Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Starmaker posted:

Now don't get me wrong. This is incredibly unsettling and horrifying, but it is also incredibly funny. And the fact that it's done by Gamzee is just the perfect accent.

But some people seem to be pretty upset? And I imagine the MSPA forums and tumblrs are howling in pain right now. And that's what I don't understand. Not that people can get this invested in any story (because if the internet has taught me anything, it's that) but that people like that, the ones who get so personally invested in fiction, have been the butt of nearly every joke. Why do these people like this story? How have so many of them come to this comic that they're now such a loud voice? It just baffles me.

They're all over the planet, loving up all the focus groups.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sorry dude. People get invested in well written stories and characters, they empathize with them. That's a huge part of what makes good stories good.

Way to essentially back up my point with your lack of reading comprehension and defensive attitude, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
He's still going.

drat it, Hussie, I want to go to bed!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Guess it was option B, then. :(

I want to see people attempt to voice-act this page. The interplay between forceful and hesitant, loud and soft, male and female, etc, would make it sound really interesting.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

This is the funniest goddamn thing I have ever seen in my life.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I'm going to level with you all here, because this is a thought that I have never had about anything that has ever happened in Homestuck.

I don't know if Andrew can make this work. It's just a little too hosed up, and I'm not sure the gimmick will really function comically. And it skirts the line between mocking fanfiction and becoming fanfiction REALLY HARD.

Hussie, I need you to make this work. Seal the deal, man, give me something that makes me bust my rear end laughing or I'm going to succumb to the creepiness of what just transpired here.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Starmaker posted:

Now don't get me wrong. This is incredibly unsettling and horrifying, but it is also incredibly funny. And the fact that it's done by Gamzee is just the perfect accent.

But some people seem to be pretty upset? And I imagine the MSPA forums and tumblrs are howling in pain right now. And that's what I don't understand. Not that people can get this invested in any story (because if the internet has taught me anything, it's that) but that people like that, the ones who get so personally invested in fiction, have been the butt of nearly every joke. Why do these people like this story? How have so many of them come to this comic that they're now such a loud voice? It just baffles me.

There are a lot of hardcore Vriska fans who are very angry that she has been brought back not in the way they intended, merged with the character they hate most, and nowhere close to John (because they really, really want her to kiss John). They're furious. They're going overtime on theories of this being a split timeline or Vriska somehow getting separated out of the sprite and "properly" rezzed or the Tavros part of the sprite somehow getting killed/destroyed. They are so god damned mad.

And it is the most hilarious thing I have witnessed in this comic since I started reading it :allears:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm not getting the comedy in this update. Am I becoming the very fans I hate? :ohdear:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Under the vegetable posted:

They're all over the planet, loving up all the focus groups.

No kidding. It's why I love Hussie and his work so much. Not only does he not bow to these pressures, he purposely baits and inflames them. He loves playing with reader expectation and emotion, and he loves pissing humourless people off. And it's beautiful.

I mean look at that thing. Look at it. Because every time I do I can't help but burst into laughter. It is so painful, so hideous, but so god drat hilarious. And all the fan outrage? Oh man, that adds a whole new layer of delicious metahumour. Seriously, in what other comic, or with what other creator, could something like this happen? Just enjoy the crazy ride, because it will be over far too soon and then we'll be back with the bland, insipid poo poo we get everywhere else.

dumb brunette posted:

There are a lot of hardcore Vriska fans who are very angry that she has been brought back not in the way they intended, merged with the character they hate most, and nowhere close to John (because they really, really want her to kiss John). They're furious. They're going overtime on theories of this being a split timeline or Vriska somehow getting separated out of the sprite and "properly" rezzed or the Tavros part of the sprite somehow getting killed/destroyed. They are so god damned mad.

