Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

King of Solomon posted:

Isn't that where Vriska was walking around when Hussie proposed to her?

It's Tavros' planet. Well, a dreambubble of Tavros' planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

King of Solomon posted:

Isn't that where Vriska was walking around when Hussie proposed to her?
Yeah, you're right. Wonder why she was there? Maybe trying to figure out Tavros?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Honestly, I'm glad it's gone, and that Vriska and Tavros now have the chance to discuss lances and their application to torsos.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah, I'm guessing it's the Land of Sand and Zephyr, and they just ended up back in dream bubbles.

Isn't that where Dream Jade was hanging out before suddenly being thrust into sprite-dom?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Aw that didn't last near as long as I'd hope, but it was fun while it happened.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I wonder how long it took Hussie to decide to kill off Tavriskasprite.

Color Printer posted:

Aaaaaand *Tavrisplode*.

I actually hope this doesn't mean Jane doesn't get a sprite at all because otherwise that was entirely pointless!
That was probably the point of this all, plot-device-wise. That, and to get rid of a couple Chekhov's corpses.

NEXT UP: Sollidan??

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Wait a second...

Did Gamzee just facilitate the destruction of rage between Tavros and Vriska? And facilitate Jane's kernelsprite's destruction through rage?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well, that was fun while it lasted. I guess Gamzee lived up to his title by "invit[ing] destrUction throUgh [rage]" as UU prediced.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm not certain this unholy amalgamation is gone, unfortunately. I don't think this recent panel actually shows Vriska and Tavros suddenly un-fused, it seems to be more like a peek inside their collective consciousness or something.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

snucks posted:

That was probably the point of this all, plot-device-wise. That, and to get rid of a couple Chekhov's corpses.

We still have a ton of Chekhov's blood sitting around. Nannasprite was made from mere ashes, after all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I'm not certain this unholy amalgamation is gone, unfortunately. I don't think this recent panel actually shows Vriska and Tavros suddenly un-fused, it seems to be more like a peek inside their collective consciousness or something.

Why would their collective unconscious be dead?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Why would their collective unconscious be dead?

gently caress if I know how the death mechanics in Sburb work.

On second thought you all might be right, it didn't occur to me that the Kernelsprite was actually destroyed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

gently caress if I know how the death mechanics in Sburb work.

On second thought you all might be right, it didn't occur to me that the Kernelsprite was actually destroyed.
Maybe it just rejected the prototyping. Gamzee's going to walk back up and throw a new pair of bodies in. Rinse and repeat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Maybe it just rejected the prototyping. Gamzee's going to walk back up and throw a new pair of bodies in. Rinse and repeat.

That explosion looks like it threw him an awful long way. (That means he's going to have to fly.)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

At least it wasn't a kick in the crotch this time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bongo Bill posted:

That explosion looks like it threw him an awful long way. (That means he's going to have to fly.)
Luckily he has wings, unless he misplaced them.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Wait a second...

Did Gamzee just facilitate the destruction of rage between Tavros and Vriska? And facilitate Jane's kernelsprite's destruction through rage?

I believe you may have something there; Gamzee facilitated Tavros' potential to final accept some sort of hatred for his murderer, and Vriska may realize that she simply has too much hate, while at the same time using both of their combined rage for the purpose of removing a potentially obstructing game mechanic.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

At least it wasn't a kick in the crotch this time.

Protective codpiece

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay, now we're going to cut away, but drat this is a conversation I'd like to see. Or at least see referenced later.

There's no better source of empathy and understanding than walking a mile in someone's shoes. In a pinch mind-melding works too. There's always been a real understanding gap between these two, and that ordeal might help bridge it. Not to mention Tavros's desert planet is a good setting for such a showdown (not for any special reason, I just like deserts).

Of all the guilty pleasures I've wanted out of the comic when it comes to character development and character arcs, Vriska and Tavros reconciling is probably one of the biggest. It always seemed like an obvious resolution to me (two characters don't understand each other and one is a bully. One day they learn to respect each other, the end) but Hussie's not considered a predictable writer and the twists and turns so far have given rise to complex and passionate discussions about what the real themes are and whether a certain perceived outcome is the right note to end on - discussions which can flip in a moment and with seemingly no warning.

