Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

The General posted:

Wait, somebody just walked up to you and took a pen out of your shirt? :psyduck:

It happens a lot at a counter really. They do it as a joke "oh Ill just take that right there yoink" thing. Its rude as all hell but it happens.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I would personally prefer a joke counter that swung up and smacked people in the face every time they threw their change or cards on the counter when I have my hands out.

This a thousand times this. Yes the counter is wide folks but thats why you meet me half way. I have started doing it right back at them thinking maybe just maybe they will get the point.

The Lord Bude posted:

bunch o words.

I was about to get all defensive at you for telling me what planking is, turns out I am retarded as hell.

Planking laying down wood planks. Why I went to thinking of the internet meme right away baffles me.

Sankis posted:

The more I work as a cashier the more confused I get as to why anyone would ever want to be a cashier.

You are completely financially responsible for any mistakes whether it be miscounting, accidentally accepting an expired or fake coupon, or any other situation that can arise, meanwhile stockers can have tremendous accidents that break $20 worth of stuff in a single go and it's nothing. I'm not saying they should but I fail to see the difference between accidentally giving out a 10 when you should have given a 1 (bad example, but whatever) or dropping $10 worth of sodas and having it soak the floor. You're apparently necessary for the business to operate but you'll be paid minimum wage or slightly over it and be treated with suspicion if anything goes wrong.

Stocker? What about drivers and unloaders? Mistake with the forklift and a pallet breaks damaging a lot of good? Thats ok clean it up and be more careful. Dropped that tv going up the stairs? Thats cool we will send it back. The shipping center wrapped a chemicals pallet piss poorly and now theirs bleach all over destroying over a thousand dollars worth of goods? poo poo happens call and bitch at them.

I think it also comes down to lost money is lost money. Items can be shipped back. Still it sucks I am out about 120 dollars for the passed week because of drawer problems. Why? Because I rather cover the money then be fired. Thing is I honestly think something is extremely wrong but I have no way to prove it.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mid-Priced Carp
Aug 10, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Don't get me wrong. Plenty of people still miss it. "Unknown credit card type or no expiry date" pops up on screen.

:) - Is it a MasterCard credit card?
:byodood: - *shows card, indeed it is*
:) - We don't accept MasterCard credit.
:byodood: - *finally sees it* OH

The best part? When literally ALL THEY HAVE is a MasterCard credit card to pay with and then I gotta call a drat manager to void the transaction.

I did this. I only had the one credit card, and no cash on me. Fortunately my buddy was able to scrape up a buck and change to pay. I'm sorry.

I had a lady in front of me in line at the grocery store today. She was talking on her cell phone the entire time, and refused to respond to the cashier's greeting. This cashier (who I've run into several times, she's very sweet) commented on my shirt and struck up a short conversation with me while she was running the other lady's things. When she finished, the woman threw her credit card at the girl when she was told her total, and got off the phone long enough to snap that it was rude for the cashier to not acknowledge her as she walked away. :psyduck:

The cashier and I had a nice eyeroll and chuckle together when she left.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

chaniara posted:

I did this. I only had the one credit card, and no cash on me. Fortunately my buddy was able to scrape up a buck and change to pay. I'm sorry.

'Sokay. It doesn't bug me that much until it happens 4 or 5 times in an hour. Hell, if I was the AMOD and I saw it happen and it was one thing, I'd probably cut you a one-time break and treat you to it if you were a regular.

Other day, a lady tried to buy something on her debit card, like $12 worth of poo poo, and it was declined. Sometimes our machines go on a decline spree, so she tried it a couple more times, taking off an item or two. Still declined. So I had to post void while she went outside to try and fix it.

Came back, still didn't get fixed, had to post void again.

Third time's the charm, I guess, because she came back again and it was fixed.

Honestly, though, how hard is it to keep even ROUGH track of what you have on your debit card? Especially when you have online banking nowadays and you can even check on your PHONE how much you have?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

D34THROW posted:

Honestly, though, how hard is it to keep even ROUGH track of what you have on your debit card? Especially when you have online banking nowadays and you can even check on your PHONE how much you have?

