Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is nothing worse than an organized factory demo truck ride day.

Hey everyone, grab a chaperone and ride down the 35MPH road!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

On a vastly lighter note, I walked into an Oakland barbershop and came out with this. I knew I should have left as soon as I saw the moustaches.

Any suggestions what kind of hair product I can use to keep it perfectly coiffed inside my helmet without getting gunk all over the liner?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Only wash your hair once a week. It makes for healthy hair and you can style it sans products :buddy:

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

MotoMind posted:

On a vastly lighter note, I walked into an Oakland barbershop and came out with this. I knew I should have left as soon as I saw the moustaches.

Any suggestions what kind of hair product I can use to keep it perfectly coiffed inside my helmet without getting gunk all over the liner?

Just get this helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVaDtjStBN0

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Spiffness posted:

There is nothing worse than an organized factory demo truck ride day.

Hey everyone, grab a chaperone and ride down the 35MPH road!

I wonder if the Harley ride will have us stopping in a mall parking lot or somewhere else people can look at how cool we all are on our Harley-Davidsons(tm).

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Does the Harley-Davidson Salesperson's Manual list which specific locations are best to stop in front of? :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MotoMind posted:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

And I just found out that Kawasaki has a similar tour coming by Seattle in June which I'll try to go to.

Has anyone done the Kawasaki demo before? I'd love to ride a ZX-6 or ZX-10, but i'm not getting up at 7AM on a Sunday to putter around a parking lot. Do you actually get to go for a decent ride?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
What's the worst they can do if you wheelie and rip up the parking lot? Ask you to leave?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not finding any premade stuff that'll mount a Dellorto PHF32 to a TS400(working with what I got), so I'm looking into DIY aluminum sand casting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZOTt9zTv0

How dumb am I?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Marv Hushman posted:

I don't want Fop, god dammit, I want Dapper Dan. I'm a Dapper Dan man!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
the "nothing comes between me and my harley" guy wasn't a motorcycle accident. He bit a blasting cap and it exploded and did that to his face. Don't play with explosives in or around your face.

e:or at least that's one of the theories. Either way, it looks more like an explosive or a shotgun to the chin than a guy without a lid.

invision fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I remember seeing that picture from a really long time ago, at least in internet time.

I always read it was a shotgun, but a blasting cap really wouldn't be surprising either.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Really? I thought it would have been something like giving Superman a blow job. :v:

I ordered an oil filter a couple of weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived. Living on an isolated island far far away from everything is fun(!)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I decided to splash out and pick up the official Honda repair manual and owners manual for my CB400T. They arrived a couple of days ago, so I had a quick thumb through them on the way home on the subway. Turns out I've been using the wrong spark plugs! I'm sure it's because the Canadian model is slightly different than the US one. Won't hurt to pick up the "proper" ones to see if there's any difference.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It might just be that spark plug nomenclature has changed since the manual was written. That's the case with mine.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I appreciate the sympathies, but more importantly I hope it serves as a reminder that even with protection, no amount of preparedness can save you from idiot drivers.

Ride safe guys.

RIP.

BUT, I don't agree with your U-turn sentiment. U-turning cars aren't magically plonked into your path. If I wasn't on the ball with random u-turns I would have hit the deck hundreds of times in London in the last year.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Ola posted:

It might just be that spark plug nomenclature has changed since the manual was written. That's the case with mine.

Yeah same with me. 76 CB550 they don't actually make a plug under the original part # anymore. Original NGK D7ES, current NGK D7EA

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

_Dav posted:

RIP.

BUT, I don't agree with your U-turn sentiment. U-turning cars aren't magically plonked into your path. If I wasn't on the ball with random u-turns I would have hit the deck hundreds of times in London in the last year.

This road is very curvy and hilly, it's possible that he either didn't see the car until it was too late.

Reports I've heard state that the kid just whipped right in front of him and stopped. There's nowhere to u-turn on that road so I'm assuming he pulled partially into driveway quickly and was planning on backing out to turn around.

This is also a narrow road. You're shoulder to trees around corners. The article says he tried to avoid but I don't know how. There's not really any room to make much of an avoidance maneuver.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This road is very curvy and hilly, it's possible that he either didn't see the car until it was too late.

Reports I've heard state that the kid just whipped right in front of him and stopped. There's nowhere to u-turn on that road so I'm assuming he pulled partially into driveway quickly and was planning on backing out to turn around.

This is also a narrow road. You're shoulder to trees around corners. The article says he tried to avoid but I don't know how. There's not really any room to make much of an avoidance maneuver.

I just picked up Proficient Motorcycling this morning, and the point that was drilled into my head as I read at the gym is don't ride faster than you can see. I know I'm guilty of that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

I just picked up Proficient Motorcycling this morning, and the point that was drilled into my head as I read at the gym is don't ride faster than you can see. I know I'm guilty of that.

