Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
An incredibly obvious and terribly unfunny joke site at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Poe's Law strikes again!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dvorak posted:

An incredibly obvious and terribly unfunny joke site at that.

What's it like not living in the Midwest?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I thought it was real until I got to the sex slave part :(

Cranky Old Man's picture combined with the last quote of his signature is awesome.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Latest Ultra Hardcore episodes up: Guude, Baj, Pause, Beef and Etho, BdoubleO, Kurt, Docm.

I think the old-timers team is playing a much more cerebral game than the new-comers. Digging out a skele farm, planning to go to the nether, and so on. It's interesting that both teams are packing up to move to a different location, and I'm so anxious to find out what happens next.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fren posted:

Latest Ultra Hardcore episodes up: Guude, Baj, Pause, Beef and Etho, BdoubleO, Kurt, Docm.

I think the old-timers team is playing a much more cerebral game than the new-comers. Digging out a skele farm, planning to go to the nether, and so on. It's interesting that both teams are packing up to move to a different location, and I'm so anxious to find out what happens next.

Well, The old timers seem to have a decent enough lead in terms of supplies. The new guy's golden apple still doesn't even make them even. But if they did stay for some reason, they have a much bigger diamond and gold level cave system to exploit, which could take them into the lead more easily, perhaps.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Giggily posted:

What's it like not living in the Midwest?

Every day I wake up to blowjobs and free money.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Have you seen the latest Yogscast adventure map, called The Dropper?
It's a sort of challenge map about falling, but what really impressed me was the bathroom sections of the map. It made me want to explore stuff in that perspective.
Is there adventures where you're this little dude having to explore a giant "normal" world?
Because that would own!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
New snapshot is out!

http://www.mojang.com/2012/04/minecraft-snapshot-12w16a/

Here’s the development snapshot of week 16, 2012! This week’s list of changes is not as hidden as before:

Added a demo mode for non-premium users (won’t be available until we do a full update)
Added bonus chest option to create world screen
Added option to enable single-player commands to create world screen
Updated language files
Bug fixing and tweaks

Get the snapshot here:

Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w16a/minecraft.jar
Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w16a/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh boy here we go. Is this "premium" thing the beginning of charging those who didn't buy it in alpha even more money? I don't want to pay more money but I know I'll end up doing so.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
I suspect it's to allow free users to try the actual game rather than just classic creative mode.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

FPzero posted:

Oh boy here we go. Is this "premium" thing the beginning of charging those who didn't buy it in alpha even more money? I don't want to pay more money but I know I'll end up doing so.
:psyduck: It's a demo. Remember those things?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm pretty sure any kind of bought-alpha-get-it-all privilege is completely forgotten by now :P It would be cool, but I am not counting on it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

FPzero posted:

any user that's bought minecraft is a premium user. that's all there is to it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

Added bonus chest option to create world screen
What does this even mean? What's a bonus chest?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Updated language files

Oh boy, lets find the naughty words again (unless they learnt from last time and spent some of the piles of money on professional translators...)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

fondue posted:

What does this even mean? What's a bonus chest?
I'd guess they'll be treasure chests scattered around in caves and stuff.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Elysiume posted:

I'd guess they'll be treasure chests scattered around in caves and stuff.
I just checked the minecraft forums; apparently so far it spawns a chest at spawn with basic tools in it.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
I think it might be it generates a starter chest when you create a new map? Jeb mentioned something about it before. It would be useful on flatland maps which have hardly any resources.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

fondue posted:

I just checked the minecraft forums; apparently so far it spawns a chest at spawn with basic tools in it.
Oh, that's actually a really nice feature. I've never liked the fact that every single map starts the exact same way--punch tree, make wooden pick, mine stone, make stone picks. Wooden tools are just stupid.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Elysiume posted:

Oh, that's actually a really nice feature. I've never liked the fact that every single map starts the exact same way--punch tree, make wooden pick, mine stone, make stone picks. Wooden tools are just stupid.

So it saves you a few minutes on a new map. That's not a big deal?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

floor is lava posted:

So it saves you a few minutes on a new map. That's not a big deal?

I would think it's a big deal. After about the 8,000th iteration of "spawn, punch tree, make crafting table..." I get a bit tired of that initial slog. It'd be nice to have a starting spawn chest as an optional "quick start" way to get started in a new world.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shnakepup posted:

I would think it's a big deal. After about the 8,000th iteration of "spawn, punch tree, make crafting table..." I get a bit tired of that initial slog. It'd be nice to have a starting spawn chest as an optional "quick start" way to get started in a new world.

You're just being far too picky about the worlds you spawn.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

floor is lava posted:

You're just being far too picky about the worlds you spawn.

No, I just play in hardcore and suck. The spawn chest is an awesome idea.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thank you various people for correcting me. If it's a demo to try the full version, then that sounds great for letting people try it out and I have no problems with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's a 'world screen'?

EDIT: poo poo, got it now. The 'Create World' screen, not create 'world screen'. Makes a lot more sense.

EDIT 2: vvv Thanks.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 19, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's a 'world screen'?
It's 'create world screen,' i.e., the screen where you make a new world.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Quick start is nice, and there is no reason what so ever not to add toggle-able features such as this.

