Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tendales posted:

You need to use special spraypaint to paint foam. I think testors makes some. If you can't find any at a hobby shop, try looking for floral spray paint at a craft supply shop, or even asking a florist.

Yes, because it is the propellant, not the paint, that dissolves it.

For our boards, I did this:

1) cut out rough shapes if you want holes, rivers or whatever
2) apply a layer of fine grained spackle over the entire board and let it dry
3) apply a second layer of spackle, as your first one is unlikely to cover it
4) paint the board dark brown
5) drybrush lighter and lighter layers
6) apply special "tacky glue" and drop on flock, static grass, tufts, and any such green things you want on there
7) spray a sealing layer with a special scenery sealing glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

InternetJunky posted:

I just spent a few hours this morning masking off armour plates on a mini, painting some damage areas on the armour, masking the damage areas with liquid mask, then airbrushing all the armour only to have the entire thing peel off when I went to remove the liquid mask. :(

Anyone know of an easy way to strip the paint of just a specific area?

This god damned model is cursed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Crossposting from Oath thread. Yes, I suck, please be nice :ohdear:

Howdy Oath Thread. Oasthsquad has returned for more photographs. Four of them, in fact, plus a bonus close-up.

Running away:

Dance:

Dance (slightly pathetic Kaptin's Log is the war wound on the Ork's arm. It is somewhat incised, and like many of the things here, a practice for a more involved piece of work later. Meh if it doesn't score):

Front view:

And the bits that I'm most pleased with (the lion's muzzle) and which most irritate me (the bits where the undercoat's still showing, though it's not noticeable at TT height - actually getting a brush in round his collar is next to impossible, I couldn't even poke wash into that gap, which would have helped), and babby's first (well, second, but the first try a few months ago was so poo poo as to be dumped straight into the Dettol) OSL; all in the same photo:

Still not sure as to whether to add the extra mini. I have the conversion work done, and the paint job really shouldn't be too taxing, but I'm lovely at working over the weekends. Plus, painting the chain is something I'm not sure about. Maybe I'll ask in Painting and Modelling once I've taken some prelim photos.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red Robin Hood posted:

Just go to home depot or ace hardware. Water-based spray latex paint.

I've tried this stuff. Wasn't too pleased with the result.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

ijyt posted:

This is insanely good. I can't even comprehend how someone can model so much detail on something so small, with green stuff to boot!

Hopefully I'll have something to share later this summer (I started stripping old models in Dettol but forgot about them, hopefully a year of Dettol submersion doesn't result in a puddle of plastic. :ohdear:).

Thanks, ijyt. That's very nice of you to say. I just started using a magnifying visor- it's super nice. I can now see what the macro-zoom later picks up.
The real secret to working on small details is to just work really small(and do it in a layered manner).
Green Stuff is the traditional medium for sculpting miniatures. If you think mine is really good check these out:

http://www.reapermini.com/Greens

Here is progress from today. Another foot. Started on the right hand- only a thumb and two fingers for now. Also added the back of the robe that I thought would be covered by hair but is now visible.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

Anyone know of an easy way to strip the paint of just a specific area?
I'm answering my own question here, but if anyone ever has to remove just a bit of paint off a mini the easy answer appears to be brushing on some alcohol with a hard brush and then rubbing with a q-tip. This took my primer/base layer/multiple highlight layers off in a rather alarmingly easy way.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks, ijyt. That's very nice of you to say. I just started using a magnifying visor- it's super nice. I can now see what the macro-zoom later picks up.
The real secret to working on small details is to just work really small(and do it in a layered manner).
Green Stuff is the traditional medium for sculpting miniatures. If you think mine is really good check these out:

Here is progress from today. Another foot. Started on the right hand- only a thumb and two fingers for now. Also added the back of the robe that I thought would be covered by hair but is now visible.

Like someone else said in thus thread, I will throw money at you if you can make some casts for this.

4 srs

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fix posted:

I've tried this stuff. Wasn't too pleased with the result.

Is is just to coat the stuff before you actually prime it, really.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red Robin Hood posted:

Is is just to coat the stuff before you actually prime it, really.

Yeah, I just found that it was thick and goopy and peeled easily.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Oh god, it's been so long since I got to use GW metallics I forgot how easy they are to use.
Clearly, on the 7th day, god created citadel chainmail.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

My boltgun metal is gummy to all hell, but my chainmail I got at the same time is still perfect.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EVIR Gibson posted:

Like someone else said in thus thread, I will throw money at you if you can make some casts for this.

4 srs

https://www.protocad.com

I actually use these guys professionally and they're amazing.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
So I'm working on these wolves, and I think I like where they are going. Now its down to detail work.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Got my Dragon Forge bases in the mail the other day, thought I'd paint one up as a test before putting them on my oathed guys.

