Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Man, I just fought the knight on Hard+, and got massacred the first time. The second time I casted Tarukaja on MC and sacrificed my allies to barely win. I'm hoping I can get through the early game without grinding. I even got a Kevlar Vest out of a rare chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

The Hater posted:

He means that If you throw Namatame in the TV, Nanako STAYS dead instead of reviving

Yeah, this is pretty much what I meant.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished Day 6 on DS2 and you guys were not kidding about Keita, literally everything this kid does is just insult people and act like he's better. I finally stopped giving a poo poo once he started shoving that Darwinism bullshit down people's throats and how lovely he treats Jungo despite Jungo being nice to him. I mean holy poo poo, I did not think you could make such an unlikeable character as one of the main choices, but here we are.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Quick! I'm playing Persona 3 Portable. Should I invest my money with the Well Dressed Man?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Detective No. 27 posted:

Quick! I'm playing Persona 3 Portable. Should I invest my money with the Well Dressed Man?

Extended warranty? How can I lose!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

If a well-dressed man asks you for money you should always give it to him. How can it backfire?

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

ImpAtom posted:

If a well-dressed man asks you for money you should always give it to him. How can it backfire?

Yeah but is it possible to get the Devil S-Link otherwise?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Captain Corduroy posted:

Yeah but is it possible to get the Devil S-Link otherwise?

Nope, and you don't get the money back either. It's the price of that S. Link. It's not all that much money, though, and the final Devil Arcana Persona is really, really good (and necessary for some of the ultimate fusions).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, I'm not using the money for much anyway.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Plus, the Devil social link in Persona 3 is FANTASTIC.

By the way guys, guess who beat Persona 4's Contrarian King before the bathhouse opened up and even before the hermit social link started?
:smug:
Finally I have my revenge for when Persona 4 was my first SMT game, and I didn't know a Tarunda from a Pulinpa! Who's going crying back to an earlier save now, huh, Contrarian King?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Catalina posted:

By the way guys, guess who beat Persona 4's Contrarian King before the bathhouse opened up and even before the hermit social link started?
Finally I have my revenge for when Persona 4 was my first SMT game, and I didn't know a Tarunda from a Pulinpa! Who's going crying back to an earlier save now, huh, Contrarian King?

Yeah, devil was probably my favorite in P3, unlike moon which was really, really disappointing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Catalina posted:

What was your level? I remember trying that guy for the first tume the day after I beat the boss of the Castle, and he opened the fight with rampage, which outright wiped my party. A coupe levels down the road, and the same Rampage was much less threatening, even with the same Personas.

Can't say I liked the Devil s-link in P3, though. The guy spent a bit too much time droning on on how he was such a sterling captain of industry in order to thank you for giving what is probably a barely noticable amount of money to him. Not exactly riveting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Catalina posted:

Thank you very much for the info! That date is a lot sooner than I expected, based on how long it took them to translate Persona 3 Portable and Persona 2 IS Portable from when they were released in Japan. I hope that gives them enough time for the localization, though I'm sure it will.

At this rate, I guess I'll be buying Peronsa 4 Golden before I buy a Vita, haha. Here's to hoping there'll be an extra special preorder bonus and collector's edition!

P3P had a lot to translate and re-voice though thanks to the female side, P4G just has some extra bits.

It also sounded weird when some characters obviously switched from a line that was used in the original release to a line recorded 4 years later.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, the second time I played P4 I thought I could take the Contrarian King right after the first boss with my superior knowledge of the game's mechanics. I fused up a persona with physical resistance, cast Tarunda and Sukunda on the King, his Rampage still one-shot everyone including the MC. :stare:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah, the second time I played P4 I thought I could take the Contrarian King right after the first boss with my superior knowledge of the game's mechanics. I fused up a persona with physical resistance, cast Tarunda and Sukunda on the King, his Rampage still one-shot everyone including the MC. :stare:

I kinda hate bosses like the Contrarian Kind, and his ilk, where your only two options for winning are to either outlevel him entirely to render his attacks a joke, or just cross your fingers and hope the RNG doesn't pull the "gently caress you, insta-wipe" move, in which case you'll win without too much trouble.

