Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You should be able to find one in way better shape for the same money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah that bike could be good or it could be terrible considering how much the PO got it right vs. getting it wrong with the mods. Ask Xovaan about that :haw:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Alright, thanks guys. I'll keep looking, although for some reason it's rare to see an SV of any kind for under 2500ish in my area.

Lord_ExDeath
Nov 21, 2005

That's how it's done...

The Saboteur posted:

Hey guys, any thoughts on this ad?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2907056377.html

Also, pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to remove the fairings on an SV650S and have it look like the 650? I prefer the naked look a bit more and was wondering how easy it is to convert the bike to this feel.

I was actually wondering the opposite of this. I have a 2007 SVS, but it doesn't have lower fairings. Is adding them as easy as just ordering a set and slapping them on, or is there other stuff that has to be done?

edit: I should mention that I'm talking about something that would mount up right below the stock one. If I have to buy several pieces of bodywork, I'll just leave it as it is. I like it just fine the way it came, I'd just like it a little more if it was fully faired.

Lord_ExDeath fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 3, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Yeah that bike could be good or it could be terrible considering how much the PO got it right vs. getting it wrong with the mods. Ask Xovaan about that :haw:

At least the only thing wrong with my bike now is that it sometimes doesn't want to start and just cranks forever. :colbert:

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Lord_ExDeath posted:

I was actually wondering the opposite of this. I have a 2007 SVS, but it doesn't have lower fairings. Is adding them as easy as just ordering a set and slapping them on, or is there other stuff that has to be done?

edit: I should mention that I'm talking about something that would mount up right below the stock one. If I have to buy several pieces of bodywork, I'll just leave it as it is. I like it just fine the way it came, I'd just like it a little more if it was fully faired.

From looking at mine I think ordering the lower fairings and bolting them on is exactly how it would work.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Lord_ExDeath posted:

I've got fairing stays on mine. What color bike do you have? You might talk me into parting with my fairings +stays...

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Other than the FI there is no real difference. 2003 is the worst year to get because it was a one-off year so parts availability is not as good. The frames obviously look different and the gauge clusters are slightly different between 1st and 2nd gen. For all intents and purposes they make very similar power and the suspension/brakes/chassis are the same. The 1st gen naked pegs have a slightly more relaxed position than the 1st gen SVS and 2nd gen SV variants which all share the same peg position.

Going rate for a decent 1st gen is probably 2k or a hair below. I got mine for $1700 from a friend in good condition with about 10k miles.

My 03 had no problems with getting parts since 95% of it was pretty much all 2nd Gen stuff. The main difference from 03 to 04+ was the subframe was a bit different which was good for people who wanted to upgrade the rear shock (you did not have to cut the battery box like you do for all 04+ bikes) and it was also the only year the Copper Red was offered. Outside of that (and the 2 plug setup the later bikes got in what 07?) it was pretty much all the same as far as I know. The one thing to look out for in 03 I believe was the tank had rust issues but it is covered under a recall. If it hasn't been done, then you get a brand new tank, if it has been done then nothing to worry about.

BobSpelledBackward fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 3, 2012

Lord_ExDeath
Nov 21, 2005

That's how it's done...

invision posted:

I've got fairing stays on mine. What color bike do you have? You might talk me into parting with my fairings +stays...

I can't remember the code, but the name of the color is "Candy Sonoma Red".

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Lord_ExDeath posted:

I can't remember the code, but the name of the color is "Candy Sonoma Red".

I have blue ones. Make an offer.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Endless Mike posted:

$2000-3500 depending on year and such. Maybe as high as $4500 for a low-miles last year SF.

Also, $3000-3500ish will get you one with ABS.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I have had less then good luck with 99 Sv so far this season. It decided at the end of last season that it didn't want to start anymore. Had it picked up and replaced spark plugs and cleaned the carbs. Went to pick it up and it started but once it got to 5k~ rpm it just bogged, even with the throttle wide open it barely made power. Back to the shop it went and turned out to be a loose coil connection, picked it up a few days later and went for a great 3+ hr ride without any issues.

Today I went out after work and after about 50~ miles I noticed my speedo cluster would die intermittently, so time to turn around and head back home. I get about 3/4ths of the way home when at a red light everything just dies. Thankfully I was right next to a restaurant and was able to push it to the parking lot. I let it sit for a min and try again, still nothing. No lights, no instruments, even the lovely blue led lights that the PO had on didn't work. I figure it's a loose connection somewhere but being the new rider I am of course I don't have any tools under my seat. Since the bike didn't come with the tool kit, does anybody have a spare they would like to sell? Or at least suggestions about what I should keep on the bike at all times?

I call for a tow, and the guy lets me poke through his tool bag. Sadly he didn't have any allen wrenches in there, oh well. Get home eventually and after we get the bike off the back of the truck and settle up I try again. What do you know it starts right up. Turns out the positive terminal on my battery was just about rattled out. I tightened that up and everything seems to be okay now... is there anything else that could have contributed to the issue that I should double check?

While having to pay for a tow home for a stupid loose screw was a stern lesson to learn the tow dude was hilarious and turns out he rides a CBR 1000. He cut me a break on the mileage charge and wouldn't accept a tip. I also learned you can tow a bike with the cross style tow trucks, an exciting day to say the least.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
So this is kind of embarrassing: I changed the oil in my 08 SV for the first time (changed it before on other bikes) but discovered that the drain plug has a slow leak. It was likely a little under-torqued (a little beyond hand-tight) when I installed it with a new sealing washer and I've since torqued it up to the value in the manual. However it continues to leak if it's been standing for a few hours.

