Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Played some more (Persona 3 FES), here's 2 more questions:

1) Can you call up the whole map while in the dungeon somehow?

2) Do you eventually get more tactics? Because only having act freely and heal/support is kinda dumb.

So far I can say I really dig this game's style, and the battle system seems a bit better than 4's too. Of course, I haven't gotten the chance to get really annoyed at the AI yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Amppelix posted:

Played some more (Persona 3 FES), here's 2 more questions:

1) Can you call up the whole map while in the dungeon somehow?

2) Do you eventually get more tactics? Because only having act freely and heal/support is kinda dumb.

So far I can say I really dig this game's style, and the battle system seems a bit better than 4's too. Of course, I haven't gotten the chance to get really annoyed at the AI yet.

1) Nope, they added that in P3P, though.

2) Yeah, you get a new one every month until you have them all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Amppelix posted:

and the battle system seems a bit better than 4's too.

Maybe it's been a little too long since I played FES, but aside from the ability to directly control your party what actually changed about the battle system in 4? I'm playing 4 at the moment and they feel basically identical, aside from the new MC's inability to equip any weapon.

EDIT: VVV ah okay, I noticed the physical thing but didn't really register it making a substantial difference in gameplay. I guess I just assumed fusion spells would show up later or something.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 17, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
P3 has multiple physical "elements" as well (Slash, Bash and Pierce compared to just Physical in P4), along with fusion spells if you have 2 specific personae with you but I don't think there's anything else different.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Maybe it's been a little too long since I played FES, but aside from the ability to directly control your party what actually changed about the battle system in 4? I'm playing 4 at the moment and they feel basically identical, aside from the new MC's inability to equip any weapon.

4 added a bunch of character S-Link-specific bonuses like taking hits or follow-up attacks.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

In FES (and I guess the original, too, I never played it), enemies on the ground will stand back up if you attack them, rather than potentially becoming dazed. There are also three physical elements, as opposed to Persona 4's one.

Other than those and the lack of party control, I don't think there are any differences.

edit: also the things the people above me pointed out.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
This is probably a silly question, but if Persona 4: Golden is getting a physical release, does that mean it was also be getting a digital release?

I'm in Australia and I doubt stores near me would stock the physical copy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

manny kaltz posted:

This is probably a silly question, but if Persona 4: Golden is getting a physical release, does that mean it was also be getting a digital release?

I'm in Australia and I doubt stores near me would stock the physical copy.

All Vita games with physical releases are mandated to have digital ones. So you're set.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
Another possibly silly question, have Vita games had similar PAL and NTSC region digital releases (or USA/Japan/Europe)? The news of a Western release has made me very excited and impatient. :blush:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Finally beat Persona 4. I wish I had used a guide because I'm pretty sure I got the worst possible ending.

Oh well, on to Persona 3!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

manny kaltz posted:

Another possibly silly question, have Vita games had similar PAL and NTSC region digital releases (or USA/Japan/Europe)? The news of a Western release has made me very excited and impatient. :blush:

I'm not quite sure what this means, but if a game has a release in a specific region on physical then it has to have a digital release. So if a game has a physical release in Australia, then it has to have one on digital as well.

In terms of "PAL/NTSC" differences, Vita has none. Vita is region free for all games on both digital and physical distribution. You don't have to worry about buying a game for a "wrong" signal like in the PS2 days.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Douche Bag posted:

Finally beat Persona 4. I wish I had used a guide because I'm pretty sure I got the worst possible ending.

You could always just sit through like forty minutes of cutscene over and over until you figured it out.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

EDIT: VVV ah okay, I noticed the physical thing but didn't really register it making a substantial difference in gameplay. I guess I just assumed fusion spells would show up later or something.

In P3 a Ma- spell had to hit every enemies weak point in order to get a One More. In P4 only one enemy has to be knocked down... or one aprty member. Ma- spells became a lot more dangerous.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Starting a New Game+ on Persona 4 is glorious.

Why yes I am the bravest, smartest, most understanding, charming, and reliable guy you will ever meet. :smug:

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Douche Bag posted:

Yeah, there's still a few more hours left to the game if you want to redo that section. It's the first part in this: https://www.giantbomb.com/guides/persona-4-ending-guide-spoiler-free/1277/

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Douche Bag posted:

If you actually got the worst ending (there's a timeskip to March right after deciding whether or not to throw Namatame into the TV while in the hospital and then the game ends), I wouldn't really call that "beating" the game at all, and you should probably go back and make some different choices in that cutscene so you can play the entire month you're missing out on.

You don't have to redo anything, just load your last save and hold the triangle button for 20 minutes until the game starts giving you dialogue choices.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Douche Bag posted:

It's impossible to lock yourself out of the best ending (unless you saved over your only file with clear data).

Keep seeking the truth if even a single doubt remains!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Oh God, did you throw Namatame into the TV?

Persona 4 has a Bad Ending (two variations), a Good Ending, and a True Ending. There's actually quite a bit more plot explained if you unlock the content for the Good and True endings. If you didn't save over your save file after you beat the game, you can reload and hold down the triangle button to speed through the scenes to the decision junction.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

To get the True Ending you have to buy the DVD or Blu-ray.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If you actually got the worst ending (there's a timeskip to March right after deciding whether or not to throw Namatame into the TV while in the hospital and then the game ends), I wouldn't really call that "beating" the game at all, and you should probably go back and make some different choices in that cutscene so you can play the entire month you're missing out on.

