Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

titanium posted:

My gopro took its first direct slapshot yesterday from an ex NCAA champ/Nashville Preds player and it passed the test with flying colors. He wasnt cranked full on but it looks pretty hard. I'll try to post the vid tonight.
Haha that reminds me of a discussion I had with a ref before my last game after I hooked up my GoPro. Ref skated over and was all incredulous that I had it hooked up, warning me it could break. I had to tell him that no, I wasn't worried cause that's what it was made to do.

I was this close to telling him I didn't have to worry about it cause I wouldn't let anything but bit my tongue. Which was good since they did score on their first shot after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Thanks for all the advice everyone - I'll concentrate more on my tracking and see what that does for me. Have my first high-ish level league game tonight with a few people who can really bang in some pretty hard and accurate shots so that will be as good a place to test it as any :)

Titanium I might interested in your Rituals but have a couple questions because I don't know if I'd be buying them for the right reason and might be wasting my money (they're already expensive enough that I probably shouldn't be buying them haha) - my problem is that basically I just cannot seem to close my 5-hole tightly enough with the pads I have and I am hoping that going to a taller pad will fix that. Currently I'm using 33" and the knee cradle is pretty comfortable but I just don't seem to get closure of the five-hole when I go into the butterfly.

I wanted to try some 33+1" or 33+2" (or some of the 0.5+) but there just isn't anywhere where I live for me to try any of them on - the one or two stores in the whole city keep very very few pads in stock (if any at all) and only order in goalie equipment on demand. None of the goalies I play with have the sizes I want to try so I can't see a way for me to be able to try bigger pads out without having to buy them anyway.

How can I tell if it's the pad size, my technique, or my poor hip rotation/flexibility that's stopping me from sealing my 5-hole tightly with the pads? I don't want to drop however much money on new pads only to find out that I still have the same problem.

Any advice? Would posting photos of me in the butterfly with my current pads help?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just completely anecdotally but (I think) in most of the cases where this is asked, it's because hip flexibility doesn't allow proper closure. It's one of those things where you can buy pads with +1, +2, +5 thigh rise, but if your hip rotation doesn't allow you to bring the tips together then all you're going to do is leave the same hole open with more pad sticking out in front, unless you bring your knees together (at which point the extra thigh rise is still borderline pointless).

Seeing photos of you in your butterfly would be a great help in diagnosing any problems, but (and I'm very guilty of not doing this) I urge you to take honest photos of your butterfly like you think you'd do it in a game situation.

Posing for the camera I can probably pull off the most amazing carpet-fly ever, with great fivehole coverage and my knees nice and close together. In a game situation I am probably a little sloppier. My knees won't touch all the time (hell, a lot of the time), and my butterfly can sometimes leave gaps because I'm thinking about 100 things at once. It's those times where a good hip rotation will mean the difference between the thigh rise covering the fivehole and being exposed.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Look at how you're opening up the bottom seal on those pads. Anything on the ice is going to get through :colbert:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kd68FoE9c

Our Gopros can take a beating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty cool, it didn't even give a burst of static like most cameras do when they get smacked.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Sorry to be a bit late to the party, but I wear my pads pretty dang loose now. Those Vaughn V3s I got last winter have no knee lock and I wear the Reebok kneepads. Because of this, I wear the top two leather straps behind the knee in the fourth hole from the tightest setting. The rest down the leg I wear so I can fit four fingers between the strap and my leg. I have the lowest strap one hole away from being as tight as possible. My bootstraps are pretty loose and I'm also rockin' the FlexToes, but I have them loose enough that my skates are nearly on the ice when I'm down. With this setup I rarely land on the face of my pads. Actually, it takes some effort and I have to purposely go on the face.

When I lose sight of the puck, I play the odds, get big, and look at the skaters to see where they're looking.

Aejix, there are some exercises that can help get a wider butterfly but, as Marty pointed out, there's only so much you can do physically. I've been doing Maria Mountain's RRGT training, and it's helped a lot but there's still only so far my hips will rotate. The additional thigh rise can help a bit if you lack the flexibility, but I don't think a single-break pad would work. I know some pads also have tension-straps to pull in that thigh-rise, too. That may help.

