Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I love the JAL water cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
My fam to Dulles tower on tues got cancelled due to the volume of fam requests that day. Imagine that.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

kmcormick9 posted:

My fam to Dulles tower on tues got cancelled due to the volume of fam requests that day. Imagine that.

Supposedly they're going to fly right up the Potomac with Discovery, I'm wondering how early Gravely Point is going to be swamped with people. If you could get a parking space there you should have a great view of the shuttle, as well as watching flights from National.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Those Spitfires sound too good to be true.

That said, god I hope it's true. :ohdear:

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

heyou posted:

Supposedly they're going to fly right up the Potomac with Discovery, I'm wondering how early Gravely Point is going to be swamped with people. If you could get a parking space there you should have a great view of the shuttle, as well as watching flights from National.
I question how likely it is that they would follow the Potomac directly as that would have the potential to significantly interfere with the traffic pattern at National. I will most likely be heading over to the Mall, since I expect that to be a good overall viewing location, although the Georgetown waterfront would be more convenient to me if they were in fact going to follow the Potomac.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

My workplace is just south of Udvar-Hazy and directly under the normal Dulles southern landing approach, so I'm crossing my finger that it may fly over. Unfortunately I can't skip out of meetings long enough to get up to Dulles itself :(

Does anyone know which radio stations will be covering the flyover/flight path?

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Terrifying Effigies posted:

My workplace is just south of Udvar-Hazy and directly under the normal Dulles southern landing approach, so I'm crossing my finger that it may fly over. Unfortunately I can't skip out of meetings long enough to get up to Dulles itself :(

Does anyone know which radio stations will be covering the flyover/flight path?

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=KIAD

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

NASA TV has been on and off as well.

Still up in the air...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A buddy of mine took a redeye from Dulles to Harrisburg & that they delayed takeoff so that the Shuttle flight could land. He watched it from his window seat from the tarmac. Lucky gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The thing has been cruising around my building a good amount, it's pretty cool.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
I put up an album of the photos I got of it from the Mall on my little point and shoot, for whatever they are worth.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Great photos, thanks

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I took about 200 from my vantage point. Once I get them edited and sorted I'll post up

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

We had a visitor at work today...

One of his buddies came by as well...

Apparently he liked the place so much he came back around later!

Hope he enjoys his new home!

I'm little disappointed they didn't use the other runway at Dulles for the landing, then it would have passed directly over me.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Some closeups as well:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Do they always fly with a chase plane?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Why I am I having such a hard time identifying the chase plane? F-5?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why I am I having such a hard time identifying the chase plane? F-5?

T-38. The trainer version of the F-5

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

T-38. The trainer version of the F-5

Oh well I was closeish.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

Do they always fly with a chase plane?

They had one flying about 5 minutes ahead to test the winds along the flight path. I figure they had the second one just because it looked cool. The two T-38s came up a few weeks ago to test and practice the flyover routes.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

I figure they had the second one just because it looked cool.
The one in formation was a photo plane in addition to whatever sort of other safety/chase duties it may have had.

MagnumHB fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 17, 2012

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Should have released it and let it glide in to Dulles, Enterprise-style. :swoon:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Awesome shots guys, jealous I have never witnessed the shuttle fly.
My contribution

I guess while we are at it...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I love how they wanted Discovery operationally dirty and not gleaming new factory clean.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

When will the shuttle be up for viewing? I've wanted to take a daytrip up to see the museum on one of my days off but I kept postponing it (mainly because i'm lazy.) I guess it's a good thing I did.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No idea but I can't imagine it'll take too long.

It'll be kind of cool to see Enterprise back in the air again. When was it moved to the Smithsonian? 27 years ago?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Awesome shots guys, jealous I have never witnessed the shuttle fly.
My contribution

Is there a larger version/source for that? Because I'd seriously frame that on my wall.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

slidebite posted:

I love how they wanted Discovery operationally dirty and not gleaming new factory clean.

I have a funny story about that.

So, I was up at Oshkosh the year they had Space Ship One on display after the X-prize. Was walking back past Aeroshell square one evening, when I saw two guys with a heat-gun and a 2x4 bashing on the faring around the engine bell of SSO.

Turns out, Rutan had wanted to show the ship looking slick and nice, but it had experienced considerable heat-buckling during the actual mission, so they smoothed the dents out for Osh, and then put them back in again before it hung in the Smithsonian.

Is there a larger version/source for that? Because I'd seriously frame that on my wall.

Pretty sure that I've seen it in color, and that it is a photoshop. For one thing, that isn't the cape in the background.

ere we go
http://500px.com/photo/5431139 Richard Silvera

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 18, 2012

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty sure that I've seen it in color, and that it is a photoshop. For one thing, that isn't the cape in the background.

ere we go
http://500px.com/photo/5431139 Richard Silvera

Yeah, I figured it was a shop given the lack of a tower. Still a nice pic though.

So...my office mate owns a couple of parrots and is good friends with the owners of an aviary shop about a mile from my office on Route 50.

They posted up their Discovery flyover pics on Facebook and...:tviv:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

With the shuttle attached, the operational range of the modified 747-100 that they use to carry the shuttle drops from 5500nmi to 1000nmi.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty sure that I've seen it in color, and that it is a photoshop.

nuts :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Too bad they can't aerial refuel that bitch. Those would be some ridiculous photos.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

With the shuttle attached, the operational range of the modified 747-100 that they use to carry the shuttle drops from 5500nmi to 1000nmi.

Drag coefficient of a billboard

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Reading the comments on some of the news sites is hilarious. People are still bitching that Houston didn't get one, and they are boggled that the Intrepid is getting one. One literally said "why would an aircraft carrier get NASA stuff".

Maybe if Houston would send some of the old rocket poo poo to the Intrepid to commemorate, you know, the Intrepid picking them out of the sea this wouldn't have happened. gently caress you, Houston!

PainterofCrap posted:

Drag coefficient of a billboard

There should be hydraulically operated struts under the shuttle so the pilot could adjust it like a supermodified wing.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 18, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm pretty sure Intrepid has a space exhibit?

Practically it's going to the Intrepid because it's the aerospace museum in NYC not because of the Intrepid.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, the space portion of the Intrepid isn't very big and IIRC they don't actually have any space vehicles there.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Reading the comments on some of the news sites is hilarious. People are still bitching that Houston didn't get one, and they are boggled that the Intrepid is getting one. One literally said "why would an aircraft carrier get NASA stuff".

Maybe if Houston would send some of the old rocket poo poo to the Intrepid to commemorate, you know, the Intrepid picking them out of the sea this wouldn't have happened. gently caress you, Houston!

"Atlantis will be on display at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, near Cape Canaveral, Florida."

:smaug: heh, gently caress you, got mine!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

VikingSkull posted:

Reading the comments on some of the news sites is hilarious. People are still bitching that Houston didn't get one,
Wasn't it someone here that said Texas already got Columbia?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

slidebite posted:

Wasn't it someone here that said Texas already got Columbia?

If they hadn't, I was just about to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Didn't NASA require that whoever gets the shuttles stores them indoors at all times? How is the Intrepid going to deal with that?