Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

ImpAtom posted:

All video games ever are TVTropes As gently caress. All of them. Every single one.

Wow. Youre post is reminds me of a time this troper derailed a thread with animes...

e: but Your Mileage May Vary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human snorlax
Apr 20, 2011

the brutality of nature
I want to date Kanji irl. :mmmhmm:

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I'm gonna opt to be specific instead, thx.

It was a good kind of discomfort, at least with the kind of subjects it made me think about. Especially gender roles and such. Kanji's whole scenario was well done, awkward, but the point is put across at least.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PunkBoy posted:

...Wasn't there a Devil Summoner anime or something like that?

The Devil Summoner show was live action.

ImpAtom posted:

While P3 certainly added elements... did I miss the universe where the other SMT games didn't have wacky anime stuff? I mean even excluding P1 and 2, the drat series mascot is a wacky cartoon version of Jack Frost. I know people like to pretend that SMT was Serious Business Times but it had its fair share of goofy poo poo even before Persona as well.

I think there's a difference between "there's some silly stuff" and "there's a dating sim, complete with a robot girl and a wacky hot springs misadventure straight out of every lovely comedy anime since 1992!"

Devil Survivor 2 suffers from an overdose of zany hijinks, many of which seem to be heavily derived from common anime staples. It's likely this was influenced by the success of Persona 3 and Persona 4, both of which are pretty heavy on the anime-inspired zany hijinks.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I'll have to take your word for it, having not watched every anime from the past 20 years.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I can't say that Devil Survivor as a series has negatively impacted my view of the RPGs with the SMT label... because I didn't like it in the first place and ignored the gently caress out of it. I thought Digital Devil Saga 1 was also a horrible game, not necessarily because of content of story, but because it was just not fun. I've yet to feel like SMT has "fallen off", just yet. It'll probably take a few more recycled Press Turn Engine games, they're getting there with those.

I mean, really, isn't "Shin Megami Tensei" just something Atlus USA slaps in front of the titles of these games atm? Something arbitrary?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Corrosion posted:

I mean, really, isn't "Shin Megami Tensei" just something Atlus USA slaps in front of the titles of these games atm? Something arbitrary?

Atlus USA does. In Japan, only a couple games have the SMT title. Persona doesn't have it, and DDS was known as "Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner" with no SMT either. Strange Journey was the last game to officially have SMT attached.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Corrosion posted:

Yep. They throw it in front of all of the SMT spinoffs, which are actually just a bunch of different series, related only by the fact that it uses the same selection of demons (for the most part.) As far as actual SMT games go, there are only four of them (five if you count If...).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Yep. They throw it in front of all of the SMT spinoffs, which are actually just a bunch of different series, related only by the fact that it uses the same selection of demons (for the most part.) As far as actual SMT games go, there are only four of them (five if you count If...).

Six if you count Devil Summoner.
e: Seven if you count NINE, but let's not.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 16, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TurnipFritter posted:

Six if you count Devil Summoner.

The original Devil Summoner (not the PS2 one, of course) was actually an SMT game? Huh.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

The original Devil Summoner (not the PS2 one, of course) was actually an SMT game? Huh.

Yes, but much like if... it's pretty terrible and we should pretend it doesn't exist.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

That's probably not very hard for most folks that didn't have access to the Japan only releases of these games, at that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Sorry to derail the anime chat, but has anyone else had any weird issues with graphics flickering on the PSN version of P3FES?

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Some folks say to reinstall the game data (not your saves). You're not the only person this is happening to though. At least if other boards are any indication.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weird question coming but P3P is my first SMT game and I'm loving it so far. The enemy design is awesome, and I really like the interface. Those two things always draw me into rpgs for some reason. What SMT games are similar in those ways?

Also what consoles are my best bet for keeping up with the future of these games?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Weird question coming but P3P is my first SMT game and I'm loving it so far. The enemy design is awesome, and I really like the interface. Those two things always draw me into rpgs for some reason. What SMT games are similar in those ways?

Also what consoles are my best bet for keeping up with the future of these games?

The enemy design is very similar in most SMT games. They've been reusing designs for quite some time, so you'll see a lot familiar no matter which you play. By "interface" can you clarify what you mean precisely?