The Answer was particularly bad about this at a couple of points. Worse since they eliminated the social-link exp bonus.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

fount of knowledge posted:

I kinda hate bosses like the Contrarian Kind, and his ilk, where your only two options for winning are to either outlevel him entirely to render his attacks a joke, or just cross your fingers and hope the RNG doesn't pull the "gently caress you, insta-wipe" move, in which case you'll win without too much trouble.

The Answer was particularly bad about this at a couple of points. Worse since they eliminated the social-link exp bonus.
I'm getting 1/2-shotted by the Change Relic on 36 in P3. It's starting to piss me off. Guess I need to grind my rear end off.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
The first time I fought Contrarian King , I hit him with his weakness (fire?) on my first guess. Chie immediately volunteered to do a galactic punt. :dance:

Games like P4 have the strangest habits of kicking your rear end one minute and giving you incredibly lucky streaks the next.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

TheLoser posted:

The first time I fought Contrarian King , I hit him with his weakness (fire?) on my first guess. Chie immediately volunteered to do a galactic punt. :dance:

He doesn't have a weakness. I assume you got a critical hit.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Stupid Tuesday extra boss in DS2. I only had 2 level 60 demons at that point so I had no chance of realistically beating him and saving the civilians. After some skill fiddling I created a team designed to zerg him down in one round before any of the civvies died. After a tiny bit of RNG I finally got him down, pumped my fist, and...

he resurrected himself :smith:

Question also: Do the extra battles count as free battles toward the "no free battles" achievement?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragongem posted:

Question also: Do the extra battles count as free battles toward the "no free battles" achievement?

Nope.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Never mind finally found a good working one.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 18, 2012

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Stuck in just-one-more-day mode in P3, send help

I can't stop playing this loving game. I'd beat it all in one sitting if I didn't think it would probably kill me. I can't even remember the last time I was this hooked on a game, an RPG no less.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Catalina posted:

I'm seriously tempted to bring out my Norn for that boss fight and smash it in the face with a Mind Charged Garudyne.

fount of knowledge posted:

I didn't find that so bad. Personae level up a lot faster in the Answer, and learn all their skills one level after the other.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 18, 2012

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Amppelix posted:

I can't stop playing this loving game. I'd beat it all in one sitting if I didn't think it would probably kill me. I can't even remember the last time I was this hooked on a game, an RPG no less.

There's a link to the P3 thread in the OP, it's full of pictures.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Yay, I'm happy to hear! I was exactly the same way when I played Persona 4 and Persona 3. When I got Persona 3 Portable, I started playing it at about 4:00PM and played until 4:00 AM. Though I did stop to eat. "Just one more day in game, then I can go to bed..."

Iceclaw posted:

What was your level? I remember trying that guy for the first tume the day after I beat the boss of the Castle, and he opened the fight with rampage, which outright wiped my party. A coupe levels down the road, and the same Rampage was much less threatening, even with the same Personas.

I was level 20 from grinding to get the money to buy the best armors for the team. I used MC to debuff the boss and backup heal, Yukiko to heal, Chie to damage deal with bufu, and Yousuke to cast Sukukaja on the MC and back up with healing or physical damage. My MC had 3 Personas that he used: Archangel had Rakunda, Cu Sith had Sukunda, and Eligor had Tarunda and Media. All three of them I used a Slime to create (Eligor was a triangle fusion) and had them inherit resist physical.

I was holding my breath every turn Tarunda wore off, or every turn the Contrarian King cast rampage. Luckily there were only two times anyone got knocked out. I credit having Sukukaja cast on the MC and Sukunda on the Contrarian King.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Amppelix posted:

Having played Mass Effect 1 and 2 for 44 hours straight I can say that yes, trying to play persona 3 in one sitting would probably kill you. I could bearly stay awake after 44 hours, not to mention I began to forget what I was doing and just walk in random directions for a while sometimes...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So a few months ago on a whim, I picked up P3P, and after enjoying that, went and read the LP for Persona 4, then picked up Persona 4 off Amazon.com for myself. Having gained an interest in the SMT franchise, I decided to pick up the copy of Devil Summoner 2 that had been sitting around in the stockroom at my workplace ever since I'd started working there... only to find out that it was gone. :negative:

Fast-forward to today when I'm out and about doing some shopping after having gone to the movies when I happened to run across a copy of Devil Summoner 2, new in box, and immediately pounced on it. :swoon:

I realize from poking around online that it's going to be different from the two Persona games I've played in terms of mechanics and whatnot, but I'm mostly just wondering how difficult it's going to be, since I've been led to understand that SMT is not the most forgiving of JRPG franchises.

