Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Effingham posted:

Hey, there was at least a hint of a nekkid RepliCarter. That gets points from me.

Amanda Tapping-that.

I too get off on mindless robot women naked and covered in slime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Finally! I'm not alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tsaedje posted:

I too get off on mindless robot women naked and covered in slime

She wasn't mindless! She'd been copied from Normal Carter!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rhyno posted:

She wasn't mindless! She'd been copied from Normal Carter!

:eng101: in a later episode it is revealed that Fifth uploaded selected memories into repli-Carter in stages.

WHY DO I KNOW THIS?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tsaedje posted:

Can we all agree that repli-Carter was the worst idea ever?

The Ori were still worse than that, as bad as Replicarter was.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
did they ever explain how the replicators got to the Asgard galaxy? As I vaguely recall, the Ancients "created" them to fight the wraith in the Pegasus galaxy, put them on ice for reasons I can't remember, they somehow evolve to humanoid form and chillout for a few million years on their own planet before Atlantis re-activates them. But then why did the insect version go fly out to the Asgard galaxy, and want to "evolve" to humanoid form...

ugh, it was just such a terrible idea for both SG1 and Atlantis to decide that replicators want to be humanoid, it would have been so much cooler if they strove for Ascension in some sort of mega-replicator, Death star form. Ori vs replicator would have been pretty awesome too - did that ever happen?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

spronk posted:

did they ever explain how the replicators got to the Asgard galaxy? As I vaguely recall, the Ancients "created" them to fight the wraith in the Pegasus galaxy, put them on ice for reasons I can't remember, they somehow evolve to humanoid form and chillout for a few million years on their own planet before Atlantis re-activates them. But then why did the insect version go fly out to the Asgard galaxy, and want to "evolve" to humanoid form...

Those replicators were constructed by the android Reese. The "real" replicators are the ones that were found in the pegasus galaxy.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
The human form replicators ruined the replicators completely.

The little bug one where a great enemy to have. No emotion, no thoughts, no plans or strategy. Just gather resources and spread.

Then they hosed it all up by giving them emotions and a bunch of emo bullshit.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Bug replicators and the android Reese were both created in the Milky Way.

The Asgards found the replicators somewhere and took them to study. They broke containment somehow and probably went straight for the Asgard galaxy since it has the highest tech available.

I think they hinted that the creators of Reese were Ancients who may or may not have created the Atlantis Replicators. Not sure how exactly the timing works though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

IRQ posted:

You forgot the giant :smug:.

I'm sorry if you believe that all majors are created equal. :smug:

Everyone has different skills, yes. I can no more get an A in a creative writing class than my brother can get an A in a quantum mechanics class. That said, there is something to be said about that some majors can drink themselves into oblivion on a weeknight... whereas others cannot.

Tsaedje posted:

Can we all agree that repli-Carter was the worst idea ever?

So did you just skip the episode "Holiday"? What about "Emancipation"? "Spirits"?

You get the idea.

By the way, I wish they brought back Arris Bock or whatever his name was.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 12, 2012

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Midnight- posted:

The human form replicators ruined the replicators completely.

The little bug one where a great enemy to have. No emotion, no thoughts, no plans or strategy. Just gather resources and spread.

Then they hosed it all up by giving them emotions and a bunch of emo bullshit.

It's like they didn't learn from Star Trek at all.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

vote_no posted:

It's like they didn't learn from Star Trek at all.

Given that the arc of the series seemed to be be a rush to embrace more and more of Star Trek's mistakes, this isn't really a surprise. Even as a kid I knew something was wrong the first time they had to eject the warp core.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

JetsGuy posted:

So did you just skip the episode "Holiday"? What about "Emancipation"? "Spirits"?

You get the idea.

By the way, I wish they brought back Arris Bock or whatever his name was.

Urgo.

Arris Bock was that bounty hunter, right? I liked him a lot too, that episode was fun.

