Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Chainclaw posted:

I'm pretty sure there was some talk of Captain N in here, but this show was super hosed up. Here's a clip from a second season episode aired in 1990. Captain N and crew have to fight Game Boy in Burger Time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FSZqma9haFk#t=92s

I think this was the TV show that taught me as a child that cartoons are made by sleazy adults to make a quick buck off of kids.

I need help, I believe I'm going nuts here.

Was there some sort of "Saved by the Bell" and "Captain N" tie in at one point?

I seem to remember it being the beginning of the "Saved by the Bell" series, and Marcia Warfield was the school police officer that was trying to get Zach. For some reason they got stuck in the "Captain N" world and needed to escape it so they could get to class on time.

Someone please help me, there's nothing I can find on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I had to look up the intro for the Beethoven and apparently Verhoeven was the executive producer. Makes me wonder if it was as subversive as the movie or if he just signed off for a check.
I re-watched the series a couple of years ago and nothing really stood out as deep or subversive. There was some mild characterization and, if you're willing to stretch, some social commentary on racism and multiculturalism (once they start allying with the Skinnies).

The series did hold up pretty nicely as entertainment.

The 1997 Paul Verhoeven film still stand as a perfect piece of comedy and brilliant political satire.

Onic
Mar 11, 2006

I can't be the only one who watched the single season of SuperHuman Samurai Syber-Squad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhuman_Samurai_Syber-Squad

That show was 90s as all hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

magic pantaloons posted:

This whole blog:

http://fuckyeahugly90sclothes.tumblr.com/

So at what point in the 90's were girls dressing like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver? I swear I don't recall that fad.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Onic posted:

I can't be the only one who watched the single season of SuperHuman Samurai Syber-Squad.
You just blew my mind! I had the 3 main vehicles that combined into a giant robot as a kid, and could never remember what show they were from! Holy poo poo! Thanks.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

korusan posted:

Why does IQ look suspiciously fami-

One 90s thing that looks like another I guess....even if Digimon was at the very tail end of it.

TShields posted:

Another one nobody else seems to remember is "Widget the World Watcher". He was a purple shape-changing alien who had a floating computer in his watch. I don't remember what Widget did, exactly, but I feel like it was entertaining.

Oh man I totally remembering waking up and watching Widget before school! I remember it would play alongside this other weird little show, that I honestly only ever liked for the claymation segments:

LemonLimeTime has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Apr 18, 2012

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I need help, I believe I'm going nuts here.

Was there some sort of "Saved by the Bell" and "Captain N" tie in at one point?

I seem to remember it being the beginning of the "Saved by the Bell" series, and Marcia Warfield was the school police officer that was trying to get Zach. For some reason they got stuck in the "Captain N" world and needed to escape it so they could get to class on time.

Someone please help me, there's nothing I can find on Google.

I'm not crazy!
http://savedbythebellnow.blogspot.com/2011/06/long-lost-nbcs-who-shrunk-saturday.html

Upon rewatching this: Holy poo poo, I watched some horrible poo poo as a kid.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Before silly bandz there were Slap braclets.

Who remembers ringing in the still new decade with these!

DEMAG has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Apr 18, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DEMAG posted:

Before silly bandz there were Slap braclets.

They tried bringing these back last year. But they were covered in silicone so there was no chance of horribly injuring yourself like in the old days.

Needless to say it didn't catch on. :colbert:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The Spice Girls. I was in an all-girls' school when they became popular, and everyone tried to copy the style of at least one of them. By far the most popular was:

Sporty Spice. This woman was a fashion icon and she inspired us all to go out in these:

Yep, this was high fashion at my school. I wish I could find a photo of my actual tracksuit, which had a yellow top with black stripes, and black bottoms with yellow stripes. drat I was cool.

Also, you had to own a pair of platform trainers, which I have unfortunately seen for sale in various shops, meaning they must be coming back into style. Agh.