As far as systems go: 3DS, Vita and PS3.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

They're in a bit of a transition phase as far as consoles go. No telling if Persona 4: The Golden on PSVita is a sure indicator of what platform Atlus is going to stay on.

As far as games that are similar... uh...

Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2

I'll just let others fill in the gaps that are probably left from just that small list.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ImpAtom posted:

The enemy design is very similar in most SMT games. They've been reusing designs for quite some time, so you'll see a lot familiar no matter which you play. By "interface" can you clarify what you mean precisely?

As far as systems go: 3DS, Vita and PS3.

The ui in general. Everything is very pleasing looking. The colors, fonts, animations. I sound crazy but it's so smooth and sleek looking. The menus all work perfectly and look fantastic.

Corrosion posted:

They're in a bit of a transition phase as far as consoles go. No telling if Persona 4: The Golden on PSVita is a sure indicator of what platform Atlus is going to stay on.

As far as games that are similar... uh...

Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2

I'll just let others fill in the gaps that are probably left from just that small list.

Hopefully they stick to the Vita after 4. It seems great for Persona.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

The ui in general. Everything is very pleasing looking. The colors, fonts, animations. I sound crazy but it's so smooth and sleek looking. The menus all work perfectly and look fantastic.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are the only games thus far that have really flashy interfaces. I guess you could try Catherine, too, if nice looking menus are your thing. Otherwise, all of the PS2 games have pretty standard interfaces.

e: I guess I do dig the Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha menus:

But it's not really anything as flashy as P3/P4's.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 16, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
You rarely spend time in the menus in Catherine, though, so you don't really have the chance to enjoy them, haha. As it was stated before, Persona 3 and 4 are the only games with that kind of interface. I hope they continue with it, though. I do agree that they are very aesthetically pleasing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Regardless, I still need to replay Catherine and finish it.

My sexy interface obsession is getting out of hand. God drat you P3P :aaaaa:

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Regardless, I still need to replay Catherine and finish it.

My sexy interface obsession is getting out of hand. God drat you P3P :aaaaa:

I started with Strange Journey and couldn't stand P3P after. P3P is slick but Tartarus sucks. If you like the combat/demon fusion/strategy portion SJ is a cheap option (if you have a DS/3DS). The dungeon is very difficult in SJ but worth it if you like crawling.

That being said I agree now about P3P and am on my 2nd play. The Velvet Room kicks rear end (big David Lynch [and now Soul Eater] fan) and I am now watching the P4 anime...

I'll be crossing my fingers for a collector's edition P4 and have to get a Vita.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Yes, but much like if... it's pretty terrible and we should pretend it doesn't exist.

Ehh...I dunno, I just played it for the first time recently and it's not that bad. The demon loyalty system is complete bullshit and the mid-game "ghostbusters but with demons" story gets old but if you can get past it it's playable. The fact that the hero basically fails an enormous part of his underlying mission is kind of funny too. It's definitely not a high point of the series though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Corrosion posted:

Some folks say to reinstall the game data (not your saves). You're not the only person this is happening to though. At least if other boards are any indication.
Yeah, I tried that. Didn't help. Sucks that I have to dl a 4+GB file each time I want to reinstall.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Persona 4 Golden comin' out Oct. 23rd in the US.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8737754

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Corduroy posted:

NOT SOON ENOUGH

Just got a Vita and looking forward to filling it up with games. A lot of Atlus PSP stuff just had a price drop too, I think Persona 2 is $30... maybe I should finally pick it up.

PSP stuff looks very nice on the massive screen.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CD Universe is pretty much known for leaking legit things well in advance, barring the freak mistake (i.e. Yakuza 4 on Xbox 360) they're usually accurate. So you could probably take that as a confirmation at this point, just to keep you busy until E3 in June.

human snorlax
Apr 20, 2011

the brutality of nature

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think Persona 2 is $30...

OH! Oh... I just paid $40. :rubshands:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

human snorlax posted:

OH! Oh... I just paid $40. :rubshands:

The price drops happened more than a week ago I think. It might be NA only? I use the NA store.

Persona 1: $20
Persona 2: $30
Persona 3: $20

Then random things like Class of Heroes and Knights in the Nightmare at $15.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, Atlus USA finally price dropped most of their entire PSP offerings on the PSN. I don't think any other regions saw this though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

But you can buy a $50 NA code and get both Persona 2 and Persona 3 if you use a state with no sales tax like Delaware.

