Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Two questions here:

Was on my way to work in my 04 WRX, and being a fool slipped the clutch a little in the top 1/3 of the rpm range while accelerating away onto a highway. Came to a stop at a red light a little later and had lost the ability to put my car in any gear. Nothing except a burning clutch smell. Pushed my still idling car out of the road into the median area and called for a tow. Then after about 10 minutes the ability to put it in gear came back and away I went. That was 2 weeks ago, the car drives fine, no noise or smells from underneath. Car seems back to normal. FWIW, there is about 75K on the odo, and the clutch is original. Is there some "idiot-lock-out-mode" I discovered or is something near the end of its service life?

Part two, the fiance and I like the wrx and her 2002 Jetta wagon 1.8T is starting to be less and less reliable. We are planning for another subie. We are both leaning towards another WRX. I hear the 2006/7 is a good vintage. We could swing a newer one, but if the 06 will meet our needs well enough, should we just go that route? Thoughts on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Part two, the fiance and I like the wrx and her 2002 Jetta wagon 1.8T is starting to be less and less reliable. We are planning for another subie. We are both leaning towards another WRX. I hear the 2006/7 is a good vintage. We could swing a newer one, but if the 06 will meet our needs well enough, should we just go that route? Thoughts on this?
Get an 06 if you can. They're the best (but I admit I'm a tad biased).

I'm not sure about your clutch but I'd start by looking at the clutch master cylinder fluid - make sure it's not low. It sounds like you might have temporarily glazed the clutch with your incident but that shouldn't affect your ability to shift gears.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Well I pulled the bumper cover and the brush guard off and everything looks fine as expected. While i was down there I noticed this hose leading to nowhere:

:wtc: is that? The silver thing in the bottom left of the picture is the passenger LCA.

Edit: 2011 STi hatch.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 15, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably a drain for something. Could be AC, could be coolant, could just be the chassis - not sure about how the GR engine bay is structured. Based on how far back it seems to be, I'm guessing rain rail. Try pouring some water on the hood at the base of the windshield and see if any comes out there.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Get an 06 if you can. They're the best (but I admit I'm a tad biased).

I'm not sure about your clutch but I'd start by looking at the clutch master cylinder fluid - make sure it's not low. It sounds like you might have temporarily glazed the clutch with your incident but that shouldn't affect your ability to shift gears.
The 06 really is the best WRX of that generation. Lots of little things make it better than the other years. Aluminum control arms, usually can do the castor trick, 2.5 turbo, etc.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

:wtc: is that? The silver thing in the bottom left of the picture is the passenger LCA.

Edit: 2011 STi hatch.

a/c drain

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Wrar posted:

The 06 really is the best WRX of that generation. Lots of little things make it better than the other years. Aluminum control arms, usually can do the castor trick, 2.5 turbo, etc.

I'd take an 06 over an 07 if all other things were the same, but I certainly wouldn't pass up an 07. Either one is substantially better than an 02-05.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Does anyone use here koni sports on their 3rd gen. impreza/wrx/sti?

Considering either a pair of koni's or feal's, but I'm mostly leaning toward the koni's due to their price(20% off currently).

My plan is to pair them with (currently installed) RCE Yellows. Are the dampers noticeably stiff for daily use?

Also, vendorchat, does anyone know of any vendors that offer free shipping + no tax in CA? The best price for the set of koni's that I've found so far is $560 shipped.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Feal stuff is great but it is hard to beat the deal on konis right now at $200+ less. They are adjustable and you won't really get added stiffness out of them if you don't want.

And funny you should ask about the vendor thing. You don't have pm so shoot me an email- peter at functionauto.com

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 16, 2012

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
2011 WRX here: My transmission makes this terrible grinding noise, particularly when it is not warmed up, whenever I'm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears and I let off the accelerator and coast in gear. It mainly happens when I'm below 2000 RPM. At first, I thought "oh god what have I done?" But I always take my time on shifts, and never manhandle the shifter. I'm thinking of swapping out the tranny oil for the Motul stuff, as I've heard that it drastically helps with synchro engagement and that it helps a lot with gear noise. Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. only mod is an accessport stage1, and a kartboy shifter with all the bushings.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I would go right back to the dealer, mine doesn't do that.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blargle posted:

I would go right back to the dealer, mine doesn't do that.