My most hideous 90s memory is the sponsored Saturday Night dance we did one lunchtime at school. We had our families sponsor us for each time we could do the Saturday Night dance. I must have heard that record 50 times in a row that day. And yes, I can still remember the dance to this day. If you don't remember the dance, here it is being performed on Top of the Pops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-qpHo7H7s

Oh, and I remember my Grandma trying to do the Macarena. Shudder.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mixed Doubles posted:

This is generally how I see it, but this little series of posts got me thinking about exactly how I'd delineate the nineties from the 2000s. I actually think a big aesthetic marker would be the release of the ipod. Not necessarily because of what it did, but by how it introduced that white, minimalist aesthetic that really took off, in contrast with the xtreme, color blocked nineties. Even nineties futurism tended towards black angular stuff.

I'm probably wrong about it being the ipod that started the wave on this aesthetic shift, but that's what it is in my head.

I know this post is from a while back, but the way I see it, a decade doesn't usually define itself for a good year or so after it starts. So say, it was still the 70s until 1981. For most decades of the 21st Century, it's usually a movie or a musical group that sets the cultural tone of a decade. A big mix of things. But 9/11 instantly marked the start of the '2000s.

I'm not a sociologist though.

OMGLOLetcetc
Feb 13, 2008
Victim Of The '08 Account Hijackings :(
Aww yeah, Denver the Last Dinosaur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1fUqSQFdAI

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

So at what point in the 90's were girls dressing like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver? I swear I don't recall that fad.

Man, we had curtains/wallpaper just like those leggings.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Does anybody remember a dinosaur game where you had to go to different prehistoric time periods and take photos of the dinos?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bean_shadow posted:

Does anybody remember a dinosaur game where you had to go to different prehistoric time periods and take photos of the dinos?

That sounds like Pokemon Snap, one of my favorite N64 games, right below the original Mario Party games (which I busted out recently, and it hold up really well.)

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker

bean_shadow posted:

Oh, I think I know the one you're talking about. Was it for the PC? It was Dinosaurs 3D. That was my favorite game when I was a kid; it looked funky due to everything being in 3D and I didn't have 3D glasses. That was just one mini-game, though--it had tv clips of claymation dinosaurs killing each other and all sorts of crap. It was part of a whole series of educational 3D games, I think. We had all of them.

There was Zoo 3D, which was about modern animals, Ocean 3D, maybe Space 3D, and for some reason Speed 3D. Speed 3D was the lamest, obviously.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

TheKingOfDastards posted:

Oh, I think I know the one you're talking about. Was it for the PC? It was Dinosaurs 3D. That was my favorite game when I was a kid; it looked funky due to everything being in 3D and I didn't have 3D glasses. That was just one mini-game, though--it had tv clips of claymation dinosaurs killing each other and all sorts of crap. It was part of a whole series of educational 3D games, I think. We had all of them.

There was Zoo 3D, which was about modern animals, Ocean 3D, maybe Space 3D, and for some reason Speed 3D. Speed 3D was the lamest, obviously.

This guy has nothing but a bunch of those old Knowledge Adventure videos.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Unfortunately it was none of those. I don't remember the title off the top of my head (obviously) but it's one of those times that if I saw it I would know it.

The OS it played on was Windows 3.1.

Edit: FOUND IT! Dinosaur Safari.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Apr 22, 2012

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

DEMAG posted:

Who remembers ringing in the still new decade with these!

Yes. We got a pack of these when we went to the U.S. for some outlet shopping. I remember when my brother took most of the cards for himself and only let me keep General Schwarzkopf.

Kind of makes me wish we held onto them. I'm sure they'll be a collector's item, some day.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Onic posted:

I thought I had hallucinated that show for years. No one I know had ever even heard of it.

Man, I miss the days when Tim Curry was a voice actor in drat near everything.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It might have been made in 2000, but that's ok, we've all agreed that counts as the 90's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnvkbKiYoLQ

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Oh god, the 90's. I remember begging my parents to stop at every drug store we passed because I just HAD to see if they had any bottles of Designer Imposter that I'd missed. I loving loved that hideous perfume with their ugly bottles - I had them all lined up on my dresser like a loving boss and would hose myself down with it before going to school every morning.

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

My favourite shows when I was younger.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Onic posted:

That show was 90s as all hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

For the life of me, I can't find any good images of the sword and shield toy that came out of that series. I remember it being so awesome to play with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

For the life of me, I can't find any good images of the sword and shield toy that came out of that series. I remember it being so awesome to play with.

