Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Wrist Watch posted:

We've already seen that people in dream bubbles can interact with beings that aren't in dream bubbles when Fefiri contacted Jade when she was asleep, and we also saw Fefiri heal WV through a bubble where she hit God Tier. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we have the mass dreambubble breakout everyone used to talk about.

Beyond that, I don't see why total bodily destruction implies she's gone for good. I would imagine the whole God Tier resurrection accounts for that. If he had tripped and fallen into a pool of acid in a manner neither just nor heroic, I imagine she'd still come back despite having been fully dissolved by it.

How much of an unending agony that would be as she swims back towards the surface, dies, dissolves, and repeats, who knows.

Not that I'm overtly rooting for her to stay dead or come back one way or another, mind, I just one of the handful of people who really dig the "Your world is a living video game" stuff and the implications thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Watuhboy posted:

The question to ask yourself is: When was the last time Hussie did something that was hilarious, that DIDN'T end up being important at some point later in the story?

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that Tavrisprite wasn't for horror/hilarity's sake, because it was, but I am guessing that it will ALSO end up being an important bit of foreshadowing regarding either a kernelsprite we already know or one we've yet to meet.

I was mostly responding to anyone asserting that Hussie did this ONLY to troll readers, which he never does. By which I mean he never SOLELY trolls his readers with events, there's usually something else to them. To wit: Hussie was accused of "just trolling everyone" when Gamzee went on his murderous rampage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cabbit posted:

Beyond that, I don't see why total bodily destruction implies she's gone for good. I would imagine the whole God Tier resurrection accounts for that. If he had tripped and fallen into a pool of acid in a manner neither just nor heroic, I imagine she'd still come back despite having been fully dissolved by it.

Dave and Rose were immolated in the heart of a new star and they went God Tier with no problems. Bodily destruction doesn't seem to be much of a barrier.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that Tavrisprite wasn't for horror/hilarity's sake, because it was, but I am guessing that it will ALSO end up being an important bit of foreshadowing regarding either a kernelsprite we already know or one we've yet to meet.
Oh no davesprite :ohdear:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

FT posted:

Oh no davesprite :ohdear:

Dave and the Seppucrow have an understanding, he'll be fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Watuhboy posted:

The question to ask yourself is: When was the last time Hussie did something that was hilarious, that DIDN'T end up being important at some point later in the story?

Almost everything with The Exiles :colbert:.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

karmicknight posted:

Dave and the Seppucrow have an understanding, he'll be fine.

The internal dialogue, Davesprite's prototyping:

DAVE: hey im just gonna chill in this sprite thing we cool
BIRD: caw
DAVE: sounds like a 'hell yes please'

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm really hoping Jane immediately messages UU and screams at her for making her play a game where a terrifying nightmare monster like this can exist.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I still can't stop laughing at this:

TAVRISPRITE: wHAT,
TAVRISPRITE: Thhhhhhhhe,
TAVRISPRITE: gently caress!!!!!!!!,

That pretty much perfectly sums up the collective reaction to that whole thing. I'm a little disappointed it ended so soon, but poo poo it was funny either way.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Almost everything with The Exiles :colbert:.

The Exiles are directly responsible for the command format for the entire comic, as in they're sitting at the terminals giving commands/suggestions to the characters. I assume we keep using that format after we know that they're no longer at the terminals because it would be pretty boring otherwise to just see "==>" for months straight.

PM is also important in that she's helping to slow down Jack and allowing the troll/kid meteor a bit more time to escape, and WV was important because he ate the uranium which Jack needed back in Cascade.

How were they not important?

E: :downs: what the gently caress is sarcasm

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Waffnuffly posted:

I'm a little disappointed it ended so soon, but poo poo it was funny either way.

I'm impressed that it lasted just long enough for people to draw the horrifying conclusions of the whole merged-personalities-and-souls thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wrist Watch posted:

The Exiles are directly responsible for the command format for the entire comic, as in they're sitting at the terminals giving commands/suggestions to the characters. I assume we keep using that format after we know that they're no longer at the terminals because it would be pretty boring otherwise to just see "==>" for months straight.

PM is also important in that she's helping to slow down Jack and allowing the troll/kid meteor a bit more time to escape, and WV was important because he ate the uranium which Jack needed back in Cascade.

How were they not important?

I was joking. Mostly poking fun at the whole WV Rise Up/fever dreams set up that was just a big PSYCHE thanks to/because of Jack's Uranium plundering, but WV will probably (or hopefully) have something to do by the end of the comic.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just trying to work through the mechanics of dream bubbles and prototyping, knowing that they still probably haven't been completely explained...

