Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You said in the previous post that when you called you got told "basically to go gently caress myself". You didn't try complaining then? If phone support and now a Sprint store employee are telling you that option is no longer available, I guess you could try calling retentions.

Makes sense because of the shithead scammers. It's sad though, I bought my last 5 phones that way. It was just so easy and convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tijag posted:

Have you flashed the CM9 beta 2 to your Epic 4G? I did. Battery life isn't as good as CM7 was, but this seems to run flawlessly.

This is great! All I need is the glass covering for the camera (shattered the original one) and I can probably wait until my actual upgrade date in November! Thanks!

rock2much fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 17, 2012

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

sba posted:

Makes sense because of the shithead scammers. It's sad though, I bought my last 5 phones that way. It was just so easy and convenient.

Not trying to be a dick, honest, but how inconvenient is it to give a credit card number? I really fail to see the problem.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mark Larson posted:

Personally, I like having the buttons because they don't take up room on the screen. Here's a Sensation (4.3") compared with a Galaxy Nexus (4.65").

I've seen a few no-button mods as well, so there are some people who prefer the increased screen size more than having the buttons on the screen. With the HTC, you get the bigger screen, a smaller body and no need to use no-button mods.

On screen buttons do have the advantage that they can change based on the context of the app and since they are just inputs on the digitizer, they are exactly as responsive as capacitive buttons are. They can be hidden by applications to give you more screen space. I believe that they can even been re-skinned by an app. In short, there are a lot of things that developers can do with them that are not possible with dedicated buttons.

The only benefit that I can see having dedicated buttons is that they are always visible and in the exact same place providing the user with a visible anchor. Which is pretty much HTC's reasoning for using them.

And while HTC's phones might have dedicated buttons and smaller bodies, I don't think that those two things are related. HTC could have had phones that were just as small with on screen buttons. Possibly with slightly larger screens.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

How exactly do I go about trying to get an early upgrade? Do they still even do this? My contracts ends at the end of the month and it says I'm eligible for the discount on 5/1. However, I would love to get a Galaxy Nexus on launch day this Sunday if possible. It's only asking for 8 days early. I have been late on my bill a few times though, so any advice?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

ddogflex posted:

Not trying to be a dick, honest, but how inconvenient is it to give a credit card number? I really fail to see the problem.

I liked putting it on the account and doing the trade in and having everything all be in the same place. No big deal in the end though.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Lowen SoDium posted:

On screen buttons do have the advantage that they can change based on the context of the app

Is this true with Android though? I mean, I know that's true theoretically and definitely true with the iPhone, but Android 4.0 seems to have standardized on the 3 buttons you see in the Galaxy Nexus pictures, since Google needed to standardize on something I guess, and of course maintain compatibility with capacitive buttons on older hardware. Even with ICS and all its high-falutin' on-screen stuff, there are apps that call up the menu button, which pops up on the screen as ellipsis (GN) or a bar with just the menu button (One X).

My main grip with on-screen buttons on ICS is that they are the exact same buttons as their capacitive buttons, but taking up room on the screen. Reminds me of touchscreen dumbphones from 2007. Also, I don't think phones will ever become smaller and lose the "chin" area to fit a bigger screen, that's just wishful thinking. It ain't gonna happen for a bunch of reasons, the biggest being that it'll hamper usability and manufacturers need space to put the components.

A lot of phone nerds claim that onscreen buttons were going to make it so that the Galaxy Nexus would have a 4.65" screen in a 4.3" phone's body, and that didn't happen. So I'm just setting the record straight with that picture.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

UglyCrackBaby posted:

How exactly do I go about trying to get an early upgrade? Do they still even do this? My contracts ends at the end of the month and it says I'm eligible for the discount on 5/1. However, I would love to get a Galaxy Nexus on launch day this Sunday if possible. It's only asking for 8 days early. I have been late on my bill a few times though, so any advice?

You should be able to call *2 and do it easily. If I remember some of the reps on here right, up to 15 days before doesn't take any effort.

Just do it a little while before so that the upgrade shows up when you go to use it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Auron posted:

. Also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Android had a huge lead over the iPhone.

It has a huge lead.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57392419-93/android-ios-both-boost-lead-in-u.s-smartphone-market/

Android marketshare is almost double iOS at this point.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

uapyro posted:

You should be able to call *2 and do it easily. If I remember some of the reps on here right, up to 15 days before doesn't take any effort.

Just do it a little while before so that the upgrade shows up when you go to use it.