I'm actually guilty of that on this very same road. Every corner is a blind corner+hill and the speed limit is something stupidly high like 50 or 55mph.
I usually take it at about 45 but even then, I don't think you could go 30 and stop in time on some of these corners.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

This. I'm guilty too.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you're gonna have a hard time finding anyone who isn't guilty of that, even scooter riders sometimes.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So one of the scooter shops in my area - Seattle Cycle/Scooter Center - just starting carrying Cleveland Cyclewerks.

At Backfire Moto last night one of the guys brought out a "tha Misfit" to show off:

Initial impressions are good. It feels pretty well put-together for the price point ($3,200). The motor is by Lifan, though I'm not sure if they put the rest of the bike together or not (it is Chinese-made, though). It looks really nice up close, no real obvious signs of being cheap. Some nice finishing details, like steel braided brake lines. It's a 230cc 4t single, good for about 12hp. It weighs around 300lbs. 77mpg, he says.

It certainly looks the part. It was getting a LOT of attention at Backfire, surrounded by countless cool and interesting bikes of all types and age.

The guy from Cycle Center said CCW is working on building an aftermarket for their bikes. For "tha Misfit" he mentioned a cafe fairing, rearsets, and aftermarket exhaust (part of a package to get it to 16hp).

I'm gonna try and pop in next week to see if they'll let me take it for a test ride ~

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
That's cool, I really like those underpowered and understandably cheap bikes. I'm guessing its pretty much in scooter territory and cant really do highway duty? Living in LA kind of implies you want a bike that can do freeway speeds to get anywhere within a reasonable amount of time, and it probably cant handle that kind of speed at 12HP haha.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

My go-to is

"It is my decision and I am willing to accept that risk."

They're just trying to gauge if you're serious about that lecture.

Unless you're fully self-insured healthwise (and by that, I mean cash in the bank, not a health insurance policy), you're putting the cost of your decision onto others, in addition to filling up ICUs and ERs for longer, and keeping FDs and EMS engaged for longer. So yes, it's your decision, but society pays for it. You're welcome!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Well, no longer in the never dropped it on pavement club. Hit a pile of sand going 1 MPH. Broke the turn signal lens off. Engine guards did their job. Giant nerdventure r1100gs was surprisingly easy to lift.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 20, 2012

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Don't think so. Recommended US plug: D8EA (what I've been using)

Canadian plug: DR8ES-L

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

I've had this problem driving through dark and twisty highways in Alabama. I'm not going to take a tight curve that I can't see through at speed, but then I risk getting run over by traffic plowing through behind me.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Just got back from my first MSF class :toot:, they had a bunch of suzuki cruisers but I ended up with a yamaha dirt/road bike with a loose clutch, probably only went up to 35 but im hooked now, I just need to find a good bike near me thats cheap but all the 10 year old ninja 250s are selling for nearly the same price as a new one :psyduck:.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tenchrono posted:

Just got back from my first MSF class :toot:, they had a bunch of suzuki cruisers but I ended up with a yamaha dirt/road bike with a loose clutch, probably only went up to 35 but im hooked now, I just need to find a good bike near me thats cheap but all the 10 year old ninja 250s are selling for nearly the same price as a new one :psyduck:.

Where are you located? That seems artificially high.

Edit: Also, welcome to the motorbikle club!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

The way to handle that is message them and offer just a hair lower than you think it's worth. Worst they'll do is ignore it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Motorcycles sure are great.:D

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

The way to handle that is message them and offer just a hair lower than you think it's worth. Worst they'll do is ignore it.

Northern Virginia, 30ish miles south of DC. I found this in the color I want: http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2929188889.html

He wants 2k for it but kbb says $1000 for trade in value and $1,500 for retail from a dealer, should I offer 1200 and see where it goes?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Personally it annoys me when someone lowballs me over email having not seen the bike.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

2 grand would be a fair price for that to be completely honest - maybe offer him 1800 and go from there? I'd laugh away anyone who offered me under 1500 for that bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ideally I like to see it in person before talking price but if it's a drive might as well potentially save some time and gas by seeing where the seller really wants to be. Most sellers put up an optimistic asking price after all.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah thats what I was thinking too that it was too low, He lives in the same town as me so it wouldnt be that far of a drive. I'll give him/her a call on monday about it to see If I can atleast ride it around his neighbourhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

Personally it annoys me when someone lowballs me over email having not seen the bike.

eh... being on the other side of that fence most of the time I can understand. Generally I'll just say "look all I've got to spend on a bike right now is $x. I know it's not what you want but it's all I can afford. If you can't get your price and want it gone, let me know."

SO when It happens to me I just say thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you if I need to.