Credit to Hussie. Some writers can take what would seem like a natural conclusion and put it in doubt to create tension. Hussie will downright convince you that it isn't going to happen, and that it not happening is actually a better thematic end for an arc, then start considering the original conclusion anyway.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dolash posted:

God I love your posts.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

Here, let me help you with that.

hahaha bishoujo Nurse Aradia owns

Come back, Tavrisprite. You were the best character :( I hope Jane's kernelsprite wasn't completely destroyed. What will she do without a cryptic guide!?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, I couldn't imagine it ending any other way, anyway. So thank gently caress for that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Well then! I was not expecting Hussie to take things in that direction, but I am happy that he did. :)

Hopefully Tavros and Vriska understand each other a bit better now. I would like to see Vriska apologize for some of the stuff she did and see Tavros come to understand why she did the things she did. :3:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

To be honest I'm going to miss Tavrissprite's hair. That was a cool 'do.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So what did that accomplish, plot-wise?
- Taught Jane not to trust trolls / Gamzee
- Got rid of Vriska and Tavros's bodies so that can't be prototyped so easily (but there's still the blood...)
- Probably took Jane's kernel away, so she can't use it as a resurrection device.
- Got Vriska and Tavros in the same place, so they can talk.

SARSfest posted:

Let's try the same thing again, but with Equius and Eridan.
Gamzee should have another chest of whimsy lying around right?

Actually, Eridan's lusty ways + Equius's strongness + Jake + Lil' Cal equals...

...and it would even make that 'magical horses' comment from Hussie make sense!

(Oh, and we also just saw that merged being with rapidly conflicting thoughts can 'hate everything')

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 19, 2012

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So as Bard of Rage, Gamzee both allowed rage to be destroyed and invited destruction, in this case of Jane's Kernelsprite, through that same rage. Hurray!

I had actually come to terms with the fact that Tavros' and Vriska's stories were deliberately unfinished just for the subversion and tragedy of it all. This is more satisfying, I suppose.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Believe it or not, it's one of the first results if you GIS the url of this thread!

Haha, never thought that doodle of mine would make it far beyond this thread. I'm touched to see it has a bizarre life of its own on tumblr now. :v:

Poor Jane just doesn't know what the gently caress. That's one heck of a way to start your Sburb experience, yikes. The other alpha kids have a lot to live up to when they enter - I can only imagine how wild their respective shenanigans will be. I hope we get to see Roxy interacting with Gamzee, if only to have the drunk and the stoner cross paths in a hilariously terrible way.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I still think we're not quite done with the kernelsprite yet. After all, it hasn't shown what's behind the explosion smoke.

Damnit Hussie you're getting way too good with these cliffhangers :v:

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Dang, I was really hoping we would get a little more sprite horror out of that. Still, probably for the best I guess.

Wonder if this means none of the new kids will get to have sprites at all? They already don't get consorts or (apparently) imps. Poor things :(.

snucks posted:

I want to see Sollidan prototyped so he can just spend the entire game bitching at himself.

Pessimism fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 19, 2012

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'd doubt much will come of it, they were merged for hardly a minute before explosively separating due to irreconcileable differences.

They didn't even have shoes to walk a mile in.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well this is good news. It's probably the metaphysically least unbelievably awful outcome.

Also score another one for fantastic onomotapaeias...or however the gently caress you spell that.

Gamzee you are either the best or the worst why must you make it so hard to decide.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Haha, never thought that doodle of mine would make it far beyond this thread. I'm touched to see it has a bizarre life of its own on tumblr now. :v:

It's a great doodle, but I still maintain that it would even funnier if the person doing the taunting was Hussie in a Vriska mask and the person on the ground was the Reader.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Damnit Hussie you're getting way too good with these cliffhangers :v:

A cliffhanger on every page, like Hergé!

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I expected a fuse to blow somewhere, but a Tavrisplode is totally over what I wanted.
It's beautiful.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Bobulus posted:

It's a great doodle, but I still maintain that it would even funnier if the person doing the taunting was Hussie in a Vriska mask and the person on the ground was the Reader.

No. Don't do this. Don't feed me ideas. It might just end up happening. I might have to Make It Hapen.*

* (once I have time to draw again)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like you've only got one choice of a guide now Jane. Honk honk.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Except Gamzee was sent flying by the tavrisplosion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SynthOrange posted:

Looks like you've only got one choice of a guide now Jane. Honk honk.

I think you mean hooooooooooooooooooooonk

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

In other news, mr. liveblogger just discovered SBaHJ and has predictably flipped the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

In other news, mr. liveblogger just discovered SBaHJ and has predictably flipped the gently caress out.

We really should go easy on him. He's apparently 15 years old, and everyone thinks they know everything at that age. Even the TvTropes bullshit is forgiven. :unsmith: