Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Like some others I'm not quite sure how to feel about this yet. It's both amusing and horrifying. Hopefully it goes somewhere interesting and isn't just a throw-away joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
"Oh hey, 180 posts. Must've been a hell of an update."

:stare:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

It's pretty mild actually.

Sorry, I mean, delicious tears of rage xD u mad dude?

Uh. You saw the guy who compared Tavros to Hitler, right? Pretty sure I quoted it kind of hard.

e: I enjoyed reading it but sorry if it didn't meet your extremely high Internet drama standards I guess v:v:v

loquacius fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 18, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Perhaps Doc Scratch will not tell Rose Lord English's name because it would spoil too many things if she had heard the name "Jake". :downs:

Actually, that's a point. Lord English is his title, not his name. So that implies he has a name. Which is Jake. To confirm this we must observe how Lord English reacts to blue ladies.

Alternative theory: Jake has a poster of the movie The Time-Travelling Demon, starring Lord English and the Beta kids. In this universe, Lord English has nothing to do with the destruction of the universe, and the kids and trolls manage to destroy it by themselves. Jake becomes Lord English and travels back in time to star in a movie about himself, because to do otherwise would break the loop.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Bobulus posted:

We saw Lord English summoned into the Troll universe. Presumably he can be summoned into multiple universes, but, like the Green Sun, was only created once.

Jake has all kinds of Lord English gear and jokes in his intro. At first glance, this is all just to freak people out about his name being Jake English, but recent theorycrafting is that the reason his name is Jake English and has LE gear is not that LE is 'already here' in the B2 universe, but that these are the ingredients used to originally create Lord English.

After the "Roxy and Dirk in the Future" theory turned out to be true, I'm willing to humor any crazy theories.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I just saw the update, I have the exact same expression as Jane except way more delighted.

This is the most wonderful miracle yet.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Scale Model Giant posted:

Exactly. Though I am kind of amused by the idea of each of the Alpha kids getting a doomed troll for their sprite. Especially if any of them double up into a 2-tier sprite.

I stand by my original sentiment. This is awesome. :colbert: Doomed, dead, whatever.

Also kudos to whoever called Tavrisprite specifically.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

First I had a feeling of certainty when Gamzee went for the fridge.

When the fridge was opened I felt brief confirmation, followed by dawning realization when I saw that Vriska and Tavros were the only bodies inside.

Then, as the corpses flew through the air, I noticed that Jane was wearing the same expression I had.

Thank you, Andrew Hussie, for showing me that I can experience mirth and horror at the same time.

Also, Dirk will be getting ARidansprite. It is written.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I forget if this was brought up recently (would've missed it in the slew)/a while back, but I'm amused that Tavros's head in the fridge is still in SlOpPy MaKeOuTs :o) mode.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Perhaps we should count our blessings. Between Vriska's insect themes and the number of legs tossed into the kernel, we might have ended up with human- troll-centipede-sprite. :gonk:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

Perhaps we should count our blessings. Between Vriska's insect themes and the number of legs tossed into the kernel, we might have ended up with human- troll-centipede-sprite. :gonk:

Yeah, considering Tavros's legs were a separate object going in there, I'm amazed this thing wasn't even more horrifying.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Miracon posted:

After the "Roxy and Dirk in the Future" theory turned out to be true, I'm willing to humor any crazy theories.

Additional evidence (all stolen from that tumblr blog linked earlier):

- The B2 kids' official sburb title is not 'Hero' but 'Noble'. Lords and Ladies. So he's technically already titled 'Lord English'.
- Both Jake and LE are gun users.
- A quote from Dirk, the Destroyer of Souls: "When you’re through with English, he will be a ruthless killing machine. Mark your words."
- One of his favorite movie is Weekend at Burnies, which contains the two ingredients you'd need to make LE from a sprite: 'Guys in cahoots make the silly corpse of Bernie Lomax do zany puppet antics so their schemes can succeed'

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Seriously this is some twilight zone ironic hell poo poo right here. The worst kernelsprite.

