Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I think this film was on TCM back in October. It's an older sci-fi film, late-50s I believe. I only saw about the last half or third of it, but there's a rocket that lands on a planet, and leaves to head back to Earth. However, they don't know that they've picked up some evil alien creature on the planet. I want to say the alien was large and Sasquatch-like, but I don't have a great image of it in my head. The thing starts killing people, I think by stealing all the fluids in their body, and at first no one believes it, but soon they realize there is something nasty on board. The ship was split into a number of different levels, with ladders between them and submarine-like hatches that could be closed to section off levels. I believe the creature starts out on the cargo level, and slowly makes it way up. I remember one crewman got stuck down with it after getting injured, but was able to keep it at bay with a welding torch or flamethrower or similar device due to its fear of fire. They couldn't kill the thing with conventional means, not even these gas grenades they threw down on it. I think they end up at the top level of the ship before they come up with a plan that required one member to leave the ship at the top and climb down to the bottom in order to sneak around the beast. I think they just ended up sucking it out of the ship and into space, but I could be misremembering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was wrong, never mind.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Detective Thompson posted:

I think this film was on TCM back in October. It's an older sci-fi film, late-50s I believe. I only saw about the last half or third of it, but there's a rocket that lands on a planet, and leaves to head back to Earth. However, they don't know that they've picked up some evil alien creature on the planet. I want to say the alien was large and Sasquatch-like, but I don't have a great image of it in my head. The thing starts killing people, I think by stealing all the fluids in their body, and at first no one believes it, but soon they realize there is something nasty on board. The ship was split into a number of different levels, with ladders between them and submarine-like hatches that could be closed to section off levels. I believe the creature starts out on the cargo level, and slowly makes it way up. I remember one crewman got stuck down with it after getting injured, but was able to keep it at bay with a welding torch or flamethrower or similar device due to its fear of fire. They couldn't kill the thing with conventional means, not even these gas grenades they threw down on it. I think they end up at the top level of the ship before they come up with a plan that required one member to leave the ship at the top and climb down to the bottom in order to sneak around the beast. I think they just ended up sucking it out of the ship and into space, but I could be misremembering that.

IT! The Terror from Beyond Space, which was remade as Alien.

Farty Face
Oct 10, 2005

by angerbot
There is a movie where a military pilot goes all crazy and steals a nuclear weapon, I think from his own plane. No it's not Broken Arrow, but I guess the plot is similar.

The main thing I remember is that the guy starts going insane and the explanation they give is "he is too close to Atomz!!". Like the weapon is slowly leaking radiation into him and it's loving with his mind and making him crazy.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Farty Face posted:

There is a movie where a military pilot goes all crazy and steals a nuclear weapon, I think from his own plane. No it's not Broken Arrow, but I guess the plot is similar.

The main thing I remember is that the guy starts going insane and the explanation they give is "he is too close to Atomz!!". Like the weapon is slowly leaking radiation into him and it's loving with his mind and making him crazy.

Flight of Black Angel, perhaps?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

penismightier posted:

IT! The Terror from Beyond Space, which was remade as Alien.

Thanks!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
This may have been a starz/FX mini series, I think it predated the Eastbound and Down and the League and was about as crude as both but funnier; the main character was a fat slob who lived at home and maybe played minor league baseball or softball with his friends while trying to win some local waitress/high school flame. Sorry if that's not a lot to go off.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

cargo cult posted:

This may have been a starz/FX mini series, I think it predated the Eastbound and Down and the League and was about as crude as both but funnier; the main character was a fat slob who lived at home and maybe played minor league baseball or softball with his friends while trying to win some local waitress/high school flame. Sorry if that's not a lot to go off.

I really hope this isn't it since you mentioned it was funnier than Eastbound and Down/The League, but the description makes me think of Beer League with Artie Lange.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Haha yeah I think that's it, sorry, I probably wasn't sober when I saw it. Also I didn't mean to imply that it was funnier than Eastbound & Down but I find I can't even fake laughter when forced to watch the League with friends. Anyway, thanks. :)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I remember seeing part of a movie on TV-- I think it was like 8 or 9 years ago, but I'm not sure-- that was composed of a number of segments following different stories and characters. One was about a young Japanese couple visiting Graceland, and another was about taxi driver somewhere in Stockholm. There were probably other stories, too, but I think I only saw parts of those two.