So far, the only kid that we've seen in a dream bubble is Beta John, right?
After Alpha Rose, Dave, and Jade's deaths, we just saw their consciousness snap to their non-dead self, with no implication that another version had just entered a dream bubble. I don't recall Rose and Jade assimilating any wayward selves or dreams when they hit god tier.
This was different for Jadesprite, who was traumatized by being yanked from her afterlife. This could be different because she was a made from a dead dream self, but that doesn't completely mesh with Vriska and Tavros' regular selves being used to prototype Jane's kernel.

Did Hussie ever explain how not only was Aradia's ghost walking around, but how her dream self didn't die soon after Sollux killed her real self?

Also, Nannasprite and Jaspersprite, the two talkative sprites made from corpses, didn't seem to be traumatized.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

So far, the only kid that we've seen in a dream bubble is Beta John, right?

We saw a Beta Dave, too. He was hanging out with DeadTavros.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I seem to recall that Jadesprite freaked out because she had been dead for a very, very, very long time. Like, centuries, I think, due to some sort of temporal shenanigans (probably related to how Grampa Harley got back from the Medium to Earth).

Jaspers was a cat, meanwhile, so I don't think he's horribly capable of freaking out. Presumably, Nanna wasn't dead for triple digit time and being an very old woman was probably relatively at peace with the concept of her own death anyway.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

-Since the bodies have been destroyed, there is effectively no way for Vriska to come back, period. So people hopefully will learn to let it go. The only other avenues would be the bottled blood or Beta Vriska, neither of which strike me as likely options.

Actually, this isn't true. In fact, I'd say that of the methods for revival of the various characters, the ones that involve having a corpse sitting around are in the minority. The most obvious method for revival (at least as far as I see it) is actually a Problem Sleuthesque dream bubble breakout. This doesn't mean it will happen, just that destroying the bodies didn't actually close off any potential avenues for revival.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Kind of a random thought but I really miss Hussie's Q&A time :( Not sure why he decided to slow down on it.. I guess cause he could be more productive with his empire and business. Sigh. At least there's Gunnerkrigg's formspring that's still active.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Cabbit posted:

I seem to recall that Jadesprite freaked out because she had been dead for a very, very, very long time. Like, centuries, I think, due to some sort of temporal shenanigans (probably related to how Grampa Harley got back from the Medium to Earth).

Jaspers was a cat, meanwhile, so I don't think he's horribly capable of freaking out. Presumably, Nanna wasn't dead for triple digit time and being an very old woman was probably relatively at peace with the concept of her own death anyway.

Nanna died the day John landed - so she'd been dead for 13 years at least externally. However, it's not clear whether anyone other than active players actually gets a conscious afterlife. We certainly haven't definitely seen anyone else in the bubbles.

Jadesprite didn't specify how long she "felt" she'd been dead; but if that sort of thing relates to the time the corpse spent corpsing along its own subjective timeline, it would also have been 13 years or so, assuming that Grandpa came back to Earth shortly before Jade's meteor smashed the Crocker factory. For someone as distraught as she was, that could conceivably be long enough to push it all aside, but short enough for everything to come flooding back at the slightest reminder.

(Also, Jade said she spent her dead time between getting blown up and attaining dog tier talking to people in bubble land. We didn't actually get to see that, though.)

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I think Tavrissa won't be coming back any time soon. Something *that* ridiculous is only really good for a one-time gag. It's just too silly, except for the self-exploding suicide part.

MODS CURE JOKES fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 19, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Watuhboy posted:

FedoraFreak.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

FedoraFreak.

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm still confident FedoraFreak will have his day :colbert: We just haven't found any of his dreambubbles yet, that's all.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Mystic Mongol posted:

FedoraFreak.

Don't count the Gent of Piss out just yet.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
We're more likely to get more Tavrissprite than the Gent of Piss.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Mystic Mongol posted:

We're more likely to get more Tavrissprite than the Gent of Piss.

You're absolutely right, he's god tier, how could I forget? We'll see the HERO of Piss.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nate RFB posted:

I think Hussie did this for a few reasons:

I think the big consequences in this sequence are

1> as someone else mentioned, it's likely all the B2 kids' kernelsprites will be destroyed shortly after entry (maybe one even before entry!)

2> the fate of the prototyped after the kernelsprite's destruction. We got our chuckles out of that abomin8ion of Fudge and Blueberry Bubblegum, but maybe this means Pounce is chilling with Nepeta in the afterlife.