I also accidentally found out I'm getting a GoPro for my birthday. :woop:
The wife caught me looking at them online and contemplating buying one. She told me no and admitted she's getting one. Unfortunately my birthday isn't until October.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kd68FoE9c

Our Gopros can take a beating.

Those cameras are durable as hell and even if a case or a lens broke, then those are easily replaceable. Were you able to get any game footage from that day or did you not notice the camera was off angle until after the game?

I was able to find a goalie who could fill in for me until I'm healthy. He'll probably stay on the team afterwards as a defensemen, so it's good to have that sorted out. I also ran into my Orthopedist at the gym yesterday, which was unexpected, and he said that my knee should be strong enough with the brace to skate in about 10 days. Obviously skating and playing goalie are different, that's still encouraging.

I also rode the exercise bike without my knee brace yesterday. I had to keep the pace slow, since riding the bike is more about stretching out my leg than cardio at this point. It mostly went well, there were a couple times where I started going too fast and I got a jolt of pain, so I had to keep it at around 72RPM to ride it without causing problems. I'll probably try the elliptical with my brace again today and I'll just alternate daily between the two until I am ready to return to the ice. I'm keeping cardio down to around 10 minutes right now and hopefully I can start doing longer sessions as my knee gets stronger.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I'll put the video together later, its mostly of the other goalie who was having a rough night. He just got his first pair of modern pads and is trying to adjust to the different style they demand.

I got my correctly sized Warrior Ritual Custom Pros! My Ritual Pro's (the black and whites) are for sale 34+1.5" in the classifieds.

I bought them from Goalie Monkey since they actually had them in stock and I wanted them fast. Theres a few mods they did that I actually like better in the Ritual Pros.

1) Goalie Monkeys Rituals have nylon throughout the leg channel where the Ritual Pros use weave leather on the knee landing and on the opposing flap. I feel that helps them rotate slightly easier, I doubt its a major difference but its something.

2) Goalie Monkey's mods seem to have the calf landing slightly thinner than the Ritual Pros, i'm not sure if its different padding or what. Maybe it's to cut weight? It's not a huge difference but its there.

3) The knee elastic velcro only goes straight across on the GM Ritual where the Ritual Pro has the option like the P4 to take the knee block side of the elastic velcro strap and put it down into the calf area or straight across.

All that said it does seem like GM's Ritual Custom's seem a bit lighter for their size vs the Ritual Pro. Given the option I'd probably just go with what the stock Ritual Pros have.

I've noticed no noticeable differences in quality between the China made and the North American made product and to be honest if it weren't for the wait on both chosen customs or China Rituals I would have gone with 36+1.5" China rituals and had another $500 in my pocket to buy a new blocker. This is my impatience and nothing more, I cant wait to give them a shot. Let me know if you guys want me to check for differences between the Ritual Pro and the Ritual Custom and I'll take pictures/tell you anything you want to know as long as I still have them both. Remember the Ritual Pros are for sale!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man those Simmons still totally do it for me. Need to pick up a pair in the next few years.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Video from the night back with my 995's and as it turns out the other goalie was making a lot of good saves but I just didnt notice them as much on the other end. It's hard to see some of the standup saves from the opposite end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MSnnFDR50A

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Video from the night back with my 995's and as it turns out the other goalie was making a lot of good saves but I just didnt notice them as much on the other end. It's hard to see some of the standup saves from the opposite end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MSnnFDR50A

It's interesting to see an older style goalie adjusting to modern pads. I'm not really sure if single break Vaughn's* are the best fit for his style of play, but I can appreciate wanting to try out new technology and get pads that are completely different from your last set.

*They looked like 7990s, but I couldn't get a good view of the front of the pads.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

It's interesting to see an older style goalie adjusting to modern pads. I'm not really sure if single break Vaughn's* are the best fit for his style of play, but I can appreciate wanting to try out new technology and get pads that are completely different from your last set.

