Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"What do you mean, the tail end? You were all... sharing a dream?" Somehow this was even more bizarre than the other part of what she'd said. It was also the less-terrifying part, perhaps influencing her decision to focus on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He loosens the grip on his staff and returns back to his blanket. He didn't need to see Isit in the dark to know the fierce gaze that was no doubt accompanying her words. With ears twitching, he takes a seat on his makeshift bed and lays the staff over his crossed legs.

"I will be fine Miss Le-." He stops himself from saying her name as he throws another worried glance into the dark. He could not hear or sense the woman in the field, but he knew she would be listening intently to whatever they said. He knew he was in the habit of saying things at times when he should not and he did not want to land his companions in further trouble for his foolishness.

"Thank you." he says, simply before dropping his voice to a whisper. "I will describe it all in great deal to you. Only, I would prefer to wait until we can be sure our shadow is not listening in. I will however say, that those who sleep tonight should be careful and not be afraid to pray for help if needed."

The woman had said 'us', just how many of them were out there waiting? It would be a blessing if he managed to get a wink of uninterrupted sleep at all knowing that hidden eyes were watching him sleep, not to mention what might be waiting for him when sleep did take him. He yawns and quickly stops as the widening of his mouth sends further flares of pain across his cheek. Gods, the dwarf could hit hard. He sits in silence for a while, rubbing his face and thinking further on the dream they had found themselves in. The phantoms that had taken the shapes of creatures they knew, the world that had bent itself to the will of it's unknown creator and the goddess... "Dinym." he says, unknowingly, in a whisper no louder then his own breathing.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With great trepidation and clear focus on his part, Alec sighs considers thinking of something and seriously considering what must be done. He then says the first words out of his mouth after waking. Shifting on his haunches to stay low to the ground, he was still certain that the enemy in the darkness was there and waiting. Alec takes his sword from hand and holds it both. He presses into the hard cold steel with both hands, until blood slowly drips down the blade. He looks into the other's Eyes and ritualistically nods to each. Without regret or pause he says in a very low but powerful voice:

"I, Alec of Cheruscisten, son of Cherus, Warrior of Weßenstedt vow upon my life and honor to all that can hear this that I will find the Nothing that attacked me tonight and regain what was lost. It will die, and all of it's kin. This I swear. That is all I have to say of it tonight. Tell me what I am to be doing."

Alec lets go of the sword and lets it fall to the ground. The drops of blood dripping from his hands, he leans down and squeezes both in a circle around the sword and across it to complete the blood oath. Picking up the sword, he wipes it carefully and sheaths it. He uses his first aid kit to bandage both of the cuts on his hands. Then slowly covers the blood with soil covering the dirt and the scent of it.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan shrugs in Alec's general direction. "He sounds okay to me." They would have to wait until morning to do anything more substantial than casual observation. That he had no way of truly testing the northman for any sort of spiritual possession or influence would be a setback. He had been trained to combat men, not spirits, not dragons, not centaurs. He would need to devote some time to the Memories.

"I agree, we should wait until morning before discussing this further. We never know if someone is listening in." That, and he would rather have daylight above him for what he had to say. After this, there was likely no reason to keep his own guest a secret. He would like to have had more information himself before discussing it, but the dice had just been thrown, and there was no stopping them now.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Staring wide eyed at the northman, Isit backs up a little. "Uh, yeah sure. Back to bed."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Just like that? You're all... going back to sleep?" She sighed. Maybe they were marching back into the lion's den, but: "What else is there to do?" she rhetorically concluded.

"Alright, then. Those others are keeping their distance, so no reason to deprive ourselves." She held up a stern finger. "But I'll say this: I see someone shivering, I'm waking them up."

Ready to resume first watch whenever.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 17, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec simply nods and slowly walks back to his bedding storing his weapons at his side again. It was time to go back to sleep, at the moment it was the thing Alec needed the most. However, it was the hardest for him to achieve. Though he was seething with pure malice and rage, he knew that he had no idea how to actually fight the spirits. He would have to be careful, even in his dreams. The rape of his memories was something he would never allow to happen. Ever.

Alec goes back to sleep and is going to be wary of anything that happens in any dream.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 17, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Well...I suppose we cannot abandon sleep forever. But if my sleep does seem troubled, I would prefer, if possible, a less painful awakening." Although grateful for Dolan's action in saving him from the nightmare, the faun suspected it would take some time for the painful swelling in his cheek to subside. "Until the morning then."

