Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I guess I know that's the why but it's so infuriating.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

b0nes posted:

I have a cool idea for an app but I don't know jack poo poo about programming. Where do I start?

Learn Java as stated before or/and Learn to program android apps directly

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Learn Java as stated before or/and Learn to program android apps directly

I love the last sentence in section 1 of that tutorial:

quote:

Typically not all users check the permissions in detail but some users do. If there is something strange in the required permissions, they will write bad reviews on Google Play.

Right on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

Go back to the main settings menu, then click Check for Updates (under the More divider).

I couldn't find a "more", but it's okay since it downloaded an update when I left it alone for a while. I'm liking the 8-way ICS sliders.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Cerberus users? I've been trying it trial mode for a few days and just tonight paid for it from market. I don't have a new item for the license in my "my apps - purchased" like I do for titanium license. Is my license a market thing like titanium or something saved on Cerberus servers tied to my Cerberus login Id?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 15, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wagonburner posted:

Cerberus users? I've been trying it trial mode for a few days and just tonight paid for it from market. I don't have a new item for the license in my "my apps - purchased" like I do for titanium license. Is my license a market thing like titanium or something saved on Cerberus servers tied to my Cerberus login Id?

Pretty sure it's tied to your Cerberus ID.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
E-mail them about it if you open up Cerberus and it still says something about trial period. They apparently had a problem with my account not being activated even after I purchased my premium account.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I rebooted the phone later and it said it was reg'ed and not trial anymore. Still nothing new in my apps but makes sense I guess if the license is tied to the login id.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I know this is a silly question but what's the difference between fastboot and regular boot (rebooting through the phone instead of removing the battery). I always heard the latter is better.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I seem to remember an earlier thread having a bit more apps in the OP that I wanted to check out.

One of them was the goon recommended scheduler that would change your phone profile to vibrate and such when you went into certain GPS locations, or during certain times and such.

There are a ton of them, and I don't want to waste money on a lovely one when there are goon recommended versions.

Also, I had heard of an app that lets you lock certain apps from updating, I don't know where I had heard about it, but specifically Google+ keeps asking for me to update, and the Google Messenger I use is amazing, the new version of the App requires you to constantly poll messages instead of just caching it. So I never update that App anymore, even though it's constantly detecting updates, which is getting annoying.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

KGBAgent185 posted:

One of them was the goon recommended scheduler that would change your phone profile to vibrate and such when you went into certain GPS locations, or during certain times and such.

Also, I had heard of an app that lets you lock certain apps from updating, I don't know where I had heard about it, but specifically Google+ keeps asking for me to update, and the Google Messenger I use is amazing, the new version of the App requires you to constantly poll messages instead of just caching it. So I never update that App anymore, even though it's constantly detecting updates, which is getting annoying.
The first app you're talking about is either tasker or locale. Tasker is more flexible and has more functions beyond running scripts using GPS location, but it is more complicated to use and requires a fair bit of time spent to set it up. Locale is far easier to use but limited to GPS location scripts.

The other app you mention is probably Titanium Backup which requires root, but it can freeze, backup, and restore apps. If you just want the apps to stop updating rather than freezing them, I think you can do that without an app. Check the installed app in the settings.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The first one could also be Setting Profiles.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Craptacular! posted:

So, Google Reader interface: Do you guys prefer gReader or GoodNews?

Neither, NewsRob has been to go to Google Reader app for me for a couple of years now. Really fast and has tons of offline syncing options.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

TPNMVZ posted:

The first app you're talking about is either tasker or locale. Tasker is more flexible and has more functions beyond running scripts using GPS location, but it is more complicated to use and requires a fair bit of time spent to set it up. Locale is far easier to use but limited to GPS location scripts.

The other app you mention is probably Titanium Backup which requires root, but it can freeze, backup, and restore apps. If you just want the apps to stop updating rather than freezing them, I think you can do that without an app. Check the installed app in the settings.

Tasker is the one I was thinking of.

As for the second app I was hoping for a non-rooted solution, but I'll look into the settings. I kind of doubt google would allow it for it's own app though. :(

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While Amazon is certainly not blameless in misrepresenting (at least to the public) the success (or lack thereof) of FAOTD on app revenue, according to shiftyjelly, Amazon did ask them if they wanted to be a FAOTD first, and did clarify the 0% revenue share up front. In fact, there was even email clarification over that point.

If it was uneconomical for shiftyjelly to make Pocket Casts a FAOTD due to bandwidth costs, then honestly it was their mistake for doing it.
All I'll say is that it's perhaps a bad design to cache the rss feeds on their own server, when it doesn't really help speed anything up, and effectively delays new podcasts being found compared to apps fetching rss feeds directly.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Any launcher out there that can show apps in a list by name? I've decided I hate grids of icons.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Rooster Brooster posted:

Any launcher out there that can show apps in a list by name? I've decided I hate grids of icons.

Non serious but legitimate answer: Touchwiz!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

Ă°ÂŸÂÂ†Ă°ÂŸÂÂ†Ă°ÂŸÂ†

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...m1haW5saXRlIl0.

Android and WP7 in some kind of unholy and buggy mashup but the launcher does have an app list

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rooster Brooster posted:

I think FolderOrganizer could do that, if you use the main GUI as an app launcher rather than a...folder organiser.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
This is driving me nuts. Why can't the Android Browser or Chrome copy an image so I can paste it in an email like with iOS?

I have to save it to the Gallery and then attach it. I just want to paste an in-line image!

