Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bobulus posted:

- Seriously, though, I want to know what Vriska found out in the afterlife talking to Beta-John and exploring Tavros's land.

She turned Hussie down and this is his revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I guess it won't be Vriska (Vriska) again.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Oh no. Oh god.
The screams.
They're back.
They howl.
For Vriska.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Sweet merciful gently caress.

Pure nightmare fuel. PLEASE LET IT BE DEAD ON ARRIVAL GOD drat

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cue the explosion of 90% of the Homestuck fanbase.

I have to wonder how long Hussie's had this planned out for. Ever since

quote:

CG: WHICH IS WHY [Vriska's] BRAIN IS BROKEN, KIND OF LIKE TAVROS'S BUT ON THE OPPOSITE HEMISPHERE I GUESS.
perhaps?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Midnight Raider posted:

:sbahj:

Half of HS fans definitely felt the opposite, given all the terrible opinions I've seen on the subject. (Most of them summed up as "Poor sweet baby Tavros, being killed by that evil one-dimensional bitch!!!" and general rampant misogyny.)

Anyway, I'm split on this so far. On one hand, I have to applaud the horrified flailing reaction Hussie has inspired in us all. On the other hand.. This feels like shackling Vriska to the realm of joke character after she already had a poignant(if all too brief) character arc.

But it's still too early to say for sure how this is actually going to play out.

But I like both the characters :( And I'm irrationally upset by how many people hate Tavros, and by how strongly. Come on guys, he was okay :(

And while this was insane and surprising, the fact that anyone predicted it isn't, because this loving comic.

Bobulus posted:

Wrap it up, Vriskafailures. :smug:

Well, that certainly was a thing. I've been talking about Homestuck in too many places, so I don't remember if this quote has come up yet:
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004196

So, will a Vriska-Tavros hybrid be:
a) A synergy that makes an almost-human personality
b) Such a conflict that the poor sprite is driven insane almost immediately
c) Vriska's personality is so dominant that Tavros only shows up occasionally, sorta like how Jade replaced Dream Jade, perhaps betrayed only by typing quirk.

Three quick points:
- Perhaps this explains why Terezi never managed to run into Vriska in a dreambubble on her asteroid ride: Vriska's afterlife experience was extremely short.
- Seriously, though, I want to know what Vriska found out in the afterlife talking to Beta-John and exploring Tavros's land.
- I'm going to speculate that three of the sprites get used for Trolls, lulling us into a false sense of security so we're all surprised when the last one is used for Jake or Bro or something and ends up creating Lord English.

You beautiful bastard, that last point leads directly to these theories I wanted to mention, to see what you guys thought. With this update, I think they are more likely than ever.

(We'll get Feferidansprite and Nepequiusprite, and then LORD ENGLISH)

e: I just realized that each of these sprites would be androgynous, just like Calmasis and potentially uu/UU. HMMMMMMM
(if you don't feel like reading those two theories, basically they say uu/UU will become Lil' Cal, who will then be merged with Dream Jake and then God Tier Jake to become Lord English. It makes rather a lot of sense, especially considering this incredibly unlikely turn of events re: protoypings)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 18, 2012

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I am very amused/terrified that Tavros's corpse was in its own little section of the fridge. Euughh.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Well, uh, congratulations (???) to whoever called a Vrisvrossprite, I guess. If "congratulations" is even the right word there. :stare:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahahahaha what an awesome update. This comic is so great.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I don't want to read this comic any more. I'm gonna wear out my wincing muscles.

Paul.Power posted:

CG: WHICH IS WHY [Vriska's] BRAIN IS BROKEN, KIND OF LIKE TAVROS'S BUT ON THE OPPOSITE HEMISPHERE I GUESS.
It should be noted that Vriska and Tavros are on the exact opposite hemisphere of the zodiac cycle relative to each other.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I like it that hussie didn't pull some stupid arbitrary new game mechanic out of his rear end and used something that was already established with the Sprite Revival thing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Roger Explosion posted:

Just how many loving legs is this thing going to have?

8 lim8s.

Three of them will be robo-lim8s though.

Fakeedit: This is really horrifying. :cry:

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
And so the Bard of Rage fulfilled his station's obligations by inciting and causing rage. But it wasn't just on the characters.

It was on the readers.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Man I don't even know why most of you read this comic. Because this is both hilarious and exciting.

So many people seem to think Hussie is trolling them, or doing things just to enrage his readers, and I honestly have no idea how you ended up liking this thing to begin with. Hussie plays with everything, and so much of this comic is a joke at the reader's expense. How did you get this far and yet still allow anything in it to bother you?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
uHHHH, wHAT dID y8U d8,

wHAT dID y8U d88888888,,,,,,,,

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Starmaker posted:

Man I don't even know why most of you read this comic. Because this is both hilarious and exciting.

So many people seem to think Hussie is trolling them, or doing things just to enrage his readers, and I honestly have no idea how you ended up liking this thing to begin with. Hussie plays with everything, and so much of this comic is a joke at the reader's expense. How did you get this far and yet still allow anything in it to bother you?

For what it's worth, it doesn't really annoy me or anything, I just don't want Tavros to come back. He was a pretty boring character. The only reason logs involving him were ever entertaining was because of how the person on the other end behaved (ie., Dave loving with Tavros is funny because it's Dave loving with Tavros.)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh my god how did someone actually call this happening?

edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! :stonk:

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 18, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Starmaker posted:

Well, some of it's hyperbole. But it's quite possible to like some elements of a story and dislike others, and therefore respond negatively to new developments which suggest that the disliked elements will become more prominent relative to others in the immediate future.

