Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I tried Unchained Reactions but I had a really hard time getting into it. Maybe if the guy that Adam and Jamie has supervising had more of a personality, or if Adam and Jamie were each leading a team, but as is it just seems really dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Taerkar posted:

I wonder just how long that outrider could have stayed afloat.

I would actually venture to say maybe up to a week. In the after show stuff on discovery.com Adam said that his water jug only started leaking around day 4 and it was just a trickle and that he made that in an uncomfortable, odd fashion and not using tables and jigs like they did with their canoe. I think after 3-4 days it would start taking on water but likely very slowly and so I think they probably could push it maybe 5-7 or so days before the water just became too much for the duct tape to handle.

The after show on this one was really good(and they didn't sleep out at night, they stayed at what was probably a 3 or 4 star resort that was located right behind where they were filming). Definitely worth a watch.

ToastyPotato posted:

I was under the impression that the show was now permanently moved to Sunday night, which aside from the big Earth specials, usually doesn't have much right? I mean they had Storm Chasers for a while, but then that got moved I think?

My understanding that I had posted a page or so back was that yes, this is a permanent move. I believe Adam said as much in a recent interview.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

New River Monsters season starts tonight at 9 hosted by Jeremy Wade who continues to be the best person ever.

Animal Planet is also showing commercials for a new season of a Whale Wars... spinoff?... as everyone's favorite seatards continue to flail about against Japanese fishermen.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hazo posted:

Animal Planet is also showing commercials for a new season of a Whale Wars... spinoff?... as everyone's favorite seatards continue to flail about against Japanese fishermen.

Can't wait for this. There can't be enough incompetent hippies at sea on television.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hazo posted:

New River Monsters season starts tonight at 9 hosted by Jeremy Wade who continues to be the best person ever.

Jeremy Wade spending a segment noodling is infinitely more interesting than Hillbilly Handfishing or Mudcats.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

My main thought about Unchained Reactions - Adam sounds completely different as a voiceover actor. Plus the show isn't that great. Catch it, keep it was better, although it suffered from the same "fake drama" crap.

New season of Deadliest Catch starts on Tuesday. I think there's a separate thread for it. Looks like te Harris boys are back, not sure about FV-Cornelia Marie though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I did the Deadliest Catch thread for last season, if someone wants to dredge it up or do a new one.

I'm not sure there's enough interest for it to have its own thread though.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

Looks like te Harris boys are back, not sure about FV-Cornelia Marie though.

Looks like the Cornelia Marie isn't going to be featured at all this season but the Harris brothers are each working as deck hands on different boats.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

smg77 posted:

Looks like the Cornelia Marie isn't going to be featured at all this season but the Harris brothers are each working as deck hands on different boats.
If I remember correctly, after the shitfest that went on between the first full-time captain after the death of Phil Harris and the Harris boys, the other owner of the Cornelia Marie said she'd never allow the boat to be on another season of the show.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
According to Mythbusters, an Audi R8 has the same tech as a 2002 Audi A6. :pseudo:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I never watched Deadliest Catch but I've been powering through reruns from various seasons as Discovery builds up for tomorrow night. I don't even know why it's interesting as it's basically the same poo poo every episode with some exceptions, maybe because my old roommate was a deckhand and died on the Bering Sea.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Deadliest Catch was interesting to me because I loved the family dynamics on the Cornelia Marie and the Northwestern. Sig and Phil were two sides to the same coin. These guys were real life characters and, at least through most of the early seasons it just showed up very well.

Now that Phil's gone that dynamic changed a lot and I find it harder to watch the show. He's why I got into it and, oddly enough, will probably be the reason I quit watching it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I couldn't really explain why I like the show either. It's really an interesting group of dudes I guess. I'll miss Phil too, but I really hope this season puts the brakes on all the drama with his sons; I'm very tired of it.

Also the Time Bandit dudes loving around, that's a good reason to like the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
DC was always a show I would watch late at night as I got ready to drift off to sleep. I can't really imagine watching it when I am wide awake in the middle of the day. It also helped that the first two seasons that I watched were DVR'd and stockpiled, so I was able to watch like two episodes a night some times.

