Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

VikingSkull posted:

Reading the comments on some of the news sites is hilarious. People are still bitching that Houston didn't get one, and they are boggled that the Intrepid is getting one. One literally said "why would an aircraft carrier get NASA stuff".

Maybe if Houston would send some of the old rocket poo poo to the Intrepid to commemorate, you know, the Intrepid picking them out of the sea this wouldn't have happened. gently caress you, Houston!

There should be hydraulically operated struts under the shuttle so the pilot could adjust it like a supermodified wing.

gently caress you right back. Every loving astronaut trained at JSC, mission control is at JSC. A shuttle would look real nice sitting next to our Saturn V.

gently caress NYC and gently caress that smug bastard Chuck Schumer for gloating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PhotoKirk posted:

gently caress NYC and gently caress that smug bastard Chuck Schumer for gloating.

I can actually get behind this idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

Wasn't it someone here that said Texas already got Columbia?

Yup.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Didn't NASA require that whoever gets the shuttles stores them indoors at all times? How is the Intrepid going to deal with that?
http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/shuttle/

quote:

The shuttle will then be lifted by crane and placed on the flight deck of the Intrepid where it will be on exhibit to the public starting this summer in a temporary climate-controlled pavilion that will feature innovative elements in an exciting and immersive experience for visitors. The Intrepid continues to work on a permanent exhibit facility to showcase Enterprise that will enhance the museum’s space-related exhibits and education curriculum.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Didn't NASA require that whoever gets the shuttles stores them indoors at all times? How is the Intrepid going to deal with that?

They're going to build a glass hanger for their space exhibit on pier 86, apparently.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if they had come up with something yet, or were just going to slap it somewhere in that 150sq ft of deck they had left.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

The California Science Center also doesn't have their shuttle space built yet.

OTOH, it makes sense they would only need a plan at bid time, rather than a finished build.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

From what I heard from some NASA folk when I was down in Orlando, one of the reasons Houston didn't end up with a shuttle is that they half-assed their proposal and Hutchison/Cornyn et al didn't put much effort into pushing for it. The general attitude was "well of course Houston's going to get one! :v:" and didn't bother taking the selection process seriously, and then when it ended up getting sent to NYC they starting pissing and moaning about it.

Don't know how much truth there is to it but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Totally didn't realize Thunder Over Louisville was this weekend. Anyone know where I could find a map of the plane flight paths? I'm not having luck with google and flightaware. I want to find a good park to view the planes from since I didn't get in early enough on the prime locations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

More Discovery.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Was the Enterprise decision made by NASA or the Smithsonian?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Ola posted:

Really if anything should be the product of that relationship it should be an X-37, aka the derpiest shuttle:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Ola posted:

Hahaha, I can't believe I almost missed the end of that .gif

In airplane related news, anyone in South Carolina on May 5-6 should come by Shaw AFB for the bi-annual Shaw Air Expo. This year's lineup isn't nearly as great as previous years due to budget cuts, but it's still something. I just can't believe they have an F-22 flying down from Langley for a static display and it won't even be doing an aerial display.

I think the performance I'm most excited for is the L-6 "Jelly Belly Plane", which was there 2 years ago. Seeing that little Piper Cub do its thing was way cooler than anything else that was there, including the T-Birds.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Really if anything should be the product of that relationship it should be an X-37, aka the derpiest shuttle:

It looks like an Orca.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

pkells posted:

Hahaha, I can't believe I almost missed the end of that .gif

In airplane related news, anyone in South Carolina on May 5-6 should come by Shaw AFB for the bi-annual Shaw Air Expo. This year's lineup isn't nearly as great as previous years due to budget cuts, but it's still something. I just can't believe they have an F-22 flying down from Langley for a static display and it won't even be doing an aerial display.

Yeah kind of pissed me off too about the Raptor. Maybe we'll get lucky and something will show up that isn't on the schedule. Like the B2 that flew over to the Beaufort show last year.

That 4 ship F-16 demo with 'splosions should be neat.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Preoptopus posted:

I guess while we are at it...

That picture makes me chuckle, because it reminds me of what AW&ST did at the B-2's first public unveiling...it was at Plant 42, and the USAF had that poo poo on lockdown. Obviously what they were most concerned about was people seeing the planform and the suppressed exhaust, so they make sure that people on the ground could only take pictures from the front. Key word there is "on the ground," because since they neglected to throw up any sort of airspace restriction AW&ST just flew a Cessna over and took pictures of everything the USAF didn't want them to see.

slidebite posted:

Wasn't it someone here that said Texas already got Columbia?

Ice cold.

pkells posted:

I just can't believe they have an F-22 flying down from Langley for a static display and it won't even be doing an aerial display.

Generally speaking you only see non-demo team pilots flying a demo if they are at home station and have time to go through the approval process/getting everything squared away legally (IIRC there's a less rigorous approval process if you are doing a one-time deal at only one base instead of the approval process the demo team has to go through). So basically unless you get the demo team (there's only one jet) or you go to the Langley, Elmendorf, Tyndall, or Holloman (if they even still have Raptors there) shows, you aren't going to see an F-22 aerial display.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Is there a larger version/source for that? Because I'd seriously frame that on my wall.

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty sure that I've seen it in color, and that it is a photoshop. For one thing, that isn't the cape in the background.

ere we go
http://500px.com/photo/5431139 Richard Silvera

Preoptopus posted:

nuts :(

Hey boys, I've got a present for you :wink:

Click for 3k*1.5k

That's Challenger rolling through the fog on the way to the launch pad. Here's the official NASA page on the image: http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/detail.cfm?mediaid=23304

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
I've just read this and now I'm a bit confused. Isn't the F-35C meant to be the Super Hornet replacement?

http://defensetech.org/2012/04/16/the-navy-kicks-off-the-search-for-its-next-fighter

"Speaking of F/A-XX, the Navy’s planned 6th generation fighter that will replace the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, below you’ll find the Navy’s brand new Request for Information on the aircraft. By Brand new, I mean it just dropped on Friday.

Whatever jet is selected will hopefully replace the Super Hornets around 2030, said Rear Adm. Donald Gaddis this afternoon at the Navy League’s annual Sea, Air, Space conference in National Harbor, Md. Before the Navy can settle on the final capabilities such a plane will have, it needs to know what types of technology the defense industry can bring to the table for a brand new fighter that will be fielded in less than two decades, said Gaddis. The new jet must be able to survive in anti-access environment, have next-gen sensors and maybe even the ability to ‘buddy’ refuel other fighters and perform airborne early warning (AEW) duties, according to Gaddis."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Skipping the 5th generation altogether.

A gently caress the Air Force move if I've ever seen one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The -C model is probably done now. The UK have changed their mind yet again (STOVL! No, cats! No, STOVL! No, cats! No, STOVL!) and the USN hates single engined planes.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Hoopy Frood posted:

I've just read this and now I'm a bit confused. Isn't the F-35C meant to be the Super Hornet replacement?

http://defensetech.org/2012/04/16/the-navy-kicks-off-the-search-for-its-next-fighter

"Speaking of F/A-XX, the Navy’s planned 6th generation fighter that will replace the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, below you’ll find the Navy’s brand new Request for Information on the aircraft. By Brand new, I mean it just dropped on Friday.

Whatever jet is selected will hopefully replace the Super Hornets around 2030, said Rear Adm. Donald Gaddis this afternoon at the Navy League’s annual Sea, Air, Space conference in National Harbor, Md. Before the Navy can settle on the final capabilities such a plane will have, it needs to know what types of technology the defense industry can bring to the table for a brand new fighter that will be fielded in less than two decades, said Gaddis. The new jet must be able to survive in anti-access environment, have next-gen sensors and maybe even the ability to ‘buddy’ refuel other fighters and perform airborne early warning (AEW) duties, according to Gaddis."

The 35C is a Hornet replacement.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Skipping the 5th generation altogether.

A gently caress the Air Force move if I've ever seen one.

F-35?

Octoduck posted:

The 35C is a Hornet replacement.

It'll displace some of the Super Hornets, but yeah really it's a move to replace the older airframes and make the Navy feel less reliant on the AF in a highly contested environment.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Yeah yeah yeah, chopper time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZUXNeBoHo&feature=related

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Just saw this on the news while eating lunch.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/19/pilot-unresponsive-as-small-plane-circles-above-gulf/?hpt=hp_t2

quote:

Pilot unresponsive as small plane circles above Gulf
The U.S.

Coast Guard is mobilizing rescue crews and warning ships in the Gulf of Mexico to look out for a small plane whose pilot appears to be unresponsive, a spokesman for the service said Thursday.

The aircraft, a Cessna 421, was circling late Thursday morning at 28,000 feet, roughly 150 miles south of Crestview, Florida, a Federal Aviation Administration source told CNN.

The Air Force sent planes to observe the Cessna, and the Air Force pilots reported that the Cessna's windows were either iced over or fogged over, and the pilot was not responding to radio communications, Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer John Edwards said.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

burtonos posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, chopper time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZUXNeBoHo&feature=related

Jesus Christ. Imagine being a red AAA vehicle trying to get that guy.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Mile high club attempt?

Edit: Whoops, missed the altitude.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 19, 2012

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

My money is on hypoxia.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SwimNurd posted:

My money is on hypoxia.

Mine too. Circling at 28,000 feet with a blue faced dead guy at the controls.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ran out of gas and crashed. Looks like the pilot's the only one who was on board, at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Track from the A/T aviation thread:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gently caress, that's eerie. And sad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Poor guy. That's a real poo poo way to go in aviation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've thought about some sort of safety device on autopilots before, particularly on smaller pressurized aircraft which have had quite a few hypoxia accidents the past years (hell, even a 737). Basically it requires some input every now and then. Proceed to next waypoint Y/N? type of thing. If it doesn't get a response after escalating its flashing lights for a few seconds, descend quickly (but within safe parameters) to some sort of holding patterns and automatically squawk some pre-determined code for automated emergency descent.