Thanks, they are moving it back to tomorrow. So tomorrow I can call back and preorder. Can't wait!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Thanks, they are moving it back to tomorrow. So tomorrow I can call back and preorder. Can't wait!

Yep, tomorrow is the magic day.

My personal opinion, is the best combo overall is a nexus for phone, iPad for tablet. I get close to the best of both worlds and they honestly sync pretty well overall.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
http://androidandme.com/2012/04/carriers/the-big-4-shootout-who-has-the-fastest-network-speeds/

SOO SLOWW

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I know! But so cheap! I'm just glad I'm moving to a major city next month, I'll actually have coverage and 4g.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

That being said, The Nexus S, Verizon GNex, Evo 3D, etc all had bugs their first month out, so it honestly isn't a bad idea to wait a month to confirm that everything is working properly. If you are someone who still has a Touch Pro 2 however, for God's sake just upgrade to either of these and stop hurting yourself.
My Nexus is already preordered. Once it's here there's a good chance I'm taking a bat to the Touch Pro2 since that'll give me much more enjoyment than the $8 Sprint is offering for it. My friend, however, is taking her old Touch Pro2 behind a shed and putting a bullet in it, literally. She's already promised me pictures of the event when she gets to her uncle's farm,

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

I've gotten pretty annoyed with the speeds lately. Sometimes it'll take 30+ seconds to start streaming a song from Amazon/Google, and frequently pause to get more of the song when it gets to the end of what it downloads

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

spidoman posted:

4g.

Hah, no you won't.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

sanchez posted:

Hah, no you won't.

But the map said so. :(

As long as it's better than the 20kbs I get now, I'll be happy.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Quid posted:

My Nexus is already preordered. Once it's here there's a good chance I'm taking a bat to the Touch Pro2 since that'll give me much more enjoyment than the $8 Sprint is offering for it. My friend, however, is taking her old Touch Pro2 behind a shed and putting a bullet in it, literally. She's already promised me pictures of the event when she gets to her uncle's farm,

drat, that's $3 more than they offered for my Pre. :v:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Quick question:

I recently dropped out of a Family Plan and got into an EPRP with my Nexus preorder. I found out this morning that my work is going to be setting up a discount program with Sprint next month. If this plan turns out to be better than EPRP, will I be able to switch to it with little to no hassle?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Does anyone have advice on the cheapest method of porting out/porting back in? My sister is looking in to buying a SERO plan (she's on EPRP now and doesn't like spending $85 a month) and needs to do just that. When I did it, I went with T-mobile but I recall it costing about $50. I think they charged me a sim activation fee or some crap. Anyway. Would it be best to buy a cheapo prepaid for $20 then port out and then back in, or is there another, even cheaper way that one of you knows of?

She wants to keep her number, and the plan she's on now isn't in her name so she shouldn't have issues coming back to Sprint with a plan under her name.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Just a tip for anyone preordering the Galaxy Nexus today. If you ask nicely, you can get free shipping AND the activation fee waived if you ask nicely.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Just a tip for anyone preordering the Galaxy Nexus today. If you ask nicely, you can get free shipping AND the activation fee waived if you ask nicely.

If you do it online you don't have to ask

code:
Shipping   Free

Estimated Tax    $23.10

Activation Fee
(Included on your first bill)  WAIVED

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Hmmm. I didn't get free activation online. :colbert:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Maybe it's because I'm on a new account? I honestly don't know how it works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

Does anyone have advice on the cheapest method of porting out/porting back in? My sister is looking in to buying a SERO plan (she's on EPRP now and doesn't like spending $85 a month) and needs to do just that. When I did it, I went with T-mobile but I recall it costing about $50. I think they charged me a sim activation fee or some crap. Anyway. Would it be best to buy a cheapo prepaid for $20 then port out and then back in, or is there another, even cheaper way that one of you knows of?

She wants to keep her number, and the plan she's on now isn't in her name so she shouldn't have issues coming back to Sprint with a plan under her name.

If she finds a loophole great,but fyi SERO is not available. You can't activate new sero plans and sprint has gotten pretty consistent on refusing to transfer sero from one account to another. If she finds someone willing to do it though, great.

Fyi any porting in and out of sprint I recommend just porting to Google voice. $20 one time and sprint has Google voice integration so you don't need to bother porting back.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
OK, so I traded the Evo for the Nexus S. How do I unlock this baby with ICS on it? I want to try some different ROMs on it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Why doesn't Sprint have any real information regarding their LTE rollout on their website? It appears the only place to get updates is from s4gru.com, and that's just a fan site right?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

jisforjosh posted:

Maybe it's because I'm on a new account? I honestly don't know how it works.

