Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

incoherent posted:

Yeah, its kind of loving wonky. There should be a test button to check if it can authenticate. Where does it fail at?

The part that allows me to log in :v: It just errors out with a generic username/password invalid error. It doesn't tell me anything else. I've tried every combination of domain/username, username@domain, etc etc I can think of to no avail.

I'm going to be asking our Sr. Sysadmin about it but damnit I really wanted to do this myself :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

InfiniteDonkey posted:

I've also been making images with physical computers. Now i've been thinking of switching to use VMWare workstation to make the base image as a virtual machine. Does anybody have any experience on creating images from virtual machines?

I maintain my reference images in esx. Being able to use snapshots makes it invaluable. Using workstation would be no different. You'll never go back to using a physical machine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the main difference between SBS and 2008? Features for AD and GP?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Swink posted:

I maintain my reference images in esx. Being able to use snapshots makes it invaluable. Using workstation would be no different. You'll never go back to using a physical machine.

Seriously. In my new/current job we don't use VMs at all. And we're testing software deployments. We have a lab of 60 computers to do the work of 5 VMs. It's a complete joke.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
We don't virtualise where I'm at. I can't talk anyone into it. The exact quote I get for why we're not doing it is "It's job security when the executives step into the server room and are intimidated by all of the servers".

We could literally virtualise our 15 physical servers into two physical machines.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

psydude posted:

What's the main difference between SBS and 2008? Features for AD and GP?
Am i misunderstanding the question perhaps, but if it's Server 2008 vs Small Business Server 2008 then it's the whole exchange-is-included thing. All eggs in one basket.

As a side-note we've almost only sold SBS to our customers, which means almost all of them run SBS on a single server, which when Symantec Endpoint Protection client screws up access to/from the server means that _everything_ stops.
Was a fun week to diagnose, was it hardware or software? Did the backups contain proper data or if it was a memory error, had the backups also been corrupted?.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Not sure where else to ask this but this seems as good a thread as any; anybody have any recommendations for IM software that integrates with Active Directory? Free would be preferable!

Note: I for the life of me cannot get Spark/Openfire to function correctly on my server with single sign-on, so something that isn't that, would be terrific.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Furnok Dorn posted:

Not sure where else to ask this but this seems as good a thread as any; anybody have any recommendations for IM software that integrates with Active Directory? Free would be preferable!

Note: I for the life of me cannot get Spark/Openfire to function correctly on my server with single sign-on, so something that isn't that, would be terrific.

Spark/Openfire is pretty much the most mature open source IM software out there. If your a MS Shop Office Communicator rocks, but can get pricy if your not on a big agreement with them. We have a big EA with Enterprise CALs for everyone, so we already pay for most of the crap we don't even use.

Really though, I ran Spark/Openfire for 3 years authenticating against AD and had almost no issues at all. If you're trying to configure Spark for true SSO, the documentation on their site should be enough to get it working, if not I bet there's an answer somewhere in the forums.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

skipdogg posted:

Spark/Openfire is pretty much the most mature open source IM software out there. If your a MS Shop Office Communicator rocks, but can get pricy if your not on a big agreement with them. We have a big EA with Enterprise CALs for everyone, so we already pay for most of the crap we don't even use.

Really though, I ran Spark/Openfire for 3 years authenticating against AD and had almost no issues at all. If you're trying to configure Spark for true SSO, the documentation on their site should be enough to get it working, if not I bet there's an answer somewhere in the forums.

Yeah, I've done everything to the letter on their setup guide and keep getting the same error, what I've read points to it being a keytab issue but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm going to be migrating 35 or so clients from a lovely domain to a new domain (but they have the same name) so I have to remove the machines from the domain before I add it to the old domain.

In case there are some workstations hiding that I don't discover until after the fact, is there a way to force a machine to leave a domain if it can't talk to that domain?

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm going to be migrating 35 or so clients from a lovely domain to a new domain (but they have the same name) so I have to remove the machines from the domain before I add it to the old domain.

In case there are some workstations hiding that I don't discover until after the fact, is there a way to force a machine to leave a domain if it can't talk to that domain?

In my experience, if a machine is being unjoined and cannot contact the domain controller, once it times out it unjoins anyway.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
All the authentication prompt when unjoining a workstation is for is to disable (I think) the computer account on the network. You can enter gibberish in it even if the domain is contactable and the PC will still unjoin.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

quackquackquack posted:

In my experience, if a machine is being unjoined and cannot contact the domain controller, once it times out it unjoins anyway.
Yeah you only need local admin to unjoin.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah you only need local admin to unjoin.