Edit: Whoops, I combined two different films-- the one with the Japanese couple is Mystery Train. I don't know where the other bit came from, but "an anthology film with a taxi driver" isn't much of a description.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 13, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rincewind posted:

I remember seeing part of a movie on TV-- I think it was like 8 or 9 years ago, but I'm not sure-- that was composed of a number of segments following different stories and characters. One was about a young Japanese couple visiting Graceland, and another was about taxi driver somewhere in Stockholm. There were probably other stories, too, but I think I only saw parts of those two.

Edit: Whoops, I combined two different films-- the one with the Japanese couple is Mystery Train. I don't know where the other bit came from, but "an anthology film with a taxi driver" isn't much of a description.

It sounds like Night on Earth (Stockholm, Helsinki, what's the difference?).

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Night on Earth, by the writer/director of Mystery Train.

Edit: Goddamnit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
1. I'm looking for a foreign sci-fi film. I only saw the ending, where two stalker types (in the Roadside Picnic sense) are talking outdoors. One of them seems to have lost his will to live. He takes off his gas mask under a tree outside and expires. The other one trudges off and the credits roll.

I can't remember what language it was. I want to say German or Russian. The film process seemed to be very dull and muted, maybe sepia toned.

2. A horror movie, of which I remember a sequence of scenes toward the end involving:
- some evil wizard that was trying to coerce a kid to do something
- as a threat, he curses the kid's friend by having her fingers grow and twist and entwine themselves. Maybe the hands light on fire? There's some fire going on somewhere
- there's some big catepillars crawling around waiting to get inside people
- cuts down victims' stomachs, where I think the catepillars would crawl in

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
There was this non-english film I saw years ago. For some reason, it seems to me that it was in Russian.

Anyway, in the final scene, the guy's friends show up to surprise him for his birthday or something. One of them has a blow-up doll. The friends sing to him for a moment and then leave. The guy, for whatever reason, gets in his car, races after them, and rams them off the road. Eventually, he flips their car. Only then does he pull out the body of the dead driver and realize it's the wrong car. He holds the body and shouts for help as the credits roll. Needless to say, it's a really dark movie.

This is a scene I've remembered for years, and I'm about 90% sure that I didn't make it up. Lil' help?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

1. I'm looking for a foreign sci-fi film. I only saw the ending, where two stalker types (in the Roadside Picnic sense) are talking outdoors. One of them seems to have lost his will to live. He takes off his gas mask under a tree outside and expires. The other one trudges off and the credits roll.

I can't remember what language it was. I want to say German or Russian. The film process seemed to be very dull and muted, maybe sepia toned.

This is kinda scary because I might have just come in here to ask about the very same film, only with a few other details that may mark it as something else.

From the gist of it I think there's a worldwide airborne plague so two guys in full body hazmat suits are wandering around some desolate dump. I think they enter an abandoned building where one of them picks up a photograph. As he does that he gets a cut in his hazmat suit which he later notices, which is why he takes off the mask. Pretty sure there was a conversation or something about how this would be the first time the other guy has seen his face.

I really think it's the same film. May have been a short even.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Hi guys. I was a hundred or so pages in the GBS thread about this and I didn't see anything. Forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

I remember this movie when I was no older than 5 or 6, so that'd be late 80s/early 90s. I assume it's a children's movie/show since my parents would rent it for me. I don't remember the plot at all but it involved guys with a button on their chest that activated robotic/metal suits of armor. It's entirely possible that their button or armor suits were somehow related to an animal; like, 'this is the lion-guy' or 'this dude is an eagle'.

The only snippet of plot I remember is that one of the guys betrays someone else and they fight, with one dude possibly being kicked into a bookcase.