Seconded. You're under warranty, why bother (paying)figuring it out yourself?

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
Think they can justifiably give me poo poo about the short shifter with weird noise coming from the transmission? Someone said it's because the transmission has straight cut gears, but I'm not sure.

I'm going in for a new throwout bearing as well (apparently 2011 had a problem with throwout bearing), so maybe I can roll all of this in. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Danger Doug fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 17, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You don't have straight cut gears mate. You can look on Youtube for cars with straight cut gears for an example of the sound.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CharlesM posted:

You don't have straight cut gears mate. You can look on Youtube for cars with straight cut gears for an example of the sound.

It'll sound like a cheap radio-controlled car, only about ten-thousand times louder.

Although you do usually have one straight-cut gear on reverse.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 17, 2012

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Yeah I didn't think so either, but my only exposure to straight gears was my grandpappy's RACIN' CAR, and figured my car probably had some noise reduction, unlike that Ear-Raping Machine.

This car is becoming a giant pain in the rear end with all of the problems I'm having :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry to hear it. Many years ago I was having a lot of problems with my 2003 WRX. It took a long trip to a good dealer to get it resolved. The local dealer was useless. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

And funny you should ask about the vendor thing. You don't have pm so shoot me an email- peter at functionauto.com

Email sent - if you can be a local presence for me for orders from USA sites even that would help. I'll definatly be asking for parts for the new project.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
My dealership just tried to tell me I need new rotors on my STi and that it will cost $3000, or $968 to only replace my brake pads which will "cause the car to shudder and shriek under braking".

I put some new brake pads on today after getting my car the hell out of the dealership. My rotors are fine. That was some shady, shady poo poo, subaru dealer.

edit: wording

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 17, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

jeez. full set of centric blanks and stoptech pads is like $600 tops. $300 to install if the shop is expensive.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

jamal posted:

jeez. full set of centric blanks and stoptech pads is like $600 tops. $300 to install if the shop is expensive.

I know! I was gonna tell them that but my mouth was too busy spewing out "Get my car off that lift!"

I don't even need rotors, but I'm glad I looked up online how much the sets of 4 blanks with pads were.

edit: if any of you guys ever legitimately need rotors, read jamal's post ok.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Roman Rambo posted:

My dealership just tried to tell me I need new rotors on my STi and that it will cost $3000, or $968 to only replace my brake pads which will "cause the car to shudder and shriek under braking".

I put some new brake pads on today after getting my car the hell out of the dealership. My rotors are fine. That was some shady, shady poo poo, subaru dealer.

I'd be filing a complaint with soa about that dealer as well. I have no idea how they could possibly justify what they told you. It's not like cars are flying off the lot right now. It is in the manufactures best interest to ensure customers are getting an appropriate level of service.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amandyke posted:

I'd be filing a complaint with soa about that dealer as well. I have no idea how they could possibly justify what they told you. It's not like cars are flying off the lot right now. It is in the manufactures best interest to ensure customers are getting an appropriate level of service.

The sad part is, Subaru OWNED dealers are more liable to do it, the story of unneeded brake changes is far, FAR too common with Subaru. Vogon Engineer had his Forester in for server and they tried the same thing.

Subaru dealer service is ridiculous.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Are you sure you didn't stop at the Porsche dealer? :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

when the sti was new they could almost get away with it because no one had aftermarket rotors for the brembos. and then they give the whole "oh well you have these high performance sti brembo brakes and the parts are expensive" story. Nevermind that the calipers and pads are used on dozens of other cars.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
One of the techs who used to work where I do was telling me they would always change the rotors out when they did pads because the extra work was so little compared to the bump in pay time for doing it. The writers didn't care cause they convinced the customers to do it, or the techs would stroll in and be like hey these rotors are bad you should replace them so you don't mess up your new pads and have to come back for it sooner than you should.