All these events would need to be explained and written down in great detail once the first rays of light allowed it. But for now, there was simply nothing for it but to close his eyes and pray for an uneventful sleep. Would the phantoms be waiting in his dreams, or maybe the goddess? Perhaps the others who watched and listened to them from the cornfield would take advantage of their slumber and attack, never allowing them to wake again. These nagging thoughts drift through his mind as he lays down, keeping his staff close to his chest and his eyes shut stubbornly in the hope for a dreamless sleep. The stories had never quite detailed just how tiring these adventures could be.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
As the others make their way- with varying levels of trepidation- back to their packs, for most sleep proves initially elusive. After all, the adrenaline bubbling through their blood's got its own set of demands, ones that don't include peaceful rest. Still, after a long day of hiking and in the still darkness there's enough pulling each back down to slumber. The harrowing fight they'd just had in their dreams gives the four a bit of forewarning, so that when they simply wind up somewhere else fully lucid and dreaming it's not a particularly strange surprise.

That they're all four sitting on a cloud? That's the surprise.

More specifically, they appear to be floating on a comfortable, fluffy cloud that for all the world feels like a giant pile of fine blankets held in midair by nothing more than a thought. They're not entirely alone in the sky; a large black winged form goes by, but after a panicked first impression it's a very large crow and not the dragon that had stalked them earlier. Aside from that, the skies are clear, the sun's beating down from a bare (at least, from the top of cloud) sky and plenty warm, and... there's no actual threats apparent, for what might be the first time all day. And- even better luck- they're each decently dressed with their equipment, this time, and Dolan doesn't seem to have an odd pink fog around him.

---

Back in the waking world, Lette and Martin despite their vigilance can't see anyone sneaking around outside, and the fake birdcalls stop once the intruders had been called out- were it not for knowing someone else was out there, for the life of either they'd swear they were the only people for miles around. A quick and worried check shows all four sleeping peacefully, though Lo'el's blow is forming a nasty and ugly bruise over much of his face.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 17, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Despite his many worried thoughts and aching face, sleep finds him a lot sooner then he had imagined and it's not long before the faun is blinking away the sudden, sharp light of a clear blue sky above him. He shifts in the sitting position he now finds himself in, trying to collect his thoughts, as he then looks down to see what he thought to be his own blanket was not a blanket at all.

He stands with a sudden gasp before planting himself back down firmly in the center of the cloud, having caught sight of his surroundings and realizing that to stand and risk losing his footing could result in a very, very long fall. He was thankful to see the others again and even more so to see that their clothing had followed them this time, although Dolan had seemed to shed himself of the pink mist somehow.
"I suppose the bright side is that the phantoms might have trouble reaching us up here." He eyes the crow warily as it passes them. Another phantom or something else? "I am beginning to wonder if these dreams are a construction of our own or of the gods themselves, although I imagine it would raise further questions if we were the ones who brought ourselves here." Had Dinym or another sent them here then? A possible place of refuge from the beasts who had attacked them before?

"I wonder..." His words trail off as he stretches his hand out in front of him and opens his palm upwards. He closes his eyes and tries to clearly picture a smooth, black pebble in his empty hand, much like he had in the prayer to the moon goddess from before. If he had any sway over this place, he would soon find out.

Will - 12, to summon a pebble.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

It feels strange- stressful, somehow, like exercising a weak flabby muscle- but as Lo'el focuses his mind sure enough a small stone appears in his hand.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He scrunches his face slightly as he concentrates, causing a sharp flare of pain to emit from his cheek, and starts to feel an odd, unfamiliar sensation take over him as he struggles to keep the image clear in his mind. And then he feels it. A small weight pressing down on his open palm as if something had simply dropped onto it without him noticing. He opens one eye cautiously to peek at the item, before opening both eyes wide in astonishment.
"Aha!" He says, holding the pebble up enthusiastically to the others as he turns it over between his fingers. "Incredible! It seems we do have at least some control over this strange place."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

When Isit cones to, she looks askance at the others for a moment before getting her bearings. She wasn't to happy to see the others under the curcumstances, since they had such terrible luck last time. Alec gets a suspicious glance as well. Who knew when he might start stabbing other people to make oaths. Spotting the crow, Isit perks up. "Oh! I think I am aquatinted with her. Be polite, the lot of you." The elf waves at the bird, her demeanor almost cheerful.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette slumps down, heaving a sigh. "Well," she begins, her voice back to a whisper. "Eventful," she notes of the night, still really only just begun. There is some solace to be had in knowing that she hadn't awoken the camp over a bird. But then, she might feel a bit more comfortable knowing that birds were all that waited just out of sight.

