Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Popelmon posted:

(like when both of them didn't know who David Gordon Green was when they were talking about Your Highness and they just assumed he was some lovely new director that never did anything worth watching. Using IMDB is really hard!)

I don't get outraged over things comics say on podcasts, but that would have driven me bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't get outraged over things comics say on podcasts, but that would have driven me bonkers.

Oh I said "What the gently caress?". Out loud. On a bus. In Germany.

People were looking at me.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

SlippyFists posted:

I posted this a while back in a different thread, but I think these guys really deserves more listeners. The podcast is called Illusionoid, and they're 20 minute whose line-like shows done off the top of their head. I'd recommend the "space court" episode first for new listeners of the show.

http://www.illusionoid.com/page/4/

Ooh, I like this, maybe even more than SuperEgo.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is there no standard at all for volume levels? It seems a little strange that there is so much variance.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Bob Katz suggests, for broadcast (voices I'm assuming), -12 dBFS RMS. But no, there is no standard besides "don't clip" which has (almost) nothing to do with volume.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
I hope you're all loving with The Champs... I loved the Jose Canseco episode.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

NotWearingPants posted:

Have you tried "We Hate Movies" or "The Flophouse" yet? They're pretty much the same concept but both are consistently better than "How Did This Get Made?" despite having less famous hosts.

Speaking of which... Does anyone listen to "Comedy Film Nerds" and if so, how does it compare to the three I just mentioned?

This week's Flophouse ("The Three Musketeers (2011)") is an excellent entry point -- maybe better than last week's ("In Time"), which was hilarious.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

No Ticket posted:

I hope you're all loving with The Champs... I loved the Jose Canseco episode.

It was great. Neal and Moshe were firing questions machine gun style at him to the point I thought he was gonna get frustrated and be like "yo let me finish a loving thought before you get in with 6 follow-ups." I agreed with them that he seems a lot more rational and smart than his twitter account would lead you to believe.

The one with Hannibal Burress is probably the perfect starter episode to get a feel for all the hosts and how funny they are - this last one was more interesting than funny.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

indigi posted:

It was great. Neal and Moshe were firing questions machine gun style at him to the point I thought he was gonna get frustrated and be like "yo let me finish a loving thought before you get in with 6 follow-ups." I agreed with them that he seems a lot more rational and smart than his twitter account would lead you to believe.

Agreed on all counts, although I wish I wasn't so put off by the soundboard.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

NotWearingPants posted:

Have you tried "We Hate Movies" or "The Flophouse" yet? They're pretty much the same concept but both are consistently better than "How Did This Get Made?" despite having less famous hosts.

I'll give those a shot. It's just disappointing because there was ripe material there, but they had to deal with the idiocy of the guests. At the end, Jason went on a whole thing about Pluto Nash wearing a rented tux and bad guy Eddie Murphy wearing the same one for no reason that was really funny and compelling. What a shame, hopefully they get back to good guests soon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, the Flophouse is especially good on a film nerd level and with regard to sudden improv. If you like hosts going off on insane comedic tangents then this is the bad movie podcast for you.

I just tried my first episode of "We Hate Movies" the other night, liked it well enough to give them a more thorough trial, and then found out that they don't have most of their episodes available for download from their site. Their RSS feed which seems to be the only way to download episodes on their site only goes back twenty episodes. They're yet another podcaster who are really bad at the distribution side of things. :sigh:

The Modern Leper posted:

This week's Flophouse ("The Three Musketeers (2011)") is an excellent entry point -- maybe better than last week's ("In Time"), which was hilarious.

I thought "In Time" was a better episode but when a movie makes as little sense as that one did there's a lot to work with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you're holding back on We Hate Movies, the last two episodes have been amazing.