ShardPhoenix posted:

Like some others I'm not quite sure how to feel about this yet. It's both amusing and horrifying. Hopefully it goes somewhere interesting and isn't just a throw-away joke.

Yeah I'm ambivalent too. It sure is arresting! But on the other hand it renders a bunch of stuff completely moot, like that really poignant scene with beta John.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
My theory is that creating LE is ultimately how they win, since he can only propagate backwards through the chain. So create him and the new universe and it'll be free from him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I stand by my original sentiment. This is awesome. :colbert: Doomed, dead, whatever.

Also kudos to whoever called Tavrisprite specifically.

I've been pulling for trollsprites for a long time, but never dared dream that Tavrisprite would actually come to pass :allears:

One of the things I've always liked about the idea is that by all signs sprites aren't really expected to be there forever--they presumably only persist as long as the game itself does, if they even make it that far (none of the trolls' did.) Bringing dead characters back as sprites gives them a second shot at achieving maximum closure, but there's an implied sunset provision that (hopefully) keeps it from being cheap backdoor resurrection. There's certainly nothing wrong from a literary standpoint with a character's arc abruptly ending in futility, but from a feelgood perspective getting to come back for one last hurrah makes for a much better ending, even compared to the indeterminate state of dream bubble afterlife.

Tavrisprite in particular is an interesting case because it not only does it provide both of them with what they need to achieve closure, they are forced to confront it in the worst way possible--or else suffer a fate worse (and more hilarious) than death. It is the toughest of tough love, but what else would you expect from the motherfucking Bard of Rage--one whose role can, according to UU, be interpreted as facilitating the eradication of rage.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Seoinin posted:

Seriously this is some twilight zone ironic hell poo poo right here. The worst kernelsprite.

Yeah I'm ambivalent too. It sure is arresting! But on the other hand it renders a bunch of stuff completely moot, like that really poignant scene with beta John.

I am fairly sure that was rendered moot when Hussie asked Vriska to marry him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Tavrisprite in particular is an interesting case because it not only does it provide both of them with what they need to achieve closure, they are forced to confront it in the worst way possible--or else suffer a fate worse (and more hilarious) than death. It is the toughest of tough love, but what else would you expect from the motherfucking Bard of Rage--one whose role can, according to UU, be interpreted as facilitating the eradication of rage.
Yeah that's well and good but that rather assumes this abomination is two personalities jammed into a single affront to decency, as opposed to just a single entity with some real conflicting personality traits.

Take Davesprite - he isn't both Dave AND a bird, he is Dave-who-is-also-a-bird

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 18, 2012

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Tavisprite

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh... Tavrisprite. Oh. Oohhhh...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gabriel Pope posted:

Gamzee is so helpful. He has considerately prototyped Jane's sprite with both someone who really wants to solve all the puzzles as well as someone who is really good at winning games. You could not ask for a better guide! I think this calls for a celebratory swig of miracle elixir for a job well done.

And it has no legs to not be able to use! All benefits and no drawbacks.

What a lucky 8reak!!!!!!!!

vvv nowhere is it ever said that LE eats universes- he ends them prematurely. He orchestrates their destruction to ensure his own arrival, and in the process apparently creates strife and suffering (compare the A1 Troll-verse to Alternia). Also he runs a gang and has a gold tooth

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 18, 2012

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I'm still not fully sure why LE is considered evil. I mean, he eats Universes but only once they've burnt out. Considering Universes are giant, funky frogs isn't LE just part of a natural cycle?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Popo posted:

I'm still not fully sure why LE is considered evil. I mean, he eats Universes but only once they've burnt out. Considering Universes are giant, funky frogs isn't LE just part of a natural cycle?

the assumption is that LE is also responsible for the predestined alpha timelines that actually lead to the universes being destroyed and any branching path not leading to this end being wiped out and killed.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Popo posted:

I'm pretty sure that smacking Ms Paint around and killing Hussie isn't part of any natural cycle.