I try to keep track of what I have on my debit card, but the local ATM's that are convenient for me to check what I have on it charge me two drat bucks just to punch in my PIN and see how much I have :mad: I don't have that much to begin with! So I try to remember, but I end up forgetting... Also I don't have a smartphone :corsair: Callin' and Textin' and that's about it!

VVVVV That has been the source of more then one argument between my parents.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 19, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Plus if you have a joint account it's that much harder to keep track of things because what if your spouse/whatever needed to use the account for an emergency and didn't get a chance to tell you before you went to the store?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I try to keep track of what I have on my debit card, but the local ATM's that are convenient for me to check what I have on it charge me two drat bucks just to punch in my PIN and see how much I have :mad: I don't have that much to begin with! So I try to remember, but I end up forgetting... Also I don't have a smartphone :corsair: Callin' and Textin' and that's about it!

I generally don't use ATMs, but if I'm going shopping, say at Pooblicks, then Walmart, I'll check how much I have online and budget around that. I just...don't get how people can't. v:shobon:v Maybe it's because my father was with IDS way back when and I grew up learning the horrors of bad money management, combined with a dozen overdrafts back in college.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
If I worked at a store and I'm a cashier and nowhere in my job description does it mention anything about cleaning up human waste in the restrooms, could I refuse to do it without getting fired because, as mentioned, it's not in the job description?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
A coworkers of mine who was hired on shortly after me didn't show up to work about a week ago. No call, no text, nothing. Her mom had been sick so the managers figured she was just taking care of her mom and didn't think anything of it to fire her.
I see her back at work Monday (I was pretty excited because she's really nice) and ask her how she's doing, how's school, etc. Then..
"So how is your mom doing?"
"Well.. she passed." And she stifled a sob.
I felt like the biggest most awkward piece of poo poo. :( poor girl.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Getting really sick of the new manager that got transferred to my store. The company seems to enjoy swapping managers around every so often, and this time they made a manager that I really, really enjoyed working with leave for another store, and gave us this...girl.

She's nice, I guess, but she doesn't do poo poo. She doesn't run the register, she doesn't mix paint, cut glass, shades, any of the standard stuff that a manager should at least be knowledgeable about. She's great at interacting with customers which, yes is important for the business. But it's not great when she's talking/flirting incessantly with a customer while we're backed up on register, someone needs paint, etc etc.

Also she never lets me be on the floor, even when I'm on a shift with one of the less experienced guys. Goddamnit woman, I can do everything the guys can do, I know my poo poo and it's slow. Let the kid run the register so I can do something useful.

Bitch bitch BITCH. I do not like working with this girl. I like both my other managers a lot, but I hate working shifts with her.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Coconut Indian posted:

If I worked at a store and I'm a cashier and nowhere in my job description does it mention anything about cleaning up human waste in the restrooms, could I refuse to do it without getting fired because, as mentioned, it's not in the job description?

My uninformed opinion: You probably have a vague "help around the store" descriptiom but can possibly refuse on the basis that human poo poo is a biohazard?

edit: schedule has me doing six days in a row, not the same week OF COURSE! Guess who is calling off one of those days if he cqnt get it changed?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 19, 2012

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Coconut Indian posted:

"Other duties as assigned". :smith:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Coconut Indian posted:

Sadly, as pointed out - no. Most contracts you sign, along with the laws that each state/nation/province, usually have what I call a 'bullshit clause' where the employer can just veto anything you think. Don't want to do this? BULLSHIT, do it or you're fired. Not in your job description? BULLSHIT, you're doing it anyway. Unless it's a safety issue or you need to be certified for something, you have little recourse if they give you the necessary tools.

However, it's always good to document things yourself and get things in writing if they're being dicks about it. If you're the only one that they make clean up poo poo and occasionally don't give you the tools (gloves, disinfectant, etc.), I think that's grounds for harassment in the workplace.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Great! Its friday. That means I get to go home early and finally have two days off! Oh wait I forgot I work in retail.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i'm probably super paranoid but today i objected to 6 days in a row and got sunday off, though i was told it won't happen again because apparently theres no one else those days (my problem how?). Later I was told i needed to improve and also got notified that the store manager reviewed me. I feel like something bad is about ti happen. :tinfoil:

Darth Freddy posted:

Great! Its friday. That means I get to go home early and finally have two days off! Oh wait I forgot I work in retail.

