Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That WPC treatment sounds interesting. Do you know much about it? How much did it cost?

I mostly heard about it from here: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/17/special-treatment-part-1-all-you-wanted-to-know-about-wpc.aspx

And then this article sold me on it.
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2033/wpc-treatmemt-saved-our-engine.aspx
The fact that the valvetrain was oil starved and all the parts were basically reusable gave me a good idea on how it might help in a 2-stroke situation. Basically it creates microdimples on the surface which help retain lubricants. Just sliding the wristpin into the piston and having it fall out the other side with no help except gravity shows just how smooth the surface is now.

As far as cost, it was relatively cheap in my eyes for the benefits. Here is a run down on what it cost me:
Piston(47mm) $25.00
Piston rings $5.00/each x2=$10.00
Piston pin $5.00
Cylinder block $60.00

In the end with shipping both ways and insurance, it was about $120 total. Shipped out on Monday afternoon, got it back Tuesday the following week.

Got a Malossi Wristpin cage bearing and new air filter today. At the expense of my VFR failing to start right outside the shop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I saw the WPC stuff before but didn't realize it was that good. Curious to see if you notice any major differences with the WPC coating after assembly.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Can anyone help me out with some mechanical advise? I rode my scoot (86 Honda Elite) to work today, ran just fine. When I came out to go home, it wouldn't start at all. No clicking or anything. The lights and dash stuff all came on still, and the battery gauge looked fine. Any ideas?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ghostnuke posted:

Can anyone help me out with some mechanical advise? I rode my scoot (86 Honda Elite) to work today, ran just fine. When I came out to go home, it wouldn't start at all. No clicking or anything. The lights and dash stuff all came on still, and the battery gauge looked fine. Any ideas?

Does it have a kick start you can try?

Does it have a safety? Some scooters won't start with a side/kickstand down or won't start unless a brake lever is being held (etc.). If you're confident the battery is good I guess I'd start there, checking that the switches are working and the wires into them are solidly connected, same with the starter button.

I also deal with an unusual amount of loose or bad connections with my Stella, so it's probably further up my personal checklist than it should be.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Does it have a kick start you can try?

Does it have a safety? Some scooters won't start with a side/kickstand down or won't start unless a brake lever is being held (etc.). If you're confident the battery is good I guess I'd start there, checking that the switches are working and the wires into them are solidly connected, same with the starter button.

I also deal with an unusual amount of loose or bad connections with my Stella, so it's probably further up my personal checklist than it should be.

No kickstarter. I'm really hoping that I'm just retarded and forgot to push the brake while I started it. Guess I'll find out when I get to work tomorrow...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have access to a multimeter to check what the actual voltage across your battery terminals is?

How long does a scoot battery last anyways? I've had to replace mine twice in the past three years, they aren't cheap.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Sorry, phone post, but I high sided on Monday trying to avoid someone who ran a stop sign. Broke my left leg in 5 places, and will need two operations to make it right. Don't know how screwed up my Scot is, but all the rest of the gear saved my bacon, no road rash to speak of, and my leg broke when my bike landed on me during the high side. Guess that's it for my riding season.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SpannerX posted:

Sorry, phone post, but I high sided on Monday trying to avoid someone who ran a stop sign. Broke my left leg in 5 places, and will need two operations to make it right. Don't know how screwed up my Scot is, but all the rest of the gear saved my bacon, no road rash to speak of, and my leg broke when my bike landed on me during the high side. Guess that's it for my riding season.

Ah, poo poo, man :( get well soon and post up some more details when you're able/comfortable/in front of a computer

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm really hoping that I'm just retarded and forgot to push the brake while I started it. Guess I'll find out when I get to work tomorrow...

:ughh:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Ah, poo poo, man :( get well soon and post up some more details when you're able/comfortable/in front of a computer

Will do. I will say this, those coratech(sp?) Did an awesome job of saving my skin, now it was only around 50 kph, but it didnt wear through and I skidded quite a distance. Modular helmet saved my face (a.d head).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Sucks to hear about the leg, but you have a ton to be thankful for that it isn't any worse. Hooray for lawsuits!

