Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Overheard two girls today at lunch talking about the show, and how they were disappointed that nothing had happened with the girl and her dragons, and how they'd been overusing a bunch of lines and words.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Either way, Davos better find Rickon completely feral and insane.

Oh man, Rickon will come back, seeming bat poo poo crazy, but focused. He'll have the backing of a rag-tag rabble of mad men and cannibals, along with the bigget, nastiest dire wolf ever seen this side of the wall. He'll proclaim himself Lord of Winterfell, and grind everyone who stands in his way between two stones, acting like the ruthless bad rear end Rob never had the balls to be.

When the next book comes out. You know, never.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bigmcgaffney posted:

I have been away from the forums for over a week, doing some heavy soul searching. I was becoming too caught up in shitposting in this thread, and when I noticed I had the highest post count I decided to step back and evaluate my life. Perhaps I needed to mature and do something more constructive with my time.

Oh god I've the second highest :negative:

e: and yep, the thread seems to have changed before then, but I hold that moment to be the arrival of The Bad Thread.

e2: from page 195:

quote:

Solaron posted:

We don't spoil people here.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 17, 2012

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

To me, the Bad Thread started with Cowboy Kyle's appearance.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

bigmcgaffney posted:

I have been away from the forums for over a week, doing some heavy soul searching. I was becoming too caught up in shitposting in this thread, and when I noticed I had the highest post count I decided to step back and evaluate my life. Perhaps I needed to mature and do something more constructive with my time.
What could be more constructive than bitching about a series of fantasy books on the internet?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If you ask me, we changed Bad after we started actively spoiling people who wandered in without reading the thread, which I believe predates hating Gurm, but was after ASOS had been out for a few years.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

To me, the Bad Thread started with Cowboy Kyle's appearance.

Reading through him now: "No guys, I'm smart you can't spoil me!"

At the start of Clash no less. There were some decent fake spoilers and a lot of shipping after he started his shenanigans.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Link, please?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh hey, I'm the fourth highest poster in the thread, with the apologist right behind me.

I obviously didn't make it to the Bad Thread until sometime after July 12, 2009. Probably a month or two later. I remember being pretty cheesed I had missed out on getting a tag when they were being doled out like candy right around my regdate.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Link, please?

I'll edit these when I'm off my phone for non-archives so we can all revel in the glory.

I totally haven't been spoiled guys!

Cowboy Kyle on March 18th, 2008 posted:

I dont read this thread I just post stuff and only read when someone quotes me.

I'm a veteran to the Battlestar Galactica threads, seeing as how I live on the west coast so I have to put up with spoilers 3 hours before I get to watch the episodes. I'm pretty good at avoiding this stuff.

I haven't been spoiled yet in this thread.

I totally understand though that I read this thread at my own risk. Its like playing russian roulette only no one... well maybe someone dies. Who knows?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=100#post341119688

Responding to a raft of fake spoilers:

Cowboy Kyle: Bran and Hodor like to play at night when they are alone.

KillRoy: The best part was when Bran warged into Hordor, then had sex with his own unconcioius body. I can understand why he finished so fast , I can't last that long when my dog is watching either, let alone a big, sexy , furry direwolf watching.

Nothing beats the Asha in the " Kingsmoot Bukakke". Didn't see that one coming.

Cowboy Kyle:"Hodor is not to be beaten like a mule" can mean so many things.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=101#post341194092

Complaining about spoiler warnings:

Cowboy Kyle on March 25th, 2008 posted:

*In his best patchface impersonation*

Cowboy Kyle will be spoiled, Cowboy Kyle will be spoiled, Cowboy Kyle will be spoiled.