The amount of customers who think i have weekends off because, hey, week end, is always confusing to me.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

Ahh don't you love that. Listening to people tell you how awesome it is that it's Friday. That and days before long weekends/shutdowns. Fuckers. Most of my customers are union and that means that every holiday is a long weekend/week off. Fuckers.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So I had my official interview for department manager today! Of course it had to be my store manager who gave it, I guess he has to do all the interviews to bump people up to management but he makes me so drat nervous. I'm worried, it was out of the blue (basically just got pulled into the office on my way through the back room)and between that and it being him doing the interview I know I must have looked like a deer in headlights. I...think I did ok? I hope? I'm hoping having pretty much every manager I work with on a daily basis vouching for me will help make up for a little awkwardness. The stupid thing is I'm not nervous or awkward around any of the other managers, at all. Just this guy.

So how the hell do you know if you did good in an interview anyway? I've never had such a formal one before. When I moved up at my old job it was basically just-

"Hey, you wanna move up to this?"
"Hell yeah!"
"Cool."

Uhhhhg.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

Darth Freddy posted:

Oh yes. The last time I have had Saturday and Sundays off were back when I was in school. Same with federal holidays. So every Friday/holiday I always get naive customers wishing me a good weekend/holiday, and all I can do is give a fake smile and say "thanks, you too!" :unsmigghh:

In other news, every time I'm at work a part of me dies inside. I think by now I'm actually a zombie. I swear I am the only sane employee in my department, especially when management is away (not that they're any better). I had one of my coworkers explode at me just because I reminded him to make more chicken. Another coworker kept leaving the bread counter to gently caress around and talk with other workers so I kept having to swing by to help customers there. When he finally returns, he totally misses the point:

:spidey:: About time you returned! You know we had a bunch of customers here that needed help?
:downs:: Well I was helping a customer too.
:spidey:: For how long? All I saw from over there was just you talking to [coworkers X, Y, and Z]
:downs:: Well, we can trade places now.
:spidey:: Okay, well I made more samples, use this when that runs out, etc, and please [coworker], just try and keep an eye out for customers.
:downs:: I have a better idea. It's kinda slow right now, so let's do an announcement advertising the seafood on sale! We need to help boost their sales and I think my announcements help!
:spidey:: :doh: No. Just pay attention to customers, stop wandering off/loving around, and I will go back to the deli counter.
:downs:: But you're creative! You can help me write the announcement and everything!
:spidey:: :ughh: I am going back to the deli counter now. Just pay attention to the customers and give them their bread.

It feels like I'm wrongfully stuck in a mental institution and there is no escape.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Had a customer try to quick-change me with a return today. Basically, they were trying to switch around returns, purchases, and "price adjustments" in such a way that I'd end up letting her get some poo poo for free, or on a massive discount. It didn't work (I was following what she was trying to do, and my manager was watching subtly over my shoulder from another register), so she just walked away in a bit of an obviously annoyed rush.

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008

Sankis posted:

The amount of customers who think i have weekends off because, hey, week end, is always confusing to me.

I've had a customer tell me that "No one should have to work Sundays! :downs:"
Yeah, I just love my job so much that I volunteer to work weekends, yessiree!

(And no, they didn't mean it in a Sunday/Lord's Day kinda way.)

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

Nohtenki posted:

I've had a customer tell me that "No one should have to work Sundays! :downs:"
Yeah, I just love my job so much that I volunteer to work weekends, yessiree!

(And no, they didn't mean it in a Sunday/Lord's Day kinda way.)

The best part is when they claim that no one should work weekends/Sundays/holidays while they are already there on said weekend/Sunday/holiday. Have they also ever considered exactly who would serve them on those days if all of us retail/food workers had off too? Robots? Actual volunteers? Second, if you believe weekends/holidays are meant to be enjoyed with family or whatever your reason is, then what the hell are you doing in my store?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

BigGayLogan posted:

The best part is when they claim that no one should work weekends/Sundays/holidays while they are already there on said weekend/Sunday/holiday. Have they also ever considered exactly who would serve them on those days if all of us retail/food workers had off too? Robots? Actual volunteers? Second, if you believe weekends/holidays are meant to be enjoyed with family or whatever your reason is, then what the hell are you doing in my store?

