on flight aggregators and unfortunately Easyjet doesn't fly to Oslo. Ryanair does but not directly to Marseilles. The best price I could work out with them was flying Oslo to Paris for ~$100 and then you can take the train or a bus to Marseilles. Train looks like it will run you ~$150 but I only did the quickest search here.

A couple of things about Ryanair in particular: only book one flight with them. They do not book people through so if you want to fly Oslo-Paris, Paris-Marseilles you'll have to collect your bag and check in again. If your first flight is late that's your problem, not theirs, and you'll have to buy a new ticket. Then they have fees for everything, including baggage. If you check a bag (that price above didn't include a bag, sorry), it'll be another €20-35 depending on the weight. I don't see it on the table of fees anymore, but there used to be an outrageous charge to print your boarding pass at the airport so make sure you print that at the hotel.
Thank you for that information, that's really helpful! Do you know of any bus companies that do Paris to Marseille that I could look into? When I try googling it, all I seem to get is information about the TGV.

Rojkir posted:

Same goes for Oslo. The shuttle train from the main airport is 25 euro single trip. The plain ticket is a bit steep already, but for oslo also count on 40 euro dinners (unless you go sober) and 40 euro crappy hostels.
Wow I didn't realize Oslo would be so expensive, definitely something else I will need to consider. Thanks!

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Sauterne posted:

Thank you for that information, that's really helpful! Do you know of any bus companies that do Paris to Marseille that I could look into? When I try googling it, all I seem to get is information about the TGV.

Eurolines is the site you need for bus travel. I only had a quick look but it looks like you would need to do something like Paris - Lyon - Marseille. But honestly, the train would be an awful lot quicker and more comfortable.

Edit: You can even do Oslo - Paris for the low low price of €240 :v:

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I was going to book Paris to Marseille through TGV but all of the low fares sold out as soon as the 3 month window opened, so I ended up doing Air France OLY to MRS for like $90 instead. It was about the same price as what TGV was offering but with a better departure time and a lot faster.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Sauterne posted:

Wow I didn't realize Oslo would be so expensive, definitely something else I will need to consider. Thanks!
If you are on a budget, stay out of Norway. You should probably stay out of all of the Nordic countries if that is the case, but especially Norway.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sauterne posted:

Rick Steves mentions in his video staying in a family run bed and breakfast in the Alps for about $15 a night, is that something very uncommon? It seemed like a really great way to really immerse yourself in the alps, which was part of the allure of Appenzell. Do you think it'd be better to substitute Appenzell with Chamonix, France if I still want to see the Alps?

Rick Steves must have gotten a Rick Steves discount or must have written it in 1980. A single bunk in a hostel will cost about $45 and a room at a B&B in the Alps will run you more like $150. Also aa train ticket from Geneva to Appenzell, a 5 hour trip, is $120 for a one-way. The train has a great view from Geneva to Lausanne, but the rest of the ride is pretty boring and you won't see mountains from closer than like 100km until the last 15 minutes of the ride.

I would absolutely substitute Appenzell with Chamonix. The Aiguille du Midi lift is like €45 but it's pretty neat and you're like two miles from the summit of Mont Blanc. On the minus side, you won't see any cows in Cham.

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008

Stupid Decisions posted:

Eurolines is the site you need for bus travel. I only had a quick look but it looks like you would need to do something like Paris - Lyon - Marseille. But honestly, the train would be an awful lot quicker and more comfortable.

Edit: You can even do Oslo - Paris for the low low price of €240 :v:

Yikes, I was hoping there would be some kind of European equivalent to the super cheap Chinatown buses here, but it looks like the train is the best option. Thanks for the site!

willkill4food posted:

I was going to book Paris to Marseille through TGV but all of the low fares sold out as soon as the 3 month window opened, so I ended up doing Air France OLY to MRS for like $90 instead. It was about the same price as what TGV was offering but with a better departure time and a lot faster.
Thank you! I will look into that!

kissekatt posted:

If you are on a budget, stay out of Norway. You should probably stay out of all of the Nordic countries if that is the case, but especially Norway.
Aw that's such a bummer, I was really looking forward to seeing the fjords. But thank you for that advice, I will probably try to convince my friend now that we can't see Norway as we're both students and don't have a great ton of money.

Saladman posted:

Rick Steves must have gotten a Rick Steves discount or must have written it in 1980. A single bunk in a hostel will cost about $45 and a room at a B&B in the Alps will run you more like $150. Also aa train ticket from Geneva to Appenzell, a 5 hour trip, is $120 for a one-way. The train has a great view from Geneva to Lausanne, but the rest of the ride is pretty boring and you won't see mountains from closer than like 100km until the last 15 minutes of the ride.