In other words, is it going to give me a choice on whether I want to be kicked in the balls or in the face, or is it just going to kick me in both without warning and then steal my wallet while I'm on the ground?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

W.T. Fits posted:

So a few months ago on a whim, I picked up P3P, and after enjoying that, went and read the LP for Persona 4, then picked up Persona 4 off Amazon.com for myself. Having gained an interest in the SMT franchise, I decided to pick up the copy of Devil Summoner 2 that had been sitting around in the stockroom at my workplace ever since I'd started working there... only to find out that it was gone. :negative:

Fast-forward to today when I'm out and about doing some shopping after having gone to the movies when I happened to run across a copy of Devil Summoner 2, new in box, and immediately pounced on it. :swoon:

I realize from poking around online that it's going to be different from the two Persona games I've played in terms of mechanics and whatnot, but I'm mostly just wondering how difficult it's going to be, since I've been led to understand that SMT is not the most forgiving of JRPG franchises.

In other words, is it going to give me a choice on whether I want to be kicked in the balls or in the face, or is it just going to kick me in both without warning and then steal my wallet while I'm on the ground?

It's actually pretty easy. Just remember: When a message pops up in battle about how a boss is about to unleash a big fuckoff attack, you need to block or you more than likely die horribly.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

So, playing through Persona 4, I've been really impressed with all the little details that you can pick up after you've beaten the game. For example, I'm in May, and when the team goes to visit Tatsumi Textiles to check up on Kanji, Namatame is there making a delivery, identified only as "Deliveryman" with a voice from outside.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
From the Arena thread:

LightningKimba posted:

Persona 4 Arena's Story Mode screens, right here.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

From the Arena thread:

Thanks! I didn't know there was an Arena thread, so thank you for that, too!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Good news, European SMT/SRPG fans.

quote:

Ghostlight Announce SMT: Devil Survivor Games

Hi everyone. With pre-orders opening for Fate/EXTRA, it’s been a big week here at Ghostlight and it’s just got even bigger! I’m delighted to announce that we’re going to be working with the highly acclaimed team over at Atlus once again to release both the eagerly anticipated Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked on Nintendo 3DS™ and its sequel, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 on Nintendo DS™, throughout the PALregion.

We’ve received a record number of emails about these games and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked was by far the most requested game after we announced we would be releasing games on the Nintendo 3DS.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/ghostlight-announce-smt-devil-survivor-games

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench posted:

I'm getting 1/2-shotted by the Change Relic on 36 in P3. It's starting to piss me off. Guess I need to grind my rear end off.
Turns out I just need to change how I play. Acting in a support roll instead of trying to dd my way through it made the fight much easier.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Ugh, i wish they'd do the normal Devil Survivor instead of Overclocked. Not really worth getting a 3DS.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Good for them, they get to make money off a lovely decision Nintnedo made.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ConanThe3rd posted:

Good for them, they get to make money off a lovely decision Nintnedo made.

I don't really get what Nintendo has to do with this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't really get what Nintendo has to do with this.

Region locking the 3DS.

Of course, there's no reason why Ghostlight would pass this up even if the 3DS was region-free.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I still don't get the region locking hate. Is it because I've been playing consoles most of my life so region locking is just something I learned to accept?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The DS wasn't region locked and was a huge reason the system was so good, all the weird Japan only stuff was just an import away. This just stamps all over that potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It also denies a huge amount of titles in familiar languages to both America and Europe for no good reason, as well as punishes those who buy games abroad which might happen when you take a portable gaming machine with you on a trip.