Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Where's a good no-gi BJJ place in Brisbane for a reasonably experienced white belt? My mate wants to get back into BJJ, Advance only did like 1 no-gi class a week or something from memory... and didn't everyone leave there or something?

He could try integrated, they're primarily no-gi/mma focused: http://www.integratedmma.com/

They're a bit too aggressive in the way they train, but they put out some good fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

In other things: how long in boxing before I can start thinking about sparring? Hitting stuff is cool but I really want to start getting comfortable getting punches coming at me.

It varies between coaches. I see nothing wrong with light sparring after the first week if they know the basics and aren't too gun shy. Ask your coach and let him know you want to spar, that'll get you in there sooner.

gimpsuitjones posted:

Any tips for dropping some weight quickly?

Try to get close to 5 pounds over by Thursday. Drink plenty of water in the days leading up to it, but don't drink anything until after your workout on Thursday. Do some padwork to get a sweat going, put on sweats and a sauna suit and cycle/run, then sit in a sauna with the suit for a little bit. Drink about a cup of water and eat enough food, you should drop a pound or two overnight. If you're over the limit by the next morning, you still have time before weigh ins.

Don't make the mistake of starving yourself. You're better off having to drop a couple more pounds on Friday than not getting enough food.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Speaking of foods, can any of you that train consistently tell me what you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I train bjj anywhere from 4-7 nights a week and a lot of times just feel really lethargic.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Had my first (light) sparring session last night and holy.poo poo. Talk about a humbling experience. It's like what little I knew went out the door and I was in total panic mode, it was all I could manage to try and keep my hands up and throw a few jabs and a cross. First round was with the instructor so he put in some solid hits, kicked in the head (lightly), constant jabs to the face. I don't think I even got a hit in except for maybe a leg kick. The worst was double & triple jabs just pegging me in the face and my only thought was "gently caress! How do I make it stop!?" haha.

Good times, look forward to more. It's funny though, as :gay: as this sounds I felt really...emotional, I guess...afterwards. I think it's the first time I've been hit, even lightly, in the face in probably 10 years. Is that feeling normal? Or is it just because I'm a giant pussy and will toughen up? :unsmith:

Semi-related, prior we had practiced some head kicks and I am so not flexible it is pretty sad. The highest I could go with a roundhouse was maybe mid-chest, it actually kind of hurt trying to aim higher. Are there any good stretches or techniques I can practice at home to try and curb it? Even my fiancee can kick my head and she doesn't even train anything. :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TollTheHounds posted:

Are there any good stretches or techniques I can practice at home to try and curb it? Even my fiancee can kick my head and she doesn't even train anything. :smith:

Dynamic split stretches, lunges, even just controlled swinging your leg upward. Even without chasing more flexibility on the side, you will be able kick higher just by practicing your kicks over and over on the bag.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

TollTheHounds posted:

Good times, look forward to more. It's funny though, as :gay: as this sounds I felt really...emotional, I guess...afterwards. I think it's the first time I've been hit, even lightly, in the face in probably 10 years. Is that feeling normal? Or is it just because I'm a giant pussy and will toughen up? :unsmith:

You'll get used to it! Being 'emotional' after getting beat up isn't something to be ashamed of, it's simply something you're unused to. I'm not a professional in psychology, but I think it sounds reasonable that after however many minutes of the probably adrenaline fueled beating you were on the receiving end of, you'd feel somewhat drained and/or literally shocked afterwards when the adrenaline starts leaving your system.

As far as it being, normal, I reckon it probably is, and I've definitely heard about it several times before. People probably have different ways of dealing with it. I've seen a grown man tear up after being choked out in a triangle because it, as he put it, showed him how easily another person could take his life and it scared the piss out of him.

(Being choked out is actually pretty baller and you get this totally sweet head rush as you wake up again, so long as you don't feel like you're about to- or actually pee yourself)

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 17, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Sometimes I think about how glad I am I started martial arts young enough that I never consider how many times I've been pretend killed and maimed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

origami posted:

Speaking of foods, can any of you that train consistently tell me what you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I train bjj anywhere from 4-7 nights a week and a lot of times just feel really lethargic.