Maybe somewhere, long after all these crazy adventures, there will be something for Nanasprite.

edit:

Bongo Bill posted:

I was under the impression that Jadesprite freaked out because of being bonded with a First Guardian, who speaks like this:

It was both

quote:

JADESPRITE: you shouldnt have, this is overwhelming and awful
JADE: oh no, it is?
JADESPRITE: yes!
JADESPRITE: its hard to describe what its like
JADESPRITE: but its too much for me
JADESPRITE: and the sun...
JADESPRITE: its way too big and bright and i cant stop seeing it...
JADESPRITE: it wont go away aaaaah!
JADE: :(
JADE: thats terrible, im really sorry
JADE: i guess i did not think this through
JADESPRITE: cant this be undone?
JADESPRITE: i was happy where i was with my friends
JADESPRITE: i want to go back

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 20, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cabbit posted:

I was under the impression that Jadesprite freaked out because of being bonded with a First Guardian, who speaks like this:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I wonder if prototyping two self-aware beings will ALWAYS end up like this? If you prototyped John and Dave, would it end up like this even though they're best bros, or would they Jovesprite be able to work something out and exist? Is John so dumb that it'd basically be Dave making occasional "bluhs" at worst?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
So who else hopes Jane will go on an alchemy binge sometime during this act? I've really missed those. :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
We already missed Gristmas :(

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gristmas in July?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Prototype Lord English and his diametric opposite.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kit Walker posted:

Squiddle + 8 Ball?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Did Hussie ever explain how not only was Aradia's ghost walking around, but how her dream self didn't die soon after Sollux killed her real self?
She had some extra time to stick around compared to others. Actually compared to other corpses she was practically made of time.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

-Since the bodies have been destroyed, there is effectively no way for Vriska to come back, period. So people hopefully will learn to let it go. The only other avenues would be the bottled blood or Beta Vriska, neither of which strike me as likely options.

As I specifically pointed out once before, Nanna was brought back from mere thirteen year old ashes, and there's plenty of Vriska and Tavros' blood left to go around. So if any of this was a "No, they aren't coming back" gesture, then it was an extremely ineffective one.

Fortis posted:

I'm not particularly worried that Nannasprite, Jaspersprite, or uh... Jade are going to go kamikaze any time soon, but it's probably worth keeping in mind that the remaining sprite is doomed...

We don't know for a fact that sprites are doomed, merely that they're attracted to the dead or doomed for use in prototyping. (We still don't actually know what killed the Troll's sprites, and the beta kid's sprites seem to have survived the end of their game well enough.)

Dr Christmas posted:

Aradia's dreamsprite hadn't been "Activated" yet. Perhaps as a ghost, living Aradia may not have even fully counted as "Dead" yet, since she didn't go to the dream bubbles, but instead was spiritually lingering around the world still.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Midnight Raider posted:

We don't know for a fact that sprites are doomed, merely that they're attracted to the dead or doomed for use in prototyping. (We still don't actually know what killed the Troll's sprites, and the beta kid's sprites seem to have survived the end of their game well enough.)

I think he meant Davesprite in particular, who is unfortunately doomed due to coming from a beta timeline. He has hung around longer than all the other doomed Daves (quite a bit longer if he ends up making it to the new universe), but it's just a matter of time. :ohdear:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kit Walker posted:

Prototyping Lord English would have terrifying implications for the local imp population.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Prototyping Lord English would have terrifying implications for the local imp population.

We already know that all prototypings will take place post-entry and therefore not affect the underlings at all.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Looper posted:

I think he meant Davesprite in particular, who is unfortunately doomed due to coming from a beta timeline. He has hung around longer than all the other doomed Daves (quite a bit longer if he ends up making it to the new universe), but it's just a matter of time. :ohdear:

I don't know about that. Kernelsprites are attracted to dead/doomed things. Beta Dave was not dead, but he might as well have been, so entering the Kernelsprite was essentially as much of a revival as it was to Nanna and Jaspers, and I believe Hussie said something to the effect of this long ago on his Formspring. That doesn't mean Davesprite CAN'T die, but he isn't "destined" to like anyone else who comes from a beta timeline, and I think his survival is enough proof, as it stands out compared to the swift deaths of everyone else who came from a beta timeline.

Think of it this way, if Beta Dave had simply stopped John from rocketing off to face his denizen and then promptly died, if Dave tossed his corpse into the Kernelsprite then, would he still be doomed? Probably not. So I don't think the Kernelsprite cares either way.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 20, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

QuoProQuid posted:

For the billionth time, this is post entry, only pre entry ones affect the medium in any way aaaaaaggghhhhhh

Unless you mean in general, in which case well poo poo yeah. I think that goes from "unwinnable" to "Sburb has performed an illegal operation and needs to close".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Looper posted:

Arguably, he died in the process of creating Davesprite - or rather, his agency as a participant rather than a piece of the game was terminated. (And then the game ended and he survived.)

I really doubt Davesprite is doomed, and would argue that, should he die in the course of the story (a distinct possibility, as it would likely be in a way that mirrors Dave's growth into the role of "hero"), it wasn't due to being doomed - it will be of his own volition.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Davesprite excised his "doom" by becoming Davesprite. From there he wasn't slated to die because he was a part of the game, and since he survived the game he's now as viable as anyone else.

EDIT: beaten like a butlerbot.