Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
I posted this in the WebOS thread but I'm going to post it here too. Today I installed PDAnet so I could tether my Iphone 3g with my HP Touch Pad. The internet works fine via the browser but third party apps aren't doing their thing. My WebOS IRC client won't connect to any servers and neither will the IRC client on my ICS install. Pandora apps won't connect either and that's the reason I bought PDAnet in the first place. I've tried PDAnet with hide usage level 1, level 2 and disabled with no luck. In WebOS I can listen to Pandora by just going to pandora.com because WebOS flash support is really awesome, but that is only with level 1 hiding and that scares me a bit. Ideally I would like to use level 2 for all web browsing and just use the Pandora app seperate from the browser.

I had to do some ad-hoc trickery to get ICS and WebOS to be able to connect to PDAnet because the Iphone 3g doesn't do infrastructure mode. No idea if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
This is probably a stupid question, but is there a mailing list we can sign up for in order to get an update on when the next untethered jailbreak gets released for those of us who don't follow the scene? I had 4.3.5 and there were no untethered jailbreaks and then I come back and now there aren't any untethered jailbreaks for the current version :smith:

Finally dumped my crap to iFaith and updated to 5.1 today.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does anyone have ATV2 Airplay mirroring working on the tethered OS 5.1 jailbreak?

I have XBMC installed but it's Airplay settings are turned off, so I think it's an issue with the JB. Rebooting doesn't seem to help, and google doesn't have much info.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm confused. You want to use AirPlay with xbmc but you have it turned off in the settings? That seems to make sense to me.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, Airplay Mirroring.

I have no desire to airplay/stream content to XBMC. I want to be able to beam my iPad display to the big TV via the ATV2's display mirroring. This worked on 5.1 before the jailbreak.

I need to restore to the 5.1 JB and try it before installing XBMC to see if that's the difference. I had hoped to hear from someone in the positive or negative to save me the effort because I'm lazy.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 15, 2012

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Im thinking about getting one of these Hdmi cables for my iPad 2:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter-iPad/dp/B004QK5N5W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Im aware that this probably isnt an official one for 20 quid but it seems like it works without "resupported4" anyway, what I dont know though is if I use this along with "display out" will I be able to watch netflix through the thing?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Solly posted:

Im thinking about getting one of these Hdmi cables for my iPad 2:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter-iPad/dp/B004QK5N5W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Im aware that this probably isnt an official one for 20 quid but it seems like it works without "resupported4" anyway, what I dont know though is if I use this along with "display out" will I be able to watch netflix through the thing?

I'm inclined to believe it's the official one. It says Apple in the title, and the sub-title says "by Apple". It's strange that it's £10-15 cheaper than what Apple is charging directly though. Maybe the seller is trying to sell of its stock for whatever reason.

As for whether the mirroring will work with Netflix, I'm not really sure.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm inclined to believe it's the official one. It says Apple in the title, and the sub-title says "by Apple". It's strange that it's £10-15 cheaper than what Apple is charging directly though. Maybe the seller is trying to sell of its stock for whatever reason.

As for whether the mirroring will work with Netflix, I'm not really sure.

It isn't an official one. Amazon is packed with fake cables, and you just need to make sure you're reading the reviews (one of the few times Amazon reviews are useful) so you get a cable that does what you want and doesn't, like, not have sound or whatever.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
I have an iPhone 3GS on 4.3.5 and am trying to update to 5.0.1 to have an untethered jailbreak. Every IPSW I've downloaded yields the "This device is not eligible for upgrading". I've downloaded Tinyumbrella and made sure that the "Route to Cydia" box is unchecked so I don't know what the hell else to do. This is really pissing me off.

Edit: I just tried upgrading directly through iTunes to 5.1 and then going to the tethered jailbreak but the same message keeps on coming up. What the hell!