"Nobody should work on [insert day or holiday]!"
"I agree! Get out and go home!"

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008

BigGayLogan posted:

That was EXACTLY it. If you think I shouldn't be working, then don't order food from me!
I am quitting this job and going back to my old job, where there is actually a possibility that I don't have to interact with every dumb rear end that walks in the door.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I've had too many poo poo customers lately, but today I got an awesome one. He was an odd, gnomelike little man who correctly divined (after about two seconds) that I'm trying to be a writer. "Word of advice," he said. "Write four sentences a day. None of that 2000 words nonsense, just four sentences you're happy with. One great one and three okay ones. Write them longhand, in nice handwriting, and put them in a shoebox. Once you have a lot, pull them out and start arranging. Go from there."

He also said, "I have taught thousands of students how to write. I remember all their names. I call them all Sam. Good luck, Sam." (My name is not Sam)

Working with the general public means being knee-deep in voluble weirdos all the time, but God or somebody told me to listen to this one, and I'm glad They did. Really made my day.

spite house fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 21, 2012

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Who else had a bunch of people celebrating 4-20 come in? Some folks came in reeking so drat much of it I think I got a mild contact high.Sadly none had any to share so it pissed me off more then anything. drat it if I have to spend the day sober so should you! I hate my job.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
My neighbors apparently don't think people work weekends, period, as theyre just singing and yelling outside our window and in the hallways. Med school must be nice, geez.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

one of three employees just quit. I am already working just over 50 hours a week. :smithicide: Did I do something in a passed life to warrant this? Oh for hosed up things the person quit by a loving text message, not a phone call, not a emaill, not a hastily scribbled letter slipped under the door but a loving text message. Yeah the job sucks and is bull poo poo but you don't quit like that and you don't leave two other people hosed up the rear end like that.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
After a very stressful store remodel in the winter and a stressful Easter due to corporate chewing out our district, things are finally starting to calm down. Several people have taken their vacations due to it being slow and hours plummeting.

Finally I can have a vacation after all those stressful situations and just get the gently caress out of the work place for a week. Oh wait, the opening clerk that was supposed to be transferred to our store starting tomorrow went on a leave of absence due to high blood pressure from anxiety of not wanting to work at our store. That means I am the go to guy to cover her rear end. Thanks a lot!! So now I have to wait a couple more weeks due to others wanting to take their vacations.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I survived my last day without incident!

Karen avoided me the whole time she was there, refused to speak to me and left in a rush.

Later on she realized that she needs me to sign my dismissal forms, so she called and told the keyholder to tell me that she'd be in before I left so we could do that.

...and then she never showed up.

Sucks to be her. Dollarama has been removed from my phone and I don't answer calls from strange numbers, so if she calls to ask me to come in...nope. I'm sure that will reflect poorly on her?

Also, now that I don't have to worry about losing my job, I'll be calling the confidential employee hotline and telling them EVERYTHING that went on while I was there.

With my luck, though, they'll say "you're not an employee any longer." and that'll be that, but still. Oooh, I can't wait!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

One of the pregnant coworkers is now bitching because she only got 9 hours this week. Well, little missy, when you call out sick two out of five days and faint two days out of the other three, why is the manager going to risk that happening again when he can just schedule you for close to what you're ACTUALLY working? Said she's going to call him tomorrow and bitch, and I truly hope he tells her what I just said.

On the plus side, I get Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday off this week and I still get 20 hours.

But 15 of those are on closing nights with the manager I hate closing with. :shepicide:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

D34THROW posted:

One of the pregnant coworkers is now bitching because she only got 9 hours this week. Well, little missy, when you call out sick two out of five days and faint two days out of the other three, why is the manager going to risk that happening again when he can just schedule you for close to what you're ACTUALLY working? Said she's going to call him tomorrow and bitch, and I truly hope he tells her what I just said.

On the plus side, I get Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday off this week and I still get 20 hours.