Thinking it through, if it takes too long to commit to a descent, all it does is contain the plane no longer in control and warn the surroundings until it runs out of fuel. I suppose what is really needed is a sensor for absolute pressure and oxygen partial pressure connected to a big klaxon and a sign that flashes loving DESCEND NOW NOW. If no response in 10 seconds, automated descent.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ola posted:

I've thought about some sort of safety device on autopilots before, particularly on smaller pressurized aircraft which have had quite a few hypoxia accidents the past years (hell, even a 737). Basically it requires some input every now and then. Proceed to next waypoint Y/N? type of thing. If it doesn't get a response after escalating its flashing lights for a few seconds, descend quickly (but within safe parameters) to some sort of holding patterns and automatically squawk some pre-determined code for automated emergency descent.

Thinking it through, if it takes too long to commit to a descent, all it does is contain the plane no longer in control and warn the surroundings until it runs out of fuel. I suppose what is really needed is a sensor for absolute pressure and oxygen partial pressure connected to a big klaxon and a sign that flashes loving DESCEND NOW NOW. If no response in 10 seconds, automated descent.

The Boeing 777 (and, I imagine, all subsequent Boeing models) and the FBW Airbuses all have a sort of "dead-man switch" mode, where progressively more noticeable alarms will go off in the cockpit if no crew input is detected for a period of time.

On the topic of a "get me down" autopilot mode, the only civil aircraft I can think of that have one are the Gulfstream G650 and, incredibly, just about any light GA aircraft equipped with later revisions of the Garmin G1000 (the technology gap between a modern airliner and a modern Cessna/Piper is absolutely staggering, and not in the direction you'd think either). I imagine many more will have this feature in years to come.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HeyEng posted:

Poor guy. That's a real poo poo way to go in aviation.

Getting mentally distracted as you drift into hypoxia and passing out? Honestly that's probably about the most pleasant way to die.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Bad week for air travel. Im flying accross the pond on Sunday, I know I shouldn't be tweaked out but I cant help feel a little uneasy..:ohdear:

quote:

Airliner crashes near Islamabad airport

Aleem Maqbool in Islamabad says there are serious safety concerns about Pakistan's domestic airlines
A plane carrying up to 127 people has crashed in a residential area near Islamabad international airport.

Aviation officials said the Bhoja Air jet, flight BHO-213, was flying from Karachi to Islamabad when it crashed in bad weather near Chaklala, Rawalpindi.

Emergency teams are at the crash site, reported to be at Hussain Abad village near Bahria town.

There are no reports of survivors. Rescue teams are trying to assess if there are any casualties on the ground.

'Fire erupted'

People have been searching the wreckage of the plane using light from their mobile phones
Reports suggest the plane, believed to be a Boeing 737 carrying 118 passengers and nine crew, was making its final approach to the airport when the crash happened.

Hafeez Chachar, of the BBC Urdu service, who is near the site of the crash, said seats from the plane were strewn around and that people were searching the wreckage using light from their mobile phones.

Witness Samab Ahmad told BBC World: "I'm working on a construction site not far from the landing strip and I saw it with my own eyes. I saw the plane crash land and then suddenly catch fire.

"It crashed on top of some sort of building, which could be residential. I can still see the fire from the distance. It's a terrible, terrible scene. I heard the emergency services going to the scene too, including a helicopter."

Saifur Rehman, from a police rescue team, told Geo TV: "Fire erupted after the crash. The wreckage is on fire, the plane is completely destroyed.

A police official at the crash site, Fazle Akbar, told AFP news agency the plane had been totally destroyed and it would be a miracle if there were any survivors.

The jet left Karachi at around 17:00 local time (12:00 GMT) and had been due to arrive at 18:50 (13:50 GMT).

There were reports of rainstorms in the area at the time, but it is likely to take investigators weeks to determine the cause of the crash.

Bhoja Air is a small new commercial airline which was started about 10 years ago but closed because of financial difficulties. It recently re-opened.

Last July, an Airbus A321 crashed as it was about to land in Islamabad, killing all 152 people on board.

Although Pakistan's air industry has been booming, critics say standards have not always kept pace with the increase in services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17788698

\/ Logical thinking. Thanks. :)

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 20, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Preoptopus posted:

Bad week for air travel. Im flying accross the pond on Sunday, I know I shouldn't be tweaked out but I cant help feel a little uneasy..:ohdear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17788698

Unless you're flying over in a Cessna or a Pakistani 737 I think you'll be fine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Plus, law of averages is now on your side. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

manic mike posted:

Nice, that looks an awful lot like the AMP program C-130s.

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/support/maintenance/c130/index.html

Just so you know, AMP is dead. Sorry. I'm upset too.

Instead, they are doing this:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/rtic.htm