I tested this out and it does indeed seem to be the case. Excellent.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IT Guy posted:

We don't virtualise where I'm at. I can't talk anyone into it. The exact quote I get for why we're not doing it is "It's job security when the executives step into the server room and are intimidated by all of the servers".

We could literally virtualise our 15 physical servers into two physical machines.

What about job security when you have a small cluster running in there, and they touch the KVM and there is literally nothing they can do from an ESXi screen? My new boss talked about how stepping into a heavily virtualized environment coming from a place that was mostly physicals is pretty overwhelming until you get a good understanding of virtualization.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Moey posted:

What about job security when you have a small cluster running in there, and they touch the KVM and there is literally nothing they can do from an ESXi screen? My new boss talked about how stepping into a heavily virtualized environment coming from a place that was mostly physicals is pretty overwhelming until you get a good understanding of virtualization.
Going the other way around is the most depressing thing ever, too.

"Oh you need a test rig for that quick project, sure let me spin one up oh-wait-i-can't"

:(

IT Guy posted:

spidoman posted:

Seriously. In my new/current job we don't use VMs at all. And we're testing software deployments. We have a lab of 60 computers to do the work of 5 VMs. It's a complete joke.
Well, sometimes you do want to make sure it runs on a physical OS, poo poo drivers and all. But most of the time, that's crazy.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 14, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My new Enterprise Windows Management is going to be Microsoft's Enterprise Windows Management. 500,000+ machines.

I'm terrified.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

evil_bunnY posted:

Going the other way around is the most depressing thing ever, too.

"Oh you need a test rig for that quick project, sure let me spin one up oh-wait-i-can't"

:(

Well, sometimes you do want to make sure it runs on a physical OS, poo poo drivers and all. But most of the time, that's crazy.

There are very few cases where things need to remain physical in this day and age. I've never heard drivers as one of those.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'd say lovely drivers are a reason to go virtual. Not many developers will test their application with every weird network adapter there is out there, but almost everyone will at least try to test on Hyper-V and ESXi.

three
Aug 9, 2007

peak debt posted:

I'd say lovely drivers are a reason to go virtual. Not many developers will test their application with every weird network adapter there is out there, but almost everyone will at least try to test on Hyper-V and ESXi.

I thought he was saying he didn't want to go virtual because of drivers, but in hindsight it looks like he meant testing applications in conjunction with bad drivers on physical servers? Sorry if I misunderstood.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

three posted:

I thought he was saying he didn't want to go virtual because of drivers, but in hindsight it looks like he meant testing applications in conjunction with bad drivers on physical servers? Sorry if I misunderstood.
Yeah, wasn't clear sorry.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I found my new workstation:

Specs:

HP ProLiant BL465 G7 (4) (16 processors, 192 cores and 2048 GB memory)
Total (396) 146GB 15K SFF disks, 57 TB raw capacity

In reality, just plug-in power and 4 10g ethernet connections and you've got your cloud in a box! MMS is such a fun time.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
How much does that thing cost. :eek:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yaos posted:

How much does that thing cost. :eek:

Quick and dirty guess would be 350K to 500K depending on how big of a discount you can swing from HP. That includes all the software and support fees from HP as well.

The issue with something like that is power density. What kind of power reqs does that rack have? Dual 60A 208V?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Is that HP's version of the VCE vBlock?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

skipdogg posted:

Quick and dirty guess would be 350K to 500K depending on how big of a discount you can swing from HP. That includes all the software and support fees from HP as well.

The issue with something like that is power density. What kind of power reqs does that rack have? Dual 60A 208V?

At least that much, I'd also assume they have requirements for floor structure as that thing must weigh a ton.

I remember touring Burtons facilities in 2004 and they got some HP san, which was ridiculously expensive back then and HP had engineers sent out to the site to make sure everything was in place before the unit was put in.

Have to say, seeing a piece of gear like that back then was pretty loving jaw dropping when they explained what it could do.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

They're running the MMS lab VMs on it. 12,000 VMs that are all reprovisioned every hour, in less than ten minutes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can anybody make heads or tails of the System Center 2012 release? I want SCCM 2012 whatever that is, Ops Manager, Data Protection Manager, maybe Endpoint Protection, and maybe others. From what I can tell They're all included, but you still have to choose SC 2012 Datacenter of Standard.

