Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Weeeeeeeird. What's the damage bonus on the two weapons? I can't imagine them stealth boosting the 1.0 but them numbas don't lie. I really wish I had a 1.0 because I badly want to tinker with this poo poo now

Check these out, should be faster than the monk epic: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=17878
I'm assuming they're inv clickable and haven't been updated yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Yeah I just want fancy bubbles because I'm a sucker for stuff.

I don't actually need any of the clicky and will honestly probably not even hotkey it :shobon: Inv clicky just gave me an excuse to redo the stupid quest.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Turns out they really DID change 1.0 and I was entirely wrong. What a timely thread on MB!

http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36217

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bugamol posted:

You can get DoN augs by buying radiant crystals.

I searched for radiant crystals and came up with this page:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=34988

Looking through it, the only ones that add damage that I could see are type 9 augs. The type 4 augs again were just procs - best I could find was some that proc'ced for 175. Better than the merchant ones, but not sure how much the radiant cyrstals would cost.

Yes, I looked through that whole list. It was horrible.

Does anyone have a good aug search site? Or know of a type 4 that adds damage?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=82527 and http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=82651 are going to be the first pure damage augs you can easily find for a slot 4. Note that when I say easily, they are actually zonewide rares so it could take some time to get them without luck.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

xZAOx posted:

I searched for radiant crystals and came up with this page:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=34988

Looking through it, the only ones that add damage that I could see are type 9 augs. The type 4 augs again were just procs - best I could find was some that proc'ced for 175. Better than the merchant ones, but not sure how much the radiant cyrstals would cost.

Yes, I looked through that whole list. It was horrible.

Does anyone have a good aug search site? Or know of a type 4 that adds damage?

My bad. When you said damage I just assumed you meant procs. Sorry about that. Ya +damage augs are pretty hard to come by until later on, and even then they won't add a whole ton of damage.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bugamol posted:

My bad. When you said damage I just assumed you meant procs. Sorry about that. Ya +damage augs are pretty hard to come by until later on, and even then they won't add a whole ton of damage.

It's all good!

Seems the real +dmg ones for aug 4 are out of reach for me at the moment. So those are probably my best bet. 285 radiant crystals at 20pp a pop = 5700pp....I think I'll pass.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
I've been playing around a bit with some new characters and my old wizard on Xegony. But I was wondering if there were any goons playing on EQMac or if it is even worth it? I know it's pretty ancient but the mac client runs extremely well on my laptop compared to regular EQ in bootcamp.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

xZAOx posted:

It's all good!

Seems the real +dmg ones for aug 4 are out of reach for me at the moment. So those are probably my best bet. 285 radiant crystals at 20pp a pop = 5700pp....I think I'll pass.

Send me a tell in game, I have 1200ish banked.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

lotor9530 posted:

Send me a tell in game, I have 1200ish banked.

Oh awesome, thanks :D. I'll snag 570 from you tonight!

On a related note - is there a way to mail items in-game? From the mail screen itself, I see no way to send items. I thought maybe I could use the parcels person, but I couldn't find a way to send things from there either.

I guess I could see why they might not want to do it. It'd be an easy way to exploit LORE item farming - not that there aren't easy ways to do that anyways.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

You just click the item you want to send while you have the Parcel guy's window open. It pops up a little thing that lets you type the person's name to mail it to. I only know this because I had the same issue last night.

Think I'm going to take a couple day break. loving MG eyebleed-grinding wore me out

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

You just click the item you want to send while you have the Parcel guy's window open. It pops up a little thing that lets you type the person's name to mail it to. I only know this because I had the same issue last night.

Think I'm going to take a couple day break. loving MG eyebleed-grinding wore me out

1. Holy god that's horrible UI. But thanks.
2. lololololool. Given how you did what, weeks worth of leveling in a day, I don't think a couple of days will set you back much, at least.

You should log on to run me through J5 for a change of pace!

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a HoT aug vendor that uses "Silver Tokens" He's in the Brells arena thing, I can't remember his name..

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's Underfoot, but yeah. He's at the base of the big staircase on the left

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Okay now that my characters are at 65 and done with epic 1.0 with the exception of Wizard (if anyone gets a gnarled staff, let Karael know!), I was thinking about other long involved things and are wondering if they're worth doing or if its just heartache for no real gain:

* Planar Progression (for the charm / AAs)
* LDoN Stone max
* Breakdown in Communication (for the 14 step aug, pretty sure I'd need a couple of levels/assistance to do Inktu'ta, Txevu, and Tacvi)
* MPG Trials (someone already said yes on this, but I'm wondering how I'd do Subversion w/o a rogue)
* DON progression (This one might have to wait till I can box Vish and the other dragon(s), right? Or grab friends for it.)
* Solteris Ring in The Buried Sea (someone mentioned boxing these isn't possible yet)
* Hand Aug in The Buried Sea
* Face Aug in Secrets of Faydwer

I never did any SoD, UF, HoT, or VoA content before, so anything in those that's fun? Anything else I'm missing from pre-SoD?