And then there's the matter of these dangerous dream-spirits. She shudders at the thought. Those nights she had awoken in a cold sweat, relieved to find it had only been a dream... had it been? There is no questioning the 'dream' of it; rather, the concern rests now with the 'only.'

"Suddenly I'm not sure I'm even tired," she said, the last word escaping with a yawn. "Bother."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

An audible groan escapes his lips, as he sees himself on another Weß damned shared dream. The cloud looks stable but he is certain it will drop him in a moment, using a knife he attempts to cut at the cloud and see what will happen. The large bird is meaningless to him, another thing come to torment him he supposed. He does stare at the rock formed in mid air with interest and has a thought on how he could kill the Nothingness.

As Isit says to be polite, Alec shrugs, he was always proper and polite. "At least this Spirit is polite enough to show itself." Alec speaks in low terms and then does the most polite thing he can think of. Alec shouts to the large bird "Hail Traveler, I am Alec of Cheruscisten. Come ye as friend, come to our Hearth. Come as foe, then with steel your kin be met!" with a well practiced and formalized matter diction almost a song in Alec's well toned voice.

Alec turns to Isit "Now it is welcome if it wants."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit nods, mollified for the moment. "That was very polite Alec, well done."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With a smile at his small accomplishment, the faun runs his fingers over the small, black pebble of his own creation, as if to confirm it was actually real one last time, before he unceremoniously tosses it over the side of the cloud.
"You know this creature?" He turns his attention back to the rather large bird as he speaks to Isit. "From your dreams or elsewhere, if I might ask?"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Clouds were a much nicer alternative to waking naked in some foreign field. He takes in what surroundings there are, then looks to the others, glad to see them clothed as well. And this time Dolan isn't covered in a pink cloud, which would certainly add questions to the mix. That they aren't alone doesn't exactly come as a surprise, but that Isit apparently knows the presence does. Perhaps Dolan hasn't been the only one communing with the other side.

"I had thought this place to be a Source, a sort of reservoir of magic," Dolan tells Lo'el. "After what we've seen, I'm not so sure. I'd never heard of spirits residing in one," he adds. Recent events had shown him just how little he knew about the affairs of spirits. Something that, if things kept on as they were, would have to be rectified.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Hmph. I am tired, but...I am not sure I want to risk sleep, so I agree with you as far as that goes," said Martin with a shake of his head. "Hopefully their second try is better; I will certainly want them to explain in the morning. Though I doubt anything they tell me will make any sense," he added with a hint of skepticism.

After a time spent silently listening, he looks at Lette through the darkness, head tilted to one side slightly. "Do you ever get the feeling that everything which can go wrong is doing? Certainly everything is very strange right now. It doesn't seem as though we are quite safe from strangeness anywhere. Does it seem that way to you, or am I just over-reacting?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"If it's her it's from my dream, that's how I knew to find you lot. Just be very, exceedingly polite, as I am sure this is one goddess you do not wish to slight. I doubt she would hold it against you that much, but just be good."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The stone is cast over the edge without a second thought once its utility is done; perhaps it would hit some poor soul on the head at a great velocity. Or perhaps this dream didn't extend all the way to the ground (begging the question of what would happen if anyone jumped off) or that they simply had nobody else in this... place, that could be injured by such an errant projectile. Alec's sword goes right through the cloud as though it weren't even there, despite it having no apparent problems holding up the northman's feet. Just one more impossible piece of magic or illusion or something else unwholesome in this strange place. His call, though, appears to draw the large crow's attention.

It banks, showing the four on the cloud its broad wingspan (easily twice as long as a man was tall, and every feather midnight black) and flapping casually to beat its way back to the cloud. With a ruffle of its wings, it lands delicately on a far corner of the little cloud, solid to it as well. The crow cocks its head to one side, eying Isit and Alec and the rest with decidedly un-birdlike intelligence behind its eyes; it opens its giant beak, and speaks with a perfectly human voice of a young woman. "I thank you for the greeting, Alec of Cherusciten, even if it isn't precisely your home we meet in. I am Vuoksi, of whom you may or may not have heard- and if you haven't, your companions have. Regardless, this is a safe place in a world that, for tonight, is quite unsafe- nor is it entirely my own doing as well. More than that, I prefer not to say. I would stay and chat with the five of you more-" she pauses, eying Dolan, and adds, "-but I've already tarried enough tonight and my job doesn't wait for my whims." The crow spreads her wings.

