Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I seem to lose about 2g of coffee in the grinder when it's set a little below the medium point. Is it normal for grinds to get stuck that much even when you're not grinding espresso levels of fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dema posted:

Super happy with my Baratza Encore. Night and day compared to my worn out KitchenAid. Way more consistent.

Looks like I know what grinder I will be buying in the near future. Everywhere I've looked so far has said that the new baratza is extremely good for the price

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Can anyone post some guidelines on cold brewing coffee? I looked it up a while back found some wildly varying water-coffee ratios, 4:1, 1:1, etc.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

I seem to lose about 2g of coffee in the grinder when it's set a little below the medium point. Is it normal for grinds to get stuck that much even when you're not grinding espresso levels of fine?

What grinder are you using?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Bob_McBob posted:

What grinder are you using?
It's one of the newer Baratza Virtuosos that comes with Preciso burrs.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

It's one of the newer Baratza Virtuosos that comes with Preciso burrs.

Barataza grinders pretty much all have exceptionally low retention because the grind path is so simple. You'll probably find those couple grams are stuck in the exit chute because of static. With my Maestro at work, I just tip it back and give it a little knock on the table and run the motor briefly to loosen it. If you don't want to do that, you could always try brushing it out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Can anyone post some guidelines on cold brewing coffee? I looked it up a while back found some wildly varying water-coffee ratios, 4:1, 1:1, etc.

I usually do around 3:1 personally. 1:1 would be pretty insanely concentrated. At 3:1 I'd say you're around a 2x concentration, so mixing it with either half water or milk gets you right on point. I grind it somewhere in the medium-coarse range and just leave it on the counter overnight in a container and then filter it in the morning. It's a really forgiving way of making coffee.

Bob_McBob posted:

Barataza grinders pretty much all have exceptionally low retention because the grind path is so simple. You'll probably find those couple grams are stuck in the exit chute because of static. With my Maestro at work, I just tip it back and give it a little knock on the table and run the motor briefly to loosen it. If you don't want to do that, you could always try brushing it out.

I do the same thing with my Capresso and it usually clears it out. I also do it just so that when I take the grind container out the remnants don't fall in the area should sit in and make a mess.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 18, 2012

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Slapping the grinder around seems to have done the trick. I put in 23g and got out 24g.

Next scale I buy will measure to the tenths.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

rockcity posted:

I usually do around 3:1 personally. 1:1 would be pretty insanely concentrated. At 3:1 I'd say you're around a 2x concentration, so mixing it with either half water or milk gets you right on point. I grind it somewhere in the medium-coarse range and just leave it on the counter overnight in a container and then filter it in the morning. It's a really forgiving way of making coffee.

Stupid question, but is that by weight or volume?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Stupid question, but is that by weight or volume?

Volume. Water:coffee.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Next scale I buy will measure to the tenths.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/

This is so amazing for the price, it's my daily driver. I don't know why everyone doesn't keep one around their house if they're even slightly into coffee.

I just got a Chemex for my birthday, it's really awesome but I haven't had much time to work out my ratios with it yet. I'm doing 500g water/30g coffee, because I like round numbers a lot and I usually brew two mugs at a time. The Intelligentsia seasonal espresso I was previously using in an aeropress is pretty good, but I'm going to have to really take advantage of the drat thing and get me a nice Ethiopian or Rwandan bean.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I've really started getting my espresso machine all figured out. My shots taste like chocolate yummy. At first I was using the pressurized portafilter on accident and I noticed that it made my shots much less flavorful compared to the non pressurized porta filter. I usually use around seventeen grams for a double shot.

I forgot, I wanted to ask when to end the shot. I'm becoming familiar with the concept of blonding and how to spot it in the drop from the portafilter. Do you end the shot as soon as you spot the first streak of blonde in the pour, or after it becomes fully blonde?

SweetJuicyTaco fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 19, 2012

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Whalley posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/

This is so amazing for the price, it's my daily driver. I don't know why everyone doesn't keep one around their house if they're even slightly into coffee.