I just wish that Survival mode had just a bit more in the way of objectives to it, that could be toggled before world creation. Like how some player maps have "Win altars" or whatever that you have to fill. It would be cool to have to scour the land for special items, like a scavenger hunt, culminating I guess with retrieving an item from the Nether and beating the dragon in the end zone. I suppose it might not work in an infinitely huge world, but what about a massive one? Maybe you could toggle world sizes for increased difficulty. Add in Ultra Hardcore toggles, and you have yourself a nice challenge mode.

About finite world size, I was wondering, what would be the possibility of a finite map, that, instead of having borders, simply looped, so if you go far enough east, you pop up in the western edge, etc? It wouldn't be a sphere, because I think that would present huge problems with chunks at smaller sizes. Just an endlessly looping plane?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ToastyPotato posted:

About finite world size, I was wondering, what would be the possibility of a finite map, that, instead of having borders, simply looped, so if you go far enough east, you pop up in the western edge, etc? It wouldn't be a sphere, because I think that would present huge problems with chunks at smaller sizes. Just an endlessly looping plane?

Holy poo poo, I would love this. I'd love finite worlds in general, too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ToastyPotato posted:

It wouldn't be a sphere, just an endlessly looping plane?

A torus. Toroidal worlds are the best, especially when they have one polar ice cap, for maximum illogic.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I've been working on this project on/off for awhile now. It's not finished yet, but I think looks pretty cool so I figured I'd show some of it off.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2012

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I love the architecture of it! That tall building almost feels like a modern skyscraper design. Do you plan on diversifying the building materials? The only criticism I have is that infinite stone brick makes everything look drab.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, I would love this. I'd love finite worlds in general, too.

It could not be seamless, it would look like a big unloaded chunk that you walk into and it tp's you.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Old Greg posted:

I love the architecture of it! That tall building almost feels like a modern skyscraper design. Do you plan on diversifying the building materials? The only criticism I have is that infinite stone brick makes everything look drab.

I do use a mix of building materials for the interiors: wood for the floors and a mix of cobblestone and lightstone for the ceiling. I didn't really show it off here because I didn't want my post to get too image-heavy. As for the infinite stone brick thing that was kind of a conscious choice. I wanted the buildings in that particular area to have a distinct look so they would contrast against buildings in the other sections of the city. It's a little hard to see but I think you can make out the edge of a slum area I built using wood and sandstone to give it a more "lower class" look.

Edit: Here's a few more pictures showing off the slums and some (completed) building interiors:

Also it's a little hard to see, but when I started building this I had a sort of "teired" structure in mind, where the city center was suspended above ground and only the outskirts touched sea level. Here's what it looks like under that big tower:

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 19, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

It could not be seamless, it would look like a big unloaded chunk that you walk into and it tp's you.

Well given the resources Minecraft currently has, sure I guess, but if a real API were developed or something, wouldn't it be possible to legitimately loop it?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Well given the resources Minecraft currently has, sure I guess, but if a real API were developed or something, wouldn't it be possible to legitimately loop it?

I know that it would be perfectly possible today to transpose a number of chunks from opposite edges, so that you can see the world looping. After that, it's all a matter of how smoothly you can TP the player. You can actually get it to be pretty much seamless depending on world size and computer speed if you preload the necessary chunks.

Now, as for making an actual looping world, that's a little bit beyond the capabilities of the game; unless they made a new torus/sphere/cube map format, the geometry would render it impossible.

You can make an extremely convincing illusion though. :)

Syenite fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 19, 2012

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

ColHannibal posted:

Why do you say that? They could give you an option to make a finite world which is "a" blocks long in the X direction and "b" blocks long in the Z direction, centered at the spawn. If you go a/2 blocks in the X direction it starts loading chunks from -a/2. You go -b/2 blocks in the Z direction and it starts loading chunks from b/2. The X and Z coordinates and still increment upward or downward and they could adjust the position variable as the player crosses the threshold.

The world bounds would need to be rounded to the nearest multiple of 16 (this is the number of blocks per chunk, so there is no partial-chunk at the boundary) and there would need to be a minimum value so you don't have the same chunk active twice at the same time, but otherwise I don't see any major issue with it.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Kurt's video this season is really boring. 20 minutes of checking his inventory and the chests. I actually enjoy watching these survival series more than playing the game.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Parks posted:

Kurt's video this season is really boring. 20 minutes of checking his inventory and the chests. I actually enjoy watching these survival series more than playing the game.

That's why I watch it on swigview. If one video isn't holding up, I just look at a different one. Baj logs out for like a minute though throwing off the sync but you can just pause his video when he logs back in and wait for the rest of the videos to catch up.

Team Nancy Drew [Guude, Baj, Pause, Beef] Ep 2
http://www.swigview.com/?size=&cols...u7=&u8=&simple=

Team Dooke [Etho, BdoubleO, Kurt, Docm] Ep 2
http://www.swigview.com/?size=640x3...u7=&u8=&simple=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

i like tacos posted:

That's why I watch it on swigview. If one video isn't holding up, I just look at a different one. Baj logs out for like a minute though throwing off the sync but you can just pause his video when he logs back in and wait for the rest of the videos to catch up.

Team Nancy Drew [Guude, Baj, Pause, Beef] Ep 2
http://www.swigview.com/?size=&cols...u7=&u8=&simple=

Team Dooke [Etho, BdoubleO, Kurt, Docm] Ep 2
http://www.swigview.com/?size=640x3...u7=&u8=&simple=
This is amazing. Thank you!