Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MonkeyHate posted:

I will continue to be an idiot on my DRZ when not on the street.

That's what DRZs are for, isn't it?

Glad you came out in one piece. lovely brakes was one of the many factors that compounded into my first major accident too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MonkeyHate posted:

I relaxed the front brake enough to stop the slide but of course was then way too close to the wall. I then tried to turn away from the wall while still hard on the front brake. Highsided at that point. Bike flipped over and started to slide while I came down next to it landing on my hands and knees and rolled. Bike wound up inches from the wall, undamaged expect for some new rash here and there.

Physics says if your bike didn't make it to the wall while sliding on it's side, you could have stopped it before it hit the wall on it's wheels. I don't usually recommend stopping over swerving but a wall does change the situation a bit ;)

Glad you're ok.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

MonkeyHate posted:

Another stupid brake related wreck: A couple of weeks ago I was swapping dirt wheels onto the DRZ (yay spring!) when I noticed my rear brake pads were down to the metal. So while I waited for replacements to arrive, I just pressed them back away from the rotor surface and vowed to ride even more cautiously than usual and not use the rear brake if I could avoid it for a few days.

What got me was riding hard towards a wall waiting until the last possible moment to brake hard and swerve off towards another imaginary obstacle.

This is hilariously retarded - to the point that it's hard to believe it's true.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Is it bad that I really want to see a GoPro of this or security camera footage?

Glad you're ok though mate.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Akion posted:

People actually buy the >2008 models?

Yes, my KLR is painted with rubber sealant.

It looks awesome from that distance.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

orthod0ks posted:

It looks awesome from that distance.

Actually looks pretty good up close. It's Rubber Sealant with a layer of clear coat over it. Almost looks like Rhino Liner. Pretty durable feeling, too.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Akion posted:

Actually looks pretty good up close. It's Rubber Sealant with a layer of clear coat over it. Almost looks like Rhino Liner. Pretty durable feeling, too.

KLRs are meant to have that rugged look anyway... well that or the rockin 90's pink/purple look.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

orthod0ks posted:

KLRs are meant to have that rugged look anyway... well that or the rockin 90's pink/purple look.

Yeah, I like this look more. Just ordered my engine/tank guards. Now I just need some hard-sided panniers and a few bits of gear and I am set.

Oh, and I need to stop being a tard and take the MSF. I've been a dong and ridden on a permit for the last 3 years.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

orthod0ks posted:

See, I actually paint all of my vehicles in Halloween latex spirit gum to give it that "peeling 90's GM/Honda acrylic paint" look. Makes me blend in with California traffic.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
Posting from the ER. Was taking a left corner when a woman coming the other way decided it was time to turn into a gas station. I was going 35-40, i think, i was looking through the turn not at my speedo. I started my emergency braking as soon as i could but there wasnt much room. Torque fractured tib / fib, operation tomorrow to re-set it. They had to cut my smx plus to get it off... Cant imagine what would have happened if i didnt have them on. I think i hit the passenger side door but its all a blur. This was on rt20 in marlborough ma, going around a lake, no idea what shape my bike is in but i can only guess it's pretty much totalled :(

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Anarchist posted:

Posting from the ER. Was taking a left corner when a woman coming the other way decided it was time to turn into a gas station. I was going 35-40, i think, i was looking through the turn not at my speedo. I started my emergency braking as soon as i could but there wasnt much room. Torque fractured tib / fib, operation tomorrow to re-set it. They had to cut my smx plus to get it off... Cant imagine what would have happened if i didnt have them on. I think i hit the passenger side door but its all a blur. This was on rt20 in marlborough ma, going around a lake, no idea what shape my bike is in but i can only guess it's pretty much totalled :(

Holy poo poo, man, that is some real-time reporting.

lovely about the leg, I can't imagine how bad that hurts. Is that your only injury? Were you fully geared otherwise?

Get well soon!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Anarchist posted:

First, glad to hear you're, for the most part, OK.

Take a day man, we'll still be here after you get home and are resting comfortably.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Anarchist posted:

Torque fractured tib / fib, operation tomorrow to re-set it.

Been there, done that. It loving sucks for a while. Let us know what kind of hardware you get.

If you have to stay in the hospital for a while and you find you can't pee in the bedpan laying down, remember that nurses have seen everything under the sun and will not blink at helping you stand so you can empty your bladder.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it. Full gear other then riding pants, no other injuries other then a scrape on my right leg thankfully. I dont have a mark on my helmet and didnt get knocked out or anything, im still going to send it to shoie so they can check it out. Thankfully they could get my jacket off without cutting it.

I was extremely lucky, there was an off duty firefighter at the gas station and the first officer on the scene actually is one of the towns motorcycle patrol. From what I've been told the back end of my bike hit the roof of the car, and all the steps i took were the correct ones. I was trying to think if there was any rider error on my part but it seems like wrong place wrong time. Ill know more once i talk to the officer tomorrow.