I would absolutely substitute Appenzell with Chamonix. The Aiguille du Midi lift is like €45 but it's pretty neat and you're like two miles from the summit of Mont Blanc. On the minus side, you won't see any cows in Cham.
Oh man that's so much higher than I was expecting it to be. The Rick Steves guidebook I have is for 2012, but you must be right, he must have a magical Rick Steves discount. I think I'll definitely go for Chamonix instead then based on what you told me.

Thank you everyone for your great advice, I feel a lot better about my Europe trip now knowing it's more financially manageable if I cut out Switzerland and Norway.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

Sauterne posted:

Thank you everyone for your great advice, I feel a lot better about my Europe trip now knowing it's more financially manageable if I cut out Switzerland and Norway.

Just remember that there is ALWAYS ways to get around the costs of staying in countries like this. I'm a student and I recently did Switzerland, Denmark and Sweden (as part of a bigger trip) and came out just fine at the end. It just depends how badly you want to see these places and how much you're willing to change about your travel habits or expectations in order to see them. For example, I spent 4 nights in Copenhagen and basically lived off street hot dogs, water and food from discount supermarkets. I walked around the whole time and never paid a cent for transport or attractions, there's always free passes around if you know where to look!

But Switzerland, man that country is wonderful that it's almost worth it even if you do go over budget. It's just awesome. Remember, if you have a bad rear end time and fulfil a dream of yours, you'll never regret it a few years down the track.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PaoFerro posted:

Just remember that there is ALWAYS ways to get around the costs of staying in countries like this. I'm a student and I recently did Switzerland, Denmark and Sweden (as part of a bigger trip) and came out just fine at the end. It just depends how badly you want to see these places and how much you're willing to change about your travel habits or expectations in order to see them. For example, I spent 4 nights in Copenhagen and basically lived off street hot dogs, water and food from discount supermarkets. I walked around the whole time and never paid a cent for transport or attractions, there's always free passes around if you know where to look!

But Switzerland, man that country is wonderful that it's almost worth it even if you do go over budget. It's just awesome. Remember, if you have a bad rear end time and fulfil a dream of yours, you'll never regret it a few years down the track.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to avoid/reduce the exorbitant train ticket prices in Switzerland? Food you can get cheaply, and housing I guess you can couch surf, but the train always seemed like an unavoidable "gently caress you" from Switzerland to tourists.

VVVV: Yeah, the halbtax/demi-tarif card makes all Swiss transit half-price, but then again it costs like $200 (price increased again this year), so you have to do some serious traveling to make it worthwhile... Did you try or have any luck couch surfing? It doesn't seem to be particularly popular in Switzerland, which is the other issue for traveling cheaply here (I live in Switzerland and have a job here so it's not an issue to me personally, but whenever friends visit they ask about these things).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 13, 2012

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

Saladman posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to avoid/reduce the exorbitant train ticket prices in Switzerland? Food you can get cheaply, and housing I guess you can couch surf, but the train always seemed like an unavoidable "gently caress you" from Switzerland to tourists.

Edit: Sorry I only saw half the post the first time for some reason.

We did a lot of bicycle rental in Switzerland, Denmark and Sweden. If you find the right hostels they'll often throw in extremely cheap bike rental for you. Even if you're not fit, Scandinavia is very well set up for bike riding. This kind of stuff requires you not to be travelling too frequently, the more time you spend in an area the easier it is to find discounts on travel.

This brings me to my next point, about train/bus travel in these countries. We had a Eurail pass, which obviously helped with inter-country and cross-country travel, it's hard to spend a few months or whatever in Europe without one really (unless you really love Ryanair or Easyjet). This is all common knowledge though. In regards to Switzerland-specific train travel, I believe we got some sort of card that gave us half-price travel on Swiss public transport. I can't remember the name of it now, you should be able to look it up.

The thing is, of course travel will be more expensive in Switzerland compared to somewhere like India or Cambodia. My previous post was more of an attempt to put the point across that while places can be expensive, there's ALWAYS ways to make travel in those countries affordable as long as you're willing to sacrifice some of your usual travel habits. This is especially true if it's a destination you're absolutely dying to see.

PaoFerro fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 13, 2012

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I am heading out to Berlin>Salzburg>Rome in a few days and my wife and I are wanting to find a place around Salzberg with good hiking. Any suggestions? We are considering renting a car and just driving around (hitting the lakes), so any hiking within an hour or two drive is probably OK.