I asked our campus software people about an upgrade, they gave me the following options:
System Center 2012 Client Management Suite
System Center 2012 Config Mgr Client Mgmt
System Center 2012 Datacenter
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
System Center 2012 Standard

None of that meshes with my understanding, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
I've set up MDT a couple times over the the last 4 years, so I decided this time I would make it a challenge!

Win7-32 and 64, 16 different computer models need to be supported (thankfully all Dell), 20 applications (I have "packaged" 15 of them before, but I don't have access to that previous work), but luckily no user state crap, it's for "fresh" computers only at this point in time.

Can I do it in 8 working hours?

Do I really just need a more challenging job instead?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Unfortunately, Dell has made it really easy to get all your drivers in a single package; it's not really a challenge.
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx

Gumshoes, here's your challenge, create a silent install for any Adobe product. :hehe:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gently caress Adobe products forever

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
I was aware of the system CABs (thank god), but that link is way better than going to each model's page, thanks.

Use the Adobe Customization Wizard?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran

FISHMANPET posted:

Can anybody make heads or tails of the System Center 2012 release? I want SCCM 2012 whatever that is, Ops Manager, Data Protection Manager, maybe Endpoint Protection, and maybe others. From what I can tell They're all included, but you still have to choose SC 2012 Datacenter of Standard.

I asked our campus software people about an upgrade, they gave me the following options:
System Center 2012 Client Management Suite
System Center 2012 Config Mgr Client Mgmt
System Center 2012 Datacenter
System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection
System Center 2012 Standard

None of that meshes with my understanding, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
You want to have a read of the licencing documents on MS - from what I can tell the feature set is dictated by what endpoint CALs you get now :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/configuration-manager-2012-buy.aspx

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/1/11128EC7-2BE7-480C-9D46-4ECECA9E481A/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20Datasheet.pdf

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/7/0/870B5D9B-ACF1-4192-BD0A-543AF551B7AE/System%20Center%202012%20Licensing%20FAQ.pdf

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

This is something you shouldn't read right away when you get out of bed and figure out the licensing model best for you.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 25, 2012

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think the confusion on those documents comes from most of the start being about server management licences (SMLs), where most people I know (ie. those not running datacentres) are most interested in client management (MLs):

Standard and Datacenter licences are for machines running server OSs you manage and cover all the available System Center 2012 components, but you're limited to controlling 2 VMs on a server with a Standard licence.

The table 'Licencing Managed Clients' is what desktop people are interested in - it shows which MLs you need for which components, and which might already be included if you have Core/Enterprise CAL suites.

As far as I understand, there's no cost/licence associated with the actual System Center servers themselves, including running the SQL server to host the database for SCCM 2012 as an example.

I think that's correct, anyway!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crap like that makes me happy we just buy Enterprise CAL's for the whole company. We don't really have to worry about too much of the licensing crap. Downside is we hardly use any of the stuff we actually pay for and it's expensive as hell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So, I'm in my office win paris, and they bought a server from Dell, but everything is in French. I can generally figure stuff out but this is killing me with error checking.

I tried installing a MUI, but, it won't install.

Am I stuck with this?

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
How can I find the vSphere version a Windows guest is running on?

I've got two different vSphere environments that people use for testing MDT deployments, 4.1 and 5. In the Task Sequence, I want to install the VMware tools, but I can't think of how I would determine what version I need to install, since WMI only returns "VMware Virtual Platform" as the model.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

quackquackquack posted:

How can I find the vSphere version a Windows guest is running on?

I've got two different vSphere environments that people use for testing MDT deployments, 4.1 and 5. In the Task Sequence, I want to install the VMware tools, but I can't think of how I would determine what version I need to install, since WMI only returns "VMware Virtual Platform" as the model.

VMware Tools is pulled from the host when you install/upgrade through vSphere, so the host will feed it whatever version is needed. Are you trying to push out the installer in some other way?

Also, the newest Tools version is compatible with both 4.x and 5 hypervisors, so you can just stick it on the template/image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
$1300 for a server license when you can buy decent 1U servers for $3000 is a bit silly. I sure hope you can get big discounts off that price...

peak debt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 26, 2012