I get this too training that much. I've never found a good solution except slowing down for a week or two to recover. I guess to could start juicing.

Oops double posted.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 17, 2012

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I think a big part of training is learning who plays nice and who doesn't. I have a list of dudes in my mind that I always consciously avoid because I know they have no self control and are just way too intense (and not even good) for practice.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Dude, go watch little kids in their first grappling tournament. Without fail, one of them is going to cry because of the overwhelming emotions brought up in a conflict situation.

Don't worry about it, it means that you're not a robot. This will pass, forging you into the perfect killing machine. :v:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Or watch me in a grappling tournament, I just cry the whole time

mewse
May 2, 2006

They say tears can help prevent black eyes, is that true? I'm not usually crying when sparring

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Thanks for the reassurance! I figured it might be adrenaline or something but I suppose it may just be that I've never really been in any stand-up fights except for a few times I was a kid. So actually getting punched and kicked, regardless of the power level, is so foreign.

I took BJJ for a year and a half before stopping and I didn't really get the same feeling after rolling, even the first few times. I don't know if it was just because there was so much more rolling or if it's because me and my friends would wrestle all the time as kids/teenagers that it's no big deal to get choked out.

In any case, it's exactly what I was looking for, and is the reason I wanted to do something with sparring. I just didn't really expect to get so worked up, it took me a good hour sitting on the couch watching TV to calm down.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

TollTheHounds posted:

In any case, it's exactly what I was looking for, and is the reason I wanted to do something with sparring. I just didn't really expect to get so worked up, it took me a good hour sitting on the couch watching TV to calm down.

That really sounds like you were coming down off a massive adrenaline rush. Don't sweat it, you get used to it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

TollTheHounds posted:

I just didn't really expect to get so worked up, it took me a good hour sitting on the couch watching TV to calm down.

Haha, this reminds me of the first fight I broke up when I worked the solo night shift at a gas station years ago.
It was about 3am on a weekend, and as usual all the obnoxious drunk people that were leaving the bars always stopped in to buy hot dogs and poo poo before they went home.
I had two groups of drunk duders waiting in line for their loving hot dogs, and what started as a little bit shuffling in the back escalates to spitting, death threats and wild swinging punches in like 30 seconds, and without even thinking about it I just dropped what I was doing, went around the register and grabbed the dude that made the death threats by the neck of his jacket and physically pulled him out of the store.

It wasn't until everyone left that I realised what a horribly bad move it is to bully your way past two hostile groups and loving grab one of the offending parties without even considering that you could end up being piled upon by drunken savages with severely limited critical thinking skills.
I think my hands were shaking for an hour afterwards, I even lit my first and last cigarette in a wasted attempt to calm my nerves, and I had to change my shirt because I was sweating so much for no reason at all. Stress and adrenaline is pretty funny.

It's worth noting that this was before I had any real martial arts experience and I was probably smaller and weaker than everyone else involved!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

That really sounds like you were coming down off a massive adrenaline rush. Don't sweat it, you get used to it.

It even happens to Houston Alexander!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOaYrGxPs2U&t=336s

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2012

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

origami posted:

Make sure you eat enough fat and protein, it's easy to go overboard on the carbs. Whey protein, peanut butter, and whole milk are my primary supplements. Other than that, stay away from sugar and just eat clean in general.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

Make sure you eat enough fat and protein, it's easy to go overboard on the carbs. Whey protein, peanut butter, and whole milk are my primary supplements. Other than that, stay away from sugar and just eat clean in general.

What he said. Also, if you're weightlifting aswell you'd do best to eat between 1 - 1.5 g of protein per lb of bodyweight. For most of us thats 180-300g of protein. I'm by no means super knowledgeable on nutrition, but it made a huge different to me going from 180g of protein a day to 250-300. Shoulders got way bigger and my lats too. Ask LifeSpanVoid in the bodybuilding thread if you have a more specific question or want to see if your diet is lacking anything obvious.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There are a bunch of good articles on nutrition for athletes here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

I've been following his 'weight loss for athletes', where he suggested something like
20-25% fat, as much protein as you need depending on your bodyweight, and then use carbs to fill in whatever's left. (Nierbo's protein calculation above is correct.)