In my hosts file (on Os X lion) I have the gs.apple.com line with the # in front of it. That's right? What else could it be?

wizard sticks fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 15, 2012

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

wizard sticks posted:

I have an iPhone 3GS on 4.3.5 and am trying to update to 5.0.1 to have an untethered jailbreak. Every IPSW I've downloaded yields the "This device is not eligible for upgrading". I've downloaded Tinyumbrella and made sure that the "Route to Cydia" box is unchecked so I don't know what the hell else to do. This is really pissing me off.

Edit: I just tried upgrading directly through iTunes to 5.1 and then going to the tethered jailbreak but the same message keeps on coming up. What the hell!

In my hosts file (on Os X lion) I have the gs.apple.com line with the # in front of it. That's right? What else could it be?

From my understanding, after a while Apple de-authorizes firmware releases and you can no longer install them UNLESS you have already installed them at one point and saved the resulting blob hash file thing using tf. Then you can load it up that way, otherwise you're hosed and missed your chance.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

From my understanding, after a while Apple de-authorizes firmware releases and you can no longer install them UNLESS you have already installed them at one point and saved the resulting blob hash file thing using tf. Then you can load it up that way, otherwise you're hosed and missed your chance.

Yeah that is what I understand too, but I thought you could block the query to Apple's servers and then install old firmwares that way. Regardless, the error still comes up when I try to install 5.1 (newest firmware) directly dloaded through iTunes.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

So I lost my old phone and got an iPhone 3G from a friend to hold me over until my next upgrade. Jailbroke it yesterday with Redsn0w.

Any tweaks or whatever to speed it up? This thing is slow as balls.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

wizard sticks posted:

Yeah that is what I understand too, but I thought you could block the query to Apple's servers and then install old firmwares that way. Regardless, the error still comes up when I try to install 5.1 (newest firmware) directly dloaded through iTunes.

You can, you just have to have a backed up hash. Make sure you remove the line from your hosts file and then try and run the upgrade vanilla.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Shroomie posted:

So I lost my old phone and got an iPhone 3G from a friend to hold me over until my next upgrade. Jailbroke it yesterday with Redsn0w.

Any tweaks or whatever to speed it up? This thing is slow as balls.

http://www.whited00r.com/

If you don't pick up whited00r you'll definitely want SBSettings so you can have some control over the processes running in the background.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

You can, you just have to have a backed up hash. Make sure you remove the line from your hosts file and then try and run the upgrade vanilla.

I've removed the line from the hosts file and even then the 5.1 (latest version) upgrade done directly through iTunes doesn't work. Is there anywhere else that the hosts file edit could have impacted, or am I going to have to reformat my computer?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

wizard sticks posted:

I've removed the line from the hosts file and even then the 5.1 (latest version) upgrade done directly through iTunes doesn't work.

I've had this happen and using iREB then shift clicking an .ipsw in iTunes to restore worked for me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I always have problems upgrading a jailbroken device unless I shift+click restore. It's pretty much the same if you have a backup, it just takes longer.

If not, did you try DFU mode?

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Kazy posted:

I always have problems upgrading a jailbroken device unless I shift+click restore. It's pretty much the same if you have a backup, it just takes longer.

If not, did you try DFU mode?

I've been shift+clicking restore to find my IPSW, which doesn't work, but I will give DFU mode a try! Would upgrading to 5.1 on a 3GS be a dumb idea?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is there a go-to resource on jailbreak statuses for all devices (besides this thread)? I keep checking back to see if there is a 5.1 untethered jailbreak for the 4S but everytime I google it I need to sift through various websites that are obviously capitalizing on the lack of a clear resource on the subject ("Jailbreak any device with our service! A4, iPad2, iPad3, A5! Only 10 USD!" or whatever).

Edit: Sigh, should have read the OP more thoroughly. Here's the list in the second post that answers my question:

"maduin posted:

Q: Where can I get the most up-to-date jailbreaking information?
A: Probably Twitter. Some of the major contributors include @MuscleNerd, @comex, @saurik, @chpwn, @i0n1c, @rpetrich, and @iphone_dev. Sources outside of Twitter include ModMyi, Redmond Pie, the iPhone Dev-Team Blog, and various other gadget sites.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is there a go-to resource on jailbreak statuses for all devices (besides this thread)? I keep checking back to see if there is a 5.1 untethered jailbreak for the 4S but everytime I google it I need to sift through various websites that are obviously capitalizing on the lack of a clear resource on the subject ("Jailbreak any device with our service! A4, iPad2, iPad3, A5! Only 10 USD!" or whatever).

Edit: Sigh, should have read the OP more thoroughly. Here's the list in the second post that answers my question: "Q: Where can I get the most up-to-date jailbreaking information?
A: Probably Twitter. Some of the major contributors include @MuscleNerd, @comex, @saurik, @chpwn, @i0n1c, @rpetrich, and @iphone_dev. Sources outside of Twitter include ModMyi, Redmond Pie, the iPhone Dev-Team Blog, and various other gadget sites."

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Noone uses thebigboss.org?

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

decypher posted:

http://www.whited00r.com/

If you don't pick up whited00r you'll definitely want SBSettings so you can have some control over the processes running in the background.

Wow! Thanks for the link. I never heard of whited00r before. It makes my iPhone 3G useable again. It's too bad there are like no apps for 3.1.3. Really, if they just had some kind of GPS distance tracking app for jogging, like runkeeper or something, that worked with ios3 it would be perfect for me.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

overseerbrian posted:

Wow! Thanks for the link. I never heard of whited00r before. It makes my iPhone 3G useable again. It's too bad there are like no apps for 3.1.3. Really, if they just had some kind of GPS distance tracking app for jogging, like runkeeper or something, that worked with ios3 it would be perfect for me.

I hate to recommend that Cydia App That Must Not Be Named as it has a bad rap when it comes to piracy, but thats the only place you'll find old versions of apps to populate your phone with. It'll make your phone usable again, but the cost is your soul.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
This was asked in December 2011...

Revol posted:

Are there any tweaks out there to Apple's Reminders system? I'm looking for the ability to have all active reminders always stay visible on the lock screen, so I'll always have that reminder visible, not just when it's 'due'.

...and I've yet to see a JB app that does just this. All I want is added functionality for the Reminders app that keeps reminders a) constantly on my lock screen, rather than just on a given day/at a given location, and b) persistent (ie. doesn't go away the minute you unlock your phone).

The closest thing I've seen is iReminder but it's ugly as sin, and it doesn't interface with the default Reminders app in any way, shape or form.

Any ideas?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Goodpart posted:

This was asked in December 2011...

...and I've yet to see a JB app that does just this. All I want is added functionality for the Reminders app that keeps reminders a) constantly on my lock screen, rather than just on a given day/at a given location, and b) persistent (ie. doesn't go away the minute you unlock your phone).

The closest thing I've seen is iReminder but it's ugly as sin, and it doesn't interface with the default Reminders app in any way, shape or form.

Any ideas?
LockInfo can do this, it's the way I have it set up on my phone.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Looks like an A5 5.1 jailbreak is, if not imminent, progressing quickly at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see a release very soon.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

quote:

‏@pod2g
ASLR seems bypassed! Weird machines FTW. Time to ROP the payload.

sounds pretty kinky

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
What's the best Siri port for a 4 running 5.1?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Looks like an A5 5.1 jailbreak is, if not imminent, progressing quickly at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see a release very soon.

I'm getting confused at this point. Would this include, or not include, iPad 3's and such?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Feenix posted:

I'm getting confused at this point. Would this include, or not include, iPad 3's and such?

iPad 2 and iPhone 4s are A5, iPad 3 is A5x. But then I'm not sure how much different a A5x is.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Is there a workaround to make my official av cable work on my iPad 2 on iOS 5.0? The wonderful people at apple have decreed that only those with iOS5.1 may output video through a cable that costs more than its weight in gold.

Katya
May 26, 2008
They say that tethered jailbreaks are 'better', but in a practical sense, how can someone connect their phone to a computer every time that they want it to boot? I realize that a tethered jailbreak increases the stability of the phone; but does anyone actually do it?

