Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

jimmy boag posted:

Here's my first attempt a a Doom map.

I tried to balance it for Brutal Doom, but it should be fine without it. I haven't added difficulty levels yet, so it's UV only ATM. Is it too hard/easy/boring/whatever?
Had a try of this with Vanilla Doom II and have a few things of note:

- I'm not a fan of dark rooms at all (though this is obviously my own preference), so I'm glad you restrained it to just the area where you pick up the Super Shotgun; I was expecting a lovely gently caress you trap upon picking it up but was pleasently surprised to see there wasn't one. :)

- The area where you battle the Hell Knights/Baron/Reenants was pretty brutal on first playthrough, especially the Baron's placement. Having him hid behind a wall right next to a chaingunner was what ended my first playthrough, due to having little health and having to rush the hitscan enemy only to get ambushed by the guy behind me. Felt like a cheap death, but in subsequent playthroughs I found a great way to deal with the entire area - by letting everything come out and then getting the gently caress out of there into the secret area with the megasphere and rocket launcher to let them in-fight. If that was a deliberate thing then kudos, it was a fun strategy to figure out and try to optimise.

- Sticking to cheapness, the Mancubus' placement also felt cheap on my first playthrough; it's not fun fighting those guys with just your shotgun/super shotgun over long distance. :saddowns: Of course, I found the hidden chaingun on my second or third playthrough which made it better. It's a well-placed secret that rewards attentive players (i.e. anybody but me) so good job with that!

- I like to play without freelook so I didn't find the secret in the area with the red key until a later playthrough, when I shot the wall behind the imp on accident; even then, because I killed it I couldn't auto-aim to shoot up a second time! I'd suggest moving the imp down to be on level with the player and putting him behind a cage texture or something to keep him in place; you could even have two extra imps in their own cages besides the first one, and have the other two cages' walls have a different back texture to clue me in that the original cage has something up with it? Just thinking of some ideas off the top of my head here though. The subsequent secret, and the additional secrets after that one, works well however and I like how they wrap around back to the start of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm working on a second map and I'm gonna go back and tweak the first one some more :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Redneck Rampage is on sale at GOG.com, is it worth the $2.99? Also, I picked up blood a while back and it's not very playable out of the box, is there a modern control scheme (freelook/WASD) and graphics update for that (akin to what's available for Doom?)

Unlike Doom and Duke3d, the source code for Blood was never released, so all modernization has to be done with reverse engineering and guesswork. There's a guy working on a new engine for it (BloodXL) but it's not really playable yet and he's mostly focused on Dark Forces support at the moment.

That said, I played it with One Unit Whole Mods installed, which also automatically set up mouselook and whatnot, and it was fine.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there any kind of Doom editor for Mac? Worst comes to worst, I can jump into wine, I'm sure, but I would love something native.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Fren posted:

Is there any kind of Doom editor for Mac? Worst comes to worst, I can jump into wine, I'm sure, but I would love something native.
Believe it or not, no. Looking at Doomworld's Utilities page there has only ever been two editors designed to run natively on a Mac, neither have been updated for years and supposedly barely work on modern systems, and one of them isn't even free.

However, there's a fairly old one called Yadex which is for linux that can be made to run on OS X, but I can't help you with that. And without a 3D mode, it might be a pain in the rear end to use.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was looking at stuff about the Goldeneye Doom WAD and I have to wonder if anyone's ever tried doing a source port of the N64 game like with Doom 64. I know Goldeneye Source is good, but I'd love to play the original online complete with chairs exploding when shot :black101:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

I was looking at stuff about the Goldeneye Doom WAD and I have to wonder if anyone's ever tried doing a source port of the N64 game like with Doom 64. I know Goldeneye Source is good, but I'd love to play the original online complete with chairs exploding when shot :black101:
Nope. There was an official XBLA port in the works that would have had online multiplayer, but it kind of got caught up in a legal hell.

The Perfect Dark port that resulted has like eight of the Goldeneye weapons and three of the maps for near-enough-is-close-enough online play.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Speaking of Goldeneye Doom, the standalone version you can get from here looks good but it seems to have no sound, does anyone know how to fix it?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I would kill for that Goldeneye64 release for XBLA (even for PC using a 360 pad) so i could play mp without needing to use a N64 emulator :smith:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Kins posted:

Nope. There was an official XBLA port in the works that would have had online multiplayer, but it kind of got caught up in a legal hell.