Doing the epic 1.0s over the last week was probably the most enjoyable time I've had in an MMO in years, even if one of them will only last until I get elaborate+ weaponry, another went directly into the bank, and the last one will probably shortly follow.

Also for grinding xp at 65, is Earth still any good? I know the armadillos can gently caress right off, but I remember it all being pretty easyish back in the day, and I'm assuming earth isn't camped to poo poo like Fire would be, isn't underwater like Water, and doesn't have loving island 1 like Air.

Are there any really good click camps I'd should be looking into as well, like the Qvic Zoo for the aura of eternity click maybe?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

* Planar Progression (for the charm / AAs)
- It's cool for the lore/experience but not useful. The charm is crap.
* LDoN Stone max
- Literally like 360+ wins to max the aug. Just do the Wanderlust aug or the Hills of Shade aug.
* Breakdown in Communication (for the 14 step aug, pretty sure I'd need a couple of levels/assistance to do Inktu'ta, Txevu, and Tacvi)
- This is tedious and you can get other useful things for oddball aug slots.
* MPG Trials (someone already said yes on this, but I'm wondering how I'd do Subversion w/o a rogue)
- For sure.
* DON progression (This one might have to wait till I can box Vish and the other dragon(s), right? Or grab friends for it.)
- For sure. Get buddies to rape Vish.
* Solteris Ring in The Buried Sea (someone mentioned boxing these isn't possible yet)
- Eh. It's just some 300ish ring. The lore is okay I suppose.
* Hand Aug in The Buried Sea
- The aug is okay but you'll replace it with better modern ones. It can be fun to do :yarr:
* Face Aug in Secrets of Faydwer
- Still worth doing except for tanks (only 25 ac iirc)

quote:

I never did any SoD, UF, HoT, or VoA content before, so anything in those that's fun? Are there any really good click camps I'd should be looking into as well, like the Qvic Zoo for the aura of eternity click maybe?
Each theme in SoD has a long quest with a bunch of parts. There's an okay ac aug, an okay h/m/e aug, an iksar skeleton illusion, an ogre familiar with h/m/e, and an aug that is very similar to the SoF face aug. There's also another clicky that is totally worthless. If you do every task/mission in UF you get a black ant mount. It's kind of neat but you're looking at over a hundred tasks. If you do/kill everything in HoT there are trophies that enable extra tribute options, some wr bags, and a polka dot bunny illusion. VoA has more trophies and I'm not sure what else yet, still working through it.

Cragbeast Queen belt is nice if you're melee and don't have a shaman box (why don't you have a shaman box?!)

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 17, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Meat already covered most of that, but yeah it's basically all worthless except for MPG and DoN.

I don't remember which trial Subversion was, but I did all 6 of them without a rogue so it's totally doable. If it's the one where you have to open the chests for the coins, you can just melee them open these days.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

MrTheDevious posted:

Meat already covered most of that, but yeah it's basically all worthless except for MPG and DoN.

Can MPG trials be done at 80 with a 2 or 3 box? Also, are mercs allowed in the trials or no?

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Looks like fabled etc are here through the 26th a lot of people thought they were gone on the 16th but looks like we have an extra week of anniversary tasks.

SweeneyTodd
May 30, 2002

Forums Barber
So I'm gonna try this out. I've been following the thread and I'm deciding between Bard, Shaman, and Enchanter. I assumed Enchanter is a boxed buffbot because that was happening even back when I played (like pre-Kunark to Luclin).

Do you guys think I'd find a Shaman engaging enough with a tank merc to be worth leveling, or should I go with the Bard?

I will probably try both for a bit, which leads to my other question. If I want to try several different classes that aren't f2p available, am I going to get a better deal just resubbing for a month to try them, rather than buying them with station cash?

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

SweeneyTodd posted:

So I'm gonna try this out. I've been following the thread and I'm deciding between Bard, Shaman, and Enchanter. I assumed Enchanter is a boxed buffbot because that was happening even back when I played (like pre-Kunark to Luclin).

Do you guys think I'd find a Shaman engaging enough with a tank merc to be worth leveling, or should I go with the Bard?

I will probably try both for a bit, which leads to my other question. If I want to try several different classes that aren't f2p available, am I going to get a better deal just resubbing for a month to try them, rather than buying them with station cash?

Races are 300SC, classes are 700 or 750SC. The normal rate is 100SC = $1, unless you buy it on sale. I'd just go gold for a month if i were you, try out the classes you want, then you can drop to silver if you want.