*They looked like 7990s, but I couldn't get a good view of the front of the pads.

He's an ex gopher who is friends with the current equipment manager. I think they're Kangases sr year pads or ones he was trying out (they're not too beat up) and the gloves are patersons either old game gloves or practice gloves.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

He's an ex gopher who is friends with the current equipment manager. I think they're Kangases sr year pads or ones he was trying out (they're not too beat up) and the gloves are patersons either old game gloves or practice gloves.

That's got be an awesome resource to have. How long ago did he play for the Gophers? I don't think I've ever played against an elite goalie, I know that Joey Walnuts played with Ty Conklin once, but when you get to guys who have played major college or above, then they must have a different feel for the game.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3954

He's tied for 5th for overall career wins for a gopher goalie

Its a bit different because they care a lot more and have a non boasting air about them. That's generally the players who have been there and don't need to prove anything to anyone. I fll in for some elite high school camps from time to time and some of the good goalies there can get really cocky. It's funny to watch them get frustrated come scrimmage or game time when I'm beating them. I've had some of the groups flat out say I was lying about not being an NHL prospect because I was on fire one day and I was wearing my Detroit edge practice jersey.

titanium fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 13, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3954

He's tied for 5th for overall career wins for a gopher goalie

Its a bit different because they care a lot more and have a non boasting air about them. That's generally the players who have been there and don't need to prove anything to anyone. I fll in for some elite high school camps from time to time and some of the good goalies there can get really cocky. It's funny to watch them get frustrated come scrimmage or game time when I'm beating them. I've had some of the groups flat out say I was lying about not being an NHL prospect because I was on fire one day and I was wearing my Detroit edge practice jersey.

That makes sense. Someone accusing you of lying about not being an NHL prospect is the ultimate complement. What was your level of experience again? I think you had mentioned that you played goalie in high school. Which school did you play for? I know way back in the day, my brother's had a friend who played for Osseo or Cooper and he was the goalie for the Norwegian olympic team, but that would have been during the early to mid 80s, so well before your time.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

That makes sense. Someone accusing you of lying about not being an NHL prospect is the ultimate complement. What was your level of experience again? I think you had mentioned that you played goalie in high school. Which school did you play for? I know way back in the day, my brother's had a friend who played for Osseo or Cooper and he was the goalie for the Norwegian olympic team, but that would have been during the early to mid 80s, so well before your time.

I just played for lowly Fridley high but I had Blaine, Centennial, Totino Grace trying to get me to attend. I didnt want to leave the friends I grew up with so I stuck around at Fridley (not a good hockey school). I managed to get All Conference my sr year in the conference with the State Champs and through youth I attended Warren Strelows camps were top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGzkgMllBw&feature=youtube_gdata

My first night out with the new Custom Pros, it seems I consistently play really well the first time out with any pads...if only I won the mega millions. The thighrises are so huge compared to anything else I've used before but surprisingly didnt get in the way much. I landed on my stick a couple times with my right bad but nothing dire. My mobility still seems solid and any slowness is due to me still floating around 200lbs from my Vegas trip buffetathon.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I just played for lowly Fridley high but I had Blaine, Centennial, Totino Grace trying to get me to attend. I didnt want to leave the friends I grew up with so I stuck around at Fridley (not a good hockey school). I managed to get All Conference my sr year in the conference with the State Champs and through youth I attended Warren Strelows camps were top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGzkgMllBw&feature=youtube_gdata

My first night out with the new Custom Pros, it seems I consistently play really well the first time out with any pads...if only I won the mega millions. The thighrises are so huge compared to anything else I've used before but surprisingly didnt get in the way much. I landed on my stick a couple times with my right bad but nothing dire. My mobility still seems solid and any slowness is due to me still floating around 200lbs from my Vegas trip buffetathon.

How are you liking the bigger pads? Did they fix the issues with your knee sliding out of the lock? Also, which ankle did you mess up? I could tell that your movement wasn't quite as crisp as usual, but playing heavier wouldn't help that. I need to drop weight too, but it's hard when I can't do my normal level of activity and I have a ton of dead time, since there aren't enough concerts and other things that I want to do to occupy my time I'd usually spend on the ice.