Also, is the upgrade worth making for the iPhone?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Solly posted:

Is there a workaround to make my official av cable work on my iPad 2 on iOS 5.0? The wonderful people at apple have decreed that only those with iOS5.1 may output video through a cable that costs more than its weight in gold.

I don't understand...did it ever work on 5.0? Did they somehow disable it after 5.1 was released? (this can't be possible)

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I don't understand...did it ever work on 5.0? Did they somehow disable it after 5.1 was released? (this can't be possible)

Thats the thing, I have no idea how they could do this other than updating the firmware in the cable, I guess I'm going to have to wait for a 5.1 jailbreak which is really annoying because if I'd just cheaped out and bought a 3rd party cable it would bloody well work. Unless they just don't let you use the cable with a jailbreak or something.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

kmcormick9 posted:

What's the best Siri port for a 4 running 5.1?

I just found out about i4Siri, which uses Googles API instead of an official Apple server. In researching this I still have no idea what this technical jargon means, but unfortunately you would need Spire, which currently only works for 5.0.1. This leads me to my question: would the updated version of redsnow allow me to downgrade from 5.1? The issue I have is not knowing(or preserving) my APTicket. Again not sure what it is or what it does. I would like to have Siri for the novelty of having it.

Would there still be a way to copy the code from a friends JB 4s? Not sure if i4Siri was just an alternative method, or now the only viable option to getting Siri on my 4.

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

Solly posted:

Thats the thing, I have no idea how they could do this other than updating the firmware in the cable, I guess I'm going to have to wait for a 5.1 jailbreak which is really annoying because if I'd just cheaped out and bought a 3rd party cable it would bloody well work. Unless they just don't let you use the cable with a jailbreak or something.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1352013

SHSH into your iPad, modify the SystemVersion.plist file to 5.1, and the App Store (as well as the auto-updater) will be fooled into thinking you're running 5.1 on your iPad. I can't say with 100% certainty if it will fix your issue, but it's worth a shot.

2fat4sex fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 20, 2012

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

2fat4sex posted:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1352013

SHSH into your iPad, modify the SystemVersion.plist file to 5.1, and the App Store (as well as the auto-updater) will be fooled into thinking you're running 5.1 on your iPad. I can't say with 100% certainty if it will fix your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Unfortunately this does not fix it, but thanks all the same.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Solly posted:

Unfortunately this does not fix it, but thanks all the same.

I still don't see how they could have disabled it. Is it just certain apps that don't output video, or all?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Of course they didn't disable it. There is no iOS 5.1 restriction. That's ridiculous.

It's either a broken adapter/cable or a 5.x bug.

There were a number of complaints on the Apple forum when 5.0 came out from people saying their adapter and/or cable stopped working and needed replacing after upgrading from 4.x, and there still plenty of people bitching that it doesn't work in 5.1 either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

I've just run into this wierd issue with my iPhone 4S (5.0.1) and Siri. If I have AssistantExtensions or any other jailbreak packages that depend on that being installed, Siri will no longer work for me. I'll make a request and it will just hang at the Siri screen indefinitely trying to complete my request. I did some troubleshooting, and it seems like whenever I uninstalled AssistantExtensions Siri started working again, and broke again when I reinstalled it. Oddly though, sometimes uninstalling AssistantExtensions would still leave Siri broken, and it wouldn't start working again until I had uninstalled all packages I have that enhance Siri functionality (AssistantLove, Lingual, Hands-Free Control).

I notice this only started happening since the recent AssistantExtensions update in Cydia. Is anyone else having this issue, or would they have any idea what might be causing this?

edit: After playing around a bit with reinstalling AssitantExtensions and uninstalling it, it seems as though Siri will still remain broken after AssistantExtensions is uninstalled until I remove another Cydia package (it doesn't matter which). I'll reinstall AssistantExtensions, Siri will break, uninstall it, it will still be broken, and then I tried uninstalling f.lux (since I had already uninstalled all of the other Siri tweaks) and it fixed it again. Bizarre.

2fat4sex fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2012

• Locked thread