---

Back in the waking world, there's another brief exchange of birdsong. Distant- or just muffled quietly enough to make it sound distant compared to before. No way to tell. The sleepers stay asleep, and the stars wheel on unconcerned... and as Martin and Lette keep watch, they too can feel the exhaustion beginning to set in behind heavy eyelids. They'll last, if just on willpower, but the unknown fears of whatever the others had found was going to have a hard time beating out the certainty of a long day march, a stressful few hours, and the body's demand for rest.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec nods and listens carefully not interrupting or even attempting to talk until the crow is finished. Ritualistically, Alec takes from his belt of things and holds it out to the Spirit. "I could not let one invited come unfed, I offer what I have, or anything of need to you. I know you not, it does not matter, for a guest is welcome, no matter the location of the hearth."

Alec waits expectantly his hands out hold his cured meat and hard biscuit ration at arms reach his sword hand palm up as if sacred offering.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 18, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Could be that by morning we won't need them to explain," Lette said with another sigh. She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her head against them, staring off into the distance save for a periodic glance at the sleepers.

When Martin again broke the silence, she listened while fighting off another yawn. "It's hard to tell, anymore," she replies. "I was convinced of it, until I found Noah. Now, it's clear there's still plenty that could go wrong, and plenty that could have. But we're all still here, right? Centaurs and spirits notwithstanding." She smiles wanly.

"The real question seems to be what 'strange' even is, now."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"We know you're busy, and thank you for the help you have given us. Couldn't ask for kinder consideration. If you have time in the future, please feel free to visit us, we owe you a bit of gratitude for this." Gesturing at the cloud, Isit smiles. "Fare you well, and thank you once more."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The giant crow cocks her head in the other direction, peering at Alec. Opening her beak, she reaches out and grabs the ration (well, most of the ration, at least, with beaks not being perfectly dextrous) and quickly gulps it down. The goddess gives a little soft caw, before shaking her head and ducking it to one side; plucking out one feather, she deftly drops it into Alec's hand. "When the time comes, you'll know what to use it for." Vuoksi says. "Thank you, and farewell-" Rather than anything so pedestrian as flying away, the bird seems to flatten out, then shrink to a thin black line, then a point- and then she's gone.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Without a word Alec puts the rest of the rations back into the cloth and awkwardly holds it at full arms length, lest it seem that he is not taking from his guest . He takes the feather and holds it outright, in full view nodding and listening carefully. "Traveler fare thee well, may your hearth greet you with warmth and tidings." Alec speaks the words ritualistically with his stance unchanged, the gift and food out front of him unnaturally as if to recognize it and show it. He waits silently, half bowed, until the bird disappears into a line and then vanishes.

Alec quickly straightens out and appears much more natural now. "Quite a good guest, even did not eat all, most of the people here do not understand how rude it is to eat all of offered food. A fine gift, normally it is but a tale, but a feather from your own person? Very proper. If only everyone had such fine manners." Alec seems to have calmed down a bit, the decorum and properness he had not seen since entering the empire and made him feel as though he was in a place he could call normal.

Alec examines the feather and wonders at it's use is. This Spirit had talked like the Seers, very strangely and frankly confusingly. Alec not one to betray a gift with negligence and stows it next to his heart, next to other tokens that he never shows or discusses.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He stares openly at Vuoksi as she descends and begins talking to them briefly, keeping his mouth closed as he listens intently to what the goddess has to say.

He struggles for the right words to say, not wishing to sound foolish in front of a deity, yet a certain line from the goddess suddenly begs a question that needs an answer. He opens his mouth to speak, only to find the goddess quickly dissolving before his eyes. "Goddess! I-" But the goddess of death herself is soon gone and he instead turns back to his companions. "Five of us? I do not see any others."

Laying down on the comfortable cloud, he looks up to the clear blue sky overhead, wondering to himself if being in this dream would still leave him tired when he awakened back in the camp. "So this place is a haven from those phantoms after all. Saved by two goddess in a single night... It is hard to truly comprehend all this. Oh, I must explain." He sits up to look at the others. "In the illusion we found ourselves in before, I...was losing hope that we would be able to escape such a place and prayed to Dinym, the moon goddess, to save us. Unbelievably, she answered and the bear that appeared and saved us was her response. To think that I was blessed enough to have her speak to me directly... It will be hard to describe such events like this to the herd without them believing that I have gone mad."

