Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
And my response is that it stops being your risk when I have to pay higher insurance because someone is too stupid to wear a full face helmet.

I watched a moot moot style crash happen in front of me. Biker in the right lane on an interstate that ends in a ramp. Looks like he was surprised by the lane ending and went off the shoulder and crashed into the grass. I pulled over but another driver got out to help him first. I watched him try to lift the bike and drop it two more times. He looked like he was in a state of shock. He wasn't wearing a helmet. So are dip shits riding motorbikes now that they can stop worrying about messing up their hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's a nice horse you have there, it's pretty high.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

clutchpuck posted:

That's a nice horse you have there, it's pretty high.

At least he won't be brained if he falls off of it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
The freedom is in the actual act of riding a motorcycle. We have mandatory seat belt laws, why the gently caress did they just do away with a helmet law?

Call me a gear nazis. I don't care.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
drat this thread has been busy. I go on holiday and come back to 160 new posts.
YAY!
Sorry for playing catch up, but:

Slim Pickens posted:

Just found out today that clear visor + polarized sunglasses = trippy rainbowy highlights. It was kinda cool, but a little distracting.
That revelation was a holy poo poo moment for me too. The clear visor doesn't do it on my helmet, but the fog shield does. Also it's impossible to see my ipod or phone's screens in my polorized raybans. Doesn't apply to the motorcycle though because I never use either on the bike.

Crayvex posted:

These sound like cool upgrades. To be honest my biggest complaint about the bike is the lovely front brake. The single disc, single piston caliper doesn't stop the bike easily. I've rebuilt it and the master cylinder and I still require a lot of rear brake to get the bike stopped. Am I just spoiled by modern bikes or is something still wrong?
No, those brakes are absolutely terrible even when working properly.

Crayvex posted:

Many owners of these old CB's replace the stock K braking system with the F's dual disc system.
Or just do what I'm about to and swap in a whole GL1000 front end :D

Fangs404 posted:

Why not buy her an MSF course and let a pro teach her? She might be nervous because she doesn't want to disappoint you or damage your bike. If it's some dinky small bike that's not yours and the people around her are strangers that are all trying to learn together, she might have an easier time learning.

I'm about to teach my girlfriend the basics. After seeing 3 people panic and fail out of the class (and almost seriously injure a lot of people) I'd prefer to get her at least comfortable with being on the bike before I turn her loose on an obstacle course.
I should also note that my MSF instructors told me that they wanted me to come back in couple years and teach the course. I had a blast taking that course.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

And my response is that it stops being your risk when I have to pay higher insurance because someone is too stupid to wear a full face helmet.

With actuarial tables derived from zip codes, credit ratings, boxers vs briefs, chicken entrails, the New Jersey lotto, and the home phone numbers of the Illuminati, they will use this opportunity to raise rates whether the data supports it or not.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bixington posted:

This response was perfect. In line with the "You need to stop being a pussy and exercise your FREEDUMBS" argument: "I'd prefer to live another day and continue to exercise the freedoms I care about.

Marv Hushman posted:

With actuarial tables derived from zip codes, credit ratings, boxers vs briefs, chicken entrails, the New Jersey lotto, and the home phone numbers of the Illuminati, they will use this opportunity to raise rates whether the data supports it or not.

This is unfortunately true. Just like gas prices, insurance rates aren't going to decrease just because they CAN. Even if there was a federal helmet and full gear law, rates would probably remain the same.

Call me a pessimist but deep down you know it's true.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Bixington posted:

I am fairly certain my 3/4 will keep my brain in - that's what the DOT sticker comes with right? Besides, the bike I wear it on is as good as a scooter and I'm not even insured on it, so when I inevitably crash I won't affect your rates.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That revelation was a holy poo poo moment for me too. The clear visor doesn't do it on my helmet, but the fog shield does. Also it's impossible to see my ipod or phone's screens in my polorized raybans. Doesn't apply to the motorcycle though because I never use either on the bike.

Have you tried tilting your head about 45 degrees? I'm not responsible for the looks you'll get.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

I am fairly certain my 3/4 will keep my brain in - that's what the DOT sticker comes with right? Besides, the bike I wear it on is as good as a scooter

Your 3/4 will do nothing but keep you alive so you can live to see the horrifying facial scars you'll get from crashing with a 3/4 helmet.

Crashing on a scooter is as bad as crashing on a motorcycle. An automatic transmission does not magically make for a pillowy soft meeting with the pavement.

clutchpuck posted:

and I'm not even insured on it, so when I inevitably crash I won't affect your rates.