Also does the GPS on the iPhone count towards the data plan? This may not be the right place for it but we had some leftover credit so grabbed the Lonely Planet city guides for Berlin and Rome for the maps.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 13, 2012

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

PaoFerro posted:

For example, I spent 4 nights in Copenhagen and basically lived off street hot dogs, water and food from discount supermarkets. I walked around the whole time and never paid a cent for transport or attractions, there's always free passes around if you know where to look!

Where should I look for free passes in Copenhagen? Were you able to get a good feel for the city and do everything you wanted in those four days? I will be in Copenhagen in late August but I haven't decided how long I'll stay before moving on. Any hostel recommendations would help a lot as well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Asnorban posted:

I am heading out to Berlin>Salzburg>Rome in a few days and my wife and I are wanting to find a place around Salzberg with good hiking. Any suggestions? We are considering renting a car and just driving around (hitting the lakes), so any hiking within an hour or two drive is probably OK.

Also does the GPS on the iPhone count towards the data plan? This may not be the right place for it but we had some leftover credit so grabbed the Lonely Planet city guides for Berlin and Rome for the maps.

Hiking in a few days isn't going to work out so well since it's cold and everything is covered in snow above about 800m (it snowed like 10cm in Salzburg on Sunday; I was there all Easter weekend). There's great hiking in Fieberbrunn which is like half an hour away, but not until spring really happens.

GPS does not count towards data plan, so you should be good (just Maps won't work). You'll want to turn off your dataplan though, as a precaution!

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

nuckingfuts posted:

Where should I look for free passes in Copenhagen? Were you able to get a good feel for the city and do everything you wanted in those four days? I will be in Copenhagen in late August but I haven't decided how long I'll stay before moving on. Any hostel recommendations would help a lot as well.

4 days is long enough. It's a great city, but there's not a lot to keep you there for any longer than 4 days. The Danish street food is the hot dog, look out for the cheapest van you can find and do the math to find yourself a mega cheap lunch. Also, if you're this way inclined, the Danish really go nuts for a buffet. If you want to just eat one meal a day it'll cost you between 80-100 kroner. The standard supermarket is always a good option too.

Copenhagen rents free bikes that allow you to cruise around the city centre for free with a small deposit. Otherwise, it's a very walkable city, even if you stay in somewhere out of the city centre like Amagerbro or Vesterbro. Our hostel we stayed in gave us free tickets to Tivoli Gardens which was great! The Danish National Gallery is free, Freetown (Christiania) is free, climbing Vor Frelser Church is free. You get the idea, there's plenty of things to do to keep you entertained.

We stayed in a small hotel with shared bathrooms called BnB Copenhagen. Couldn't recommend it enough, though it was fairly expensive. I've heard consistently good reviews about the Generator Hostel in Copenhagen, it's supposed to be the best value hostel in the area.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saladman posted:

GPS does not count towards data plan, so you should be good (just Maps won't work). You'll want to turn off your dataplan though, as a precaution!

On Android you can cache the maps and Maps will still work, you just won't be able to find anything (but at least you'll have a nice map). Not sure if this works on iOS.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is there a way to get a data-only prepaid SIM card? I have an unlocked Samsung that doesn't need to respond to my usual number for the week I'm in Europe, it would be nice to have full data capabilities for not too much money.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Piggybacking on that last question... how much should I expect to pay for a pre-paid phone plus two weeks of data service in Germany/France? I won't be doing any streaming or anything, but the phone will likely be my main means for stuff like e-mail and GPS, so I'm probably looking at a couple hundred Mb of usage and minimal calls/texting. Is there a certain carrier I should look to buy from or avoid?

I've been looking on Vodaphone's German website and I get the impression that I can probably buy a basic phone for around 30 Euro, does that sound about right? How much more should I expect to pay for actually using the phone for voice/data?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2012

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PT6A posted:

Is there a way to get a data-only prepaid SIM card? I have an unlocked Samsung that doesn't need to respond to my usual number for the week I'm in Europe, it would be nice to have full data capabilities for not too much money.

Vodafone offers a decent pre-paid data plan. It's €7,50 for the SIM card (which includes 35MB data). There's a 300MB package for €10, 700MB for €20 and 2000MB for €50. The packages don't include roaming costs but Vodafone pretty much offers the same package in every country.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

I've never heard of a data-only prepaid SIM, but maybe if you pretend you're buying one for your iPad/other tablet, it's possible.

