Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

Therein lies the problem with DCU licensing. Marvel products are always heavy on Wolverine and Spider-man, but they make a point to mix in lots of other mid-card players, produce shows and lines that focus on a wide variety of characters and generally EXPAND interest in their roster of properties, rather than constantly redoubling their focus on one thing.

That's why DCD was created, to cater to the fans instead of the mainstream. The mainstream doesn't give a poo poo about 75% of the figures that were in the DCC line and that's what did them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
That's a fallback position when you've given up hope of cultivating interest in anything that isn't already carved in stone within the general cultural awareness of he population. Marvel got Iron Man, Thor and Captain America attention with decent films, then bolstered that new interest with supporting lines and additional media that have turned them into AAA properties that stand on their own.

DC took Green Lantern and pushed out a deeply mediocre film, then Mattel crapped out a confused mishmash of toys that would have had a hard time selling even IF the film had done well. The result? With a new cartoon on the market, no retailer wants to get within a mile of anything GL-related. It's just a bummer to think that the likelihood of a big DC boom like Marvel has seen with its films and products is so low becuase somebody at Warner lacks the awareness of how to expand a brand.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Having no toys for the Green lantern TV series right off the bat isn't a bad thing. Hasbro did something similar with Transformers Prime by releasing the TV show first and letting the first season finish before the toys were released. Granted the bay movies made alot of money but they were worse than Green Lantern in terms of movie quality, they were even worse than Ghost Rider.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Vaerai Archon posted:

Having no toys for the Green lantern TV series right off the bat isn't a bad thing. Hasbro did something similar with Transformers Prime by releasing the TV show first and letting the first season finish before the toys were released. Granted the bay movies made alot of money but they were worse than Green Lantern in terms of movie quality, they were even worse than Ghost Rider.
I don't think they did that intentionally to Prime, they pulled the same stupid stunt with Animated too (and it may have been part of why the last wave of toys never got released in America).

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Is masked Daken supposed to be harder to find? He's the only one I'm missing now. Prices on ebay are ridiculous.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cocks Cable posted:

Is masked Daken supposed to be harder to find? He's the only one I'm missing now. Prices on ebay are ridiculous.

Yeah, he's the tough one to find right now, as it seems none have been shipped to the US yet. Same with Bigtime Spidey aka Spinach-Man. I'd wait until you start seeing reports that people have found masked Dakan in the US before going on the hunt.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
More from Matty (via Facebook):

Matty posted:

Toy Fans,

You may have heard that the time is nearing for the end of the Young Justice toy line. While we're as bummed as you are, we want to be sure you know this doesn't in any way mean the end of DC toys from Mattel. In fact, it’s quite the opposite!

Next month kicks off not one, but two new lines: our DC Universe Club Infinite Earths subscription service dedicated to true collector characters you won't find at retail. The first shipment goes out in May and features an all-new 6" Golden Age The Flash figure. If you missed out on this awesome subscription, a limited quantity will also be available at MattyCollector.com on May 15th at 9am PT. Then, in late May, head to your local retailer and you'll find The Dark Knight Rises, a kid-targeted Batman line. And for 2013, we're planning an innovative collector-aimed line coming to retail stores.

We'll have more details as they're available. Our partnership with DC is stronger than ever and we couldn't be more excited for all the amazing new collector and kid toys to come!

So... yeah. No mentions of ANYTHING but the subscription line and tie-ins with the new Batman show for the rest of the year. I can feel my wallet swelling with unspent nerd-bucks as we speak!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, he's the tough one to find right now, as it seems none have been shipped to the US yet. Same with Bigtime Spidey aka Spinach-Man. I'd wait until you start seeing reports that people have found masked Dakan in the US before going on the hunt.

I've seen the green and black Spidey at my local TRU a couple of times. I've never seen a masked Daken.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

funtax posted:

I've seen the green and black Spidey at my local TRU a couple of times. I've never seen a masked Daken.

Should've picked it up man, though I bet you're thinking of the FF Spider-Man (black and white).

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Should've picked it up man

What the gently caress :psyduck:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It hasn't sold.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

therealjon_ posted:

It hasn't sold.

Yep. I'm also WAAAAY too lazy to ever bother scalping anything.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Louisgod posted:

Should've picked it up man, though I bet you're thinking of the FF Spider-Man (black and white).

Nope. I bought the white one because it didn't look as godawful, but I've definitely seen the green one twice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Son of a bitch. That's in-loving-sane.

