Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

It sounds like a crowd cheering, to me. In fact, between that and the constant taunting, the promo video sounded like some bizarre Smash TV/Doom crossover.

Now that you mention it... gently caress, comparing it to Smash TV just made me change my mind. Bring in Smash TV quotes :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Does anyone know what HD texture pack he's using? It looks great.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I've been wanting a 3d smash tv for years.. I wanna make a map for killing floor themed around it.. except I don't know how to make maps for that.

Doom Smash TV! Reelism feels pretty close to me.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

get out posted:

Does anyone know what HD texture pack he's using? It looks great.

As posted on last page:

The description of the video posted:

Disclaimer:
1) Neither the Hi-Res textures or the levels will be included in the wad. They are separated modules. You can download the Hi-Res Textures anywhere (just type "HD Textures for Zdoom Download" in Google to find 'em). The map pack is a (still) unreleased revamp of Ultimate Doom maps made by me to add more detail to levels, and Doom 2 and Skulltag monsters and weapons. I will upload these maps soon as I get at least the entire Episode 1 done.

Or you can just visit here and hit the likely-looking links created by Google - I think the best-looking one is from the freelanzer.com domain.

I very much wanted to link to lmgtfy, but I held back. Just for you.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Welp. I'm dumb. Thanks. I realize there are several available, but I didn't know if anyone knew specifically which one he was using.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 18, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's really sad that you really have to search for high-res texture packs for ZDoom. They tend get buried/deleted on the official Doom forums because a lot of people really hate them.

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011
Are there any cool mods for duke3d aside from Attrition? Also, any mods for BLOOD I should know about?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Wow, Doom Builder 2 really is pretty easy to use. Following that tutorial, I actually managed to get ahead of myself and figure a few things out on my own. My first test level's got basically no gameplay, but I added some pretty cool details like a little cable running out of the teleport pad you start on and into the wall, and a lava pit in the floor that actually follows the edge of the hexagonal tiles. There is one thing that puzzles me, though. Is there a way to align top and bottom textures independently of one another? I haven't gotten all the way through the tutorial yet, so forgive me if this is addressed later on, but so far the only solution I found for doing top and bottoms is to hide them behind a small raised sector of something else. It looks alright, but for stuff like recessed lights it's kind of weird to have the front of it lighting all the way up the front of the light to the ceiling.

Once I get the hang of this, I think I'm gonna try my hand at something for the proposed SA Megawad. Thinking I might try and remake the first level of Rise of the Triad's shareware in a Doom setting, with some minor tweaks here and there to keep things fresh. Always loved that game as a kid and its level design is simple enough that most of it shouldn't be too much trouble. I'm going to call it "Rise Again" and it's going to be awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Swolegoat posted:

Are there any cool mods for duke3d aside from Attrition? Also, any mods for BLOOD I should know about?

For Blood? DeathWish. DeathWish is awesome.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Oh man I remember seeing that around back in the day.

And I want to see if anyone else remembers something id released back in the day. It was a CD that contained all of the Doom games, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, and I think a few other titles. What was weird about this disk was that it contained both demos and full versions of all of those games and what you were supposed to do was call a 1-800 number to buy and unlock them using a code/response-code system.

Naturally I had a 3.5" floppy with some cracking tool that I got from a classmate but I've never seen anything like it since.

It was the Quake demo CD. I still have it and I installed it on a win95 VM about a year ago after tracking down that very cracking tool you're talking about. I took this screenshot which I found amusing:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh man I totally remember the Quake CD unlock thing. That was huuuuuuuuge back in the day.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I'd like to submit my first completed doom map. It is short and hopefully hard. I spent all day on it, but using doom builder sure is fun!

Edit: Now different hosting.

Edit 2: Map is obsolete.

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 22, 2012

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Am I just blind or is there no way to download that without signing up for an account?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm still working on mine. I need to chop some stuff up, add a room, and then do some detail work.

Edit:

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 20, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I'm still working on mine. I need to chop some stuff up, add a room, and then do some detail work.