Resting again on the cloud, he closes his eyes and pictures the full moon in his mind's eye once more. Great Moon Goddess, I pray that my voice can reach you once more. I wish to thank you for your protection against the soulless phantoms and to know that I hope to be blessed enough to thank you in person one day. May the beauty of song and dance fill your heart.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a loud laugh Alec looks at Lor'El and sputters "The Moon? That Spirit unleashed Death Dågon upon the world. You might as well summoned a great enemy for aid or Death itself, no, it would have to be the spirit of the Great Bear itself. It must have found me suitable enough to want to kill me after death, which is very admirable. The Moon though? It's constantly being chased for it's crime through the heavens by Weß himself." Alec shakes his head silly, the moon, the spirit never named, come back from flight to help him? Impossible.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan keeps quiet as the "goddess" makes herself known. That she had helped them was worthy of thanks, but he keeps his mouth shut. The last thing he wanted to do was admit to a spirit that he was in its debt for any reason, as if that would make a difference. Vuoksi would probably extract whatever payment she deemed fair regardless of their need for her help. And so would Dinym, apparently.

"We should try to rest," he says. "We may be asleep in our physical bodies, but arguing all night probably won't be restful."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit glares at Alec as he laughs at the faun. The nerve of that man. "Now that's the last straw. What would you know about anything? You're just a big mouthed northman that we can barely understand half of the time. If our lands are so terrible, and our ways so wrong, why don't you just return back north instead of bothering us?" With an imperious wave, she turns from Alec, and pointedly sits as far as she can from him.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He perks up at Alec suddenly with a look of disbelief his eyes. He had suspected that it would be difficult not to offend the man eventually, what with him knowing so little of the man's culture, but the idea of the moon being viewed as a source of death and destruction certainly caught him by surprise. "Death Dågon? We should discuss the lore of our peoples some time Alec, I have heard of many different beliefs in this world, but I had never imagined the moon goddess to be perceived in such a way. To my people, Dinym herself was the one who led the herd to the sanctuary of the forests centuries ago. The moon is her symbol and a sign of protection and undying love. I could never imagine to view her in a different way."

He looks down to the spot on the cloud where Vuoksi had been only moments before. "As for summoning Death itself, well..."
Dolan had a point though, he did not wish to argue or try to disprove the northerners beliefs. Dinym had spoken to him and sent help when he had asked for it. She was real and had protected him selflessly, just as the stories said she would. That was all that mattered.

"Some rest would be best. It seems there is little else for us to accomplish here. I suppose we will be woken for our watch any moment, Alec. I wonder what would happen if we were to sleep in a place like this..." He reaches a free hand up to his face and gingerly prods his bruised cheek before drawing it away in a hiss of pain. "You certainly know how to leave a mark, Sir Dolan." he says with a smile, despite the mild pain it caused.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec is taken aback, but his temper flares and spouts out "Do you think I want to be here, do you think I want to have spirits in my head, or taking things from me! I've spent 6 months in this land, and the only.. er person thing... who has had any decency was the Crow Spirit. If half of you here had in this "Empire" any sense of honor like that, you wouldn't have me coming down here! The sagas you tell are of two kings killing each other needlessly unleashing a horde of dågons and monsters into my land, killing my people. We have never had such a problem as you. I have wanted to return north many a time, but I've got a duty, and I've got people who have died cause of your "gods" and are dieing every single day I spend down here. Do you think I like being laughed at and scoffed at? If any one of them had the remotest amount of honor or dignity worth respecting I might actually be insulted. Spirits are spirits and I have tried to treat them with the respect they have given me, just as I treat any one of you. Vöksi to be honest is the best reception I have received in this land. So call your Moon "Goddess" we will talk, if the sagas are not true, then they are not true, maybe the moon is not her prison as is the other. It matters not to me, be it the Great Bear or the Moon "Goddess", or the whatever, I will treat them with more honor than I have ever received in ," Alec points to Isit," YOUR Land. I learned to read and speak your tongue by a book,written long ago, I found a copy in a burned LoreKeeper house. We even when threatened or told to submit, treated him better than any treatment your people have given to me. So maybe you should instead fix your own Kingdom and not endanger the whole of the world with your insane ways."