This kind of diet owns for me personally because I can still eat bread and stuff as long as I don't eat a million muffins, and I can eat an enormous amount of meat/chilli/that kind of thing as long as I keep up some physical activity.

I lost ten kilos since december doing this, so it's working pretty well. I've been lifting, but not training.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
The Grappler's Guide to Sport Nutrition by Berardi and Fry is an outstanding book for any combat sport athlete. It covers the basics on eating, has specific diet plans and has a section on cutting weight.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Update to my rehab from shoulder injury from BJJ for anyone else doing rehab. I started swimming after a 10 year hiatus (swam competively as a kid) and its really been awesome for my shoulder. I would say mostly for the psychological aspect of rotating my shoulder and having it above my head, and Im worried this is going to be the worst part of all this. I still cringe if I push off with my left arm or do anything that puts weight on it, despite the surgery and from what I understand it to be almost fully healed.

In the next few weeks I'm starting kickboxing again, only focus pad/drills for now, maybe light sparring in a few weeks. I was told by my physiotherapist that shadowboxing is fine, and some bag work, so I imagine any sort of focus pads would be good too to focus on technique. June is so so very close and I can't wait to get back into rolling again. Im looking at my next comp in September.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

swagger like us posted:

Update to my rehab from shoulder injury from BJJ for anyone else doing rehab. I started swimming after a 10 year hiatus (swam competively as a kid) and its really been awesome for my shoulder. I would say mostly for the psychological aspect of rotating my shoulder and having it above my head, and Im worried this is going to be the worst part of all this. I still cringe if I push off with my left arm or do anything that puts weight on it, despite the surgery and from what I understand it to be almost fully healed.

In the next few weeks I'm starting kickboxing again, only focus pad/drills for now, maybe light sparring in a few weeks. I was told by my physiotherapist that shadowboxing is fine, and some bag work, so I imagine any sort of focus pads would be good too to focus on technique. June is so so very close and I can't wait to get back into rolling again. Im looking at my next comp in September.

I've had to get my right shoulder fixed due to a torn labrum and SLAP injury. It took me four months of (intensive) rehad to go from surgery to rolling again. I did wait a couple of months longer to start MMA again.

Swimming was recommended to me by my surgeon as a relatively safe way to excercizing again (crawl, not breast stroke). Good luck with your rehab!

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
Re: post sparring

I can usually barely do anything. Going back to work is tough. It's probably an adrenaline thing, you get pretty wound up in the ring.

I got destroyed this week. It was a combination of a lot of things: I couldn't see properly out the top of my headgear so couldn't tuck my chin; it was the guy's first time in the ring and he was going much harder than me; and i kept hesitating kicking because he didn't have a cup on and I clipped him in the nuts, every time I did he would nail me.

Apparently I have a black eye, but it's barely noticeable and it could just be bags from tiredness.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
All this nutrition talk seems to miss that it's so much more practical to just live off bread and frozen pizza.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Bohemian Nights posted:

All this nutrition talk seems to miss that it's so much more practical to just live off bread and frozen pizza.

This is really really true

I've been trying to go super low carb without restricting actual calorie intake, I'm not sure it's going to work for me, I don't think low carb diets are designed with the activity level I'm at in mind... ie yesterday 1hr run at 6am, midday 1hr boxing, evening 3hrs muay thai technique/circuits. I feel like my recovery and energy levels are suffering.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

gimpsuitjones posted:

I feel like my recovery and energy levels are suffering.

They're pretty much the first things to go (and potentially the most important).

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

In other things: how long in boxing before I can start thinking about sparring? Hitting stuff is cool but I really want to start getting comfortable getting punches coming at me.

A few weeks is fine if your sparring partners are not psychos.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKvBzcL7PI&feature=related

A mini documentary on Robson Moura with a lot of abstract talk about jujitsu as a lifestyle. It's really good! I wish there were more videos like this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ligur posted:

A few weeks is fine if your sparring partners are not psychos.

I met a guy that used to do bjj and he offered to spar with me later this week. Hopefully it will work out and I can pick stuff up from him.