Should I pull out the bolt and change the oil again, or is there any way to fix this without wasting new oil?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Back it out partially, clean the mating surfaces with an aggressive solvent, apply RTV, tighten up again.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I switched from 5w40 to 15w40 and my engine has a bit of buzz through the handlebars and pegs around 5-6k now. Is this normal? Bike seems to still haul rear end...

Also, nerding hard:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Xovaan posted:

Also, nerding hard:

A slight warning might be in place here:

-Do not think of QDM17 while driving.
-There are no jump-pads on the road.
-Most motorcycles simple crash if you try to strafe-jump them.

(Try the Urban Terror TC)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do not ride if you have quad damage!

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Back it out partially, clean the mating surfaces with an aggressive solvent, apply RTV, tighten up again.

Ok, I think this mystery might be solved - I had read a guide that says to use M12 crush washers on the drain plug, and I bought M12 lock washers which apparently are not the same thing.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Most definitely not the same thing... looks like another oil change is in order?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I switched from 5w40 to 15w40 and my engine has a bit of buzz through the handlebars and pegs around 5-6k now. Is this normal? Bike seems to still haul rear end...

Unless you under/over filled the oil or something, it's in your mind.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Most definitely not the same thing... looks like another oil change is in order?

Yes, unless you want to gently set the bike down on a blanket. YMMV, not sure where your crank vent hose goes.

You could also just drain the oil into a clean plastic jug and fill it right back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MotoMind posted:

Yes, unless you want to gently set the bike down on a blanket. YMMV, not sure where your crank vent hose goes.

You could also just drain the oil into a clean plastic jug and fill it right back.

I bet you could take the old one out, cork it with something, replace the washer, and put it back on if you're fast enough without losing much at all.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
Can the SV experts give me an idea of a fair offer for this bike would be? I really want it, but the price seems incredibly high for a nearly 10 year old SV650

Thanks guys!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/2960590303.html

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

opengl128 posted:

I bet you could take the old one out, cork it with something, replace the washer, and put it back on if you're fast enough without losing much at all.

First I need to find a hardware place that sells crush washers, hopefully they'll also sell a spare plug bolt I can use.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My 2001 SV just got its specs checked by a local shop. The guy texted me the specs: "rear cyl.ex: 008. int: .004, front cyl ex: 008 int: 004"

are these good for the next 13k (32k on the bike)?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

My 2001 SV just got its specs checked by a local shop. The guy texted me the specs: "rear cyl.ex: 008. int: .004, front cyl ex: 008 int: 004"

are these good for the next 13k (32k on the bike)?

That is the very tight end of the spec. You could probably run it for the next 13k but given that it's already apart I'd want them adjusted.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Please record your efforts if you choose to do it this way. This could either go hilariously wrong or be drat impressive.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How many of you clutchless upshift? I am gonna start practicing it today and was curious if you guys had any tips.

Videos online don't really show the specifics. "Add pressure to the shifter, snap throttle, enjoy" seems to be the gist of it...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
None. It adds nothing yet makes the bike jerk, especially 1 -> 2.

Probably because I'm a dweeb who can't rev match.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

None. It adds nothing yet makes the bike jerk, especially 1 -> 2.

Probably because I'm a dweeb who can't rev match.

Gotta get back on the gas faster if it's jerking. Kinda counter-intuitive but that's how it is.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Gotta get back on the gas faster if it's jerking. Kinda counter-intuitive but that's how it is.

THAT JUST MAKES THE JERK WORSE ARGH YOU KNOW NOTHING :argh:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Update: Success. Other than 2-3 being a bit rough, the other gears take it flawlessly.

Now to figure out a time to wire in front turn signals!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Xovaan posted:

Update: Success. Other than 2-3 being a bit rough, the other gears take it flawlessly.

I used to do it occasionally on the SV1 because it was easier than using the clutch and trying to hang on at even 3/4 throttle at the same time. Mostly did it when I wanted to merge onto the freeways around here with 20 foot long onramps.

I never really did it 1->2, just from 2 up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

THAT JUST MAKES THE JERK WORSE ARGH YOU KNOW NOTHING :argh:

Shut the throttle less? :shobon:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Shut the throttle less? :shobon:

After a bit of fiddling today the answer seems to be more revs AND shut the throttle less. Go fig!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

I used to do it occasionally on the SV1 because it was easier than using the clutch and trying to hang on at even 3/4 throttle at the same time. Mostly did it when I wanted to merge onto the freeways around here with 20 foot long onramps.

I never really did it 1->2, just from 2 up.

Yeah, I already have a hard enough time preventing false neutrals with this transmission. :downs:

But twice now I thought I hosed up sixth gear somehow because my gears wouldn't go any higher. Then it turned out I was already in sixth gear because I'm a bad. But it made me realize that I really would appreciate a 7th gear, that's for sure.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I have a horrible, horrible time remembering what gear I am in on the highway and find myself going for the mystical 7th pretty frequently. I do check and reset my alarm 6+ times before I finally go to bed, so maybe I'm just nit-picky about some things. However put me on some twisties and I always know what gear I'm in. Must be something to do with the mindset.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I know it's kind of expensive, but I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehEQ58K5cPY

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xovaan posted:

But twice now I thought I hosed up sixth gear somehow because my gears wouldn't go any higher. Then it turned out I was already in sixth gear because I'm a bad. But it made me realize that I really would appreciate a 7th gear, that's for sure.

Quite A Tool posted:

I have a horrible, horrible time remembering what gear I am in on the highway and find myself going for the mystical 7th pretty frequently.

look at you two posh assholes with your fancy 6th gear. It's the one thing that bugs me about the DRZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Well, I swapped out the washers without too much trouble. I'd originally bought an M12 bolt from the hardware store to plug up the hole but when I backed out the drain plug it looked like the thread would be too wide to fit properly. So I just quickly pulled it, changed washers and reinstalled; only lost about 12 oz of oil.

• Locked thread