Someone should make that movie podcast megathread, there's enough to cover for a general topic thread.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I think WHM is funnier than HDTGM but I really like their episodes with guests that were involved in the making of the movie. Just listened to the Ounisher Warzone episode earlier and it was really interesting.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
That was a good episode. It really depends on the guests. The episode about I Know Who Killed Me was one of my favorites. They just need comedians who can make good bits about weird things instead of just going "Lol I didn't understand this so random." I listened to the flophouse and will check WHM.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That episode was with Ken Marino, right?
I loved that one and it really made me want to watch that movie. The summary of the movie was some where between "weird in a good way" and "absolutely batshit insane" but apparently it was still bad despite having those two "qualities".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Anyone else still listen to Aisha Tyler? I liked her from the very start when she had comedians on but everyone's been a musician or a low-rate actor lately and I haven't felt interested in listening.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

The interviews are fine, it's the bullshit on either side that kills me. And I listen to Maron's entire podcast.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AltronHGX posted:

Anyone else still listen to Aisha Tyler? I liked her from the very start when she had comedians on but everyone's been a musician or a low-rate actor lately and I haven't felt interested in listening.

The past couple months she's had a few bad guests but then again she had Pardo, Gould and Proops which as always were great. Gary Anthony Williams was surprisingly good to considering I couldn't remember who he was until she gave his credits.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CommunistMojo posted:

The past couple months she's had a few bad guests but then again she had Pardo, Gould and Proops which as always were great
Thanks for the tip.
Somebody needs to set up something like TrackPFT for every guest.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Never Not Funny listeners (I think subscription only), how uncomfortable was Pardo's dig on Elliott during the 300th Episode?

(discussing the NNF death curse): "Maybe death will hit close to the show?"
"It already did... that's why we're saddled with you"

I'm always hypersensitive for those types of things (e.g., afraid people will talk over the "AK47... gone, not forgotten" closing), but that was a gut shot regardless. Thank god Mike Schmidt was in . . . I don't think any else there could have even attempted to recover.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Never Not Funny listeners (I think subscription only), how uncomfortable was Pardo's dig on Elliott during the 300th Episode?

(discussing the NNF death curse): "Maybe death will hit close to the show?"
"It already did... that's why we're saddled with you"

I'm always hypersensitive for those types of things (e.g., afraid people will talk over the "AK47... gone, not forgotten" closing), but that was a gut shot regardless. Thank god Mike Schmidt was in . . . I don't think any else there could have even attempted to recover.

I didn't think it was uncomfortable, per se, and he and Danielle have made lighthearted comments about it in the past, but it was kind of a "woah, did he just do that?" moment. When you consider Elliott's setup, though, if Pardo hadn't said anything it would have been 1000 times more uncomfortable since everyone would think of Andrew but would be afraid to say anything in front of Jimmy. It was necessary in a weird way.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah, I felt like if Jimmy DIDN'T joke about it, that woulda been uncomfortable. I thought it was hilarious that he went there. To be honest I think it's a little weird that you're so much more precious about Andrew's death than his sister and brother-in-law.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

indigi posted:

Yeah, I felt like if Jimmy DIDN'T joke about it, that woulda been uncomfortable. I thought it was hilarious that he went there. To be honest I think it's a little weird that you're so much more precious about Andrew's death than his sister and brother-in-law.

I admitted it upfront... chalk it up to personal sensitivities. I don't get up in arms about race/rape/drug/fart jokes - I guess that's just my "thing."

EDIT: AV Club calls it "poignant," so it's on me I guess.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 14, 2012

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I did not put it together that Julie Klausner's interview with John Hendren on this week's How Was Your Week was an interview with John "if you see a Palpy post quote it and change his name to Poopy Palpy" Hendren until she mentioned at the very end that he's Vice President of Something Awful.

docevil :arghfist::mad:

mons al-madeen
Jun 20, 2001

you will experience beer.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I did not put it together that Julie Klausner's interview with John Hendren on this week's How Was Your Week was an interview with John "if you see a Palpy post quote it and change his name to Poopy Palpy" Hendren until she mentioned at the very end that he's Vice President of Something Awful.

docevil :arghfist::mad:

Poopy Palpy

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

brutal...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I've looked though the last few pages and not seen a mention, but has anyone discussed Pappy's yet?