This is super vague and possibly a figment of my imagination, but I'd sure love your help.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Trevor Hale posted:

Hi guys. I was a hundred or so pages in the GBS thread about this and I didn't see anything. Forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

I remember this movie when I was no older than 5 or 6, so that'd be late 80s/early 90s. I assume it's a children's movie/show since my parents would rent it for me. I don't remember the plot at all but it involved guys with a button on their chest that activated robotic/metal suits of armor. It's entirely possible that their button or armor suits were somehow related to an animal; like, 'this is the lion-guy' or 'this dude is an eagle'.

The only snippet of plot I remember is that one of the guys betrays someone else and they fight, with one dude possibly being kicked into a bookcase.

This is super vague and possibly a figment of my imagination, but I'd sure love your help.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Mr. 47 posted:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

No. Not that. This would be a good 6-7 years before that hit the air. Also, it was lower tech...possibly with adults and not kids.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ok, this was a pretty bad action movie (might've been for kids) from the early 90s (or at least that's when I watched it).

The only other thing I remember is the villain. His backstory is he had a giant red fro, until he dived or was thrown off a hotel balcony into an empty pool, on his head. Most of his skull had to be replaced with a metal plate, that he frequently liked to be sanded or polished. This left a fringe of gangly red hair around his head.

Any ideas?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Ok, this was a pretty bad action movie (might've been for kids) from the early 90s (or at least that's when I watched it).

The only other thing I remember is the villain. His backstory is he had a giant red fro, until he dived or was thrown off a hotel balcony into an empty pool, on his head. Most of his skull had to be replaced with a metal plate, that he frequently liked to be sanded or polished. This left a fringe of gangly red hair around his head.

Any ideas?

Mr Nanny with Hulk Hogan.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Trevor Hale posted:

Sounds like it could be one of any number of "tokusatsu" shows that came out of Japan around that time, like Kamen Rider, Metal Hero, or Ultraman.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Trevor Hale posted:

No. Not that. This would be a good 6-7 years before that hit the air. Also, it was lower tech...possibly with adults and not kids.

This also sounds sort of like The Guyver or its sequel.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I'm hoping someone is old enough to remember this or has seen it somewhere.

The movie starts out in the future with a prisoner escaping, and taking a collection of armbands with him to present day (80s? 90s?) america. Whenever the prisoner is killed, the armbands revive him highlander style, complete with regenerating head gibs. The prisoner spends his time either avenging or finding his wife. There's a scene where he tries stealing a cop car. In it, one of the two officers fires a warning shot from behind at him. He "misses" and blows the prisoners brains all over the car. There may or may not be another person (villain) with these magic armbands.

That's as much as I remember of it. I watched it when I was like 10-13 on the scifi channel. That would put it around 1997-2000 range. I can't say it was particularly good but I'd like to see it again for nostalgic purposes if it still exists in some form.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrGreenShirt posted:

Sounds like it could be one of any number of "tokusatsu" shows that came out of Japan around that time, like Kamen Rider, Metal Hero, or Ultraman.

Could also be Visionaries, I suppose.

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

A Lamer posted:

I'm hoping someone is old enough to remember this or has seen it somewhere.

The movie starts out in the future with a prisoner escaping, and taking a collection of armbands with him to present day (80s? 90s?) america. Whenever the prisoner is killed, the armbands revive him highlander style, complete with regenerating head gibs. The prisoner spends his time either avenging or finding his wife. There's a scene where he tries stealing a cop car. In it, one of the two officers fires a warning shot from behind at him. He "misses" and blows the prisoners brains all over the car. There may or may not be another person (villain) with these magic armbands.

That's as much as I remember of it. I watched it when I was like 10-13 on the scifi channel. That would put it around 1997-2000 range. I can't say it was particularly good but I'd like to see it again for nostalgic purposes if it still exists in some form.

Sounds like Last Lives.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

ProfessorMurder posted:

Sounds like Last Lives.

http://movies.tvguide.com/last-lives/review/133829

Yep, based on this synopsis this is definitely it. Thank you. :)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Trying to figure out two movies I saw when I was pretty young, and as such I only have very vague recollections of them. I believe both came out in the mid to late-80s, and both are horror movies.