I can't really address your choice of classes other than to say that all classes are viable if you're having fun with them. Honestly, if your computer can handle it, there's no reason not to two box. The extra merc gives you more options of content to explore. I'd recommend a wizard, as they have ports and the least need for gear/paying attention to them.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
1. I want to play a cleric, but it seems like it's sort of dumb to play one now because the cleric merc seems so powerful. Am I wrong?

2. I really only like grouping in Everquest, and it seems like everyone just three boxes + 3 mercs for a full group these days. Can groups still be found, and would they want a non-merc cleric?

3. Is buying plat online a thing anymore, or can you buy plat with station cash?

4. Can I pay for mercs with station cash?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 17, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

*stuff to do*

Seeing as how I'm ignorant of all those expansions, that's an awesome list of stuff to do for fun. End reward, meh, whatever. I just enjoy doing the content. Thanks for the great list :D

hayden. posted:

1. I want to play a cleric, but it seems like it's sort of dumb to play one now because the cleric merc seems so powerful. Am I wrong?

2. I really only like grouping in Everquest, and it seems like everyone just three boxes + 3 mercs for a full group these days. Can groups still be found, and would they want a non-merc cleric?

3. Is buying plat online a thing anymore, or can you buy plat with station cash?

4. Can I pay for mercs with station cash?

1. Cleric mercs are stupid. We use them because they're better than nothing, and while I haven't tried out a J5 one yet, I kinda doubt they're that much smarter. They're useful, but a human healing, as long as they're not ninja-afk'ing, is way better. Most people would probably recommend shaman though if you need a healer.

2. I just group with guildies, and we definitely group. Boxing is annoying though, from the POV of a non-boxer. I mean, it cuts both ways. It's great because they aren't dependent on other people to be able to play, but sometimes groups are shut down because people are boxing multiple toons, and don't want to sit out any toons. That's been happening more and more, and it sucks =/. But there's definitely people to group with. One of the great things about EQ, especially the higher you get, is the level range for groups grows. We were at mid/high-70s and had a high-60s bard with us, and it was fine.

3. I don't think you can buy with SC. There's probably a way to still buy plat online with real money, but no way it's as popular as like WoW gold buying sites.

4. You buy merc slots with SC, and you can buy Bayle Marks with SC as well, that can be used for merc upkeep (although I've heard people having issues with it). Although honestly, pp flows easily in the game these days.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I just read a few pages back and yeah I'd definitely go with Shaman instead.

My concern about plat is getting started I wouldn't have any way to afford a merc.

Which is the least AA dependent? Wizards/Shamans/Mages?

Also, is boxing really that easy these days? Do you still have to switch between screens and poo poo constantly?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I bought plat 2 different ways so far since I came back. One was using playerauctions. I think I had it delivered within 15 min, 100K for $10 using paypal to pay for it.

Second was by using one of the Wallmart cards during double station cash weekends. I bought 3 cards at the store, used one each for both my accounts for SC, and then the third I traded for PP. I just spammed "WTT wallmart card for PP" in general chat and had like 10 tells within a few minutes. I sold that card for 200K PP. Not sure of the going rate, it seemed like an OK deal.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 17, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

If any of you were on Erollisi, I would buy your gamecards for plat all day long.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

hayden. posted:

they all need AA to a certain extent. I would say at least 1K at lv 90+?

hayden. posted:

Also, is boxing really that easy these days? Do you still have to switch between screens and poo poo constantly?

Thats still the way I do it. Play it in windowed mode and switch between them. The thing that makes it easy these days is a dedicated tank and healer merc so you dont have to worry about doing the two most intensive tasks, they do it for you. So you can concentrate on DPS and utility. They have programs that make it easier for you but I dont bother. EQ is pretty easy going and slow enough to pull it off no problem.

I run a Shaman and Ranger with Tank and Healer mercs and it works out. The shaman buffs, slows and dots, ranger pulls and whacks poo poo, while the mercs take care of the rest.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

hayden. posted:

My concern about plat is getting started I wouldn't have any way to afford a merc.

You'll have pp for your merc. They start off free, and the cost scales as you level up. If you're not making enough pp in 15 minutes to cover their cost, you're doing it wrong. Usually in 15 minutes I make enough to pay for 1-2 hours worth.

Several times people have mentioned that Shamans don't need poo poo for AA. Like 600 AA or so and they're good.