Lebara offers one of the best prepaid data plans in Switzerland; might be worth looking into in France and Germany too.

Re: Thoguh: Never heard of a provider that works cross-borders in Europe, so I think you're going to have massive data roaming fees once you switch from France->Germany or you'll have to get a new SIM. There are some like WorldSIM that supposedly don't have this problem, but I have no experience with it. (And if anyone can chime in on that, I'd love to hear too...)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Regarding data plans, someone posted this in here earlier: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

greazeball posted:

Regarding data plans, someone posted this in here earlier: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

I'm still a little bit confused about data roaming within Europe. I'd like to avoid buying two different SIM cards if I can. Still, it looks like Vodafone Netherlands is the best option for me. From what I can tell, data roaming is a bit more expensive, but possible.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

PT6A posted:

I'm still a little bit confused about data roaming within Europe. I'd like to avoid buying two different SIM cards if I can. Still, it looks like Vodafone Netherlands is the best option for me. From what I can tell, data roaming is a bit more expensive, but possible.

New country = new SIM. It was only about 2-3 years ago that the EU mandated lube and a reach around when carriers gently caress their customers with roaming charges so things used to be much worse. Switzerland isn't part of the EU so data roaming on my Swiss plan is almost €13 per MB!

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Sauterne posted:

Yikes, I was hoping there would be some kind of European equivalent to the super cheap Chinatown buses here, but it looks like the train is the best option. Thanks for the site!

http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de/ would be even cheaper, but it can be a little sketchy/unreliable.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Gold and a Pager posted:

http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de/ would be even cheaper, but it can be a little sketchy/unreliable.

Mitfahrgelegenheit is usually pretty good, especially for shorter trips within one state (going from Muenchen to Nuernburg or whatever). However there can be some pretty iffy times when you wonder why you didn't spring just a bit more for a train ticket, like when you're ripping through Thuringia with a former army dude who doesn't give a gently caress about going 200km/h and is bullshitting with his buddies on a hands free at the same time.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
What are the mid range accommodations like in Ibiza in early June? Mainly looking to party at the clubs, hang out on the beach, and eat decent food. Dunno if we will have enough time to look around the island. Looking to spend 4-5 days there. Should I expect to spend over €1500?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I'm doing France for 2 weeks June 15-July 2. Itinerary is as follows:

Arrive June 16 (overnight flight)
June 16-21 in Paris
June 21-25 in Nice
June 25-29 in Aix-en-Provence
June 29-July 2 back to Paris.
Fly home July 2.

I have a rail pass/TGV reservations to go between those specific cities, I sprung for first class since money is no object right now. That said, I'm hosteling it because I'm in my mid twenties and traveling solo and was hoping to meet some friendly other travelers along the way. I'm just hoping to sample a lot of wine, go to clubs in Paris/Nice (and go to the beach while in Nice!), enjoy the small town feel in Aix-en-Provence,

I'm super excited! I finally get to use all my years of French language study! :neckbeard:

I'd like to see the rest of Europe someday, but I figured I'd stick with France only this time since I have enough of a command of the language to get around and I was hoping to converse a lot with native speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I'm doing France for 2 weeks June 15-July 2. Itinerary is as follows:

Arrive June 16 (overnight flight)
June 16-21 in Paris
June 21-25 in Nice
June 25-29 in Aix-en-Provence
June 29-July 2 back to Paris.
Fly home July 2.

I have a rail pass/TGV reservations to go between those specific cities, I sprung for first class since money is no object right now. That said, I'm hosteling it because I'm in my mid twenties and traveling solo and was hoping to meet some friendly other travelers along the way. I'm just hoping to sample a lot of wine, go to clubs in Paris/Nice (and go to the beach while in Nice!), enjoy the small town feel in Aix-en-Provence,

I'm super excited! I finally get to use all my years of French language study! :neckbeard:

I'd like to see the rest of Europe someday, but I figured I'd stick with France only this time since I have enough of a command of the language to get around and I was hoping to converse a lot with native speakers.

Aix-en-Provence is probably going to be kind of boring to spend 4 days in, so I'd plan a day trip to Avignon and/or Marseilles (never been to Marseilles personally). The countryside north of Aix is beautiful, particularly the Apt/Lacoste/Rousillon area, but I think it might be almost impossible to get there without a car...

People always seem to love Aix-en-Provence but after two days there I couldn't really figure out why; it's indistinguishable from any other medium-sized city in France (pleasant, unremarkable, not much to do besides eat / sit outside and drink coffee).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 20, 2012