You don't have to redo anything, just load your last save and hold the triangle button for 20 minutes until the game starts giving you dialogue choices.

Yeah I chose to throw Namatame in the TV and after the credits started to roll I assumed the game was over and turned it off.

Whoops :downs:

Also is Nanako supposed to die?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Douche Bag posted:

Yeah I chose to throw Namatame in the TV

How could you, you monster :ohdear:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Douche Bag posted:

This only happens on pirated copies of the game, reported.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

Douche Bag posted:

(Persona 4) No, you killed her. You monster.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Douche Bag posted:

Yeah I chose to throw Namatame in the TV and after the credits started to roll I assumed the game was over and turned it off.

Whoops :downs:

Nope! I didn't even know that was possible.

So, I picked up Strange Journey again to finally finish it, and after two marathon sessions on a train I managed to gently caress up an alignment question and turned myself towards law. I wanted my first run to be neutral :( If I want to swing it back toward neutral, should I answer the next one as neutral or chaotic?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bovineicide posted:

Evidently I'm the only one to experience this ending.

How the hell are you supposed to know this stuff without a guide?

Anyway, Persona 4 was my entry to the series and I had so much fun with it I went on a SMT buying spree. So many awesome games to play :allears:

sponges fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 18, 2012

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I love P4 to death but that HOW THE gently caress DID YOU EXPECT ME TO KNOW THAT moment was the worst thing about it, that and the 2 hour long intro.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Douche Bag posted:

Anyway, Persona 4 was my entry to the series and I had so much fun with it I went on a SMT buying spree. So many awesome games to play :allears:

Perry Mason logic, I guess. I mean, is the most obvious suspect ever the one who actually does it?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Douche Bag posted:

They beat into your head the idea that you should never take easy way out, and always search for the truth throughout the entire game. Surely, you don't think an action that goes directly against that ideal would lead you to a good ending?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Douche Bag posted:

This is the game's way of punishing you for having two or more girlfriends at once, you dirtbag.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
In other news, if anyone else here is dumb enough to play SMT Imagine (it's not worth it!) and remembered to log in during the last few months, you can now migrate your account to Atlus. :confuoot:

http://migration.megaten.atlusonline.com/index
Pretty sure the game itself isn't back up yet, but i'm sure we'll all be back to grinding and trying to decipher horrible translations pretty soon. :gbsmith:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

TheLoser posted:

This is the game's way of punishing you for having two or more girlfriends at once, you dirtbag.

No, it's the game's way of punishing you for having no girlfriends. :smith:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
That whole sequence is kind of a dick move, since you have to get six questions exactly right to proceed. The first time I played I had the right idea, but answered just one of the questions incorrectly, so I had to sit through that long-rear end cutscene (even when holding triangle) again just to get another shot at it.

If Persona 5 does anything like that, they really need to give you a button that instantly skips to the next player choice.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Justice posted:

This only happens on pirated copies of the game, reported.

I laughed. Justice, you're horrible. :)

Douche Bag posted:

I don't know, but I suspect most people don't trigger it. (Though I have heard of people who did figure it out themselves...) To top it off, the game pulls the "Let's end the game here if you don't pick the proper choices" two times after this. It's a good idea on paper and fits with the theme of searching for the truth, but in actual gameplay experience, it's really frustrating.

But seriously, it's like you're putting down a mystery novel without reading the last two chapters.

For this junction, you have to choose:
C. Wait a second here...
A. We're missing something.
C. Namatame's true feelings.
B. Something's bothering me.
C. We're missing something...
B. Calm the hell down! [True Ending Flag]

Also, I'm kind of hoping you'll do this and post back your reaction to the plot revelations since your first choice was to thow Namatame into the TV :allears:

VVVVVVVVV
gently caress, I'm sorry.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 18, 2012

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Catalina posted:

If you didn't save over your save file after you beat the game

I just checked and that's exactly what I did. I literally did every possible thing wrong.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Douche Bag posted:

I just checked and that's exactly what I did. I literally did every possible thing wrong.

:downsbravo:

Congratulations.

On the bright side, you'll probably do better with social links on your new game+

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Artix74 posted:

They beat into your head the idea that you should never take easy way out, and always search for the truth throughout the entire game. Surely, you don't think an action that goes directly against that ideal would lead you to a good ending?

Your party pretty much does nothing but react to things instead of searching for the truth until this point. Just look at the whole Mitsuo thing.

Only reason I knew to get past that ending is because a friend made sure I didn't gently caress up. Admittedly, I probably would've at least tried to stop it from happening if I didn't know. Killing a person is pretty clearly the wrong thing to do.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bovineicide posted:

Actually that always happens. It's what causes everyone to run to what's his face's room in the first place.

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

TurnipFritter posted:

Actually that always happens. It's what causes everyone to run to what's his face's room in the first place.

He means that If you throw Namatame in the TV, Nanako STAYS dead instead of reviving

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Really, even if you miss all the other hints, the biggest clue that you're not at the true ending is that you still have plot-based social links that haven't hit rank 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you shove Namatame into the tv you're no better than he is. Be a better man! From there though it's all trial and error.