Fridley isn't too far from where I'm from. I lived in Brooklyn Park and Crystal before we moved out to California and then to Arizona. That's impressive to get All-Conference when you're not playing for a powerhouse school. Do you think you could have played college if you went to a bigger school or was that not something you wanted?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I can't imagine having to sit for weeks at a time. It's been five days since I last played, and I'm going insane for some reason. I think I'm just super anxious to get started on my two new teams.

Yesterday I headed up to pickup and was the fifth goalie there by about 15 seconds, meaning no pickup for me. :( I'm thinking about heading out again tonight (earlier this time!) even though I have games Sunday and Monday.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I can't imagine having to sit for weeks at a time. It's been five days since I last played, and I'm going insane for some reason. I think I'm just super anxious to get started on my two new teams.

Yesterday I headed up to pickup and was the fifth goalie there by about 15 seconds, meaning no pickup for me. :( I'm thinking about heading out again tonight (earlier this time!) even though I have games Sunday and Monday.

It's definitely aggravating. Between my concussion earlier this year and this, I've missed a ton of ice time this year. Before that I really hadn't had any major injuries, so hopefully the unfortunate streak I've had this year is the exception and not the rule.

I went to the hockey shop and looked at skates today. They don't have the new Graf's in yet, but I looked at the new Bauer Elite and Pro skates. They seem like they are mainly a cosmetic refresh of the One80s/One100s. Both skates were incredibly light and almost felt more like toys than skates. I'm curious to see if they fixed the durability issues with the cowlings. I didn't want to try walking around in them, but I did notice that my foot felt like it was angled more forward/sloping down than my skates, but I don't know if that is the skate or the stock footbeds, which I wouldn't use anyway.

I'm leaning towards getting new skates instead of replacing my cowlings, since the weight difference between my skates and newer ones is pretty significant and the cost difference between getting new skates and replacing the cowlings on my current one isn't huge. Also, wasn't there something about the different blade angle of the newer Bauer skates that is supposed to put less stress on your knees? I know that the new Graf will be similar. I'll probably get new skates at the goalie day and see if I can get a good discount and hopefully they'll have the new Graf's in so I can compare them to the Bauer skates.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 15, 2012

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

It figures that I take the most painful headshot I've ever taken during my Widowmaker's retirement tour while the Hackva is literally in the mail. I've taken harder shots that left my ears ringing, but I turned my head as this one hit me square in the jaw. I had to go to the bench and verify that my jaw still worked once the pain started to subside.

My jaw still feels a bit uncomfortable if I move it over to the left, but it's barely noticeable and will probably be gone tomorrow.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

It figures that I take the most painful headshot I've ever taken during my Widowmaker's retirement tour while the Hackva is literally in the mail. I've taken harder shots that left my ears ringing, but I turned my head as this one hit me square in the jaw. I had to go to the bench and verify that my jaw still worked once the pain started to subside.

My jaw still feels a bit uncomfortable if I move it over to the left, but it's barely noticeable and will probably be gone tomorrow.

It seems like the same shot is worse if you take it off center than dead on. You'll probably have a sore jaw and sore neck tomorrow. Delayed onset muscle soreness is your body's way of loving with you. At least your new mask is on the way, you'll be surprised how strong the shell on the Hackva is.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So today, I did something embarrassingly vain: I cut the suspender flap away from the outside of my pants, and sewed it onto the inside so that I, can tuck my jersey in. :smith:

Mind the red spots. I have gatorade troubles in my bag.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Or is hazed_red somehow involved?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's actually a really cool idea, Hazed_blue.

I've always wanted to tuck my jersey but I am a chronic suspender user.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

ManicJason posted:

Or is hazed_red somehow involved?
Hah! Funny enough though, I ran out of red the other week, and without thinking, the flavor that I purchased to replace it? Blue. This mostly came about due to me being a sloppy drinker and continuously staining the crest on my jersey. Seriously, I'm like a dog that drinks from his bowl, only to have half of said drink dribble down his chin as he walks around the kitchen, and then you step in it and get your socks wet, stupid dog...