But 15 of those are on closing nights with the manager I hate closing with. :shepicide:

And watch as the manager caves to the demands of the pregnant lady because HR departments constantly shrink from confronting anyone with any sort of condition. I recall a member of staff at GAME who lied about having various conditions (including both long and short term memory loss) that basically made him functionally incapable of doing any job within the store - couldn't work a register, couldn't help customers as he couldn't recall product features, couldn't process deliveries as he'd forget what pieces he'd counted. The store manager called HR and told them that this guy had lied at interview, couldn't do the role and there were no alternative roles for him. HR told him they weren't touching someone with medical conditions with a ten foot pole and it was his lookout for not finding out in advance.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Today a customer told me I have good breasts. So there's that.

On a better note, a group of kids (that shoplift every day) came in today, one of whom was previously banned from my store. My manager reamed him out, which was awesome because only recently have we started cracking down on these kids, and so they just kept coming back. The only ones that are allowed back are the ones that were lucky enough to not get caught (yet).

Robin Sparkles fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 22, 2012

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Well this is nice. Co worker comes in and says there's a bloody shirt at the side of the building. I of course want to see how bloody it was. No blood at all some one went to the side of the building and poo poo there and used their shirt to wipe with. Some one actually went and poo poo against the side of the building and on the side walk before leaving their lovely shirt on top of it. Some loving poo poo went and on the building and the sidewalk poo poo on it! went out of their way and poo poo on it. What the flying gently caress is wrong with people.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 22, 2012

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Darth Freddy posted:

Well this is nice. Co worker comes in and says there's a bloody shirt at the side of the building. I of course want to see how bloody it was. No blood at all some one went to the side of the building and poo poo there and used their shirt to wipe with. Some one actually went and poo poo against the side of the building and on the side walk before leaving their lovely shirt on top of it. Some loving poo poo went and on the building and the sidewalk poo poo on it! went out of their way and poo poo on it. What the flying gently caress is wrong with people.

Once while I was working at the petrol station a pretty filthy looking customer asked to use the toilet, normally it would be fine but it was out of order, so I told him so. He marched back out the door, walked into the car-wash area, dropped his trousers and poo poo right there on the concrete.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Darth Freddy posted:

I agree it was a pretty lovely thing to do.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

And watch as the manager caves to the demands of the pregnant lady because HR departments constantly shrink from confronting anyone with any sort of condition. I recall a member of staff at GAME who lied about having various conditions (including both long and short term memory loss) that basically made him functionally incapable of doing any job within the store - couldn't work a register, couldn't help customers as he couldn't recall product features, couldn't process deliveries as he'd forget what pieces he'd counted. The store manager called HR and told them that this guy had lied at interview, couldn't do the role and there were no alternative roles for him. HR told him they weren't touching someone with medical conditions with a ten foot pole and it was his lookout for not finding out in advance.

She wrote him a letter..."for his eyes only", apparently. Me and the AMOD tonight both got the feeling she's going to play the pregnancy card, but she has at least two other people (myself and the AMOD tonight) that can say she was lazy and didn't do a goddamn thing, even something as simple as condensing the clip strips behind the register, while the OTHER pregnant girl was shopping for go-backs and even doing some.

What does it come down to, C? It's not pregnancy that's getting you fewer. It's incompetence and unreliability.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I'm ringing up the last customer (hopefully) last night. Sure, come in at 10 to close and load a buggy up with poo poo, no problem!

She writes me a check for $380-something dollars that the register kicks back (too many checks written on this account today) so I call the manager up to see if he'll override it/tell her we can't take it[1]. She decides to walk out and leave all of her poo poo there.

And my manager, at 20 minutes past closing, tells me that I have to stay late, pull out all the cold product in this overfull buggy, and put it all back before I can leave. When the store is full of people whose only job is to restock everything overnight.

gently caress you, I cashier for $8.25/hour, I'm not staying until midnight to do someone else's job.