This was before BMW made you keep parts on hand (or send them in I forget) for a while so they could have people come in sometimes and check to see if you are doing poo poo legit or not so they can decide whether to pay you or say hey your doing these when you don't need to we aren't paying for it. So because they didn't need to keep them on hand they would take them to the scrap yard and pocket that extra cash too. They eventually caught wise, but they had a nice run between the extra pay time + bringing a truck load of rotors to the scrap yard every couple weeks.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can anyone help me with my Saab 9-2x? The check engine light is on and the tech told me I need a port one emissions sensor but I cannot figure out what I am supposed to order. He said they can't sell it for less than 400 but I can order it for 200 but I am lost. I see a bunch of oxygen sensors but I have no clue what he means by port 1. I figured before I spent 200 more I'd try asking here.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So here is something odd. I've been using http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/ to look up parts for my Subaru RS project. There are two listing for my car:

2500CC EMPI SOHC NA
2500CC EMPI SOHC NA

Most of the parts seem t be identical, but in the body area, it seems that there are two dates of note: The first is 97, December — '99, June and the second is '98, August — '00, June.

My vehicle is made in 04/99. What gives? Some kind of mid year model change?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yes, the 98 got a phase 1 dohc engine. 99-01 was phase 2 dohc. the transmission is a little different because of this too. I can look up part numbers with a vin if there is something specific that you want to be sure of before ordering.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
SOHC or DOHC for the 99 - 01? The engine in the 99 that I have has 2 camshaft pulleys, and the 98 has 4 pulleys. Or maybe they are both DOHC?

Edit - Engine code is EJ253AWLVB. Edit2 - According to Wikim It appears this engine was only used for one year, and then not used again until 2005? That seems really odd.

daslog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 18, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

98 is DOHC

99 is SOHC with either a MAP or MAF, the opposite of what the 00 to 0X (when ever they changed to the fancy rear end vtech motors).

00 to 0whenever is all SOHC and interchangeable.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone help me with my Saab 9-2x? The check engine light is on and the tech told me I need a port one emissions sensor but I cannot figure out what I am supposed to order. He said they can't sell it for less than 400 but I can order it for 200 but I am lost. I see a bunch of oxygen sensors but I have no clue what he means by port 1. I figured before I spent 200 more I'd try asking here.

Go to your local autozone or whatever parts store. Have them pull the code for free. Tell us the code and we'll tell you what to buy and how much it should cost. gently caress dealerships.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Hey Jamal I sent you an email about making a RACE CAR.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Slow is Fast posted:

Go to your local autozone or whatever parts store. Have them pull the code for free. Tell us the code and we'll tell you what to buy and how much it should cost. gently caress dealerships.
Do this.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
In 2006 did subaru make any WRXs in colors other than shades of grey?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Roman Rambo posted:

Ugh, that's just wrong. I don't like my local dealer either. I've only been down a few times, but they've been pretty bad each time.

:) "Hey, I've got this really annoying rattle in the front driver's side.."

:argh: "LET ME GUESS, IT STARTED WHEN YOU PUT THOSE AFTERMARKET WHEELS ON."

Also: (while waiting for them to reprogram my ecm)

:) "Hey, do you guys have any WRX's on the lot?

:quagmire: "No, but we have the 2012 Impreza!!!"

Me: :stare:

Also, this last time I was in, they got greasy handprints on my freshly polished and waxed hood and fenders. That's just friggin rude.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I believe 2006 was the only year they had Steel Grey Metallic instead of Urban Grey Metallic for later years, so I don't know what you're complaining about (unless there was some technical reason for the switch). Although it's still inferior to the best Subaru paint color, Diamond Grey Metallic (DGR).

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 18, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Aspen White, Steel Grey Metallic, Crystal Grey Metallic, San Remo Red, WR Blue, and Obsidian Black Pearl.

Diamond > Urban > Steel > Crystal

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe 2006 was the only year they had Steel Grey Metallic instead of Urban Grey Metallic for later years, so I don't know what you're complaining about (unless there was some technical reason for the switch). Although it's still inferior to the best Subaru paint color, World Rally Blue (WRB).

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
All I see around here after looking are grey, although I admit I did not know there were some many varieties. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up a little.