I don't know what it is but that is a very pretty map.

Out of curiosity what format do you guys map in? (ex. Doom in UMDF)

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Swolegoat posted:

Check the OP since there's quite a few around now. DukePlus is worth a look since it's got quite alot of maps for it now - WGRealms 2 is also good fun and my own AMC TC will keep you occupied for a long time as well.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Reive posted:

Out of curiosity what format do you guys map in? (ex. Doom in UMDF)

I think most people do UDMF since it supports a lot of new features that zdoom added.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to make a map for this but somehow whenever I try to make a map I end up with STRAIGHT HALLS SQUARE ROOMS HURPADERP. I guess doom mapping just doesn't trigger whatever part of my brain is good at not being retarded.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Doom builder has a built in tool for making curved walls but by the time I realized it was there I had already made all my curves. You can always start with square rooms and straight halls then just add things here and there. If I remember Q3 mapping you really made rooms square then had to use bevel tools.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

jimmy boag posted:

Am I just blind or is there no way to download that without signing up for an account?

Nope, I can't download it, either. Sanzuo, do you think you could re-host that somewhere else, like mediafire?

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Some random Mapedit screenshots from Death Wish:

Lets zoom in on one!

I'm surprised I didn't get more glitches making the sector-over-sector stuff :pwn:

Reive
May 21, 2009

FuriousGrey posted:

Some random Mapedit screenshots from Death Wish:

I'm surprised I didn't get more glitches making the sector-over-sector stuff :pwn:

Is that a DOS editor?

gently caress does that make me feel inadequate:

:effort:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Ugh, sorry I'm new at this.

edit: map is obsolete

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 22, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Doom builder has a built in tool for making curved walls but by the time I realized it was there I had already made all my curves. You can always start with square rooms and straight halls then just add things here and there. If I remember Q3 mapping you really made rooms square then had to use bevel tools.

Q3 was unique in that it had proper curved surfaces. Not approximations, but real actual curved surfaces. Unfortunately this caused a lot of seam issues when two curved surfaces met. These days, we have enough polygons and tessellation algorithms available to us that it doesn't matter anymore.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sanzuo posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?89j2z0uzvuld01l

I'm not sure if it was deliberate, but my experience went like this: Pushed a button that opened the first door. Immediately made a left and pushed the button that opens the door at the top of stairs. I then pushed a button on that same wall, which opened the door right next to it. At the end of this room, I pushed a button that opened a door across the hall from the room I was currently in. This room had an HK in it, and when I killed it, I pushed the button in its room and the map ended.

I thought it was just a short map, but when I reloaded it, I flew through some walls and realized there was a lot more to the map. Did you intend for the player to go through the map so quickly, possibly missing a lot of extra stuff? Or is it a mistake that I only had to press four switches to end the level?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did you intend for the player to go through the map so quickly, possibly missing a lot of extra stuff?

Pretty much. However nearly half the map is unlocked via secrets. When I designed the map I had a story in my head, and I kind of designed the map like an introduction to a much bigger campaign. So it was supposed to be a quick jaunt kind of like Entryway. I'm just not sure how to make it more challenging aside from adding more badguys.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Also, I believe I did my last two maps in "Boom" Format. If people make maps in "UDMF" format, will we be able to put them together in a WAD?

Sanzuo posted:

Pretty much. However nearly half the map is unlocked via secrets. When I designed the map I had a story in my head, and I kind of designed the map like an introduction to a much bigger campaign. So it was supposed to be a quick jaunt kind of like Entryway. I'm just not sure how to make it more challenging aside from adding more badguys.

Oh, okay, gotcha. That's sort of the feeling I got, but I figured I'd ask.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Q3 was unique in that it had proper curved surfaces. Not approximations, but real actual curved surfaces. Unfortunately this caused a lot of seam issues when two curved surfaces met. These days, we have enough polygons and tessellation algorithms available to us that it doesn't matter anymore.