And it is the most hilarious thing I have witnessed in this comic since I started reading it :allears:

Thank you so much for telling me this. Mmmmmm. So great.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 18, 2012

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
To quote on of my favourie KC Green/Gunshow panels, "Jesus Christ how horrifying."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I won't lie, I think it would be hilarious if they're so incompatible that the kernel rejects one or the other of the corpses and it comes flying back out and smacks Jane in the face.

But I kinda want to see where Hussie is going with this.

I will feel bad if this is the last we hear of Vriska-Tavros-Sprite and its just shown in the background freaking the gently caress out from now until the end of the comic.

edit: Wait, wait, wait, kernels are made to divide, and this one never did. Clearly this is how the problem will be solved. :downs:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 18, 2012

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

dumb brunette posted:

There are also a shitload of Tavros fans who are flipping out over him being forced to be a part of Vriska.

Literally every person not in on the Homestuck Joke is real mad at this update and it is wonderful.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

quote:

I will feel bad if this is the last we hear of Vriska-Tavros-Sprite and its just shown in the background freaking the gently caress out from now until the end of the comic.

Nah, there's no way this won't pay some serious dividends.

The question is will we want them? (yesyesyesyes)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

This is like a monkey's paw wish for people who wanted Vriska or Tavros back. Should have listened more carefully to that whimsical, mystical man with the pouty lips at the back alley magic stand.

Way to essentially back up my point with your lack of reading comprehension and defensive attitude, thanks.

To be fair, upon a cursory skim your post looked like the usual "Heh. People gettin' emotionally invested in stories. :smug:" post that usually happens at least once a month in any fandom thread.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I dunno dude, you seem pretty angry here tbh. You sure you should be criticizing other people for getting heated over a fictional characters death when you're getting heated over some posts by some random dude on the internet?

Oh, and I can't seem to find the point you are referring to in your previous posts, could you point it out? Thanks.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
So if this keeps up, Jake will get Nepetequius, Roxy will get Feferidan, and Dirk will get... Sollux?

...AutoreSollux?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Now, lemme be clear here, I like both Vriska and Tavros. Their arcs were very well done and concluded in a satisfying way. This might seem like Hussie's destroying everything he did, but I somehow doubt he'd completely destroy one of his best-written and most fleshed-out characters (Tavros) just for a quick gag. He probably knows where it's going.

And even if he doesn't, and he treats it all awfully disrespectfully and just ruins all that characterization for a joke? OH WELL. I guess let this be a lesson not to get too emotionally invested in fictional characters. But that would be bad story-telling, and so far every joke he's pulled on his readers has somehow led to an emotionally satisfying resolution. I don't see why he'd stop now (I mean, now that Vriska's back, he has so many more opportunities to piss off rabid fans).

I mean, the only "ship" (god I hate that term) that I really care about at all is Jake/Dirk, and that's only because it's the one I can relate to the most. And yet my current favorite theory involves one half of that pair (Jake) to die and merge with a psychotic rear end in a top hat puppet in order to become the monstrous main villain. That is not a happy resolution! And yet it would still be pretty awesome and satisfying. And if things go in a completely different direction, and don't work out the way I want? OH WELL. That's one of the reasons I read this thing, because I seriously never know what to expect, even when I think I do.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Brass Key posted:

So if this keeps up, Jake will get Nepetequius, Roxy will get Feferidan, and Dirk will get... Sollux?

...AutoreSollux?

I like the theory of Nepetequius, Feferollux, and Eridan being forevver alone.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Oh gently caress, my sides.
My sides.
Let me just post so I can revel in my avatar....

I wonder if the other kids will get cross-troll sprites?

Oh god.

I forsee a combination of the following... Feferidan Sprite, Nepequius Sprite, Kanaridan Sprite, Solleri Sprite, depending on what grouping he does(killed by, matespritship)

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Brass Key posted:

...AutoreSollux?

Dirk with get Quad Sollux. The one that died on the meteor, and the one that died in the vast glub. Quad Sollux will have two heads and will immediately die again. Calling it now.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Dirk with get Quad Sollux. The one that died on the meteor, and the one that died in the vast glub. Quad Sollux will have two heads and will immediately die again. Calling it now.