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

SpannerX posted:

Hearing poo poo like this really makes me want a gopro in the hopes that I could nab the plate number of a person who hits me.

Having said that, I hope you get to sue the piss out of that driver. Sorry for your loss. Good job on the ATGATT, though!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Hey guys, just throwing this in here. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/2970346280.html

Pretty cool stretched Ruckus. Hows the price? Looks insanely fun.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Took all of Friday off to work on the Zuma. So on Thursday, I stopped by Treatland (Goddamn I love living in San Francisco!) to pick up a new wristpin bearing, sparkplug, and air filter. Took the time to clean off all the parts in soapy water before drying them and spraying them with a healthy coat of WD40. Then I took apart the carburetor and soaked the jets in carb cleaner overnight. Reassembled with a new gasket for the slide assembly and put on a new air filter. Following that, put on the Malossi CF reeds on the reedcage.

So basically took off all of Friday to work on the scooter and putting it back together. Wiped down the engine parts for a final inspection. Went out to get a new YTX5L-BS gel cell battery. Slathered the cylinder walls, piston, rings, wristpin and crankshaft in Yamalube. The wristpin circlips were a bit difficult to get in and I almost lost one but after a few tries, I was able to devise a method to get the clips in with no hassle. Got the top end on with no issues, used a syringe to drench the crankshaft in more Yamalube. I didn't have a torque wrench that read accurately below 10lb/ft so I torqued everything down to feel. Got the engine back in and enough body panels to ride around on. Plugged all the connectors together and did some minor cable rerouting (Probably the most difficult part of this build :doh: ). After that, drained the old gas and old oil. Put in some fresh 91 from Chevron and Yamalube. Bled the oil pump while I was doing this.

Squirted some starter fluid inside the cylinder and put an NGK BR8HS plug in. First kick, nothing. Took out the plug and it was covered in oil. Cleaned it off and put it back in. Started on the first kick. Went for an hour long ride with varying amounts of throttle although I want to say I never hit WOT. She sounds really good and pulls hard from 10mph and on. Looking through the box of parts he gave me, I think I may also have a higher final drive as I found the stock one in a ziplock bag. I also found a brand new Contra spring from Malossi so I guess that will be going in. Haven't fussed with the carburetor settings too much and the plug looks good.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 23, 2012

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

SpannerX posted:

Good lord. I'm really sorry to hear that. Good luck with the surgeries, and I hope you recover quickly. Also, I hope the legal side of things goes smoothly.

Purgey posted:

Hearing poo poo like this really makes me want a gopro in the hopes that I could nab the plate number of a person who hits me.

I have a GoPro that I got as a wedding present that I haven't had time to mount and set up. Looks like I'll be doing that really soon.

Also, new saddlebags:

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Hey guys.

I decided to remove the battery from my SYM Fiddle II 125 to go get it charged so that I can start riding my scooter now that it's nice out. After I removed the battery, I noticed there were two little rectangular nuts that the screws went into to hold the cable to the battery. I tried to shake it out to set it aside but it didn't look like it would come out. On the way to the battery store, I noticed it was missing and now I can't find it. I don't even know what to call it or search for in trying to replace that little piece. Can someone give me some pointers? Do they come with a new battery?

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
^I'm sure if you just ask a motorcycle shop/mechanic, they'll have a bunch laying around from old batteries, I know I do. They come with every battery I have bought.

Beautiful weather to have a scooter in. Over the 4/20 "holiday", Golden Gate Park was packed. Random people walking all over the place and around my neighborhood. Having a super loud 2-stroke scooter to filter through traffic was awesome.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 23, 2012

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Finished building my wife's anniversary gift last week.

Video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLJjb39VrA

It's a 1965 with a P200 engine. She's getting her motorcycle class and waiver next week, so I get to play on it until then. I'm absolutely infatuated with scooters now.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
I wonder how many people have scooters because of flcl

(me. i do. i'm that person)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boomerjinks posted:

Video!