I think I like it, compared to other similar shows, because it doesn't beat you over the head with, well, anything really. It isn't constantly making you think someone is about to die, and there are plenty of lulls in an episode where people are just grinding through the work, unlike other shows where there is ALWAYS SOMETHING HAPPENING OH GOD SO DANGEROUS AND/OR INTERESTING!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

DC was always a show I would watch late at night as I got ready to drift off to sleep.

The gentle tones of Mike Rowe are certainly a good way to get to sleep. I use Dirty Jobs for that though.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Looks like a lot of gambling on blue crab this season since their quotas were neutered so badly.

I can't wait to see what the Time Bandit comes up with in retaliation to the North Western's prank.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

The gentle tones of Mike Rowe are certainly a good way to get to sleep. I use Dirty Jobs for that though.

Dirty Jobs is a bit too energetic sometimes, but yeah I usually watch that late too.

It is so weird seeing the CM crew scattered across the fleet now :smith:. Also looks like more drama coming to the Wizard, unless that was clever editing in the prologue.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I never had a chance to become attached to Phil but I have mass respect for Sig on the Northwestern, he balances safety and hard work while bringing in his quotas. Also the Hilstrands seem like they would be fun employers. If I were crazy enough to be a crabber, I would want to work for those guys. Keith on the Wizard is a good captain but his wild mood swings would be tough to deal with. The newish guy, Jr. on the Seabrooke gives a good impression.

My roommate deckhand was always trying to get me to go out with them but I would have started as a processor below deck and after running the financials, it wouldn't have been anymore money than I was already making averaged over a year. Speaking of which, he must have worked on a different kind of crab boat because they processed and froze the crabs right on the boat. It wasn't an independent boat like those featured on DC but was owned by a big seafood company but I can't remember which one. Apparently he died the year after I moved out, got his foot tangled in a line and was pulled overboard, they never found his body.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm watching last week's episode of Mythbusters and its weird seeing Tory with a beard. It makes him actually look his age.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

BigHead posted:

Thoughts on Adam and Jamie's new show, Unchained Reactions?

I like it. I love seeing people work with a huge sandbox of random stuff and making a Goldberg style contraption. There's no frills in the production, but I think the whole thing would seem too staged if there were, maybe?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

wormil posted:

I never had a chance to become attached to Phil but I have mass respect for Sig on the Northwestern, he balances safety and hard work while bringing in his quotas. Also the Hilstrands seem like they would be fun employers. If I were crazy enough to be a crabber, I would want to work for those guys. Keith on the Wizard is a good captain but his wild mood swings would be tough to deal with. The newish guy, Jr. on the Seabrooke gives a good impression.

Man, Keith is the captain I'd stay far far away from. That dude will get someone killed and no mistake.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm watching last week's episode of Mythbusters and its weird seeing Tory with a beard. It makes him actually look his age.
I was wondering whether he hit a midlife crisis, or if his wife left him or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Isn't Grant actually older than Tory?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Isn't Grant actually older than Tory?

I thought they were both Adam's age, roughly? Like both 40+.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought they were both Adam's age, roughly? Like both 40+.

Grant and Tory are the same age apparently (42), Adam is 45. Jamie is apparently 55.

Funny thing is, I remember Grant from Battlebots before they put him on the show. His robot was great and he won a season or two in his category.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Deadblow! :black101: We haven't seen him show up on Mythbusters for a while, I think the last time Deadblow showed up was when Jessi was temping for Kari.

Jamie and Adam made an appearance on Battlebots once too, IIRC.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I often wonder why battlebots hasn't made a comeback.

Then I remember that you would have to make all the contestants live in a house together and manufacture drama, instead of just having their robots wail on one another to get any ratings anymore.

:smith:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

DrPain posted:

Then I remember that you would have to make all the contestants live in a house together and manufacture drama, instead of just having their robots wail on one another to get any ratings anymore.