Pappy's are a 3 person sketch comedy group who tour with their own show, and also do two podcasts:

Flatshare Slamdown is a comedy panel show where two teams 9team captain & celebrity guest) compete to not have to do a household chore, with the quiz themed around that chore. It's a fun 45 minutes which gets a bit chaotic & is probably in dire need of an edit, but the banter between the teams is fun.

Pappy's Bangers and Mash is a conversation podcast that turns into a sketch podcast. The 3 members of pappy's sit down and have a 40 minute chat about any old nonsense, and then write sketches based on the conversation and insert them into the conversation at various points. It's uneven, but a cheerful enough way to spend 3/4 of an hour.

Flatshare Slamdown is a British Comedy Guide podcast, and if you get the chance, they have many more very good shows. I'm certain that As It Occurs To Me and Collings And Herrin must have been mentioned by now.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

quadrophrenic posted:

Yeah, I've given Totally Laime a good 6 or 7 chances, but it's just obnoxious. There are a few episodes that are worthwhile because they get awesome guests for some reason (the Patton Oswalt episode is good, PFT is always great, and the Erin Gibson episode is pretty crazy) but she's just so precious and annoying.

Yeah, I took them off my podcatcher a month or so back after realizing I'd skipped three of their shows in a row because I hadn't been in the mood when it came on. This led me to think I probably wasn't going to be in the mood, so downloading it was a waste of bandwidth.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, I took them off my podcatcher a month or so back after realizing I'd skipped three of their shows in a row because I hadn't been in the mood when it came on. This led me to think I probably wasn't going to be in the mood, so downloading it was a waste of bandwidth.

I attempted to listen to the show because they were getting some pretty interesting gets after they won the Earwolf Challenge, but there was a point where they both had rediscovered pot and talked about it non-stop as if they were teenagers with just about every single guest. It was uncomfortable to listen to, especially how at the same time they were bemoaning their lack of money and Elizabeth openly pondering waitress work. Since then most of their guests are either the usual podcast guests or friends of friends of friends.

Also, is that theme song supposed to be terrible on purpose?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Auritech posted:

I attempted to listen to the show because they were getting some pretty interesting gets after they won the Earwolf Challenge, but there was a point where they both had rediscovered pot and talked about it non-stop as if they were teenagers with just about every single guest. It was uncomfortable to listen to, especially how at the same time they were bemoaning their lack of money and Elizabeth openly pondering waitress work. Since then most of their guests are either the usual podcast guests or friends of friends of friends.

Also, is that theme song supposed to be terrible on purpose?

Honestly, for someone who works as a producer, Andy Rosen is really quite poo poo at incorporating sound effects that actually sound good. I'm not even talking about the audio clipart that is their soundboard. The whole show, while mixed fairly well, just sounds uncreative.

To throw in another podcast recommendation, the Dana Gould Hour has been consistently good so far. He gets some good guests who talk like friends, and incorporates some genu8inely fascinating weird history/culture stuff.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Dana Gould Hour is amazing.
I hope he doesn't get sick of doing the work.

He talked about the process on another podcast and it takes many hours of editing.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to trying the Dana Gould Hour.

If anyone is looking for a new podcast to try I usually enjoy the Stuff You Should Know podcast.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/hsw-shows/stuff-you-should-know-podcast.htm

They aren't experts on the topics they discuss and it seems like they prepare for the show mostly by reading sources like Wikipedia, but is very easy to listen to and you might learn something!

e: I guess this isn't really comedy, but they do take a lighthearted or semi-serious approach to the subjects.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 16, 2012

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Stuff you should know can be good, but it's really clear that their knowledge of each topic comes from a few hours of googling.

I'm digging the Dana Gould podcast so far. It seems like Dana Gould has a really good handle on what makes a good podcast. It's got the comfortable, friends-joking vibe of good podcasts, but it also benefits from a lot of effort and a focused topic. The written bits are usually good and aren't too long. And he seems to have recognized that having a random guest can really hang up a show, and is focusing on bringing back the same guests regularly, so you get used to hearing them interact with him. And he's funny. Good show all around.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

Stuff you should know can be good, but it's really clear that their knowledge of each topic comes from a few hours of googling.