Great, so when you crash and take someone else out, you wont be able to cover their medical costs. Thats cool.

You're not going to find much support for rolling uninsured with a 3/4 helmet here.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's idiotic to ride without it, but Washington state does not require you to carry motorcycle insurance.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

clutchpuck posted:

I am fairly certain my 3/4 will keep my brain in - that's what the DOT sticker comes with right? Besides, the bike I wear it on is as good as a scooter and I'm not even insured on it, so when I inevitably crash I won't affect your rates.
I used to work in a morgue. Guess who gets the closed caskets.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

3D CT scan of someone who face planted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/in/set-72157601198404570/

That could be your face one day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

Have you tried tilting your head about 45 degrees? I'm not responsible for the looks you'll get.

doesn't get rid of the visor rainbow but yeah. that's how I normally deal.
Taco bell neck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGwPyrSNVE

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Great, so when you crash and take someone else out, you wont be able to cover their medical costs. Thats cool.

That's the master plan. Seriously though, you guys have go-to lectures for riders not meeting your safety standards? That's kind of hilarious in a "thanks mom" sort of way.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I hope you feel terrible.

Edit: GUILT! SHAME! FEAR!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For what its worth, 99% of my miles are insured, in a snell full face, leather jacket with armor, protective gloves, kevlar denim or long johns, and proper boots. But when I want to put on the retro helmet and putt the 175 around town, trust me, I've had the MSF safety lecture already.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 18, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

That's the master plan. Seriously though, you guys have go-to lectures for riders not meeting your safety standards? That's kind of hilarious in a "thanks mom" sort of way.

Yes we do, our responses are almost canned because so many people come in with the idea of "looking cool" and we'd rather have riders than "cool" corpses. A lot of us here have wrecked before and might not be here today if it weren't for proper gear. Deriding people that are trying to keep you safe is pretty dumb. We're not your mom, we've just been there and done that. It's your call not to wear the right gear or to have insurance, just don't expect approval for it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The safety pile-ons are amusing sometimes, but one thing Cycle Asylum does well is reinforce a safety and awareness culture in a broader community that sorely lacks both.

For example, it should not be seen as acceptable, culturally, that people go out on motorcycles without helmets. Yes, perhaps they should be legally allowed to do so, but they should be looked at as backcountry yokels like people who drive around town with several generations of their family in the bed of their pickup truck.

In that light, it's a long road to sensible motorcycling and I have no shame about drilling people on safety. Even if they don't listen, I think it helps build the right kind of culture when others see that feedback. My 2 cents.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's all good, I don't need anybody's approval to gear up how I gear up, and I don't judge how others ride (out loud, much). I posit that most folks are smart enough to understand that human anatomy and pavement are bad company, independent of the riding decisions they make.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I've been impressed so far in WA state, most people I run into are wearing gear. Even the odd stuntas I come across.

Cruisers of all kinds, not so much. Or 18-20 year olds on 600+cc sportbikes, but they're invincible so it's cool brah.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
How come you never caaaaaaaaaaaawwwl?

It is sort of interesting. Many on this forum have learned these lessons the hard way, and yes, it's a challenge to convey them without coming off like a didactic twat. I think I can explain why. Even in the most complex accident scenarios, each of us, way back in the vault, has identified that one subtle error that led to broken bones. These are facts that will never see the light of day--in the retelling, they will become "target fixation" and other red herrings that help rehabilitate bruised egos.

Of course, we will never really know if that weight transfer, flick of the wrist, etc, would have worked. So we resolve to control the controllable. And taking $79 down to Wal-Mart to buy a helmet instead of a Blu-Ray player is absolutely within your control. Hell, save $20, go online, and get one with Cthulu, Pantera, NSFW Anime chicks, and Hello Kitty on it ferchrissakes.

That's the maddening part. I believe the helmet uproar will sort itself out naturally. These people will eventually TRY riding without one, quickly conclude that it SUCKS, and bask in the freedom of...wearing a helmet but not being....told to wear it. Sort of like children, really, those of you who have them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The biggest thing I don't get about riding without a helmet, is how the gently caress can you even be comfortable? I rode a scooter ONCE to the store without a helmet, just sunglasses, and it was loving miserable.

I don't get the comfort argument either. Or the visibility. Is it really that much of a pain in the rear end to lean a little more and look over your loving shoulder?

Now, all that said...anyone here live near Vancouver, WA? Trying to find somewhere decent to ride that doesn't require me to use interstates to get around

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't weld or sandblast with a mask on because I am not legally required to. Nor should I be. :colbert:

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

iwentdoodie posted:

The biggest thing I don't get about riding without a helmet, is how the gently caress can you even be comfortable? I rode a scooter ONCE to the store without a helmet, just sunglasses, and it was loving miserable.