Test pilot run with the flap sewn on the inside was a success. Looked good, played good :smugdog:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Subbed in tonight for my work team cause our regular goalie can't make it, and our normal sub is out injured.

Night didn't start out too well with a teammate breaking the back side of the case for the GoPro with a slapshot, and then things just got worse. Had two crazy bounces go in, and then I got beat twice by the same guy short side cause I tried to cheat as he pulled up on a breakaway to go across the crease. I need to learn to just keep hugging the post until he's committed to the slot area and I don't know how I can stop myself from it though.

Kind of settled down but after tying it up, I had 2 quick goals scored on me. One my fault and another through a screen after my D didn't pick a guy up and it just killed any momentum we had. Played decent for the last half of the game and didn't give up any more goals but it's odd how my rookie league team is better at coming back from being down than my work team.

Work has a lot more skill but it's almost like they don't give enough of a poo poo and goddamn is it frustrating. Also they're great at shooting right at the center of the net and into the other goalies stomach.

:negative:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

If it makes you feel better, I let in 11 last night and 10 tonight. I keep finding myself challenging way out of the crease on the angle and just watching pucks sail by both hands. I have no idea what's going on, but it's getting painful. I'm still keeping my hands out in front of me, not dropping them early, and following the puck all the way by into the net.

I keep reminding myself that I'm on the worst team in all three leagues and always see at least four times as many shots as the other goalie, but I still leave most games feeling like poo poo recently.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Sounds like a rough night. You can get replacement cases for your GoPro for $20, so those are easily replaceable. I've had issues with hugging the post. I seem to do the horrible thing coming out to challenge from the post, but not coming out far enough, they still have a gap between me and the post to shoot at and some guys are good at hitting that gap. Either hug the post and keep your arm physically wrapped around it or make sure that you are coming out far enough that you are actually cutting off the angle.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

If it makes you feel better, I let in 11 last night and 10 tonight. I keep finding myself challenging way out of the crease on the angle and just watching pucks sail by both hands. I have no idea what's going on, but it's getting painful. I'm still keeping my hands out in front of me, not dropping them early, and following the puck all the way by into the net.

I keep reminding myself that I'm on the worst team in all three leagues and always see at least four times as many shots as the other goalie, but I still leave most games feeling like poo poo recently.

It sounds like you are off angle. If you are out that far, it doesn't take much an adjustment to get on track. Just take half a step towards the side where they are beating you and you should be square with the puck. Also, are you getting beat on clear shots or are they shooting around or through your defense?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm all over the place. They're mostly clean shots. For a couple of weeks I was erring on the side of shuffling a bit too far and being beat across the grain. Tonight was both ways. I've noticed in warmups even that my hands just aren't connecting with my brain like they should be. I guess it's time to start bringing the tennis ball to the locker room before games again

I had a brand new experience tonight also: being screened by the ref. It was a clean shot from the top of the circle. For some reason the ref was in the slot and decided to jump across my field of view just as the player wound up for a slapshot. I picked it up as it came around the ref, got a piece of it with my glove, and of course it trickled through because every iffy shot has been going in for weeks now. I let the ref have it for a bit even though the goal made it 8-2.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
If that's the case, then maybe you should try not challenging as far. Still come out of the crease, but don't come out to the circles or anything super aggressive like that. You're probably trying to do to much and you're hitting a mental block where you are worrying about everything, but the puck. Are you seeing the shots clearly or do you kind of feel startled when they shoot? One of the teams I play behind pretty bad defense and there are times where I get so focused on looking for passing options or making sure that I'm in the right spot that I get caught totally off guard when they shoot, especially if it's a long shot from the top of the circles.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
When and from where do you come out to challenge shooters? I always stay with my back against the crossbar in the middle of the net until play crosses my blueline (unless they are on a huge breakaway from the redline or their blueline) and then come out to my angle there. I've had a guy who I respect a lot as a goalie tell me that I should be out on the edge of my crease all the time but I am not comfortable with it, and so far my angles seem to be pretty good using my current method, so why change it?