I begrudgingly use these because they are cheap and have a good capacity, but compared to the better pocket scales I own, they are pretty annoying to use. My Triton T2 is quite significantly faster at updating and recognizing small differences, and better at locking on to a reading without any drift. They are also generally more accurate out of the box. Unfortunately, the 550g capacity means it's unsuitable for weighing water when doing pourover. I use it for everything I can get away with, and take out the SC-2KG when there is no alternative.

Whalley posted:

I just got a Chemex for my birthday, it's really awesome but I haven't had much time to work out my ratios with it yet. I'm doing 500g water/30g coffee, because I like round numbers a lot and I usually brew two mugs at a time. The Intelligentsia seasonal espresso I was previously using in an aeropress is pretty good, but I'm going to have to really take advantage of the drat thing and get me a nice Ethiopian or Rwandan bean.

500/30 is an excellent ratio if you are aiming for well-extracted medium-strength coffee. It's around what I typically use as a starting point for all brew methods.

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

I've really started getting my espresso machine all figured out. My shots taste like chocolate yummy. At first I was using the pressurized portafilter on accident and I noticed that it made my shots much less flavorful compared to the non pressurized porta filter. I usually use around seventeen grams for a double shot.

I forgot, I wanted to ask when to end the shot. I'm becoming familiar with the concept of blonding and how to spot it in the drop from the portafilter. Do you end the shot as soon as you spot the first streak of blonde in the pour, or after it becomes fully blonde?

The "blonding" point is rather subjective. A better way to monitor your shots is by extraction weight, pulling them into a cup on a tared scale. You can adjust the ratio as you like.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I use this one for weighing my grounds:
Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale
http://www.amazon.com/Escali-P115C-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1334847654&sr=1-17

Very fast and consistent. Doesn't drift like my previous kitchen scale.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVYe-TE2eU&feature=player_embedded

:stare: This is probably so much money for such bad coffee, oh well you buy these kinds of things for convenience not quality.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVYe-TE2eU&feature=player_embedded

:stare: This is probably so much money for such bad coffee, oh well you buy these kinds of things for convenience not quality.

What's the point in having iPhone control if you still have to be right next to it in order to put your glass in place? You might as well just use the embedded controls.

This video was posted before but it's good to see again for how dumb and decadent it is.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
That video gets posted on coffee sites every month or two now. The "future of coffee" is a standard Scanomat vending unit (so you can imagine the drink quality) stuck in a cabinet, with some hoses run to a faucet on top. And iPhone interface instead of physical buttons.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

El Disco posted:

What's the point in having iPhone control if you still have to be right next to it in order to put your glass in place? You might as well just use the embedded controls.

This video was posted before but it's good to see again for how dumb and decadent it is.

So you can put a cup under it the night before, then turn the machine on from bed, DUH

:effort:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
So has anyone actually tried a cup from that contraption? I highly doubt it makes good coffee, but who knows, maybe it lives up to the hype....

:mmmhmm:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Someone just needs to make an automatic Aeropress and be done with it.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

swagger like us posted:

The Bunn Trifecta pretty much fits the bill. Unfortunately, even the home model costs $500.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

swagger like us posted:

The coffee vending machine we had in our breakroom at one of my old jobs was basically that. Ground the beans, brewed quickly and pressed it through a filter. It was decent at brewing, the beans sucked though.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Bob_McBob posted:

The Bunn Trifecta pretty much fits the bill. Unfortunately, even the home model costs $500.

How about just a lever operated aeropress?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I went to high school with a bunch of the Bunn's (the actual family). Nicest people you'd ever meet :)

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swagger like us posted:

Isn't that sort of how a clover works?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I just got an aeropress. I'm enjoying how easy the cleanup is and I like the coffee, but plunging that bitch can take a lot of effort.

It also makes me seriously consider getting a grinder that I don't hand crank because while my Skerton is fine for a coarse grind, it takes forever to get anything fine.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

a handful of dust posted:

Isn't that sort of how a clover works?

