Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My father collects depression era Westmoreland glass. You record collectors don't have poo poo on him.

Oh and none of it is cataloged with estimated value or price paid. He has about 2 living rooms and a basement full.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Well, this turned out far better than I thought!! I couldn't find a copy of Portugal. The Man's Censored Colors anywhere until I thought to look at their MerchNow page. I ordered it along with another LP and then got an email saying it was out of stock, and they refunded me the cost. So I was kinda bummed. Then I get home and it turns out I'm a retard or something and the OTHER LP was the one out of stock. So now I'm only missing It's Complicated Being a Wizard to finish my discog. I don't have either of their 7" but I don't really care that much.

Also picked up recently:

Tom Waits - Bad as Me
Sigur Rós - Inni
Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for my Halo
Wavves - King of the Beach

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

cheese eats mouse posted:

My father collects depression era Westmoreland glass. You record collectors don't have poo poo on him.

Oh and none of it is cataloged with estimated value or price paid. He has about 2 living rooms and a basement full.

Ha. My dad too- certain types of glass and ceramics. He started a couple years ago.. I hope I didn't enable his hoarding.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I wanna watch this Vinyl movie, but I can't find it anywhere.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just got a fabulous treat in the mail today.

New UFOMAMMUT!

Numbered 342/500 on clear vinyl

It's so sludgy and thick it's practically molasses, but for my ears.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

cheapandugly posted:

Just got a fabulous treat in the mail today.

New UFOMAMMUT!

Numbered 342/500 on clear vinyl

It's so sludgy and thick it's practically molasses, but for my ears.

:stare: I'm gonna have to get on that.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Do it, those pics don't do the packaging justice, and it sounds so loving good.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I found a new bar to drink at after work near my house. The owner used to live in Manhattan, and collected first editions of vinyl. Amongst the part of her collection she had out (and will let you play) are first editions of 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' (banana not peeled), 'Time Fades Away' / 'After the Gold Rush' / 'American Stars 'n' Bars' / 'Harvest' / 'Tonight's the Night' by Neil Young, 'Solid State Survivor' / 'Naughty Boys' by YMO, 'Remain in Light' by Talking Heads.. I could go on. I felt giddy holding 'Time Fades Away'. None of it is in great condition, especially not 'Sgt Pepper', just because she still listens to it, but it was just fantastic to see. All the old Japanese rock has great covers too.

I couldn't take much in the way of photos but did snap a quick one of 'Time Fades Away' as proof to myself.

Quality old 40's vintage speakers to listen to it all on, as well. Looking forward to going back (even if she has a very yappy little dog).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It always makes me sad when people destory great collections like that by not taking proper care of it. Someone once brought me a box of records they found that was all first pressings of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and the Yardbirds among others. Everything in there was trashed because the original owner threw out the inner sleeves. I was pretty bummed out.

But anyway, Time Fades Away is a great over looked classic. I'm pretty sure it can be had for a reasonable price. I picked it up for ten bucks a few years back.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

WASDF posted:

I wanna watch this Vinyl movie, but I can't find it anywhere.

posted a page back man

Faxbart posted:

If you haven't seen this, you can watch the full thing online here: http://ww3.tvo.org/video/166862/vinyl

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am selling some Boards of Canada albums in SA Mart if anyone is interested.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3479463

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Oh Jesus, I am sooo very tempted with that Geodaddi, but if Mrs. Hatelull found out that I paid $125 for a record I would probably get served raw tofu and olives for the rest of the year as punishment.

Also, I'd be afraid to listen to it.

This brings up a probably unrelated question, but is there a point at which you might pay triple digits for a record and then never actually play it?

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
mewithyou's Ten Stories pre-order just went up.

I usually don't bite on "deluxe edition" pre-orders but damnnnnnnn

quote:

Deluxe Box Set – $40
• Limited to 1,000 copies
• Hand-numbered
• 180 gram 2XLP available in two colors (Icy Blue, Audiophile Black)
• 4th Side Vinyl Etching
• Custom Inner Sleeves
• 28 pg lyric booklet with 11 original paintings by Vasily Kafanov
• Autographed 11x 17 Poster
• Bonus CD with Alternate Album Cover
• Exclusive B-Sides 7” Single “Other Stories:”
Includes an 8 pg lyric booklet, 2 more original paintings by Vasily Kafanov and foreword by Rick Mazzotta

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

hatelull posted:

This brings up a probably unrelated question, but is there a point at which you might pay triple digits for a record and then never actually play it?

I would never buy a record that I wouldn't actually play. If I have a cool or rare or first edition I might buy a duplicate record for cheap and listen to it instead (like I just did with The Final Cut, my dad's original japanese version is getting a little worn, but it has sentimental value).

edit, the most I've spent on a vinyl so far was $55 bucks for Atom Heart Mother in pristine loving condition. And I listen to that thing like it's an MP3. And actually he gave me another record for free so really I paid $45 bucks for it.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 17, 2012

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Pious Pete posted:

mewithyou's Ten Stories pre-order just went up.

I usually don't bite on "deluxe edition" pre-orders but damnnnnnnn
Audophile black is a much better, richer color than normal black. :rolleyes:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hatelull posted:

Oh Jesus, I am sooo very tempted with that Geodaddi, but if Mrs. Hatelull found out that I paid $125 for a record I would probably get served raw tofu and olives for the rest of the year as punishment.