Oh oh oh

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=104#post341412505

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 19, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Contra Calculus posted:

This has been a great nameday. I only wish that someday I will get my head chopped off and have you sew one of your cat-heads on my body. (Everyone in here loves cats so there you go)

Stay glisteningly moist, my friend.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

crazypeltast52 posted:

In other news I have reached April of 2008 in the proto-Bad Thread and GRRM is not yet an absolute fucker. However, there has been vigorous debate over the pronounciation of Aeron as "damp hair" or "damfare"

So what was the consensus here? I guess eventually the show should give us the correct answer, assuming they don't completely cut Aeron.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mnemosyne posted:

So what was the consensus here? I guess eventually the show should give us the correct answer, assuming they don't completely cut Aeron.

Aeron "damp hair" Greyjoy.

It's a nickname, you awful nerds. He's always in the ocean. His hair is wet. I'll loving kill you all.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It's a nickname, you awful nerds. He's always in the ocean. His hair is wet. I'll loving kill you all.

That's what I assumed, but it seems weird that there wouldn't be a space between the words.

EDIT: I guess there's no space in Kingslayer either. Still, "damp hair" is a pretty lame nickname for a guy who drowns people all day.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Aeron "Wetballs" Greyjoy

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
His manhood does not glisten in the light of the Seven.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT: I guess there's no space in Kingslayer either.

Ser Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer.

Ser Loras Tyrell, the King's Layer.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Contra Calculus posted:

This has been a great nameday. I only wish that someday I will get my head chopped off and have you sew one of your cat-heads on my body. (Everyone in here loves cats so there you go)

:catstare:

O Happiest of Namedays to you...I guess.

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009
Ser Jaime Lannister, the Klingonslayer.

Sounds good to me. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Now I have a gradient in my head; on one side is Star Trek, in the middle is the Ultima series, and on the far right is ASoIaF. I have a hard-on. Why do I have a hard-on?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Now I have a gradient in my head; on one side is Star Trek, in the middle is the Ultima series, and on the far right is ASoIaF. I have a hard-on. Why do I have a hard-on?

Probably the same reason I do, Margaery Tyrell ironically trying to bang a fabulously gay king.

Unless its a shameful boner from the captain's daughter. That screencap from earlier used to white knight her was not accurate, because it was her cross-eyed blank expression as Theon does a series of awkward, slow thrusts from behind. Say what you will about the attractiveness/ugliness of the girl, it was that look crossed with Theon's lovely insults and generally retarded dialogue that made it hilarious.

Edit: or maybe from that nerd fantasy you posted.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 17, 2012

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Overheard two girls today at lunch talking about the show, and how they were disappointed that nothing had happened with the girl and her dragons, and how they'd been overusing a bunch of lines and words.

You should have told her, "Words are wind bitch. Now get on you knees for Nuncle!"

Or spoiled her. Either would have been better than nothing.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
should have told them you had giants blood

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

el_brio posted:

You should have told her, "Words are wind bitch. Now get on you knees for Nuncle!"

He should have shouted "Robb dies!" and then slashed their clothes to write "WC" with his rapier before riding off.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I am almost wondering if you guys are trolling when saying that was ever a discussion. How could you guys read it as Dam Phair? :psyduck:

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET

Factor_VIII posted:

He should have shouted "Robb dies!" and then slashed their clothes to write "WC" with his rapier before riding off.

Someone should buy tickets to a playoff hockey game right behind a goal with a poster that spoils everyone every time the puck is on that end.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I always parsed it as dam-fair, like it was a french word. I was really surprised, and felt really stupid, when I realized it was supposed to be damp-hair. I still prefer my original use, because it just sounds cooler, like a title of some sort instead of people openly mocking a holy man.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Course, they're not, since their god is just some dude who sank to the bottom of the ocean and then claimed divinity for his own.

I also thought it was Damfair because it's still a fantasy series and those throw out weird names and titles all the time.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

el_brio posted:

Alternatively saying "Dany's storyline is about as useful as nipples on a breastplate. It is known". Then rocking out to a lovely rendition of The Rains of Castamere.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Oh god I remember that old thread. Look at the stupid poo poo I posted back then:

Jan 16, 2008 posted:

I'm fairly convinced that Aegon is dead. If there was some swap made, then I don't think we've met Aegon yet (or he was some extremely well hidden cameo).