Not exactly. Think of a clover as a reverse french press.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Astronaut Jones posted:

Not exactly. Think of a clover as a reverse french press.

More like an automated vacuum pot without the cool physics and theatrical aspects.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

rockcity posted:

More like an automated vacuum pot without the cool physics and theatrical aspects.

From everything I've heard about them, it is a shame they'll only be used in Starbucks on burned bean.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

nm posted:

From everything I've heard about them, it is a shame they'll only be used in Starbucks on burned bean.
Not quite. Trabant in Seattle owns two, and someone here mentioned their boss owns one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

that Vai sound posted:

Not quite. Trabant in Seattle owns two, and someone here mentioned their boss owns one.
Probably bought before starbucks bought the company that made them. Apparently they are no longer sold.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 22, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

nm posted:

Probably bought before starbucks bought the company that made them. Apparently they are no longer sold.

Commonplace Coffee in Pittsburgh also has one. I asked them about it, and they told me they bought it before the company was bought by Starbucks, and they apparently bought a couple of used ones from other local coffeeshops (after the acquisition) to use for parts.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

rockcity posted:

Is there actually a vacuum involved? The piston is open on the top, I thought after brewing the coffee was just siphoned out of the bottom into the cup while the piston moved upwards to separate the grinds?

From what I gather, after Starbucks announced they were acquiring Clover and closing down sales, a lot of coffee shops that had them sold theirs in protest.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Astronaut Jones posted:

Is there actually a vacuum involved? The piston is open on the top, I thought after brewing the coffee was just siphoned out of the bottom into the cup while the piston moved upwards to separate the grinds?

From what I gather, after Starbucks announced they were acquiring Clover and closing down sales, a lot of coffee shops that had them sold theirs in protest.

Yes, there is a vacuum effect involved. HowStuffWorks actually has a pretty good article on it. They describe it as a combination of both a french press and a vacuum pot.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/kitchen/clover-coffee-maker1.htm

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

rockcity posted:

I used this ratio last night at woke up with some pretty good iced coffee (after a lot of straining). I took it a little too literally and let everything brew in the fridge for 10 hours instead of the counter. Next time I'll let it brew at room temperature and then chill it to see if that makes a difference.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

I was told by some coffee geek who owns a shop in SLC the best ratio (for pourover anyway) is 17:1 (water:coffee). I use 23 grams of coffee to 340 grams of water - not exact math but it tastes fine to me (Hario pourover).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sacred Cow posted:

I used this ratio last night at woke up with some pretty good iced coffee (after a lot of straining). I took it a little too literally and let everything brew in the fridge for 10 hours instead of the counter. Next time I'll let it brew at room temperature and then chill it to see if that makes a difference.

I've done both and the difference isn't that noticeable, it's their, but it's slight. I prefer to brew at room temp vs. fridge temp though, I think it's just a little more concentrated that way. I don't even bother to cool it down for first use, the cold milk and ice cool it down enough. After that glass I do put it in the fridge though.

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

swagger like us posted:

How about just a lever operated aeropress?
A friend of mine was co-owner of a cafe (now defunct) that made their non-espresso coffee like this. They adapted a lever-type orange juicer to push down on the plunger of the aeropress. It worked pretty well.

Nullity
Feb 9, 2012

Desperately seeking cure for Marble Madness.
I feel somewhat bad now that I use a liquid milk coffee mix and instant coffee rather than all this fancy grinding. I even have the grinder in a cupboard somewhere, permanently unused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

beanbrew posted:

I just got an aeropress. I'm enjoying how easy the cleanup is and I like the coffee, but plunging that bitch can take a lot of effort.

It also makes me seriously consider getting a grinder that I don't hand crank because while my Skerton is fine for a coarse grind, it takes forever to get anything fine.

Bit silly, but make sure that you're only using one filter in the aeropress. They're thin enough that it's not too difficult to accidentally grab two, which makes it noticeably more resistant.