Mage of Doom indeed.

Also, I love that it's Gamzee doing all this. He's just bouncing around, spreading love and happiness wherever he goes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I think the best part is that he's still blurry.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This is absolutely horrifying in the most beautiful way. I do dislike that characters with concluded character arcs get brought back like this, though. But I guess this might turn far more meaningful than appearances suggest even though the sprites don't seem to hold much purpose in this session.

What happened to the Vriska and Tavros ghosts in the dreambubbles? What will happen if Tavrisprite dies? Has... Has Hussie finally actually made a character death/loss that is permanent? :ohdear:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Can't wait for ManVs... to get to this update. "Goku and Picolo did it first!"

Jesus, Gamzee, why are you so amazing and yet so horrifying?
The fanart of this is going to be hilarious, especially the deadly serious, angsty ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh god he actually did it :stare:

I wonder if s/he won't be able to kill themselves either, on the account of Vriska's god tier powers.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
By the way guys, check out the Vriskachat thread on the mspa forums about all of this stuff, the reactions are loving magical.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

ActionZero posted:

By the way guys, check out the Vriskachat thread on the mspa forums about all of this stuff, the reactions are loving magical.

This is, in fact, the exact thread I was thinking of when I posted about how furious all the hardcore Vriska fans were. So much rage. So much rage, and so much fan whining :allears:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
And Tavros still has no legs.

But hey, at least he can fly now!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Dear god....

I sill can't believe someone in the thread actually called this.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Watching the MSPA forums is like observing a gang war. A really, really dumb gang war.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is the polar opposite of the Dave prototyping. That was accompanied by a mental gently caress yeah and wailing guitars. This? Slo-mo scream of despair and Dies Irae.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just noticed the Tauros/Light symbol. :allears:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:stare:

This is a hell of a start to a morning.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Starmaker posted:

best-written and most fleshed-out characters (Tavros)

I'm gonna take the heat and assume you meant Vriska

I don't take this comic too seriously, but Tavros was never interesting or funny to me (except the Dave rap battles) and this just seems like a terrible idea. I like Vriska but there are already too many irons in the fire with Aranea and of course the bubbles. More is unnecessary and I hope it doesn't turn out as dumb as I think it will.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Gamzee is the best clown ever. And what just happened is the best kind of clowning ever.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I was sort of expecting this to happen but there is still no :stare: big enough. The fan art is going to horrific.

Am I the only person that liked both Vriska and Tavros?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Dear god....

I sill can't believe someone in the thread actually called this.

I'm doing a stupid looking jig on the fridge and clicking the heels of my dumb elf shoes. :)

D::::{ is the best smilie now. It is so gigantic and unintuitive that if you don't already know its supposed to be a mouth, eyes and horns, you'd most likely think it was something horribly inappropriate.

Hey, someone post that Karkat popcorn gif!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

QuoProQuid posted:

I was sort of expecting this to happen but there is still no :stare: big enough. The fan art is going to horrific.

No, I liked them both. They're such a great double act.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

I harbor no real resentment for any of the characters and I think it's because I tend to avoid any type of fan related material associated with Homestuck, Vriska in particular. I do actually like Tavros though, ever since he first appeared, I've liked his design.

Also this sort of thing, with the latest update, is one if the main reasons I read Homestuck. Being aware of the fact that almost every WTF update is just some new way Hussie fucks with the fans.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
bEYOND
My
gENERAL
Horror,
oNE
W8rd
pER
Line
iS
uHHHHH
Going
tO
G8t
oLD
Fast!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not only did Gamzee create an affront to man, god, nature, and fandom; he's also sober and blurry again. Somehow, that's more terrifying.

QuoProQuid posted:

Nope, I liked them both too. That's what makes this so hilarious.