Too bad the costume looks like total rear end and I'm happy with my FF Spidey.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

poo poo and I thought finding a Fantomex was the height of ML coolness this week.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Rage posted:

poo poo and I thought finding a Fantomex was the height of ML coolness this week.
I spotted a Fantomex at a local walmart last week. :smug:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Um, holy poo poo they're bringing back Battle Beasts

http://battlebeast.com/

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sba posted:

Um, holy poo poo they're bringing back Battle Beasts

http://battlebeast.com/

I feel I might have to add more shelves to my shrine room of 1980's popular culture.

Lord help us if they ever bring back Dino Riders, most people would go broke in the process(those imaginext Dino Riders dont count).

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Is there a NXM variant of Fantomex, or is it UXF only?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

What the hell kind of toy thread is this without pictures of toys? I got some swag that'll fix that.

The poses are kinda boring, but this is the about the limit of my available display space, and the paint on the mantle comes off on the boots and plastic used in Sideshow figures (the middle three are standing on sheets of paper). Not pictured: Cobra Commander and Snake Eyes v1.0, whom are in storage.

The genesis for this display, I picked him up at Emerald City last week. Only my second Joe proper, and the only one I own with an uncovered face, Flint is badass. I love all the little things like the belt buckle and numerous interchangeable velcro insignias and name patches. Those shells were a pain in the rear end to get in the bandolier, though.

Destro's Angels. Fun fact: Firefly has a whopping 16 explosives on or near his person in this picture.

The OG evil ninja himself, hunting the most dangerous game.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to C2E2 on a mission, either snag an affordable DCC LOSH set or some bargain MOTU figs. The lowest LOSH set I saw was $300 so I passed on that. I picked up a half dozen Matty MOTU guys for $20 a pop in package so that made me happy.
I also found an original Bandai Bounding Tick in package for $5 and the Big Blast Grendel and Kevin Matchstick figures for $5 each. All in all a good weekend aside from the fact that I;m going to end up blowing a grand on He-Man poo poo now.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Scored the Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VI yesterday, fuckin' Avengers figures are gonna kill my wallet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Went to C2E2 on a mission, either snag an affordable DCC LOSH set or some bargain MOTU figs. The lowest LOSH set I saw was $300 so I passed on that. I picked up a half dozen Matty MOTU guys for $20 a pop in package so that made me happy.
I also found an original Bandai Bounding Tick in package for $5 and the Big Blast Grendel and Kevin Matchstick figures for $5 each. All in all a good weekend aside from the fact that I;m going to end up blowing a grand on He-Man poo poo now.

I love my Bounding Tick. If it was only about half an inch taller, it would be drat near perfect -- a mid-'90s figure that still looks perfectly decent in a display with a bunch of DC Direct, DCUC, and Marvel Legends figures. I didn't want to mess with the Shocker Toys super-articulated Tick figure for multiple reasons, so I'm completely fine with the old Bandai version (and I prefer the head sculpt on it to Shocker's version anyway).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love my Bounding Tick. If it was only about half an inch taller, it would be drat near perfect -- a mid-'90s figure that still looks perfectly decent in a display with a bunch of DC Direct, DCUC, and Marvel Legends figures. I didn't want to mess with the Shocker Toys super-articulated Tick figure for multiple reasons, so I'm completely fine with the old Bandai version (and I prefer the head sculpt on it to Shocker's version anyway).

I still have my bounding Tick that I bought way back when the line was released but he's become discolored due to age. This new one is staying in package.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Rage posted:

Scored the Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VI yesterday, fuckin' Avengers figures are gonna kill my wallet.

Are those the special edition ones out now mixing up old parts? I haven't heard anything of a brand new one based off the new movie. So far just Hawkeye and Captain America have been shown. The rest just announced.

Got a shipping update, Joker 89 out tomorrow. :D

HT is re-releasing the Predator from the second movie.

Maybe one day we'll get a Danny Glover or Gary Busey 12". :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 16, 2012

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Xenomrph posted:

I spotted a Fantomex at a local walmart last week. :smug:

So far, I've seen them all. I just didn't think they were rare or anything. I really wish I had picked up Ghost Rider when I had the chance, though.

I picked up a Thor the other day from Wal-Mart. I was amazed it was just sitting there. And I was looking at it once I got home and was like, "Which BAF piece does this come with?" and then I started to get appalled cause there wasn't one in there.