They could revamp it by putting a bunch of bunnies or feral pigs in the arena with the bots. Spice it up a bit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrPain posted:

Once everyone started trying to actually win and stopped trying to make bizarre/crazy/fun robots it was boring. It's a lot of time and money to put into something that you can lose in about 2 minutes though so I can kind of understand just making a wedge bot built like a tank. It's just not very interesting.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

kefkafloyd posted:

Jamie and Adam made an appearance on Battlebots once too, IIRC.

Jamie's robot Blendo is one of the only battlebots that was deemed too dangerous to compete, I believe.

EDIT: It was Robot Wars and it was asked to withdraw twice in exchange for co-champion status.

quote:

It first competed in the second Robot Wars competition in San Francisco (1995). After two fights (against robots Namreko and DoMore) it was deemed too hazardous to compete by the event supervisors and the insurance company after throwing pieces of its opponents over the arena walls. It was given co-champion status in exchange for withdrawing from the competition.[2] Blendo returned in the fourth Robot Wars competition in San Francisco (1997), after the height of the arena walls had been increased to prevent debris from reaching the audience. In this competition, Blendo again fought two robots (Hercules and Punjar), and quickly defeated both. After causing damage to the arena walls in both matches Blendo was again asked to withdraw in exchange for co-champion status.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 17, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Blendo did appear in BattleBots as well.

quote:

Blendo would later compete in a total of four BattleBots competitions. However, Blendo had little success in BattleBots. A combination of a stronger arena design capable of containing the energy Blendo released, stronger robots able to take multiple hits from Blendo, multiple copycat designs, and Blendo's own tendency to tear itself apart caused it to be defeated in its first match in all four BattleBots events in which it competed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Here is a home video of Blendo, with Jamie looking exactly the same as he does now in 1995. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J8N3lXmEw0

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

FogHelmut posted:

Here is a home video of Blendo, with Jamie looking exactly the same as he does now in 1995. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J8N3lXmEw0

He really does look the same- one of those people who never seems to age.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

kefkafloyd posted:

Blendo did appear in BattleBots as well.

Yeah, I just meant that the contests it was withdrawn from were Robot Wars, not BattleBots.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TL posted:

...or if Adam and Jamie were each leading a team, but as is it just seems really dull.

I was actually discussing this with a friend. We felt that this was either an attempt to keep our focus on the teams themselves, or that the show wasn't really designed with them in mind in the first place.

I kind of feel like someone saw some Rube Goldberg videos on Youtube, pitched a show to their boss, and then thought "hey, we should get the Mythbusters in on this." It just seemed like an attempt by Discovery to give the series some credibility.

Most of the Discovery heavy-hitters (Mythbusters, the guys on Deadliest Catch, Bear Grylls, Mike Rowe) have been in negotiations with Discovery to provide the network with additional programming. This is part of the reason that Grylls was canned, because he refused to do so.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah, I just meant that the contests it was withdrawn from were Robot Wars, not BattleBots.

Ah, okay.

quote:

Once everyone started trying to actually win and stopped trying to make bizarre/crazy/fun robots it was boring. It's a lot of time and money to put into something that you can lose in about 2 minutes though so I can kind of understand just making a wedge bot built like a tank. It's just not very interesting.

Yeah, sumo tanks really isn't the spirit of BattleBots.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
So the build team in mythbusters had to modify their barrel to get it to push stuff, I wonder what it would've looked like had they used this method.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ab1_1334253751

Looks like they just heat the top since I can't see any holes there.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IRQ posted:

This. I got bored of Battlebots pretty quickly because it was just differently-sized wedges running into each other over and over, all the cool crazy robots got weeded out too quickly.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Farbtoner posted:

This. I got bored of Battlebots pretty quickly because it was just differently-sized wedges running into each other over and over, all the cool crazy robots got weeded out too quickly.

There was that one spinning wire-frame pyramid bot with the hammers that seemed to dominate for two or three seasons. God I loved that one.

Then there was Biohazard, which was drat near undefeated due to the unprecedented innovation of a self-righting mechanism (that every last bot on Robot Wars had, but whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Farbtoner posted:

If a new Battlebots could have bots like these, I think it could be awesome again.

• Locked thread