There's a full review on my blog, but the cliff notes version is that they're pretty sweet.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hellbeard posted:

This guy is looking totally awesome. As a sidenote, its great to check back over your posts and see how he has developed in just a couple weeks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of making a Battleshots gameboard, and was wondering what to use as the ships.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Shot glasses?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bavius posted:

Shot glasses?

Thinking more like but with fancier ships that have been painted because I'm A Huge Dork

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good grey spray paint? I'll be painting white but would rather skip some of the black base coat -> grey build-up if possible.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ijyt posted:

Can anyone recommend a good grey spray paint? I'll be painting white but would rather skip some of the black base coat -> grey build-up if possible.

I've used Rustoleum camo and primer for spraying. It's like $5/can and is amazon prime eligible. Also don't prime black. :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Duplicolor sandable auto-body primer comes in black, gray and white, and that's the best that I've personally used.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ijyt posted:

I use Krylon grey primer and it works great. Haven't used Duplicolor or Rustoleum but I hear good things. Stay away from Valspar or other store brands, they've been pretty bad in my experience.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a full review on my blog, but the cliff notes version is that they're pretty sweet.

What model is this?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What model is this?

The Hassassin Lasiq, from Infinity's Haqqislam army.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll see what I can get in the UK!

e: looks like rustoleum it is.

Naramyth posted:

I've used Rustoleum camo and primer for spraying. It's like $5/can and is amazon prime eligible. Also don't prime black. :v:

I've been pretty out of touch since my early teen years (:negative:) of hamming, but why should I avoid it, for future reference?

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 17, 2012

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ijyt posted:

I've been pretty out of touch since my early teen years (:negative:) of hamming, but why should I avoid it, for future reference?

Because it's hard as gently caress to paint white over black.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

E:

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Thinking more like but with fancier ships that have been painted because I'm A Huge Dork

You could make them yourself out of cardboard or foam, bonus points if you make styrofoam filled with ice.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 17, 2012

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

Ceramite White goes a long way towards making white easier to paint, but even then I'd start with a basecoat of Codex or Astronomicon Grey or whatever their equivalents are now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fix posted:

Oh no, I totally get that, I thought he meant in general. It's why I asked for a grey spray in the first place.

vvv: Thanks, a little more expensive than the rustoleum but I'll have a look-see.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 17, 2012

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

ijyt posted:

Oh no, I totally get that, I thought he meant in general. It's why I asked for a grey spray in the first place.

Grey Primer? If you're in the UK, then Halford's spray primers are pretty good and reasonably cheap.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Epi Lepi posted:

What model is this?

Mango Polo posted:

The Hassassin Lasiq, from Infinity's Haqqislam army.

What Mango Polo said. You should check out the range, Infinity is pretty sweet.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ijyt posted:

In general, there's nothing black primer does that grey primer doesn't, except maybe provide automatic deep shadows. But even then, grey primer plus a black wash is easier to get lighter colors from than black primer, and no harder to do dark colors. Once I switched to grey I can't imagine a reason to go back to black primer unless the model was primarily going to be black.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Cross postin' first rank of my marauders.

Besides the usual nicks and dents on your armour, fighting for the dark gods can end in more sinister damage.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What Mango Polo said. You should check out the range, Infinity is pretty sweet.
You need to post up 'yer HaqqIslamites son, I don't want to hear no excuses either. :colbert:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bhsman posted:

Ceramite White goes a long way towards making white easier to paint

That reminds me, this is the gospel truth. This weekend I finally got to try out some of the new foundation (or "base" or whatever) paints and whoever said that everyone should pick up some ceramite white and mephiston red wasn't loving kidding. Dear God it's so much more user friendly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm thinking of making a Battleshots gameboard, and was wondering what to use as the ships.

Make the water like this:
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6395&sort=0&start=30

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'd honestly keep it cheap and durable, considering you're going to be playing battleshots with it. If its popular, its going to get a lot of wear and tear.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

That reminds me, this is the gospel truth. This weekend I finally got to try out some of the new foundation (or "base" or whatever) paints and whoever said that everyone should pick up some ceramite white and mephiston red wasn't loving kidding. Dear God it's so much more user friendly.

Priming grey and base coating in thin ceramic white layers sounds like the way to go, then. Thanks for your help lads.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You could just prime white :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ghetto wormhole posted:

You could just prime white :v:

Yeah, I thought that too, but I have never found a white spray primer that behaves well under non-perfect conditions. Grey or black Krylon I have primed in temperatures from 40 to 95, in humidity ranging from super dry to actually raining and its never been less than perfect finish. White primer is always super tempermental and I feel like if it deviates at all from 65 degrees and perfect balanced humidity I'll wind up with fuzzy minis or streaks or whatever.

• Locked thread