Like, I was thinking "SOME loving POS BOUGHT THIS AT TOOK THE BAF PIECE AND BROUGHT IT BACK" and was seriously angry. So I took it back to Wal-Mart, and the dude at the customer service desk was like, "Yeah, Thor doesn't come with one. On the back, it says which ones come with which piece, and here at the end it has Thor, and doesn't say a drat thing. He's hardly even really part of this wave of figures. I thought it was weird, too"

And then I said the only thing that I could at that point. "Well, I feel like a loving idiot. I'll just keep the figure, then. x-x;"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I actually like how they're only including BAF pieces with certain figures, that way you're not obligated to buy another Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine or Spider-Man, which inevitably end up in at least every Legends wave.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Louisgod posted:

I actually like how they're only including BAF pieces with certain figures, that way you're not obligated to buy another Thor, Iron Man, Wolverine or Spider-Man, which inevitably end up in at least every Legends wave.

Yeah, it is definitely a nice change of pace. I just wish they could have made it more obvious that he didn't come with a piece. I mean, it says "TERRAX BUILD A FIGURE" on the package. I dunno. I'm just trying to make it justified that I looked like a tard. I demand justice! lol

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Are those the special edition ones out now mixing up old parts? I haven't heard anything of a brand new one based off the new movie. So far just Hawkeye and Captain America have been shown. The rest just announced.

Got a shipping update, Joker 89 out tomorrow. :D

HT is re-releasing the Predator from the second movie.

Maybe one day we'll get a Danny Glover or Gary Busey 12". :3:

The one I bought is actually the one from Iron Man 2. The new ones as far as I know don't come with anything extra/new except the one thats limited to 16 pieces in Hong Kong only that comes with a light up base. The other one is just limited to 3000 pieces and is a Hong Kong exclusive too.

The 3.75 Avengers figure line has his armor listed as the Mark VII, so my guess is we'll see another mold later this summer.

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The new one that's limited to 3000 has an Avengers base and I think the RDJ head from the Mark IV, the 16 piece one has a different Avengers light-up base. I remember seeing something about a new paint job on the promo blurb but it looked the same to me.

And yeah, the new movie has a Mark VII armor, Kotobukiya is already releasing a statue based on it, Hot Toys can't be far behind.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Where would you get the Marvel Legends line? Am I have to go diving through Amazon? I haven't seen them at Walmart around here, and there's no Toys R Us anywhere close.

Looking to get the FF Spider-Man and the blue-flame Ghost Rider. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I? :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flameingblack posted:

Where would you get the Marvel Legends line? Am I have to go diving through Amazon? I haven't seen them at Walmart around here, and there's no Toys R Us anywhere close.

Looking to get the FF Spider-Man and the blue-flame Ghost Rider. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I? :smith:

I see the,m at every local Wal-mart and there were dozens of them at C2E2 so I wouldn't worry.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Target has been getting them too, I've seen multiple Ghost Riders at local Targets here in Washington.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's no target around, either. Just two Walmart. I looked around both and nothing too interesting. One doesn't have any Marvel figures (Or Spider-Man, they were completely sold out/re-stocking) and the other just had Thor and the Blue Stealth armor for Iron Man.

They also had Klaw and Steve Rogers, but his shield was clear for some reason, and I can't find pictures of that anywhere.

Going to check out my LCS.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

They also had Klaw and Steve Rogers, but his shield was clear for some reason, and I can't find pictures of that anywhere.

The clear shield is the variant. It's his proton shield.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cocks Cable posted:

The clear shield is the variant. It's his proton shield.

Oddly the "variants" are easier to find than the normal versions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hot Toys Joker 89 arrived today --- simply LOVE IT :D

Some deets:

Jokers own wonderful toys:

Lil close up:

Love the attention to detail here:

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

drat, their sculpting just bets better and better, that is an amazing looking figure.

Also, anyone else picking up these Marvel Grab-Zags? They're mystery bagged prizes, but it's pretty easy to at least feel out which ones are figures. The figures are pretty cool, like something usually sold in Japanese vending machines. If anyone else is picking these up I'm up for trading. They have a general Marvel version out now and Avengers hitting the shelves.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Rustie posted:

Also, anyone else picking up these Marvel Grab-Zags? They're mystery bagged prizes, but it's pretty easy to at least feel out which ones are figures. The figures are pretty cool, like something usually sold in Japanese vending machines. If anyone else is picking these up I'm up for trading. They have a general Marvel version out now and Avengers hitting the shelves.

That is adorable, where do you find them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Vintersorg posted:

Hot Toys Joker 89 arrived today --- simply LOVE IT :D

Well this is just class. Love this Joker.