I bought a $50 code for about $58 on Maximuscards, if you're living in the EU I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying stuff normally.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Got P3FES, played like 2 hours, question time:

1) Is there seriously no way to tell what your teammates' skills do? Or, for that matter, telling what they gain on a level up without checking their status constantly?

2) Are the only save points in the dorm and the tartarus? Because if so, that kinda sucks.

3) I know you get a compendium at some point, but if I fuse stuff before I get it will it be registered there? And how long does it take to get it?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Amppelix posted:

1) Is there seriously no way to tell what your teammates' skills do? Or, for that matter, telling what they gain on a level up without checking their status constantly?

2) Are the only save points in the dorm and the tartarus? Because if so, that kinda sucks.

3) I know you get a compendium at some point, but if I fuse stuff before I get it will it be registered there? And how long does it take to get it?

1) I thought you could use square(?) to highlight their skills and get a summary on the info page? I'm not completely sure; by the time I played P3P I'd memorized most of the standard skills.

2) Yup, to avoid you being able to save yourself into an unwinnable situation.

3) Don't recall how long, but yes everything goes into it even beforehand.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

1) I thought you could use square(?) to highlight their skills and get a summary on the info page? I'm not completely sure; by the time I played P3P I'd memorized most of the standard skills

This is the first thing I tried since it's in 4 (and might be in Portable along with other UI changes). You can't access skill info on the Persona tab at all, and you can't access your teammates' skills from the Skill tab.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Captain Corduroy posted:

Policenaut posted:

CD Universe is pretty much known for leaking legit things well in advance, barring the freak mistake (i.e. Yakuza 4 on Xbox 360) they're usually accurate. So you could probably take that as a confirmation at this point, just to keep you busy until E3 in June.

Thank you very much for the info! That date is a lot sooner than I expected, based on how long it took them to translate Persona 3 Portable and Persona 2 IS Portable from when they were released in Japan. I hope that gives them enough time for the localization, though I'm sure it will.

At this rate, I guess I'll be buying Peronsa 4 Golden before I buy a Vita, haha. Here's to hoping there'll be an extra special preorder bonus and collector's edition!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Amppelix posted:

1. Yes, there's no way to tell, just one of the many reasons I can't stand P3 on consoles(not that I liked the removal of the animations in portable either).

2. I think you can save your desk in the school but that's about it.

3. The fuse stuff should be there.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Amppelix posted:

1) You can look at the skill names and then cross-ref them online or in the book.
2) It's not that bad. Save every day after school, every time before you go into Tartarus and after you come back to floor 1 before fighting a guardian.
3) You get the compendium after the metro full moon event (second full moon in the game).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Alteisen posted:

2. I think you can save your desk in the school but that's about it.

They added that in Persona 3 Portable, you can only save in the dorm and in Tartarus in the PS2 games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Catalina posted:

Thank you very much for the info! That date is a lot sooner than I expected, based on how long it took them to translate Persona 3 Portable and Persona 2 IS Portable from when they were released in Japan. I hope that gives them enough time for the localization, though I'm sure it will.

I think they must have started localization awhile ago for a Fall release date, or maybe even planned for Western release from the start. My guess is that they want to fill the vacuum of JRPGs on Vita in North America, seeing how there's a grand total of 1 currently available (and it came out today).

Not that I'm complaining about the release date, that's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I think they must have started localization awhile ago for a Fall release date, or maybe even planned for Western release from the start. My guess is that they want to fill the vacuum of JRPGs on Vita in North America, seeing how there's a grand total of 1 currently available (and it came out today).

Not that I'm complaining about the release date, that's pretty sweet.

I'll bet that the fact that the anime is out recently makes it a good idea to capitalize as soon as possible, too. I even have a friend whom I introduced to Persona 4 the game, who went on to watch the anime and is going to buy the DVD's when they come out, and he's never watched an anime before.

Speaking of Persona 4, going back to it and going through the first dungeon has been so :smug:, since playing through other SMT games has taught me good strategies. Being able to use debuffs on bosses that used to kick my rear end is just so satisfying.