Fortunately, since this sprite is only just now being prototyped, it means that the big thing I didn't like about Vriska back when I was watching Act 5 progress in real-time (namely, that her ego turned out to be responsible for everything that went wrong and none of the heroes were doing anything about it) will be a non-issue. I can't speak for the Tavros situation, because I never had a problem with him, but presumably being a sprite will prevent his passivity and general ineffectualness from dragging things down, because Jane's the one who'd be providing the initiative regardless.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Gnome de plume posted:

uHHHH, wHAT dID y8U d8,

wHAT dID y8U d88888888,,,,,,,,

(But what if it's Tavroshead-Tavroslegs-Vriskasprite? :gonk: )

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

King of Solomon posted:

For what it's worth, it doesn't really annoy me or anything, I just don't want Tavros to come back. He was a pretty boring character. The only reason logs involving him were ever entertaining was because of how the person on the other end behaved (ie., Dave loving with Tavros is funny because it's Dave loving with Tavros.)

True, but he'll still have somebody to play off with to make this interesting.

The somebody being his tormentor and murderer.

Tavros is never allowed to be happy. Ever.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Well, that page pretty concisely answered the question of "What will Tavrisprite be like?"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Starmaker posted:

I think the reactions are very understandable. People get attached to characters, especially ones as well written as Homestuck characters. Plus having ones mind merged with another persons, especially a person you hate, sounds like about the worst thing ever.

So yeah, these reactions are completely unsurprising to me. *shrug*

EDIT: Oh god, update. Take it round back and put it out of it's misery. :(

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 18, 2012

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

:stonk: auuuggghhhhhh killitwithFIRE :stonk:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
IT LIVES

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I need a :stonk: that slowly grows larger and more distended until it explodes in a shower of a hundred other :stonk:s to even come close to approaching my reaction to this.

This loving webcomic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm amazed at how much fan art showed up in the two hours between those updates.

I'm guessing the "honk." suggests that Gamzee's sober? Bad sign.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that a look of utter joy or sheer terror on Jane's face?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think the reactions are very understandable. People get attached to characters, especially ones as well written as Homestuck characters. Plus having ones mind merged with another persons, especially a person you hate, sounds like about the worst thing ever.

Except, you know, it's a story. That you read. That's not your life. These bad things don't happen to People You Love, they happen to Characters In a Story, For The Purposes of Telling a Story. Your emotions getting out of control, going Oh Man How Awful I Cant Believe That Happened To My Goon Bro Tavros gently caress gently caress gently caress Man Oh Man, that's Good Storytelling.

Has it been so long since you've read something worthwhile that you don't know how to react to being emotionally involved with a written character anymore? (not "you" as in you personally, "you" as in anyone who actually gets upset with this loving comic)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hahaha, I wonder if the personalities being irreconcilable means that one of them is going to become dominant for stability.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Is that a look of utter joy or sheer terror on Jane's face?

Jane doesn't know how kernels are supposed to work. It's terror.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Poor Vriska gets no br8ks in the afterlife.

I'm amused by the body horror mashup, I just hope it isn't a personality mashup as well.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bongo Bill posted:

Jane doesn't know how kernels are supposed to work. It's terror.

Other reasons why it's probably terror include the fact that this moment was immediately preceded by the weird scarred clown flinging a pair of mutilated corpses through the air.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Other reasons why it's probably terror include the fact that this moment was immediately preceded by the weird scarred clown flinging a pair of mutilated corpses through the air.

That were in her fridge.

I would immediately go check the dishwasher for more bodies.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
And Gamzee has gone back to his old hobby of being blurry in the background.

Oh yeah, also the horrible abominationsprite.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
This is it, man.

It's HAPPENING.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I'm surprised that anyone imagined this might turn out well.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I agree with Jane on this one. This is terrifying.

And hilarious.

You just can't beat hussie at being crazy. He's simply the best there is!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I wake up, go to check if MSPA updated and end up walking face-first into this glorious thing. :suspense:

Also calling it now, next few pannels are Jane fainting and going dreamself on Prospit.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

EDIT: Oh god, update. Take it round back and put it out of it's misery. :(

Now don't get me wrong. This is incredibly unsettling and horrifying, but it is also incredibly funny. And the fact that it's done by Gamzee is just the perfect accent.

But some people seem to be pretty upset? And I imagine the MSPA forums and tumblrs are howling in pain right now. And that's what I don't understand. Not that people can get this invested in any story (because if the internet has taught me anything, it's that) but that people like that, the ones who get so personally invested in fiction, have been the butt of nearly every joke. Why do these people like this story? How have so many of them come to this comic that they're now such a loud voice? It just baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Under the vegetable posted:

Except, you know, it's a story. That you read. That's not your life. These bad things don't happen to People You Love, they happen to Characters In a Story, For The Purposes of Telling a Story. Your emotions getting out of control, going Oh Man How Awful I Cant Believe That Happened To My Goon Bro Tavros gently caress gently caress gently caress Man Oh Man, that's Good Storytelling.

Has it been so long since you've read something worthwhile that you don't know how to react to being emotionally involved with a written character anymore? (not "you" as in you personally, "you" as in anyone who actually gets upset with this loving comic)

Sorry dude. People get invested in well written stories and characters, they empathize with them. That's a huge part of what makes good stories good. If people didn't empathize and connect with the characters they wouldn't be very good characters. I mean, is raging on a message board or whatever really such an outsized emotional response? Personally I don't think so. v:shobon:v