It's a 1965 with a P200 engine. She's getting her motorcycle class and waiver next week, so I get to play on it until then. I'm absolutely infatuated with scooters now.

Whats that thing on the front fork?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Whats that thing on the front fork?

An aluminum fin? It serves no purpose in the cartoon, I think it's just there because :v:anime:v:

There's also a round, egg-shaped thing on the side of it that I still need to fabricate and attach.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 23, 2012

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

Video!

That is Purdue. Looks like they did a great job on it.

Well, I'm home from the hospital, still waiting on my next operation, which I'm not even sure is my last, but the food is much better here, an I don't have a bitch for a room mate.

Haven't looked at the bike yet, I have evough trouble getting to the bathroom let alone down 2 sets of stairs and across gravel.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

SpannerX posted:

That is Purdue.

I have no idea what that means...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Guessing it's a phone autocorrect of "purty" (pretty).

Is your wife also into the whole movie cars thing or is it just something you do? I don't mean that maliciously, just...is the fact that it's a movie (tv, w/e) scooter more for her, or more for you? :v:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

I have no idea what that means...
yeah auto correct BS. :-)

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Nayato posted:

I wonder how many people have scooters because of flcl

(me. i do. i'm that person)

Me. I'm that person too. I've always liked the look of most scooters, but I went with my Stella because of FLCL.

Boomer: That's pretty badass.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Sagebrush posted:

Is your wife also into the whole movie cars thing or is it just something you do? I don't mean that maliciously, just...is the fact that it's a movie (tv, w/e) scooter more for her, or more for you? :v:

It's definitely more about it being for her cosplay interests.

She's always been a scooter fanatic, one of the pipe dreams sorta like skydiving, something she totally wanted but never thought she would do on her own. She's also a HUGE cosplay nut, and even had an FLCL costume in the past.

I don't really see her bringing it to the movie car meetups, but she'll absolutely be taking it to conventions.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I understand your reasons but man that thing would look much better without the decal and weird-rear end fin thing.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

notZaar posted:

Well, I understand your reasons but man that thing would look much better without the decal and weird-rear end fin thing.

We were making jokes about Vespa purists all over the world crying hipster tears as we installed bar-end lights on an SS. :reject:

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 24, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Boomerjinks posted:

We were making jokes about Vespa purists all over the world crying hipster tears as we installed bar-end lights on an SS. :reject:

As far as making movie vehicles go, it's hard to complain about the FLCL Vespa. It's a a good-looking scooter (except that dumb fin thing) and a cool color and nothing that permanently messes up an SS.

Mostly they'll just sigh at seeing another "P!" on a Vespa.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now make the Akira bike!

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum
Well my journey at the weekend went terrible, on the way there I couldn't get the scooter over 50 and on the way back it wouldn't go over 40 and I had to chuck it in the backup van. No amount of jetting would change the performance so I am now looking at an electronics issue. I am hoping it is something to do with my spark plug cap or HT lead and not the CDI unit or stator plate. Either way I have a lot of playing with a multi meter ahead :-(

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Bad week for scoots. :(

I was driving yesterday when the throttle started acting squirrely. I just found out that the genius who rebuilt the carb before I bought the bike didn't put a fuel filter back in at all, and hosed up the carb.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Help me buy a scooter!

I am looking at a couple of scooters in the next while. I've never owned one, and I just moved back to my homeland of Vancouver Island, and am excited to ride a scooter all over the place. Mostly though, the scooter will be used for a 7km commute through the country. I would also like to tote my wife to and fro once in a while. These are the ads I'm looking at:

This first is a 2001 Honda Dio, and while I like Hondas, I'm scared of its high mileage. The owner says that because its been modified (by a good local repair shop), it's essentially been rebuilt which negates some of my high mileage concerns. I'm also worried that this just won't work for two people. Any ideas? I got him down to $750 for it.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2001-honda-dio-summer-time-fun-modified-50cc-scooter-good-tire-runs-great-_16774960

The second option is this 2009 SYMply 50. Which is designed as a two seater and which I'm test driving on Thursday. It's a 50cc bike but the speedo goes up to 80km/h so I'm hoping that means it has enough power to take two people around at about 55km/h?