The Perfect Dark port that resulted has like eight of the Goldeneye weapons and three of the maps for near-enough-is-close-enough online play.

I don't know if this is true or not, but apparently MGM and Activision (the company that currently holds the rights to James Bond games) were fine with it being released, but Nintendo still had some rights to it as well and did not want the game to be released.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

So I've decided to give Doom mapping a try, and holy gently caress this is addicting. I wish I had more time to put into a map idea I've been playing around all day, but for now I'm just dropping some screenshots. What do you guys think?

3D screenshot
Overhead view
In-game shot

It's only a room so far, but once I get some time (probably this weekend) I'm gonna try tackle the next area I've planned, which is large and open.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

an_mutt posted:

So I've decided to give Doom mapping a try, and holy gently caress this is addicting. I wish I had more time to put into a map idea I've been playing around all day, but for now I'm just dropping some screenshots. What do you guys think?

3D screenshot
Overhead view
In-game shot

It's only a room so far, but once I get some time [probably this weekend] I'm gonna try tackle the next area I've planned, which is large and open.

Yeah see its really not hard. The only thing I'd say is that the area looks pretty tight. You could do with expanding it sideways a bit.

Dooms pretty lax in level design requirements.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Count me in as being a new mapper as well, trying to get the hang of Doom Builder 2, but it's obvious it's way deeper than it first appears, just trying to make a door gave me trouble for a good half hour, unless there's some prefab ones I could of used.

So far I just have a hallway with a side room with some enemies, just testing the waters as far as other stuff goes, once I'm sure I can create the basic pieces without trouble (doors, elevators, teleporters, etc) I'll start working on an actual map.

Is there a good set of instructional videos out there?
It wasn't until I saw one on doors that it clicked what I was doing wrong.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I would kill for that Goldeneye64 release for XBLA (even for PC using a 360 pad) so i could play mp without needing to use a N64 emulator :smith:

Screw that, I want a PC port/engine-remake/whatever of Perfect Dark.

DUAL CYCLONES FOREVEEEEEER :rock:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Doom mapping was really loving easy back when the game was new, it was just a matter of trying to create something novel with the limited toolbox you had. It's probably more complex now that maps can be actual 3D.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As I said, here are the THREE maps that were posted for the previous GOON WAD.

Suicides and Abattoir Blues by me, and Fear of the Dark by somebody else...I didn't make a note on the author, but I bet he still pops in on this thread.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Screw that, I want a PC port/engine-remake/whatever of Perfect Dark.

DUAL CYCLONES FOREVEEEEEER :rock:
There was a Perfect Dark: Source in the works but development seems to have stopped. :(

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
New gameplay video for Brutal Doom 0.16 is out. My player sounds are in and apart from sounding a little distorted (which might be Youtube's fault, not sure) I think it's pretty awesome. Needs a little more fine tuning, but awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17T6RgAtew

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well I sure hope I didn't hear every single taunt in the span of that video. Seems like that would get annoying

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Pretty sure there's at least double that amount, but yeah, I did suggest he maybe lower the frequency of taunts. They happen almost a mile a minute.

EDIT: Oh, wait, read the comments on the video and apparently there's just a taunt button so you can hear as many or as few as you want.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 17, 2012

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Those taunts are pretty good overall, but the way your voice pitches on some lines (specifically the classic "gently caress yourself" and pancreas lines) makes you sound like a freshly budding 13 year old with a pitch filter. The knock knock joke and choo choo lines were hilarious, as were most of the others.

Still, brutal doom is turning Doom Guy into the Duke Nukem everybody wanted Duke Nukem to be.

treat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 17, 2012

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I dig the prowess; the capacity for violence (by your voicework)! That said, I would love it if .16 came with voice options so everyone can pick and choose whether they want fewer taunts/Danny Glover mode/no voices at all. (edit: I am a stupid, stupid imp who can't read the youtube comments; there will be said options!)

Still on the fence about the former human voices, though. They remind me a bit of the Z-sec from Doom 3, except without the creepy unintelligible monster-babble that I love.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are those high-res textures part of 016, or are they their own separate thing?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Stuntman posted:

Hoping separate, I can't stand reworkings of those beautiful pixelated textures.