I dunno if anyone's still following my dumb blog, but I'm still chugging through... at about a snail's pace... mid-season 5 right now, still enjoying the show very much :)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
All three shows needed more Harry Maybourne, maybe even a sitcom spinoff with him and Jack.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
SG1's "200" just aired on SPACE; it's been over 3 years since I've seen that episode and I'm not sure whether I hate it or love it now.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
One of SG1's many strengths was its recurring guest characters - both allies and enemies. There are more than just these but Bra'tac, Jacob, Maybourne, Thor, Kinsey, Colonel Chekov, Thor, Baal and Yu all stand out (Yu's servant was pretty cool as well). In lots of other shows they would have just been one off characters, the universe feels much more 'real' with more than just the core cast being developed characters.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 13, 2012

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

vandelay industries posted:

SG1's "200" just aired on SPACE; it's been over 3 years since I've seen that episode and I'm not sure whether I hate it or love it now.

What is there not to love?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

So, a friend of mine finally got to the finale of SGU and the discussion of it has left me wanting new Stargate again. I really wish that show wouldn't have been cancelled, because it really was hitting its stride in a big way.

Too bad I'm not filthy rich, or I'd revive the franchise myself. :colbert:

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

eating only apples posted:

Arris Bock was that bounty hunter, right? I liked him a lot too, that episode was fun.
The best Stargate bounty hunter was Hans Olo.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

DFu4ever posted:

So, a friend of mine finally got to the finale of SGU and the discussion of it has left me wanting new Stargate again. I really wish that show wouldn't have been cancelled, because it really was hitting its stride in a big way.

It was, and I was starting to like it... but it was never Stargate. It took place in the universe :v:, but it was never fun and witty. That's the Stargate I'd want to see brought back. What's Joe Flanigan doing these days, anyway?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

vote_no posted:

It was, and I was starting to like it... but it was never Stargate. It took place in the universe :v:, but it was never fun and witty. That's the Stargate I'd want to see brought back. What's Joe Flanigan doing these days, anyway?

He was on an episode of fringe earlier this season for about 2 minutes.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Drizzt01 posted:

I read in an interview with Joe at gateworld.net last year and stated that he's lucky that he's now in a position that he can "pick and choose" his projects. But he's only been in like a few lovely Syfy TV movies and that Fringe appearance soooo ... I'm not really sure what he means by that?

He also said he wants be the lead in an action TV series, which I REALLY hope comes to fruition.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Urgo.

How dare you. That episode rules. :mad:

Yes.

I dunno if anyone's still following my dumb blog, but I'm still chugging through... at about a snail's pace... mid-season 5 right now, still enjoying the show very much :)

I completely forgot about this, but I'm glad it's still called "You Referred to me as Lucy".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drizzt01 posted:

I think he got murdered about two minutes into the pilot of Alcatraz too.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

JetsGuy posted:

How dare you. That episode rules. :mad:

I completely forgot about this, but I'm glad it's still called "You Referred to me as Lucy".

I liked it waaay less than Holiday. What does that say about me?

It will always be called You Referred To Me As Lucy. I still love that episode :allears:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

I liked it waaay less than Holiday. What does that say about me?

Eh, to each their own. I love the Ferrengi episodes of DS9, despite what people say. :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

JetsGuy posted:

Eh, to each their own. I love the Ferrengi episodes of DS9, despite what people say. :colbert:

Quark's-mom stories weren't always great, but The Magnificent Ferengi is one of the best in the series.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
So I've just watched the SG1 finale for the first time. Wow. Talk about terrible endings.

I used to watch it religiously up until about midway through season nine. I didn't think the Ori were terrible, just not that great and I felt like the end of season 8 would have been as good a place as any to end the series. Up until this point I've never watched any others with the Ori, although I've rewatched many of the early seasons of SG1 but the Ori never held my interest.

Tonight I decided for the hell of it to watch the finale on Netflix. I'd heard through the grapevine that the Asgard killed themselves so I imagined the episode was going to be along the lines of The Lost City. Base under siege, maybe the Asgard homeworld, maybe Earth and the Asgard sacrificing themselves to buy SG1 more time to do... stuff. Something to at least rival The Lost City, or the Season4/5 finale and first eps (which were my favourite in the series) but no.