Or maybe your stance is too narrow and you are holding your hands too close to your body?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

aejix posted:

When and from where do you come out to challenge shooters? I always stay with my back against the crossbar in the middle of the net until play crosses my blueline (unless they are on a huge breakaway from the redline or their blueline) and then come out to my angle there. I've had a guy who I respect a lot as a goalie tell me that I should be out on the edge of my crease all the time but I am not comfortable with it, and so far my angles seem to be pretty good using my current method, so why change it?

These are style choices more than standards. If they're home free before the blue line I'll start drifting towards them, if theres a 2-0 I wont shoot out to the shooter as aggressively because he has lateral options. Do what you're comfortable with, if you find that to be an issue maybe try something else.

ManicJason posted:

I'm still keeping my hands out in front of me, not dropping them early, and following the puck all the way by into the net.

Are your hands out but not pointing towards the puck? It's easy to have good positioning but the incorrect wrist angles.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

titanium posted:

These are style choices more than standards. If they're home free before the blue line I'll start drifting towards them, if theres a 2-0 I wont shoot out to the shooter as aggressively because he has lateral options. Do what you're comfortable with, if you find that to be an issue maybe try something else.

Yeah it really depends on the speed they're coming in with, what kind of guys we've got back, what kind of options they have, the tendencies/skill of the shooter, your own relative skill - especially in regards to crease movement. There's no one way to play it, even by one goalie.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

aejix posted:

When and from where do you come out to challenge shooters? I always stay with my back against the crossbar in the middle of the net until play crosses my blueline (unless they are on a huge breakaway from the redline or their blueline) and then come out to my angle there.

I always stand with my back against the crossbar until play crosses center ice. I always tap the knob of my stick against the cross bar to double-check my depth before stepping out. If it's a breakaway, I then make two strong pushes out and cut to a stop. I'm very consistent with how I come out to challenge, and it's always straight to the puck.

It really just seems like a mental disconnect between my hands and my brain. I'm wondering if it has to do with being on Zyrtec (allergy medicine) constantly for the past month. It's about the time of year I can discontinue it, but I'm also trying so many things to fix the problems that I can't be sure what the solution is if I ever get there. (Old habits I'm getting back into to help are mental focus things: never allowing conscious thoughts while I'm facing play, only allowing mental critique when I'm turned away and drinking water, always thinking something positive like "stay aggressive" or "active hands" or "explosive pushes" last thing before turning back toward play after a stoppage.)

It's so frustrating because my butterfly work, slides, and reading of the play have been super strong recently. I'm making tons of saves on cross-crease plays and feel basically invulnerable to shots on or near the ice. Other teams have learned pretty quickly to stay upstairs on me, as if they wouldn't already against a 5' 7" prolly goalie.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
This may be one of my best videos yet. I'm really falling in love with these pads, I decided to put the camera in net again to see how my footwork is in the new pillows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFFM6QmYPI

Needless to say they're working out fantastic and I'm feeling very confident in them. Still a little bit of adjusting to do it's harder for me to scramble out of very compromising positions compared to my really flexable 995's but they make up for it in other ways.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Wait, wait. Is that calf wedge/wrap thing part of the pad? 'Splain!

Ah haha, that is a positively glorious glove save at 1:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

This may be one of my best videos yet. I'm really falling in love with these pads, I decided to put the camera in net again to see how my footwork is in the new pillows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFFM6QmYPI

Needless to say they're working out fantastic and I'm feeling very confident in them. Still a little bit of adjusting to do it's harder for me to scramble out of very compromising positions compared to my really flexable 995's but they make up for it in other ways.

I take it you've adapted to the pads. That save at 1:55 may be the best one you've posted. I'm normally pissed at my myself when pulling off a desperation save, but that one was so good you just had to revel in it. It seemed like your slides going from left to right were especially strong tonight. Are you getting used to the bigger thigh rises? They'll feel weird at first, but they can definitely bail you out from time to time.

• Locked thread