My leg hurts a whole hell of a lot, first time I've ever broken anything. Just about everything else hurts when I try and move / sit up, already looking for my next bike.though :)

Edit: putting a rod through my tib with some screws at the bottom. Its an oblique fracture maybe a few inches above my ankle.

Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 19, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Insurrrrance payout. Your troubles with your SV are now dissipated, that's something positive. good luck with the surgery. From what I understand, a torque fracture is when your bone is twisted into two, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've heard it called a spiral fracture before. Holy gently caress, cringing so hard right now. :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hope you have a fully recovery, man. Impacts are my only fear. :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Accident sucks but really glad you're here posting about it and we're not reading about it on the news! :)

Heal up fast!

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

It's not a full spiral fracture, a mostly clean brake with a slight twist at the end. I am positive it would have been much worse with out the boots. They tried to set it in a cast but its not stable enough because the slight spiral fracture. They gave me ketamein so they could try and set it.. That was interesting to say the least. I havent been able to get clear answer on recovery time but its hovering around 8 weeks. Oh well, still above the dirt. Could have been a whole lot worse. Ill post xray pics when i can :)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Anarchist posted:

It's not a full spiral fracture, a mostly clean brake with a slight twist at the end. I am positive it would have been much worse with out the boots. They tried to set it in a cast but its not stable enough because the slight spiral fracture. They gave me ketamein so they could try and set it.. That was interesting to say the least. I havent been able to get clear answer on recovery time but its hovering around 8 weeks. Oh well, still above the dirt. Could have been a whole lot worse. Ill post xray pics when i can :)

Any accident that doesn't leave you in a wheelchair or the grave...

Glad you're gonna be all right.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Anarchist posted:

Yeah I think my recovery was supposed to be 4-6 weeks...it's been about three months so far and I -still- can't get a clear answer from anyone...and haven't even started PT.

Don't go buying a new bike til you know when you can ride it. I almost bought one right away and now I'm glad I don't have to stare longingly at it every day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Becktastic posted:

Yeah I think my recovery was supposed to be 4-6 weeks...it's been about three months so far and I -still- can't get a clear answer from anyone...and haven't even started PT.

Don't go buying a new bike til you know when you can ride it. I almost bought one right away and now I'm glad I don't have to stare longingly at it every day.

I can't remember what kind of injury you have, so I'm assuming tib/fib like Anarchist. Are you still in a cast or have you upgraded to a walking boot? If you've been cleared to start putting *some* weight on it, then just start walking around as much as you can stand (pain is the body's way of letting you know to ease off just a hair). I never actually got a prognosis from my docs, but I broke both bones in my leg just above the ankle in early June. It was probably August when I was taking steps in a walking boot with most of my weight on crutches. Late August I upgraded to walking around with a cane. By September I was riding again, and by December I had just about ditched the cane for good.

It still hurts in the morning when I get out of bed, and I can't quite walk 2 miles without being sore afterwards. The trick is to exercise it often and increase the limits of what it can take. A doctor I spoke with (he parked his motorcycle next to mine, actually) said that it might take as many as 6 years to fully retrain all my muscles and ligaments.

As far as staring longingly goes: I had my bike in the back yard during the whole recovery. When the battery died, I ordered a new battery and dragged a kitchen chair out back so I could install it. When I decided I was ready to get on the bike and start it, I discovered a fuel leak from an eroded gasket. Waiting the few weeks while the shop fixed that probably gave me extra time to recover that I needed.

Edit: It looks like it's your arm not your leg and this was back in January, yes? I've never broken one of those, so I don't have any good advice for you beyond that if you've been cleared to use your arm, use that mother as much as you can stand.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 19, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

poo poo man, glad you're ok and glad to see you're still planning on riding.

Get well soon!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Anarchist posted:

a mostly clean brake

Eheh, usually the spelling error is made the other way round. :) Good luck on recovery mate.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: It looks like it's your arm not your leg and this was back in January, yes? I've never broken one of those, so I don't have any good advice for you beyond that if you've been cleared to use your arm, use that mother as much as you can stand.

Yeah, this is me:

And I seriously can't -wait- to use my arm. They ended up having to do surgery (after waiting months to see if it might heal without, so that's why I'm back at square one). Very frustrating. I'll post a pic of my metal when I get my x rays next week. They went wild in there, I have two plates, like a dozen screws and some gnarly incisions that look like I tried to off myself.

:emo:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Becktastic posted:

Yeah, this is me:

And I seriously can't -wait- to use my arm. They ended up having to do surgery (after waiting months to see if it might heal without, so that's why I'm back at square one). Very frustrating. I'll post a pic of my metal when I get my x rays next week. They went wild in there, I have two plates, like a dozen screws and some gnarly incisions that look like I tried to off myself.