For the first one I think what I remember happened near the end of it. I seem to recall a man going into a house that was the big bad guy's house. It was just a regular house in a suburban neighborhood, but the evil guy was hiding out or whatever. I think the man had a small camera, either hand held or strapped to his head (similar to the Marines in Aliens), and the image was being sent to a van where a small team of people were watching. I remember him opening a refrigerator, and there was a head in it, but I think it was a dog's head. The next part I remember must be more or less the end, because the bad guy was on the roof of the house, and police had surrounded it, and had spotlights on the villain. And I want to say the bad guy was really pale, maybe disfigured or monstrous looking, not exactly human. Maybe he gets hit by lightning on the roof?

Next one I think took place in a nunnery or a monastery or something like that, located in a city. I remember religious imagery was important. A group of people, men and women, were investigating the place, I think something to do with rumors of supernatural stuff going on. I think I recall at one point we see a cat or a pigeon crucified, and Satan's hand coming through a mirror/portal, though I may be confusing those images from another movie. At some point I believe the building was cut off from the outside world. The ending, I think, was meant to look like it was shot on video, with one of the team narrating something to the outside world while the shot moved through the building. I think the last thing we see is Jesus, like the actual dude and not a statue.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Next one I think took place in a nunnery or a monastery or something like that, located in a city. I remember religious imagery was important. A group of people, men and women, were investigating the place, I think something to do with rumors of supernatural stuff going on. I think I recall at one point we see a cat or a pigeon crucified, and Satan's hand coming through a mirror/portal, though I may be confusing those images from another movie. At some point I believe the building was cut off from the outside world. The ending, I think, was meant to look like it was shot on video, with one of the team narrating something to the outside world while the shot moved through the building. I think the last thing we see is Jesus, like the actual dude and not a statue.
Sounds like Prince of Darkness.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

Sounds like Prince of Darkness.

After watching the trailer, this is definitely it. Thanks! I've been thinking about that one for a long time now. Guess I was wrong about Jesus, though, since that dude doesn't look too holy from the trailer.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
This movie is from the 90s, I believe. Anyway, I think it's about loot from some robbery a couple of friends find. At first they agree to be silent about it, and share everything, but then everyone starts killing everybody. Or something. I remember lots of snow. Maybe a sheriff and a hunt?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Simple Plan

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

caiman posted:

A Simple Plan

Holy poo poo that was fast. I looked for films with Bill Pullman, turns out it was the Paxton dude. Thanks a lot!

bartok
May 10, 2006

Trying to remember a French action film that is similar to Assault on Precinct 13.
It involves a group of parkouring thieves being forced to work with a couple of police officers to prevent a horde of well equipped assassins from rescuing their leader.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chunky Delight posted:

Trying to remember a French action film that is similar to Assault on Precinct 13.
It involves a group of parkouring thieves being forced to work with a couple of police officers to prevent a horde of well equipped assassins from rescuing their leader.

Probably District 13

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

MrGreenShirt posted:

Guh. I'm so sorry to keep saying no. It was western; definitely not an import. It's also possible that it was in some way connected to a line of toys, as I remember a commercial for the toys on the VHS before the movie.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Probably District 13

No that's not it. If it helps it is something Hornet or Swarm.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

Maybe Captain Power?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Mr Nanny with Hulk Hogan.

:lol: Wow, that is obscure. Never would have guessed it, I was trying to remember if it was The Last Action Hero or something. Thanks!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm kinda pissed off because I posted in the original thread then forgot to go back to it and now I can't find it to see if anyone answered my query :argh:

Anyway, the film I'm trying to identify is a WW2 movie. It's very very much like Band of Brothers but probably made in the 80's/90's and it's about a bunch of soldiers who become separated from the rest of their platoon etc.

There's two things I distinctly remember. A walk through a pine forest and the fact they end up staying in a large old house in the middle of nowhere for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
A Midnight Clear?