This is the reason. Sprint is waiving activation for new customers getting a new line of service only.

I'm not sure when it sold out, but when I checked the pre-order about an hour ago no more phones were available. I guess that means at least some people (including myself) aren't waiting for the EVO 4G LTE.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

traslin posted:

This is the reason. Sprint is waiving activation for new customers getting a new line of service only.

I had the activation fee waived when preordering one for an upgrade a few days ago. V:shobon:V

Scratch that, I'm retarded. It was just not charged with the cost of the phone. It'll be on the next bill, though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Does the Google Voice porting still work for Sprint? There was no porting to be done when I set it up, no $20 charged like Google says on their site and was greeted with this when I went to port the number out "Unlocking your number for port out is not available when you have Google Voice on Sprint."

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This isn't a sprint question per se, but I think maybe someone will be able to help with this.

I plan on getting my mom the Galaxy Nexus on 4/22 [assuming a store has it in stock] or order it from Wirefly or Amazon. When I get it, I would like to take the Google Wallet credit/bonus [$50 AFAICT] and apply it to my personal account. She will never use the NFC function of the phone, and I'm paying for the phone personally as a gift for her, so I'd like to get that money.

How will I go about doing this?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tijag posted:

This isn't a sprint question per se, but I think maybe someone will be able to help with this.

I plan on getting my mom the Galaxy Nexus on 4/22 [assuming a store has it in stock] or order it from Wirefly or Amazon. When I get it, I would like to take the Google Wallet credit/bonus [$50 AFAICT] and apply it to my personal account. She will never use the NFC function of the phone, and I'm paying for the phone personally as a gift for her, so I'd like to get that money.

Depending on how you get the credit, one way would be to activate the phone with your Google information, get the credit applied to your Wallet account, and then hard reset the phone and have your mom enter in her own information.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

I have no idea how it all actually integrates, but I'm guessing the Google Wallet stuff is tied to your Google account, so maybe you could sign into the new phone with your own account the first time, get everything set w/r/t the wallet credits, and then factory erase the phone and sign in with your mom's account? If I were to do this, I'd read the fine print to make sure there's nothing crazy like "must be signed into the same device for a month" or something. I think the credit takes 3 weeks to appear as well, that might hamper your plan.

e; 3 weeks' wait for $40

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 18, 2012

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

Not exactly a technical solution, but could you just sign up your mom and then buy yourself some gift cards with her account? I believe you can use Google Wallet at certain online retailers, so you can probably find something that you could use.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

I have no idea how it all actually integrates, but I'm guessing the Google Wallet stuff is tied to your Google account, so maybe you could sign into the new phone with your own account the first time, get everything set w/r/t the wallet credits, and then factory erase the phone and sign in with your mom's account? If I were to do this, I'd read the fine print to make sure there's nothing crazy like "must be signed into the same device for a month" or something. I think the credit takes 3 weeks to appear as well, that might hamper your plan.

e; 3 weeks' wait for $40

Does this mean it will take 3 weeks to see the $40 credit to my wallet account [assuming I signed in and activated it on my google account]? If that's all, that's fine.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

Does this mean it will take 3 weeks to see the $40 credit to my wallet account [assuming I signed in and activated it on my google account]? If that's all, that's fine.

Yeah, that's the part I don't know. Not sure if they would be able to distinguish whether you've been signed into the same device you started the crediting process on for the full three weeks or whatever.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Just bought the Galaxy Nexus for Sprint from Wirefly for $149.99 [upgrade account/contract extension].

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

Just bought the Galaxy Nexus for Sprint from Wirefly for $149.99 [upgrade account/contract extension].

Hopefully you'll get the phone soon enough to take advantage of the Google Wallet promotion. Do they have an eta on delivery?

Also, I've heard that the contract terms are different for phones purchased from Wirefly than for phones purchased directly from Sprint. Does anyone happen to know the differences?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

traslin posted:

Hopefully you'll get the phone soon enough to take advantage of the Google Wallet promotion. Do they have an eta on delivery?

Also, I've heard that the contract terms are different for phones purchased from Wirefly than for phones purchased directly from Sprint. Does anyone happen to know the differences?

All I need is to get the phone by 5/22 to get the Google Wallet promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

All I need is to get the phone by 5/22 to get the Google Wallet promotion.

My mistake. I misread the promotion. I thought it had to be purchased in the first week...