For boxing (and I'm pretty sure it's in the OP), many people use ISBoxer. Just google it. I'm not a boxer, but I've seen videos of what it can do, and it's awesome. Things like showing one toon max, while the rest are in smaller screens that you can click on to switch between easily, send commands to other toons from your main toon, etc.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hayden. posted:

Regarding AA, I know that a shaman requires little. My lvl 94 shaman has around 1300 AA, and at least 250 of those are in DoT crits, which are just fluff. He also has a bunch of random stuff that isn't all necessary. The basic utility is extremely cheap to cover - I'd say around 400 AA should cover everything at lvl 90. The healing AAs will end up costing maybe 400 more to max out. That's all relatively low compared to a melee class.

Boxing hasn't become easier nor harder in total. The macro system is the same; I guess it has become a tiny bit better since the enhanced hotbars came along, but "harder" since classes have more abilities now to use. I would highly recommend using the ISBoxer multiboxing tool, it turns boxing from a bit of a chore to a joy. You can make do without with just two boxes, but anything more will be hell on earth without ISBoxer. The main thing about it is that you can send keypresses to other windows in the background, while keeping focus on your main character. You virtually never have to tab between windows if you set up a lot of good macros and hotkeys.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is there any benefit to playing with my account from 2002 that I played EQ on for a few years and has the expansions up to LoY? There's like 100 station cash or whatever but I think last I saw there were also veteran awards?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

hayden. posted:

Is there any benefit to playing with my account from 2002 that I played EQ on for a few years and has the expansions up to LoY? There's like 100 station cash or whatever but I think last I saw there were also veteran awards?

Yeah google the vet rewards. A few are decent but the lesson of the devoted is the one you care about.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ckwiesr posted:

Yeah google the vet rewards. A few are decent but the lesson of the devoted is the one you care about.

To add to that, especially if you're solo'ing your lesson, you get Steadfast Servant. That's a tip that Neri gave me. He'll heal you and give you some buffs (like haste, if you're melee). He lasts the same length of your lesson, so I went from having small downtime / using pots / popping merc out to heal to just lesson / servant, and murdering the whole time.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
None of the zone's I'm going to at 65 are that great. Unfortunately, many of the zones recommended in the op and earlier in the thread, such as Hole and PoF, are being camped pretty hard everytime I go there. The zones that aren't camped, sundering frontier and the steppes, are pretty crappy, because all the mobs damage have been ramped up so high that my cleric(non-merc) is almost out of mana after 2 or 3 mobs pulled.

Anyone have any spots to get from 65 - 70 for a full group?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
What class are you? Also I don't think killing 3 mobs and medding is bad.

Delightful Tonka Truck
Nov 20, 2004

Bahanahab posted:

Anyone have any spots to get from 65 - 70 for a full group?

Full groups are somewhat rare in that level range in my experience so far. You can probably find someone to duo with by asking in guild chat pretty easy though.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

BoT, Halls of Honor, Codecay, Vergalid Mines, Wall of Slaughter, Muramite Proving Grounds are all zones I would look at for 65-70

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I... I just can't do it...

It feels so much more exciting in my memory.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Tinzen posted:

Full groups are somewhat rare in that level range in my experience so far. You can probably find someone to duo with by asking in guild chat pretty easy though.

I'm boxing my own full group is what I meant.

Beo posted:

BoT, Halls of Honor, Codecay, Vergalid Mines, Wall of Slaughter, Muramite Proving Grounds are all zones I would look at for 65-70

Thanks, I'll check into these.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

hayden. posted:

Two box. Seriously. I understand there are those special people out there who just want to play one character, but groups even at endgame are few and far between. Having two characters + two mercs means there is never a time when you're sitting around looking for a group or soloing slow as syrup. You can drop one to group if you want, but at least then you have the easy option of ALWAYS having something decently progressive to do. We have a couple groups going every night in guild, but if you're outside their level range, they're full, or you're wanting to do something at a different time, you're really hosed. It appears slightly possible to sometimes find a group in HoT Courtyard/Feer at 85+, but it's still a crapshoot and it looks like most people sit with their thumbs up their asses LFG and watching box groups kill.

Plus twoboxing is fun as hell. I don't know how people only play one character in this game anymore. It's just too slow paced. You can two box for free if you just make your box a free to play account. A wizard's a great second box, free, and you can use the /claim mercenary to upgrade your free account's merc to J1 (and then J5 if you do the quests, shhh don't tell). Presto, now you have a 4 person group complete with tank, cleric, DPS, and ports- PLUS whatever you actually want to play as your main. And it costs the same as one character sitting on his rear end LFG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun

MrTheDevious posted:

You can two box for free if you just make your box a free to play account. A wizard's a great second box, free, and you can use the /claim mercenary to upgrade your free account's merc to J1 (and then J5 if you do the quests, shhh don't tell).
Holy poo poo, does this actually work? I'm trying this out tonight. If so, the question of whether I should add a shaman or wizard box just got $15 easier. Looks like a wizard can work just fine within the silver account restrictions unless you're completely mental with your AAs.