I've been trying to figure out what the name of that show was for YEARS. I had an action figure of what I remember to be the main character; it owned.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

psydude posted:

I've been trying to figure out what the name of that show was for YEARS. I had an action figure of what I remember to be the main character; it owned.

I always used that toy as the main robot monster than krang would use to destroy a city with, and all my good guy toys had to band together to defeat him.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

psydude posted:

6. Descent/Descent II

Robots have rebelled and taken over some mines n' poo poo! Go blow them up with your super awesome spacecraft that has lasers and missiles and whatnot. I freakin' loved these games, for some reason. They were actually kind of ominous and scary to my 7/8 year old self.

I think I have a couple of things that will take you on a wild ride, then.

And speaking of Descent II, it turned me into a fan of these:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

bean_shadow posted:

FOUND IT! Dinosaur Safari.

Man, if the animation looked nicer/was updated severely, I would play that game until the disk melted. (I may have mentioned before that I was the kid who parked my canoe every few feet to go on the photo safari in "Amazon Trail".)

phnuggle posted:

Ooh, that looks so familiar! What is it?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rahonavis posted:

Ooh, that looks so familiar! What is it?

McGee and Me. I remember trying to avoid it as a kid because, even though I was brought up religious, it was Christian propaganda and I didn't want to seem uncool.

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

SpazmasterX posted:

I had this, too! :toot:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Who else remembers the amazing TV series that was Pirates of the Dark Water? I used to watch the gently caress out of that along with SWAT Cats on Cartoon Network.

Star Man posted:

I think I have a couple of things that will take you on a wild ride, then.

You are a great person.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

phnuggle posted:

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only person who remembered this.

To contribute:

Slayers

Before I discovered the Discworld series, this was my definition of "comedic fantasy." Heck, the second season's opening theme is still one of my favorites.

Son Conan has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Apr 23, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Son Conan posted:

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only person who remembered this.

To contribute:

Slayers

Before I discovered the Discworld series, this was my definition of "comedic fantasy." Heck, the second season's opening theme is still one of my favorites.

I remembered that I had to order the first Slayers tape from some weird sketchy magazine because it was the only way to get anime back then.

Unless you watched the Saturday Morning Japanimation Domination on the Sci Fi channel! :black101:

God I think I've seen Project A-ko a few thousand times thanks to that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sir Prancelot posted:

I had this, too! :toot:

So THAT'S how it worked. I remembered they could combine to make a bigger cooler sword, but I didn't remember how. Now it's plain to see.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wandering Knitter posted:

I remembered that I had to order the first Slayers tape from some weird sketchy magazine because it was the only way to get anime back then.

Unless you watched the Saturday Morning Japanimation Domination on the Sci Fi channel! :black101:

God I think I've seen Project A-ko a few thousand times thanks to that.

I've got a VHS recording of much of the anime weekend hosted by Bakshi still to this day. A-ko is pretty much the first thing I watched knowing it was anime. I watched Voltron and Ronin Warriors years before, not really putting together the whole "import" thing. Good times.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

loving Samurai pizza cats

The best part is when they originally licensed the series they somehow didn't get the script so they pretty much made everything up ( allegedly sometimes while drunk).

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I had to look up the intro for the Beethoven and apparently Verhoeven was the executive producer. Makes me wonder if it was as subversive as the movie or if he just signed off for a check.

He basically just pulled strings to get his name attached to the tv show. I never was able to determine what, if any, contribution he made to the show beyond that. I was a modeler and animator on it, for what it's worth. I recall his name just appearing on the scripts in the producer slot.

The only thing the show had in common with his movie other than Sony paying for it were the bug designs and the psychic corps. Greg Weismann of Gargoyles fame was the motive force behind the show's plot.

Btw I too would kill for a Descent relaunch. Playing with headphones on at 3am, the screech the Gatling bots would issue when they saw you would send chills down my back. I also miss being young enough to have the reflexes to hammer folks with the lasers while they tried in vain to pop a Big Red One on me. Ah, memories.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
Anyone else remember this song coming on before their Saturday morning cartoons? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Ballin Stalin posted:

Anyone else remember this song coming on before their Saturday morning cartoons? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

Heh, try farther back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Heh, try farther back.

Oh my god, I had totally forgotten that poo poo. It's amazing how something as simple as a five second bumper can take you back.

• Locked thread