You have to look at the second picture to see the gas scooter:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/scooters_17167782

I'm hoping to get this guy down to about $750 as well.

Any advice or warnings you might have would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I wouldn't advise getting a 50cc at all if you're going to be carrying passengers. Check out the OP.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
125 CC or don't do it.SWMBO and I 2upped in Cuba on a 50cc scoot, there wasn't much in the way of traffic but we lagged behind the other riders hard. I have to say it is pretty fun on 4 lane highways with 0 traffic singing born to be mild at the top of you lungs. I couldn't stop laughing. :-)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Thirded - if you want to ride 2-up you'll want to move past 50cc scooters. I'd also strongly suggest NOT riding 2-up until you've been riding a while. It's not easy to ride a scooter when the passengers weigh more than the scooter (and half of the bodies you don't have any control over).

Between the two you linked:
-The Dio will be faster but less reliable.*
-The SYMply will be slower but very reliable.

*Nothing against the Dio, but since it's been modified it'll be a bit of a crapshoot. What did the PO have done?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Apparently the previous owner of my wife's 180 reversed the fuel tap as an anti-theft measure. I've never had a single problem getting it started on the first kick, then I give it to the scooter mechanics for a tune up and they call me saying it's impossible to start and that I need a carb rebuild, news which scared the poo poo out of me until I realized it must have been the tap.

edit:

Got the SS back, scooter guys say it needs a new clutch. It shifts kind of rough, slips in and out of gears with just the slightest errant twisting of the left grip, and it won't go into 4th.

It has a P200 motor in it, and I'm certain that it has gears 1-N-2-3-4, but for the life of me I can't get it into 4th. Do I have a faulty memory and the scooter only has gears for 1-N-2-3?? I thought tightening the cables would be all I had to do to get the shifting figured out, and I really don't want to drop $200 on the Cosa clutch that they recommended...

Any ideas?

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 26, 2012

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum
A standard P200 gearbox has 1-N-2-3-4 gearing. If you are struggling to get it into 4th then you're right it is usually a loose cable issue, and while I am not saying tightening them up will definitely solve the issue it is definitely the first thing to try. If I remember rightly you should also check the small box on the side of the engine that holds the gear selector, I think if that comes loose it can affect your ability to get it into gear as it pushes the box out rather than the plunger in.

Also as far as I know, if the clutch is having problems then the chance is that you wouldn't be able to get it into any gear at all, not just 4th. I would say, in my opinion, if the issue is anywhere it will be in the gear selector, I would hazard a guess that something is stopping it popping your gear selector into 4th.

As an additional check have a look at your handlebar which you use to change gear. I have seen on a couple of scooters that sometimes this doesnt move round far enough to pop the gear in (I had this problem with a Lambretta recently) and instead just knocks against the stopper in the headset, in which case you will need to adjust it. Aside from that the pin that holds the roller to the handlebar could be loose in the hole, meaning instead of going into gear it would be cushioning itself on the pin.

Check all of these things before considering buying a new clutch, hope this helps :)

EDIT: additionally I know that the cruciform (so called because it looks like a cross) in Vespa gear selectors are notoriously rubbish, my brothers snapped in his engine at least 3 times. That can cause you all kind of gear problems so there is another avenue to check out if nothing else solves your problem. Also they only cost about £13 so it is cheaper than a full clutch.

EDIT 2: after reading your post again it says it goes in and out of gear errantly when touching the left grip, this could point to the clutch being engaged too far in, although that wouldn't explain why it won't pop into 4th. If you can get a picture of the clutch for me all laid out I can easily tell you if you need a new one :) as for the gritty shifting, this could indeed point towards the clutch not engaging properly at all (or the cruciform being knackered). OF course after all of this there is still the possibility that your clutch is on its way out and needs to be replaced :)

Charlie Bubblegum fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Charlie Bubblegum, are you.a wizard?? :swoon:

Thanks so much! Time to get crackin!