... [stupid book analysis omitted so your eyes don't bleed] ...

Aegon's a red herring and a dead baby.

This was in response to Cowboy Kyle saying he finished the first book and loved it.

Mar 13, 2008 posted:

The following books don't slow down, either. And now that you know how capable martin is of throwing curveballs, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

There was about a 2 year gap where I would drop in on the bad thread about once every few months. It was like visiting the same roadkill by the side of the road for months and months: Each time I checked on it I noticed the same things: it was exactly as I had last seen it before, It migrated towards an uglier and more decomposed version of its former self, it was a little ruder of a sight, yet a little more familiar and comfortable a sight as well, and it was enjoying the anticipated books of its cherished author just as much as you'd expect out of any piece of roadkill to be doing the same. Anyway, here's one of my random checkin posts where i didn't just lurk and go back to living my life:

Aug 01, 2009 posted:

So my girlfriend's mom noticed via her own book forum that GRRM posted some update recently on his site. She knows we're waiting on a book from him so she did the neighborly thing and mentioned that we should see the update and that maybe his new book is out. It was so blissfully naive that it was downright cute.

So I just wanted to stop by to see if the thread's postcount doubled in the span of a few days. It didn't so that means no book, but I figured I'd say hello again and I'll see you all around in another 4-6 months!
She's now my fiancee, and I'm responsible for introducing her and her whole family to GURM. They're probably planning a Red Wedding for me.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 17, 2012

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
It sure would be nice if GRRM killed off Dany in the next book. Then Arya. Nothing is plausible about a 13 yr old girl being a bad-rear end. Just doesn't happen in real life.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

el_brio posted:

It sure would be nice if GRRM killed off Dany in the next book. Then Arya. Nothing is plausible about a 13 yr old girl being a bad-rear end. Just doesn't happen in real life.

Wasn't Joan of Arc like 16 when she was doing her thing?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I always parsed it as dam-fair, like it was a french word. I was really surprised, and felt really stupid, when I realized it was supposed to be damp-hair. I still prefer my original use, because it just sounds cooler, like a title of some sort instead of people openly mocking a holy man.

If it makes you feel better, I used to pronounce Jaime spanish style (in my head) as highme until someone pointed out that it's just a variant spelling of Jamie.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Joan of Arc didn't do poo poo. Story is more myth than reality. And the only thing "bad rear end" that she did was get burned at the stake. As far as I can tell, she never engaged in any combat and was merely a morale boosting figure head.

el_brio fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 17, 2012

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

el_brio posted:

Joan of Arc didn't do poo poo. Story is more myth than reality.

Beats out Dany. She is entirely myth, created in the mind of a sweaty, pear shaped nerdlinger.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

el_brio posted:

While Joan of Arc is indeed mostly bullshit, the weird undertones of misogyny present in your posts are a perfect fit for this thread. :allears: Tell us more about demanding blowjobs and things about ASOIAF that aren't realistic!

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009

el_brio posted:

Leading several armies to immense victories, and raising the hope of millions of people, also being a saint, really is nothing.

Edit: what is with all this Joan of Arc hating?

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

General Battuta posted:

While Joan of Arc is indeed mostly bullshit, the weird undertones of misogyny present in your posts are a perfect fit for this thread. :allears: Tell us more about demanding blowjobs and things about ASOIAF that aren't realistic!

Do we really need to rehash this crap again. Cue the 5+ pages about how GRRMs portrayals of women and minorities is blah loving blah blah blah.

Can't someone suggest a blowjob without being a woman hating rear end in a top hat?

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Post deleted.

Never mind. Don't care.

el_brio fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Clearly Joan of Arc has nothing on ASOIAF characters.