My friend that started boxing with me is not quite so psyched to spar and everyone else at the gym is way more experienced. So it would help to kind of have an "in".

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I met a guy that used to do bjj and he offered to spar with me later this week. Hopefully it will work out and I can pick stuff up from him.

My friend that started boxing with me is not quite so psyched to spar and everyone else at the gym is way more experienced. So it would help to kind of have an "in".

You'll do fine. When you start sparring you're like a virgin fumbling with a girl's bra strap, the only risk is that you're a total spaz and you hurt somebody.

When I sparred for the first time with my coach the only thing he told me afterwards was that I held myself together well and didn't break down. My skills were and are still atrocious but that's how you learn..

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'm honestly not worried. Maybe it's false confidence that will melt once I'm in there but I'm just looking forward to seeing how it feels to get in the ring and really box.

Bjj has already taken my pride in a thousand ways, I know I'll suck and be dumb, could be why I'm not all freaked out.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Don't spar with another beginner, you're way more likely to get hurt or hurt someone if you both don't know what you're doing

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

IratelyBlank posted:

I think a big part of training is learning who plays nice and who doesn't. I have a list of dudes in my mind that I always consciously avoid because I know they have no self control and are just way too intense (and not even good) for practice.

I'll avoid them most of the time, but every once an a while I'll suck it up and go with them because I think it's worth knowing what it's like to be totally overwhelmed sometimes and just focus on keeping my wits around me as I get beat up. That might just be me trying to overcompensate for being bad by trying to be a tough guy though. And if I have to spar with them all the time that can just gently caress right off.

It's taken four months, but I think my shins finally toughened up a bit. I got some bruises on them right now that are there, but even though they're fresh they still barely hurt. It's weird.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gimpsuitjones posted:

Don't spar with another beginner, you're way more likely to get hurt or hurt someone if you both don't know what you're doing

True for basically every martial art. It isn't the experienced guys going at it 100% that cause most injuries, it is the beginners that are trying stuff out for the first few times.

attackmole posted:

every once an a while I'll suck it up and go with them because I think it's worth knowing what it's like to be totally overwhelmed sometimes and just focus on keeping my wits around me as I get beat up.

I can't totally agree with this - there is a difference between guys that are just a level above you that totally school you and guys who don't have control and just go wild. The first are a group you can learn from and should definitely put yourself against from time to time. The second is a group that is to be avoided whenever possible until you are very, very confident in your abilities.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 19, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sparred with two guys, way way better than me. They threw like two hard shots a piece (probably not even that hard) and treated me really well. I wasn't scared but just...keyed up. Like I did a ton of stuff I know is dumb but just couldn't stop and everything seemed too fast.

It's frustrating to me though because I just need more reps and I feel like I can get it, maybe pretty well. I want to box like bjj and spar ten times a day.

After I finished, one of the trainers was laughing that I snuck into the ring early. I think it was a good move because now they know I'm serious about doing it right.
The only highlight: I stuck both guys with an Anderson Silva forrest griffin jab. I slid back but planted on my front leg and threw a stiff left hand when they followed. YouTube striking: +1

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

It's frustrating to me though because I just need more reps and I feel like I can get it, maybe pretty well. I want to box like bjj and spar ten times a day.

I would definitely recommend this if you are up for it and have enough willing sparring partners. The more sparring, the better. Take a day or two off and work on technique if you start getting headaches.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Thoguh posted:

True for basically every martial art. It isn't the experienced guys going at it 100% that cause most injuries, it is the beginners that are trying stuff out for the first few times.

I can't totally agree with this - there is a difference between guys that are just a level above you that totally school you and guys who don't have control and just go wild. The first are a group you can learn from and should definitely put yourself against from time to time. The second is a group that is to be avoided whenever possible until you are very, very confident in your abilities.