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Secx posted:

This is driving me nuts. Why can't the Android Browser or Chrome copy an image so I can paste it in an email like with iOS?

I have to save it to the Gallery and then attach it. I just want to paste an in-line image!

Long press the image, does the menu offer the "share image" option?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Does anyone know of a pdf reader that can handle files that are roughly 75mb? The current pdf readers I use either take a long time to open the file, crash frequently, and/or take a long time to load pages. If it helps, the pdf files contain pictures and text, and I'm viewing them on a tablet (the Iconia a500).

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The only thing that really bothers me about Android is the sound management. If I hit my volume control buttons on the homescreen, my volume control goes up or down (but not as loud as I'd like), but my text message volume remains unchanged. That sound was chosen in Go SMS Pro and seems to be tied to media volume, but I can't even change the media volume in Go SMS Pro. I have to open a music player or whatever to change the volume.

Anyway. This whole thing seems like an overly complicated clusterfuck.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ante posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about Android is the sound management. If I hit my volume control buttons on the homescreen, my volume control goes up or down (but not as loud as I'd like), but my text message volume remains unchanged. That sound was chosen in Go SMS Pro and seems to be tied to media volume, but I can't even change the media volume in Go SMS Pro. I have to open a music player or whatever to change the volume.

Anyway. This whole thing seems like an overly complicated clusterfuck.

Text message volume is tied to Notification Volume. There are plenty of widgets and apps for controlling each of the volumes individually, and I think you can change it in settings -> sounds as well.

edit: interestingly, I thought that Android linked Ringer and Notification volumes together by default. I know it does in ICS.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ante posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about Android is the sound management. If I hit my volume control buttons on the homescreen, my volume control goes up or down (but not as loud as I'd like), but my text message volume remains unchanged.
FWIW there's an option in CM7 (I believe?) and CM9 (definitely) to link notification and ring tone volumes. But yes, sound management is definitely a weakness in Android. Although to be fair, it's a difficult problem. I understand why ringtone, media, alarm, etc., volumes might or should be decoupled, but there's not a great way without making it somewhat complicated. The fact that OEM skins further gently caress things up here is no help.

UncleNaughtyFingers
Apr 29, 2008
Edit - wrong thread :-(

UncleNaughtyFingers fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 17, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone else have issues with Handcent in the past couple of days? I've had to take the battery out of my phone a couple of times because it's completely locking up on the lockscreen, and when I've rebooted Handcent only allows me to force close or wait. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that hasn't worked. I've removed it and haven't had the same issue since.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Text message volume is tied to Notification Volume. There are plenty of widgets and apps for controlling each of the volumes individually, and I think you can change it in settings -> sounds as well.

edit: interestingly, I thought that Android linked Ringer and Notification volumes together by default. I know it does in ICS.

I use Widgetsoid 2.X (free!), and it's nice because it just gives me lots o' sliders:

. The only thing that isn't possible to control is plugged in/not plugged in media volumes. You can only control whichever one is currently active.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Chrome for Android got a nice update.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2012/04/chrome-for-android-update.html

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Chrome for Android got a nice update.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2012/04/chrome-for-android-update.html

I was really hoping for some quick controls. I'm surprised how essential those are for me now.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Jesus Christ. Chrome is a pig.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus Christ. Chrome is a pig.

You still have the old version. The new one is 52.61 MB.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You still have the old version. The new one is 52.61 MB.

Yeah. Can you guess what the triangle icon is for in my screen shot? :v:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The reason why Chrome is lol huge is because it requires 30 MB of native libraries. That alone is pretty unsurprising, but the problem is that Android doesn't support loading native libraries from .apk files, and requires them to be stored in pre-extracted from.

When the first Firefox (Fennec) builds showed up, folks complained about the very same thing. I believe the Firefox folks wrote a special loader that could read native libraries straight from an apk, saving considerable space. It's a shame that Google hasn't written something like this straight into the Android framework, there's really no reason not to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a shame that Google hasn't....

android.txt

Great post, thanks! :-)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone had any luck with the Nexus S / 4G vibrating with text messages? Even if I have the option checked for Vibrate Always in Messenger settings., it won't do anything.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ok Tasker buddies, let's figure this one out. Between Tasker, NFC, and NFC Tags I have many automated things happening when I get in and out of my car. One thing that has me stumped right now is the Tasker "Kill App" action. When it kills the app, the app closes, but seconds later it launches again. I don't know if it does this for every app, but it's doing it for TinyShark.

Is there any way I can automate closing TinyShark without it launching itself again?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

yamdankee posted:

Ok Tasker buddies, let's figure this one out. Between Tasker, NFC, and NFC Tags I have many automated things happening when I get in and out of my car. One thing that has me stumped right now is the Tasker "Kill App" action. When it kills the app, the app closes, but seconds later it launches again. I don't know if it does this for every app, but it's doing it for TinyShark.

Is there any way I can automate closing TinyShark without it launching itself again?

Why do you need to close TinyShark? You don't normally close Android apps...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Has anyone had any luck with the Nexus S / 4G vibrating with text messages? Even if I have the option checked for Vibrate Always in Messenger settings., it won't do anything.

Mine always does, but I keep most notifications on vibrate, are you trying to run silent otherwise?

Anyway, anyone know of an app that will let me stream media to a Kindle Fire from a shared network drive? It's rooted if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IRQ posted:

Mine always does, but I keep most notifications on vibrate, are you trying to run silent otherwise?

I have it set to Vibrate always, but the sounds themselves are still turned on.

• Locked thread