Otherwise Chinese Tony Danza's voice work is awesome, I love the pitch slide in the 'gently caress yourself!' sounds like someone who's really enjoying their work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuntman posted:

I'm almost positive the level textures are separate from Brutal Doom. Obviously the new weapon and enemy sprites are part of the mod, though.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Stuntman posted:

As Sergetant Mk IV mentions in the description:

quote:

Disclaimer:
1) Neither the Hi-Res textures or the levels will be included in the wad. They are separated modules. You can download the Hi-Res Textures anywhere (just type "HD Textures for Zdoom Download" in Google to find 'em). The map pack is a (still) unreleased revamp of Ultimate Doom maps made by me to add more detail to levels, and Doom 2 and Skulltag monsters and weapons. I will upload these maps soon as I get at least the entire Episode 1 done.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The guy who write ZDL has risen from the dead and released a beta build of qZDL, an updated rewrite in C++ and Qt so that it can also be used on OS X and Linux as well as Windows. So you Mac guys now have a cool launcher program and don't have to muck around with Terminal any more.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As I said, here are the THREE maps that were posted for the previous GOON WAD.

Suicides and Abattoir Blues by me, and Fear of the Dark by somebody else...I didn't make a note on the author, but I bet he still pops in on this thread.

Cool. I've been messing with Doom Builder at work and will try to come up with a map.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Love the voice work, the Doom comic lines are great to hear in game. I do think you should re-work "gently caress yourself" though, I really like the emphasis in the original.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DiscoMouse posted:

Love the voice work, the Doom comic lines are great to hear in game. I do think you should re-work "gently caress yourself" though, I really like the emphasis in the original.

Yeah, less pitch on the end of it, more emphasis on the hard F at the start. Same deal with the 'Is that a pancreas?' line.

Beyond that? Keep it up.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DiscoMouse posted:

Its a hard task to make us forget Danny Glover.

The video is nice overall and i like that the taunting is through buttons. The only thing i don't like is the zombies screaming even after you rip them to pieces. It plays the sound on its full duration and that can get a bit noisy if you kill a bunch of them too fast.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

The guy who write ZDL has risen from the dead and released a beta build of qZDL, an updated rewrite in C++ and Qt so that it can also be used on OS X and Linux as well as Windows. So you Mac guys now have a cool launcher program and don't have to muck around with Terminal any more.

Is there a Mac build already? I'm not seeing a download link.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The voices sound great, you got a perfect mix between sounding badass and sounding like a crazy motherfucker that the Doomguy in the Comics is.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

Its a hard task to make us forget Danny Glover.

The video is nice overall and i like that the taunting is through buttons. The only thing i don't like is the zombies screaming even after you rip them to pieces. It plays the sound on its full duration and that can get a bit noisy if you kill a bunch of them too fast.

It sounds like a crowd cheering, to me. In fact, between that and the constant taunting, the promo video sounded like some bizarre Smash TV/Doom crossover.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RyokoTK posted:

like some bizarre Smash TV/Doom crossover.

That sounds fun as hell. Big money! Big Prizes! I love it! I'd buy that for a dollar.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That sounds fun as hell. Big money! Big Prizes! I love it! I'd buy that for a dollar.

Sort of reminds me of the Kins' Reelism.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fren posted:

Is there a Mac build already? I'm not seeing a download link.
I asked the author, he doesn't have a Mac to compile on. One of the ZDoom devs might help with this in the near future, but for now you need to self-compile :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A First Person Shooter SMASH TV? Why hasn't anyone done this?! That would be awesome to play!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sort of reminds me of the Kins' Reelism.

I should really check this out one of these days. How long until that new version is out? Also, is it gonna be too hard for someone who gets his rear end kicked by Doom 1/2 on ultraviolent?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The Pokemon Doom wad is certainly a surreal, confusing monster of a mod. But Brutal Pokemon Doom? The things I've seen...

When you've experienced a poorly drawn-and-animated Totodile sprite suddenly incinerating your entire team, with you cowering inside the Pokemon hospital while their still-screaming bodies writhe in incandescent agony like living torches, and hear that abomination laugh in it's horrific, gravely, lifted-directly-from-the-cartoon-with-music-still-in-the-background voice, then maybe I can talk about the horrors I've witnessed.

/edit: Also running through the insides of a cruise liner as a group, bursting into cabins to systematically gun down unaware pokemon still in their beds and having the dawning realization that you're literally turning into a no-hostages boat hijacker

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Oh god that was hilarious. Brutal doom made that so much better. The best part was that marine hostage in the beginning who got bumped into by pokemon until he died.