Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
I'm in Law Revue at Columbia, and we made the ATL Finals :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CrazeeDonkee posted:

Patent prosecutors, how many hours do you spend on your office actions and applications? I have a friend who recently moved to another firm where the junior associates (0-2 years) are limited to 4-6 hours for office actions and 30 hours for applications. His prior firm was 8-10 for office actions and 35-40 for applications.

4-6 hours for office actions for a fairly new associate is definitely unreasonable, but 30 hours for new applications is not that unreasonable (depending on the subject matter and complexity of course).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

crankdatbatman posted:

If you look at my post history in this thread you'll see that I was looking into advice about law school and which college I should choose out of my lovely options in mid February. After some arguing with you guys, someone suggested I look into becoming a Patent Examiner with the USPTO, since I had the background for it and was interested in the Patent process. Well, I followed that advice and applied, and I got my offer today.

You were the first people I wanted to thank, so thank you very much for the advice and suggestions. Oddly enough, if it weren't for you, I would not have this opportunity today. Thanks again (even though law school may still be in the works in the not so near future).

Congrats. Please give us a tip.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Wife and son out of town for the week means i get to stay at the office til 9pm every day this week! Yaaay! Future lawyers, i am actually excited about this, this is what you become.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I'm in Law Revue at Columbia, and we made the ATL Finals :dance:

It's a good video. Better imo than the last CLS video that made it to the finals (The Law of Crime, '09/10).

God, we are such a goony school.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nero posted:

Wife and son out of town for the week means i get to stay at the office til 9pm every day this week! Yaaay! Future lawyers, i am actually excited about this, this is what you become.

Hahaha I had that exact same experience when my wife planned to spend a week with my son down in Miami. Unfortunately she cancelled so I didn't get that extra time.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

entris posted:

Hahaha I had that exact same experience when my wife planned to spend a week with my son down in Miami. Unfortunately she cancelled so I didn't get that extra time.

George Orwell posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nero posted:

For the first time ever, today I stayed at the office really late. I got home at 7:30. And that's only because I got spun a trial literally at 4:30pm today that starts tomorrow at 8:30.

God I love State work.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MechaFrogzilla posted:

It's a good video. Better imo than the last CLS video that made it to the finals (The Law of Crime, '09/10).

I thought it was easily the best this year so well done. Palsgraf from GW was corny as hell even if that one dude has some pipes.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Relinking the Gowlings articling skit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBC0IC2Crc

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Nero posted:

entris posted:

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think this more so has to do with having a wife and kids.

As a single guy, I have never been excited about staying later.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think this more so has to do with having a wife and kids.

Yeah that cuts into valuable video game time.

Konquest
Jan 12, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

Chemical Engineering. They didn't say which area specifically, but I'm assuming it could be polymer physics, electrochemistry, or materials since those what my background is in. Thanks for the offer!

Yep, CHE. I have my fingers crossed for you, though the coincidence of my news and your call probably means good news. Maybe a goon meet in the near future!

Mons Hubris posted:

Welp, third in line at the General Assembly. Now, do I take the USPTO job or find a small firm in Raleigh/try to start my own firm?

Congrats to both of you! I've been at the PTO for about a year and a half right now working in the healthcare area.. welcome to the club.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

I have bought several champions for League of Legends that I haven't been able to try yet. I've decided to stop buying new champions until I have foudn the time to try out the last three or four that I bought.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

I have logged into Eve 0wnline about three times since getting married (a year and a half ago).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Seriously, if I ain't out the door till 5:30 I turn into the biggest whiniest most petulant babby until I get to leave

But then again I love the people I love with so v:shobon:v

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Seriously, if I ain't out the door till 5:30 I turn into the biggest whiniest most petulant babby until I get to leave

But then again I love the people I love with so v:shobon:v

I too love the people I love with

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

gvibes posted:

I have logged into Eve 0wnline about three times since getting married (a year and a half ago).

Yes, but this means you won Eve.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I too love the people I love with
I need to start asking my secretary to proof my posts

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, but this means you won Eve.

I lost Eve a few weeks ago; installed it and joined up with the lego space goons.

(In fairness, it was $5 for ~2 months through Steam and I can totally see why it appeals to lawyer-types.)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zzyzx posted:

I lost Eve a few weeks ago; installed it and joined up with the lego space goons.

(In fairness, it was $5 for ~2 months through Steam and I can totally see why it appeals to lawyer-types.)

Partially because of the incredibly complex arcane undocumented nature of the game, partially because it enables and rewards being a sociopath.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Partially because of the incredibly complex arcane undocumented nature of the game, partially because it enables and rewards being a sociopath.

Possibly because it's really boring. The game is like a ww2 submarine simulator in space. It's terribly boring 99% of the time, then exciting for a moment, then you lag out and get instagibbed.