(I did it though because it's loving impossible to find jobs around here :negative:)

[1]: I could have told her myself but I don't loving care enough about the job to invite that tantrum. Been here almost a year with always some sort of promotion 'right around the corner' which conveniently gets given to people newer/lazier than me. Yeah, gently caress that, you want to pay me barely above minimum wage, that's the kind of effort/care you'll get: minimum.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Darth Freddy posted:

one of three employees just quit. I am already working just over 50 hours a week. :smithicide: Did I do something in a passed life to warrant this? Oh for hosed up things the person quit by a loving text message, not a phone call, not a emaill, not a hastily scribbled letter slipped under the door but a loving text message. Yeah the job sucks and is bull poo poo but you don't quit like that and you don't leave two other people hosed up the rear end like that.

Honestly, you can't blame people for running away from a toxic work environment like it's a burning ship. The real blame is with management for creating the horrible work environment that causes people to flee and also for being so understaffed that a single person realistically worries about their hours going UP from 50. None of that helps with your situation, but it's worth keeping in mind. When your turn comes, you shouldn't feel any sort of guilt about fleeing as fast as you can.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I'm pretty sure my store is cursed. Over the past month and a half we've had about 4 or 5 deaths in the family for different team members. It feels like every week I'm filling out a new sympathy card. We're all guessing the store was built on some burial ground or something.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Honestly, you can't blame people for running away from a toxic work environment like it's a burning ship. The real blame is with management for creating the horrible work environment that causes people to flee and also for being so understaffed that a single person realistically worries about their hours going UP from 50. None of that helps with your situation, but it's worth keeping in mind. When your turn comes, you shouldn't feel any sort of guilt about fleeing as fast as you can.

I know I felt guilty when I put in my two weeks notice and realized that all "my" customers problems were going to now be my coworkers problems. But then I realized that was the whole reason I was leaving- the disorganization and poor task management that kept creating this loop. They hire a few people who are "rocks" and can endure bullshit and hold the store together, but the truth is- everyone is replaceable. The manager, assistant mg, keyholders, sales, cashiers, stock, even the CEO. It just is about serving the stakeholders of the company and turning a profit. I still can't understand why every single retal place does the same thing: promote lazy idiots, or hire from outside, and continually punish honest and hardworking people. And these people are me. We call them "pushovers, naive, easily manipulated" but the truth is we are just courteous people who come in to do our jobs and are treated by dog poo poo by our coworkers, managers, and customers for being stupid enough to waste our time doing these thankless and worthless jobs.

Think about it. The store would rather have you stand there, hold the line, and tell them no you can't do this or that and have the customer become upset and scream at you- at which point a "manager" would come over and give them what they want- because this solution is cheaper than empowering your employees to deal with problems. Or creating a store environment which avoids issues like this in the first place.

I can't count the number of times I have people walk in, ignore every person ask them for help, grab some undershirts, come up to the counter, and when we tell them their total, they go off on us because its over $x amount. OR they yell because no one is helping them or they can't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
When I was hired on at TW, one of the stipulations was that you had to be able to lift up to 50lbs multiple times in a day. Now, I'm not the strongest person but lifting some of the boxes of wine is no big deal. But doing it every 3-5 minutes for as long as 12 hours a day? It really takes a toll on everything. My arms don't hurt so much as my abs, from bending over and lifting. It feels good to be getting a little stronger but at the same time, it's kind of annoying.
Like yesterday at work. normally I wait until the person unloads everything from their cart onto the belt (store policy, another reason for people to complain "I have to have everything on the cart?! *ssssiiiiiiiigggghhhh*") before I start to load a box, because it's easier to be able to set the box into the cart and load it that way, than to load the box and try to lift it into the cart. The boxes aren't so much heavy as they are awkward but depending on what they have it can be heavy.
So anyway, these people came up and had a lot of stuff. Their cart was literally filled past the brim. Obviously this made it impossible to wait for them to unload the cart, so I started filling a box. It was mostly champagne, so it was heavy, and the box was very large, making it very awkward. The man of the couple was a very strong, fit, athletic-looking man. I am a fat, weak, 5'4" tall woman. I am struggling to lift this box because I can't get a good grip on it, and he looks over and laughs and goes, "Wow, that looks heavy!" You loving think, rear end in a top hat? I managed to lift it but trying to get it into the cart was a different story, so I basically dropped it into the cart, and the cardboard managed to cut nice diagonal lines all the way down my arm from my armpit down to my wrist. Nice.