At least I hope it isn't.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Watching the MSPA forums is like observing a gang war. A really, really dumb gang war.

Instead of Crips and Bloods, it's Cripples and Highbloods.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Have the eyes turn read and the head shake "No" and I'll buy this.

At which point should the head shake? Otherwise sure, I'll be happy to improve it.

V: His head has Anubis-like qualities, but the proportions between the head and the torso are kind of funky.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Guys, I just realized something about the song Bec Noir from Universe B.

It's dogstep.

Also the art is pretty cool:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Mr. Moon posted:

I'm pretty sure that smacking Ms Paint around and killing Hussie isn't part of any natural cycle.

At least I hope it isn't.

Ah yes. Somehow I'd forgotten about that. Updates that should be entirely memorable seem to get blasted out of my head by the next crazy update recently.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

atomicthumbs posted:

It's dogstep.

I thought it was more breakcore than dubstep which allowed me to think up "barkcore" but I'm not really feelin' like discussing genre categorization if they're both good jokes.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

One of the posts over in the MSPA forum was pretty interesting, I thought. Assuming Tavros and Vriska don't immediately implode or something, isn't having a sprite that can mind control animals and humans/trolls pretty powerful? And wouldn't Bec Noir be susceptible to it, provided PM doesn't gut him?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Saturday Mornings posted:

One of the posts over in the MSPA forum was pretty interesting, I thought. Assuming Tavros and Vriska don't immediately implode or something, isn't having a sprite that can mind control animals and humans/trolls pretty powerful? And wouldn't Bec Noir be susceptible to it, provided PM doesn't gut him?

Mind control humans, animals, and might still have God Tier abilities. I'm still betting that the latter is what's going to lead to a resurrected Vriska.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhhahahahaaa

Everything about this morning is fantastic so far. Even a Torso Flail callback, and then... The Leviathan. I'm nearly in tears laughing so hard.

atomicthumbs posted:

It's dogstep.

I love that song even though I thought it was weird with the barks at first. Then a friend astutely pointed out the obvious: barkcore. Dogstep is pretty drat great too.

It's really great how Battle Brotocol seems to smoothly transition into it, too. Also, Battle Brotocol is excellent and hilarious. "YOU--WIN"

[Edit again] This reminds me: I KNOW I've heard the tune in Cupcake Girl before, but what's it from? Am I imagining things?

Similarly, March of the Batterwitch is a way better song than I expected, and I am trying to figure out what's cooking at the start. Tea kettle obviously, something sizzling...

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 18, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha no seriously.

What the gently caress.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
As much as this is kind of funny, it's more horrifying than funny and I hope it gets undone somehow. :(

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Elysiume posted:

As much as this is kind of funny, it's more horrifying than funny and I hope it gets undone somehow. :(
Not like this.

Not like this.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So I think we can be done with the whole "what updates happened on your birthday" thing.

Because whoever was born on April 18th pretty much wins by default now.

(It's me)

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
My biggest wish now is to have Tavrisprite go god tier ala Jadesprite.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Seoinin posted:

This is pretty much my only problem with it too. I liked Vriska, she was a pretty drat compelling character, and although I thought her death was a bit premature, I thought her chilling with Beta John in the afterlife was a :unsmith: little coda.

This though, I don't know what the gently caress is going to happen next, which is always a good thing,

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Being ripped from the afterlife to share a body and mind with somebody who crippled and killed you is really, really hosed up, in retrospect.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Saradiart posted:

My biggest wish now is to have Tavrisprite go god tier ala Jadesprite.
I went god tier twice by accident. Now I'm...

two gods

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cabbit posted:

Being ripped from the afterlife to share a body and mind with somebody who crippled and killed you is really, really hosed up, in retrospect.

I don't think Tavrisprite is Vriska and Tavros sharing a mind and body. "My personality is irreconcilable" instead of something like "our personalities" speaks to some sort of entirely new character that is a fusion of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Still kind of hosed up!