The Asgard go out with a whimper and I get 40 minutes of SG1 going space crazy (not in a particularly funny way either) before a quick 2 minute scene where everyone quotes cliches at each other. I've never seen a series finale which was just so... bland. Even SGU seemed to at least try and pull on your heartstrings a little bit.

What's up with that? Was the cancellation sprung out of the blue? I'd understand a less than brilliant finale if the series just wasn't renewed, so it ended on a proper season finale episode but it's not like it was even a season finale episode. It just felt like a filler low budget episode.

I know that the next film wraps up the Ori storyline, but still. What the hell?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They were cancelled while filming episode 10x18, hence the lines

Carter: But the truth is the Stargate program just doesn't get the support it used to from the people in charge.
Jacek: Why not?
Lee: (yells) Eureka! One down twelve to go!
Jacek: That's too bad because after all your Stargate program has accomplished for this network of planets, I'd think that the decision makers would show it the respect it deserves.

The producers didn't want to end the series on a cliffhanger, so they had <2 weeks to write another episode for production.

Edit: They were actually cancelled filming 10x16 Bad Guys.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 17, 2012

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

xerxus posted:

They were cancelled while filming episode 10x18, hence the lines

Carter: But the truth is the Stargate program just doesn't get the support it used to from the people in charge.
Jacek: Why not?
Lee: (yells) Eureka! One down twelve to go!
Jacek: That's too bad because after all your Stargate program has accomplished for this network of planets, I'd think that the decision makers would show it the respect it deserves.

The producers didn't want to end the series on a cliffhanger, so they had <2 weeks to write another episode for production.

Edit: They were actually cancelled filming 10x16 Bad Guys.

We never know if Goa'uld TV gets Showtime, either.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I didn't mind the finale considering they had little time to work with it. I always like to think that Beau Bridges was growing weed in that little CCR montage.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I decided to give this show a try. Got through the movie and I'm on the 5th episode of the first season I think. I don't really care for all the egyptian themed stuff though, does it focus on that story arc for a long time?

Also is any of this set in space/spaceships at all? Or just them going through the stargate?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Quite a bit of the first season is bad. It's mostly about traveling to woods near Vancouver other planets through the Stargate but it gets spacey. The Egyptian stuff is mostly in aesthetics later on, but endures throughout the series when it comes to the Gua'uld (Even when it makes no sense, thanks to the budget. Chinese Emperor Gua'uld? Celtic god? Have a golden Egyptian pyramid.)

The Gua'uld aren't the only bad guys though and they aren't the focus of most episodes.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The Egyptian stuff is throughout SG-1 but not all, and not always the main arc. SG-1 starts to use ships a lot more as the series goes on. Atlantis has a lot of time in ships and SG Universe is practically all in ships with a bit of off-world stuff to justify the stargate brand name.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Daedleh posted:

I know that the next film wraps up the Ori storyline, but still. What the hell?

The real finale is Continuum which is great since it's basically a long version of a really good regular episode and most importantly, has nothing to do with season 10.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The real finale is Continuum which is great since it's basically a long version of a really good regular episode and most importantly, has nothing to do with season 10.

It also has the last appearance of Don S. Davis as Gen. Hammond (RIP :() It is very fun though, seems like 'classic' SG-1.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BlazinLow305 posted:

Also is any of this set in space/spaceships at all? Or just them going through the stargate?

By the end of the show it basically turns into Star Trek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zKNZGmISZQ

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BlazinLow305 posted:

I decided to give this show a try. Got through the movie and I'm on the 5th episode of the first season I think. I don't really care for all the egyptian themed stuff though, does it focus on that story arc for a long time?

Well, it sounds like you'll love the show as it gets worse and worse and they forget what a stargate is, so keep going I guess?

Maybe just go straight to Atlantis.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

IRQ posted:

Well, it sounds like you'll love the show as it gets worse and worse and they forget what a stargate is, so keep going I guess?

Maybe just go straight to Atlantis.

Hey I just watched "Vegas" and it loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That did own because it was such a perfect parody of CSI.