:emo:

I am very much not a physical therapist, but you might want to try some of these if they don't assign you physical therapy: http://www.livestrong.com/article/22825-exercises-fractured-wrist/

Sucks they decided to wait a long time before going back in with screws and plates.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Safety Dance posted:

I am very much not a physical therapist, but you might want to try some of these if they don't assign you physical therapy: http://www.livestrong.com/article/22825-exercises-fractured-wrist/

Sucks they decided to wait a long time before going back in with screws and plates.

I'm sure they will, but thanks for the link. Once I can start moving this thing, you bet I'll be doing PT as often as they let me and as much as I can at home too. I want nothing more than to get back in the gym and start rock climbing again. I don't know how I feel about riding just yet. I'm sure I will still enjoy dirt riding, but on the street in my car I scream every time anyone turns left in front of me and I'm afraid on a bike I would overreact to everything and hurt myself. I think the mental stuff may take longer to fix than the physical.

My doctor wanted to operate right away, but everyone said it might heal fine without. I guess he couldn't get approval til he waited and things actually slipped out of place like he said they would. I'm just hoping it heals right this time, because even with the plates he said there's a chance it will slip again. I guess because the fracture is complex and close to the end of the bone.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

I didnt end up needing surgery, they took more xrays and the Dr. is confident that it should heal fine in the cast. I just have to get xrays every week to make sure everything is stable. Ill be moved to a physical therapy center either tonight or tomorrow. I'm pretty happy i dont have to go under the knife, and hope it stays that way.

My upper body is killing me though, I'm pretty sure i either bounced of her car or belly flopped on the pavement.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Safety Dance posted:

:words: about healing

Sounds so much like my experience. When I broke my foot I was in a boot and able to walk without crutches after about 2 weeks, but it really took the better part of 3 months to be able to walk on it without the boot, and even then it slowly got less and less painful over the next 2 months until it settled on a dull pain when I would walk on it. I was convinced it would just stay painful forever until I really got aggressive about working it out. Every morning I would low-dose an advil and stretch it for a few minutes, repeating on my lunch break and before bed every day, while trying to walk as much as possible as naturally as possible. After a couple weeks of this my foot was 100% back to normal and I'm honestly starting to forget which foot I even broke.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

iwentdoodie posted:

That's more a textbook lesson in why no one should start on a 600.

Glad you're okay, but your roommate is seriously an idiot.

Ha alrighty then, the sheer amount of people responding to this with "Buy something smaller your roommate is an idiot" have actually convinced me since without going into a long story, i didn't pay for this 600 it was given to me by a friend. I think ill go out and buy like a 250r or something small (real cheap actually) and cut my teeth on that before i start back on the 600 later. This was a "NBD" wreck but its enough to know i could have hosed up way worse, Thanks for the advice.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Anarchist posted:

Write more about this :drugnerd:

Is that a typical drug to give to people in serious pain? I thought it was a horse tranquilizer... are you a large dude?

Hope the recovery time is shorter than that but be glad it wasn't an arm/wrist break. A lot easier to shower with a bag over your cast when its on the leg. It's the little things you forget about :downs:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

schreibs posted:

Write more about this :drugnerd:

Is that a typical drug to give to people in serious pain? I thought it was a horse tranquilizer... are you a large dude?

Hope the recovery time is shorter than that but be glad it wasn't an arm/wrist break. A lot easier to shower with a bag over your cast when its on the leg. It's the little things you forget about :downs:

Ketamein in low(er) doses is a dissociative analgesic. I got some when they were setting my bones as well. You still feel the pain, but in a more academic way. It's like, "Oh yeah, that definitely hurts like a mother. Cool bracelet, is that paracord?"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ketamine will definitely make you numb in higher recreational doses. :v:

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

I was in another universe and didnt feel a thing they did, it was pretty great. At the rehab place now surrounded by cute nurses

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Anarchist posted:

I was in another universe and didnt feel a thing

Sounds like Vitamin K alright

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Drug Test... Us [For the love of god try not to add content to this!]

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of which, riding to class on 4/20 in Santa Cruz is probably one of the most terrifying experiences you can imagine. :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Solution: Ride a dual sport through the porter meadows.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I didn't do it, but someone else successfully totalled my car and my bike in one fell swoop! Inside my parking garage!

Long story short, guy hit gas instead of brake, hit the wall in reverse, then put it in drive and slammed my bike into my car then through a wall (almost).

I'm sad, it was my grandfathers car and also the nicest 83 supra around :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I didn't do it, but someone else successfully totalled my car and my bike in one fell swoop! Inside my parking garage!

:drat:

Christ man, that's lovely... I hope insurance takes care of you.

• Locked thread