Yeah I remember having to deal with seams and the proper way to do a curved surface was put a bevel up then behind it you used the "caulk" texture. This prevent leaks and rendering issues.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Reive posted:

Is that a DOS editor?

Mapedit is basically a better version of Duke3D's Build. Knowing the radius of a sound generator is priceless.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Sanzuo posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?89j2z0uzvuld01l
Cool map. Couldn't figure out the secrets though, I'd advise dropping some sort of subtle hint that that wall can be shot to open the doors.

Also getting walls to draw sky by making them regular untextured walls only works in ZDoom ports, as your map is Doom format it can be run in other sourceports and the effect is a hall of mirrors rather than sky. I'd advise learning the "proper" way to make sky textured walls just because it's a good habit to get into (it's in those tutorials).

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also, I believe I did my last two maps in "Boom" Format. If people make maps in "UDMF" format, will we be able to put them together in a WAD?
It'll be fine. You can mix and match map formats all you like, the only issue is using a sourceport that is compatible with all of them (ZDoom ports are fine in this regard, and those seem to be the only ones goons use so it's all good.)

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

H2Omelon posted:

Cool map. Couldn't figure out the secrets though, I'd advise dropping some sort of subtle hint that that wall can be shot to open the doors.

Thanks! I was worried that the secret was a little too secret. Maybe make some kind of obvious mis-matched texture?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

H2Omelon posted:

Also getting walls to draw sky by making them regular untextured walls only works in ZDoom ports, as your map is Doom format it can be run in other sourceports and the effect is a hall of mirrors rather than sky. I'd advise learning the "proper" way to make sky textured walls just because it's a good habit to get into (it's in those tutorials).

To which tutorials are you referring? The ones on the Doom Builder website are pretty basic. I found some tutorials about skyboxes, and they seem to require that the map be in zdoom format. (I just learned about the different formats a little while ago.)

Are there any good tutorials that you recommend? There seems to be a lot to this.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This was posted in this thread earlier:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/55372-my-unfinished-newbie-udmf-level-editing-guide/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God dammit I hate it when images aren't in-line in things like this :argh:

Thanks for the link.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Finally got Redneck Rampage over from GOG and it's pretty neat. There's a weird mechanic of armoring up through booze, but other than that, the setting is fun and goofy and the weapons are even goofier.

Yes, there's an alien tit gun. Yes, Austin Powers would be proud.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54418567/jimmy%20boag%202.wad

Here's my second map, it also includes an updated version of my first one.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I'm gonna be honest. The new level... is not very good. The design is off in a lot of ways, from the weird super narrow hallway in the first area to the rock textures all over the tops of the walls in the area across from there. I couldn't find the yellow key door until I used the automap. Also all the slogging through slime is kind of tedious.

The improved version of your first, however, is actually pretty nice. A little sparse in some areas still, but I definitely like it from a gameplay standpoint. The Archvile was kind of out of nowhere, but then I generally hate fighting them anyways. Your texturing really shows some character now, and that's pretty great. If you keep working on your design aesthetic, you could probably make some really good levels.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Here is my map so far. I am play testing it and trying to sort out a texture issue. I am dumb and ended up using a hand full of textures, about 7, from doom2, plutonia, and tnt.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

http://www.mediafire.com/?bxx3i7u34jb3yxj <--- A new and improved version of my first map. Please play it and tell me what you think! It is short.

Now I just need to figure out how to rename it and change the music and stuff.

Edit: Sorry, quick patch.

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sanzuo posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bxx3i7u34jb3yxj <--- A new and improved version of my first map. Please play it and tell me what you think! It is short.

Now I just need to figure out how to rename it and change the music and stuff.

Edit: Sorry, quick patch.

In my opinion, a lot better. I think you added the right amount of personality and texture to the map. Maybe scale back on the number of flickering lights you use, but it wouldn't kill me if you kept it the way it is. I also like the use of enemies spawning in, especially because you don't go overboard with them. I think it would fit well in a goon wad now.