I'm digging the Dana Gould podcast so far. It seems like Dana Gould has a really good handle on what makes a good podcast. It's got the comfortable, friends-joking vibe of good podcasts, but it also benefits from a lot of effort and a focused topic. The written bits are usually good and aren't too long. And he seems to have recognized that having a random guest can really hang up a show, and is focusing on bringing back the same guests regularly, so you get used to hearing them interact with him. And he's funny. Good show all around.

Yeah I can't get with Stuff You Should Know. I tried listening to the history podcast on that, uh, "label" and unfortunately they did 4-5 topics in a short window that I'd studied extensively in college and got poo poo wrong left and right, so how can I trust any of the information they present on any of their shows if there's no editor?

I liked the Dana Gould podcast til the most recent episode with the guy from Time Magazine on and it became a weird OD conservative interpretation of recent American history :( Dunno if I'll pick it up again after that D:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Dana Gould Hour is amazing.
I hope he doesn't get sick of doing the work.

He talked about the process on another podcast and it takes many hours of editing.

Was that when he was on Walking The Room? I seem to recall him chatting about it there.

I'm still in 2 minds about Walking The Room. On the one hand, Greg Behrendt and Dave Anthony are very funny, but on the other hand I'm not even slightly interested in the Reigning Monarchs and the "clown from the neck down" schtick doesn't work for me. On balance, the comedy and how honest they can be about aspects of how the comedy world works outweighs how fantastic they think they are, so it's worth a listen.

Fake edit: I'm hesitant about Stuff You Should Know because it falls between two stools. It's not quite funny enough to be a comedy show with informative bits, and not quite accurate enough to be an informative show with funny bits. basically, if the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe both makes me laugh and teaches me stuff better than your show, you need to take a look at your formula. On the other hand, for handing me a package of basic information about something, it works pretty well

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I like Walking the Room a lot. I think listening to them ramble about their personal lives is the price you have to pay for their extreme openness and honesty, which is pretty rare in any medium.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Was that when he was on Walking The Room? I seem to recall him chatting about it there.

I'm still in 2 minds about Walking The Room. On the one hand, Greg Behrendt and Dave Anthony are very funny, but on the other hand I'm not even slightly interested in the Reigning Monarchs and the "clown from the neck down" schtick doesn't work for me. On balance, the comedy and how honest they can be about aspects of how the comedy world works outweighs how fantastic they think they are, so it's worth a listen.

Fake edit: I'm hesitant about Stuff You Should Know because it falls between two stools. It's not quite funny enough to be a comedy show with informative bits, and not quite accurate enough to be an informative show with funny bits. basically, if the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe both makes me laugh and teaches me stuff better than your show, you need to take a look at your formula. On the other hand, for handing me a package of basic information about something, it works pretty well
I think it was Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend.
Slightly lower chance it was Girl On Guy or Carolla.

It is basically impossible to keep podcasts separate in my mind.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've gotten sick of Walking the Room, between them using it as a place to bitch about their personal stuff, their 'open and honest' stuff is mainly just being bitter/hateful about anything around them. At least when podcasts like A Mediocre Time do it they usually splice in some jokes and general 'well life isn't so bad really' stuff to break up the stuff.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Glitterbomber posted:

I've gotten sick of Walking the Room, between them using it as a place to bitch about their personal stuff, their 'open and honest' stuff is mainly just being bitter/hateful about anything around them. At least when podcasts like A Mediocre Time do it they usually splice in some jokes and general 'well life isn't so bad really' stuff to break up the stuff.

We have a WTR thread. But don't post there, because your opinions on things are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FitFortDanga posted:

We have a WTR thread. But don't post there, because your opinions on things are terrible.

Well fine then I'll talk about movie podcasts, jerkass :colbert:

Just got into Bad Movie Friends ( http://bmfcast.com/ ), and now with this I think I have more movie mockery/discussion podcasts than any other topic? Anyway it's hilarious, it's similar to We Hate Movies in most of the humor is in them describing stupid things and then just picking it apart as stupid rather than improv bits and all. Their site even has previews of some of the episodes so you can just see from there if you think they're funny or not.

• Locked thread