Also, I'd be afraid to listen to it.

I've been keeping a look out for that Scott Pilgrim record and still haven't found it for less than $100, so if I ever just suck it up and drop a bill on it, I'll play the loving poo poo out of that thing.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Talk about a great dollar bin find. I can't believe it's in such great condition too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been keeping a look out for that Scott Pilgrim record and still haven't found it for less than $100, so if I ever just suck it up and drop a bill on it, I'll play the loving poo poo out of that thing.

There was a time when that was readily available for 17.99 and I kept passing it up in favor of other things. My attitude was basically "Ah, it'll be around". I didn't even find out it was fetching high prices until someone mentioned it here a few months back. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

There was a time when that was readily available for 17.99 and I kept passing it up in favor of other things. My attitude was basically "Ah, it'll be around". I didn't even find out it was fetching high prices until someone mentioned it here a few months back. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

Had the same thing happen to me with Woven Hand's Folklore album.

Apparently it was limited to 500 and impossible to find since :(

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-White-Limited-Edition-Flexi-Disc-/320884419223?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4ab633aa97#ht_500wt_1182

Sold for $4,238.88.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

gently caress me.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Rainy Tuesday afternoon... time for some whale sounds on vinyl.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

poo poo, I really need to go find one of those.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

weirdojace posted:

poo poo, I really need to go find one of those.

They got as far north as Tennessee... wonder if any came to Kentucky? I don't think I care enough to go wander about and find one though. But if one landed in my back yard that'd be cool.

e; I wonder if anyone chilled outside the launch point and shot balloons down? If I lived there I'd probably buy a BB gun just to do that.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

NESguerilla posted:

I am selling some Boards of Canada albums in SA Mart if anyone is interested.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3479463
+

CPL593H posted:

=

I'm still kicking myself over not buying BoC's Music Has The Right to Children at the Virgin Megastore, while visiting Chicago on a school trip. This was before I was really into collecting (or buying vinyl), but I still remember it sitting there with about a $20 price tag...

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The BoC reissues are supposed to be coming this year. That's what I'm pretending to myself anyway.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

RizieN posted:

They got as far north as Tennessee... wonder if any came to Kentucky? I don't think I care enough to go wander about and find one though. But if one landed in my back yard that'd be cool.

e; I wonder if anyone chilled outside the launch point and shot balloons down? If I lived there I'd probably buy a BB gun just to do that.

I live about 35 minutes away from where these things were launched. I bet I could find one if I was really dead set on looking until I found it.

It'd be a lot of searching though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That money could have fed the homeless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fors Yard posted:

+

=

I'm still kicking myself over not buying BoC's Music Has The Right to Children at the Virgin Megastore, while visiting Chicago on a school trip. This was before I was really into collecting (or buying vinyl), but I still remember it sitting there with about a $20 price tag...

Geogaddi and Campfire Headphase were around that price when I bought them too. If you ever like a Warp artist buy the vinyl ASAP because they always go out of print really quick.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

Whoa...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just sold all my vinyls to feed the homeless. Thank you to this thread for opening my eyes.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

4238.88, eat money every day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

I just sold all my vinyls to feed the homeless. Thank you to this thread for opening my eyes.

You called them "vinyls", so you didn't deserve them in the first place.

Waltermelon
Feb 28, 2011
The local Symphony Orchestra had their annual Book & Music sale. Wasn't early enough to get a great spot in line but I still found some goodies. All these were a $1-5 a piece.

(Bought Nazareth just for the Frazetta artwork :ssh:)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I went to a record shop for the first time in a while today. I left with a pretty good assortment. I got this stuff:

Freedom of Choice-Devo
Whip it/ Turnaround single-Devo
A Nice Pair (contains the first two Pink Floyd Albums)
Ziggy Stardust: the Motion Picture Soundtrack
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stopped by my usual spot to ask about their RSD shipments (he was opening boxes while I was there and has about 5 more coming tomorrow, woo!)

Ended up spending too much, of course.

Bowie - Heroes (EX, cheap)
Beasties Boys & Nas - Too Many Rappers 12" single, new
hosed Up - David's Town (last year's RSD limited)
Bane - Give Blood ('12 reissue)

And some insight on what I can count on for RSD. Free beer!

And I missed the fifteen minutes that At The Drive-In's "Vaya" reissue was available for preorder from IVWT this morning. gently caress.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
An idea far too stupid to actually exist, a podcast released exclusively on vinyl.

In other vinyl related news I found both Walter Carlos' Switched On Bach('68) and Well Tempered Synth('69) at my local goodwill for $1.00 each, the jackets are rough but the vinyl is in terrific condition.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 19, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Lariat posted:

An idea far too stupid to actually exist, a podcast released exclusively on vinyl.

That's almost as stupid as paying four grand for a single from an album that's coming out in a week and a half.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I either hav a Vinyl problem or a drinking problem, and when both mix I always end up spending money... These guys rolled through town last night and I saw them randomly without ever knowing about them, and the show was bad rear end so I bought these:

They're a pretty sick Psychedelic rock group from San Francisco, what they were doing at my local hang out in Cincinnati I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatoBug2
Dec 1, 2004

FOR SERIOUS!!!
Everyone excited for RSD?

Duckula posted:

The BoC reissues are supposed to be coming this year. That's what I'm pretending to myself anyway.

Gawd I wish. Hopefully some time before the new album.