Alec finally ends and sits panting. He feels much much better six months of frustration and the harrowing experience of the mental theft were a lot to take in and he had finally had his mental resolve weaken to the point all his true feelings came out, though tinted by anger and frustration.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 18, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Well, I suppose strange is relative. It is all strange to me though, which is good enough," he replies dryly. The world had changed, one way or another. "I have never seen much of anything like any of what's happened recently. Soon I might stop being surprised at some of these things." That was probably unlikely.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit turns, and stares at Alec with a cold glare. "My crazy and dishonorable country was founded by the one who bound the spritz in the first place, and kept them bound for a thousand years while your glorious ancestors were farming ice up in the north. All prisons fail, and it's a wonder it lasted so long. The war was a horrible mistake where tens of thousands of people died, along with good friends of mine. That was our attempt to stop this, and it failed. If that doesn't meet your ideal of honor you can gently caress right off. You expect to get a warm welcome in a land torn by war? You may have plenty of honor, but have no goddamn sense."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He keeps his back against the cloud, staring up to the sky, as the voices rise and tempers erupt around him. His long ears droop sullenly as he raises his head to look. An argument between themselves was the last thing they needed if they hoped to have a chance at surviving these relentless perils.
"Alec, Lady Isit, let us please not dwell on this discussion. Tensions and emotions are no doubt at a high after today's events and getting some rest while we can may be the wiser choice here. There are far more worthy foes out there to direct our anger to then at each other."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec stares right back and without a even a flinch says "A founder does not make a country great if the people forget what he taught. My city may seem small to you, I may seem to have no sense, but in the end, I am here, to help stop it. We all have lost friends and loved ones, family and more to the spirits. I have traveled more miles than any of my people before me, to come and help. My people may have no sense, but they at least do not have insanity. There is but one enemy to my people, and if the King cannot prevent it, we strip him of everything and make him fight with the rest of us. Your insanity is that you fight each other constantly. The Spirits of last night are the enemy, the people who steal children in the night are the enemy, the monsters who slay our wives are the enemy." Alec has a single tear slowly roll down his cheek, as he continues. "I would rather have no sense and honor than be insane and have all my enemy. I have never once, expected you or anyone even come close to what I give in return, cause your people are hurt and wanting. The dead are not for me to determine their worth, nor would I claim to. I could blame some people for many deaths I have seen, and most of them live HERE. Instead, this ice farmer from the north is going away from those pyres and coming here to stop this madness, however I can. I see the wisdom of our Seer, in this place a thousand warriors would only be seen as a horde no matter who we talked too."

Alec crouches down and sits on the cloud looking mostly into nowhere. Lor'El was right, these people do not follow the ways of their Fathers, how could they hope to understand one who always had.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Do you even hear what you're saying? You are going to save us all through the power of your own goodness? You are a sanctimonious, grandiose moron with a martyr complex." With a shrug at Lo'el, she sits down to rest. "Have fun playing noble savage, I'm going to sleep,"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"What you call goodness or noble, I call simply duty. It is my duty to do it, and believe me, it is not so much fun." Alec shakes his head calming down completely, "Lor'El, I apologize for laughing at your goddess. The tales I know are from the beginning, I have no idea what your Moon goddess does or has to do with the unnamed spirit. Today has been trying, and of all the people in this land, you have tried the most to understand my people. Thank you."

Alec lays his head down and sighs. What a confusing day.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"It is quite alright Alec, it has been a long and tiring day and it seems that even our sleep only seeks to drive us towards new mysteries and horrors. Your people may seem strange and new to me, but no more so then the rest of the peoples and civilizations I have yet to meet. I hope when this is all over that I may be blessed with a chance to explore your lands for myself."

He rests his head back on the fluffy bedding beneath him and closes his eyes, wondering what will happen if he should fall asleep here. Would he only sink further into his dreams? "Although I am grateful beyond words, I do think as to why Vuoksi herself took pity on us. Surely we cannot be the first to fall victim to such spirits?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Maybe someone called to her and she answered. I do not know, we do not worship spirits, respect yes, barter yes, kneel before? no." Alec continues laying down on the cloud staring at the sky "I wonder though if I could call out to my forefathers like you do Gods, and have them come." Alec holds up his hand and plays with the light of the dream sun as he is left wondering. Who would bother someone so busy as Cherus and Weß?

• Locked thread