That makes sense. Yeah, I don't wanna advocate anything dangerous. There's one guy at my gym who's way better than me and also tends to spar hard and that's kinda who I was thinking about when I wrote it.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
I need more heavyweight guys in my Judo class. I'm pretty sure that being a good 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier than the next biggest guy is just establishing bad habits for me.
Me and two other people in the class who've shown interest in going to tournaments had the privilege today of having 3 minute sparring matches against whoever felt up to the challenge, and 4 more immediately afterwards with no time to rest. It was really fun, even if I spent a majority of the time in the last matches just manhandling the other guys in a direction so I could lean on them and catch my breath for a second. Something I've been doing is that I'll bait the other guy into performing an osoto gari on me by having my legs in a good position to be taken advantage of, and then when they try to reap my leg I just shift my weight to knock them off balance and use their set up to perform the throw on them instead. I feel like this is an awful tactic because it will never work against any one who's more proficient than me or can actually knock me off balance moderately well.
It still makes me feel pretty great though, 'cuz I have a great leg reap.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

Sparred with two guys, way way better than me. They threw like two hard shots a piece (probably not even that hard) and treated me really well. I wasn't scared but just...keyed up. Like I did a ton of stuff I know is dumb but just couldn't stop and everything seemed too fast.

After I finished, one of the trainers was laughing that I snuck into the ring early. I think it was a good move because now they know I'm serious about doing it right.
The only highlight: I stuck both guys with an Anderson Silva forrest griffin jab. I slid back but planted on my front leg and threw a stiff left hand when they followed. YouTube striking: +1

I want to write way more but in a hurry so you don't have to read through my blathering, but as you said earlier BJJ has already prepared you for pain and humiliation: This is an extremely helpful condition to have when starting boxing. I think almost a must if you want to learn fast, otherwise you have to soak in all the pain, helplessness and impotence while practicing to box - but with BJJ (or MT or whatever) behind you, you are already at ease with all of that. It'll always be fast, too fast, but what you learn over time is how to anticipate what a boxer would do. The really cool slips and evasions in boxing are not superior mutant reflexes, it's intelligence and good chess moves where the person who performs the stunning move was just two steps ahead, not necessarily amped up on meth or that much faster.

This helped me out a TON: just catch punches with your forehead and COUNTER - *BANG*. When sparring with better boxers you can't help but get struck, there's no way unless you just run away and eventually jump out of the ring, and never has the rule "you have to take one to give one" been more true. When you discipline yourself to eat a few punches which should be easy for a BJJ practitioner, say, "semi-slipping" so they don't land flush while also positioning yourself so that you can hit back, you're on the right track.

If you decide to or HAVE to take the punches, take it on the massive thick bone that is your forehead and keep your hands up at your jawline (so your fists can either punch or protect you, both at the same time). The fist of your opponent will break or get hurt gloves and wraps and sparring tempo and all much faster than your head. As long as your jaw is tucked so your head won't snap back. If you are not sparring too hard, you won't even feel strikes to your forehead in a short while. It's like someone blowing smoke at your face. Also... remember to vigorously rub your nose, ears and cheek before boxing sparring to get the blood flowing. This stops nosebleeds and takes the sting out of punches.

Then this: 90% of the punches that land won't be ones that start a TKO sequence or KO you anyway, not even in the ring with pro rules if you roll with the punches. Everytime someone throws a punch at you try to slip it and step inside so you can punch back and get EVEN. (Unless you're resting: you can do "resting" in boxing just by keeping your hands up, jaw tucked and walking around the ring, yes seriously walking... meanwhile your opponent exhausts himself throwing flurries at someone with his head down, hands up, balance low, and who is just moving away, causing no damage.)

After all that when you start feeling even a little comfortable - and you probably are alredy - have fun, try weird slips, odd shots from weird angles - Anderson Silva poo poo, fool around and laugh. When you smile and laugh you relax, and when you are relaxed boxing is so, so much more fun and easy and less tiring than it is to these way way tense guys who try to "win", tense their upper body like they were built out of rock and can't accept being hit at.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnwayne'smom
Oct 16, 2004
i wish i had an evil twin

Bohemian Nights posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKvBzcL7PI&feature=related

A mini documentary on Robson Moura with a lot of abstract talk about jujitsu as a lifestyle. It's really good! I wish there were more videos like this.

thanks for sharing this it's awesome!

• Locked thread