This is what gets to me too. It doesn't make sense. My shield is covered in bugs. How can you even open your eyes with all the wind blowing? Rocks and bugs and sand hitting your face? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I've never ridden without a helmet, though, so I've never tried.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sometimes I'll ride with my visor up when going faster than 25 because it feels nice, then i get hit in the face by something and I remember why I flip it down all the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

The safety pile-ons are amusing sometimes, but one thing Cycle Asylum does well is reinforce a safety and awareness culture in a broader community that sorely lacks both.

For example, it should not be seen as acceptable, culturally, that people go out on motorcycles without helmets. Yes, perhaps they should be legally allowed to do so, but they should be looked at as backcountry yokels like people who drive around town with several generations of their family in the bed of their pickup truck.

In that light, it's a long road to sensible motorcycling and I have no shame about drilling people on safety. Even if they don't listen, I think it helps build the right kind of culture when others see that feedback. My 2 cents.

This, the culture of safety is alive and well in CA, and I think most of us plan to keep it that way.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
All those Harley riders, so manly with the fat bugs pelting their faces. A few days ago I was riding in the odd 85 degree weather and some bug exploded all over the right side of my visor. It stuck there, its exoskeleton flapping furiously in the wind, stuck in the glue of its insides, until it finally sheared off 10 minutes later. Yum.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

MotoMind posted:

3D CT scan of someone who face planted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/in/set-72157601198404570/

Crap, that made me sick looking at it.

"Nothing ever comes between me and my Harley" into Google, and the image that comes up on the first few links. I'm ugly, but I'm not that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

iwentdoodie posted:

Even completely ignoring safety issues, that's like instant sunburn on my scalp and ears, the wind is SO drat loud, and the unmuffled mechanical din coming from between my legs is no good. Tried it because I could, hated it.

I don't buy that a half helmet or a 3/4 impairs visibility at all, and I can't really complain about visibility out of my full face; as far as I can tell I can see close to 180 degrees out of it. Noise-wise, a helmet takes enough out of the wind roar to be bearable.

the walkin dude posted:

All those Harley riders, so manly with the fat bugs pelting their faces.

I eat bugs with my full face on all summer. The visor comes up. :eng101:

e: You haven't lived until you've spit out chunks of dragonfly.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 18, 2012

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wanna look retro on your old bike? just pick up one of these bad boys.

They're even DOT and SNELLM85 certified! :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just found out a friend died in a wreck on Saturday.
A 17 year old in a Golf made an illegal u-turn (into a driveway) and wrecked him.
He just bought a new Aprilia too.

Another guy died the next day on that same stretch of road when he was hit by an oncoming SUV.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/virginia/2012/04/police-identify-motorcyclists-who-died-prince-william-crashes/494971

If you pray, please pray for him. If not, at least please remember to ride safe.
Obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=christopher-l-capo&pid=157082405

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A 17 year old in a Golf made an illegal u-turn (into a driveway) and wrecked him.

Another guy died the next day on that same stretch of road when he was hit by an oncoming SUV.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/virginia/2012/04/police-identify-motorcyclists-who-died-prince-william-crashes/494971

If you pray, please pray for him. If not, at least please remember to ride safe.
Obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=christopher-l-capo&pid=157082405
That's the scariest thing about riding, the thought that some dumb kid is going to suddenly pull a U in his dad's car in front of me while texting his buddies.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Terrible. Time to remind my best friend, a new rider with my old K5 SV650, to never trust anyone making turns in front of him. Never, never enough reminders.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm sorry man. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
RIP riders :(

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Obituary:

Condolences to Chris's family, especially his kids. :(

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sorry man. The whole thing just sounds really sad. :(

snail posted:

"Nothing ever comes between me and my Harley" into Google, and the image that comes up on the first few links. I'm ugly, but I'm not that.

gently caress, I could have gone my whole life without seeing that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Anyone know what makes have upcoming demo tours/demo days?

I'm going to the Harley-Davidson demo stop in Kennewick, WA with my dad this weekend. (e: and they're back in September, and according to the guy at this shop last time I visited the September visit will have '13 models. Ooo!)

And I just found out that Kawasaki has a similar tour coming by Seattle in June which I'll try to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I appreciate the sympathies, but more importantly I hope it serves as a reminder that even with protection, no amount of preparedness can save you from idiot drivers.

Ride safe guys.