In between, you grind missions or rats.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
On the topic of dodging student loan debt, I've been keeping this scheme in my back pocket:

I'm a Canadian/USA dual citizen, so I can move to Canada and stop paying my loans. They sue me in US court on the debt, and I don't appear/default. Then they have to sue me in Canadian court to enforce the foreign judgment. While student loan debt isn't dischargeable in US bankruptcy, the debt resulting from the Canadian court's judgment enforcing the USA judgments is dischargeable in Canadian bankruptcy.

Plan C is to somehow become permanently and severely disabled.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HolySwissCheese posted:

Plan C is to somehow become permanently and severely disabled.

Attention law goons seeking to avoid their law school debt: I am willing to punch you really hard until you are permanently and severely disabled, for the low low price of $1,000. Just let me know.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
1L down. Overall, a good experience.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My wife has been able to discharge her loans through her master's. And she just had to become bipolar to do it.

Me, I hopped on the government teat. 118 more payments and I'm loan-forgiven.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The best part about working from home every weeknight is that I get to listen to my music. I always feel like such a badass when listening to Jay-Z as I revise trust documents for rich old white people.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

entris posted:

The best part about working from home every weeknight is that I get to listen to my music. I always feel like such a badass when listening to Jay-Z as I revise trust documents for rich old white people.
Offices should be sound proof so every associate can blare their own music. I'm like at least 1.5x more productive with music.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Green Crayons posted:

Offices should be sound proof so every associate can blare their own music. I'm like at least 1.5x more productive with music.

Headphones?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Seen it. Looks completely antisocial.

edit: That said, I've also seen a managing partner blare classical music at 6:30 from his CPU, sans headphones... so, yeah. Step One: Become managing partner. Step Two: Don't give a gently caress. Step three: Rain comma make it.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 19, 2012

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Heh, had a trial start this morning. 50 jurors summoned, defendant + ride were present, two DAs + cop + lab expert (other witnesses on call), judge saddled up, court clerk ready. Even a local criminal justice college student showed up to watch.

The only thing missing? The defense attorney. The judge called his office - twice - and no answer. He ended up ordering a co-worker down.

On Monday the defense attorney scheduled a trial to begin Wednesday, and he either forgot, or just blew it off, or something. Either way, he didn't even bother to call the courthouse to let the judge know. At the late-afternoon cause/sanction hearing, I've never seen a judge so pissed. The defense attorney had zero explanation. Hilarious.

Edit: Oh, and he didn't even apologize.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 19, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Heh, had a trial start this morning. 50 jurors summoned, defendant + ride were present, two DAs + cop + lab expert (other witnesses on call), judge saddled up, court clerk ready. Even a local criminal justice college student showed up to watch.

The only thing missing? The defense attorney. The judge called his office - twice - and no answer. He ended up ordering a co-worker down.

On Monday the defense attorney scheduled a trial to begin Wednesday, and he either forgot, or just blew it off, or something. Either way, he didn't even bother to call the courthouse to let the judge know. At the late-afternoon cause/sanction hearing, I've never seen a judge so pissed. The defense attorney had zero explanation. Hilarious.

Edit: Oh, and he didn't even apologize.

Private?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Private?

pd

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

pd

Goddammit.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm pretty sure I got my job because of music. Partner interviewing me had a guitar in his office so I brought up music and we started talking about instruments we played, favorite classical pieces, places to see music in the city, etc. Worked out pretty well. Interviews are strange.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

I have bought several champions for League of Legends that I haven't been able to try yet. I've decided to stop buying new champions until I have foudn the time to try out the last three or four that I bought.

Hope you bought rune sets before going after new champs ... surely you aren't using RP right??? Anyways, offer still stands - I can make you pro if you want. Until Guild Wars 2 comes out, that is.

[Edit]

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Sorry, I may be a traitor here but Palsgraf was better imo.

TheBestDeception fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 19, 2012

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
got my job because i told the hiring partner, whose daughter was in the process of petitioning him to buy the family a hamster, that his daughter's choice in pets "sucks"

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheBestDeception posted:

Hope you bought rune sets before going after new champs ... surely you aren't using RP right??? Anyways, offer still stands - I can make you pro if you want. Until Guild Wars 2 comes out, that is.

Nah I used RP. I only use IP for runes. I only buy champs on sale. I figure, if I'm working this hard and getting dolla dolla I might as well splurge on some stupid video game IAP.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Feces Starship posted:

got my job because i told the hiring partner, whose daughter was in the process of petitioning him to buy the family a hamster, that his daughter's choice in pets "sucks"

It was amazing how much easier it was to get offers and callbacks when I said "gently caress it," let let my guard down a little and said actual human being things like this instead of acting like an interview robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

entris posted:

Nah I used RP. I only use IP for runes. I only buy champs on sale. I figure, if I'm working this hard and getting dolla dolla I might as well splurge on some stupid video game IAP.

Oh right, you have a decent paying job. Well carry on then. (I get paid in health insurance and coffee).