Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

RizieN posted:

I either hav a Vinyl problem or a drinking problem, and when both mix I always end up spending money... These guys rolled through town last night and I saw them randomly without ever knowing about them, and the show was bad rear end so I bought these:

They're a pretty sick Psychedelic rock group from San Francisco, what they were doing at my local hang out in Cincinnati I have no idea.

I saw them at Hopscotch a few years ago. They took forever to set up but they were pretty cool psych rock. Lots of poo poo going on with that group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

WASDF posted:

Rainy Tuesday afternoon... time for some whale sounds on vinyl.

Our poker night has a thing for whale sounds records. Puts a bit of suspense in the game. Also, any too-serious arguments are usually crushed by the soothing whale songs.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

tatoBug2 posted:

Everyone excited for RSD?

My local record store is a 40 min drive away, and not a terribly big one at that. Main thing I want to get is the gorillaz single, but no idea how easy/hard it will be to get hold of. Still looking forward to it though.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Gorillaz is limited to 500 copies according to this http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/RSD_2012_RELEASES_WEBSITE.pdf
I have a decent amount of stores around me but unsure how many I want to hit to try for one, especially knowing that if there aren't any at the store I hit first, the others would likely have sold before I get to them. A lot of cool stuff in that list, hoping for at least a Tomahawk set and maybe a Garbage single.

When I asked at the closest store about the Tomahawk set last week the clerk said it was random boxes and they don't know what they're getting but I don't know if that's accurate. Looking at how many are low print run I'm assuming he wasn't bullshitting me.

Edit: not that it matters to anyone but me, gotta vent my pain anyhow, there are at least 5 shops within 10 minutes of my house. However on Saturday I am housesitting for my mother on the far goddamn edge of town. So yea, I feel ya on the no close stores day, couldn't have waited till next week to go outta town.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 19, 2012

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Lariat posted:

Gorillaz is limited to 500 copies according to this http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/RSD_2012_RELEASES_WEBSITE.pdf
I have a decent amount of stores around me but unsure how many I want to hit to try for one, especially knowing that if there aren't any at the store I hit first, the others would likely have sold before I get to them. A lot of cool stuff in that list, hoping for at least a Tomahawk set and maybe a Garbage single.

When I asked at the closest store about the Tomahawk set last week the clerk said it was random boxes and they don't know what they're getting but I don't know if that's accurate. Looking at how many are low print run I'm assuming he wasn't bullshitting me.

I will choke a hipster for that Gorillaz single. Everything else I want is in pretty high supply, from what I remember, but that one disc is gonna be my holy grail. The local store ordered it, but they haven't posted what they have yet (though they'll probably be going through it today, because they posted a lovely picture of two man-sized towers of RSD boxes. I think stores order what they want, and get sent what they want, in amounts that are available.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RizieN posted:

I either hav a Vinyl problem or a drinking problem, and when both mix I always end up spending money... These guys rolled through town last night and I saw them randomly without ever knowing about them, and the show was bad rear end so I bought these:

They're a pretty sick Psychedelic rock group from San Francisco, what they were doing at my local hang out in Cincinnati I have no idea.

What the... there's a new album? :psyduck:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What the... there's a new album? :psyduck:
It's a bit of a break from their old sound. To be honest I'm not really into it

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

shmee posted:

first edition 'The Velvet Underground and Nico' (banana not peeled)

What? Does she realize that she could probably pay a month of rent for the bar with that record? I mean I'll DJ at a bar with some rare stuff, sometimes up to 100 bucks or so, but I wouldn't bring a record into a bar if it was worth 500+

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=velvet+underground+unpeeled

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Hi guys, up until about 2 months ago I only owned 3 records that were gifts and a broken record player. Then a husband of a co-worker of my mother's passed away, leaving a fairly large record collection that's basically a snapshot of a period from 1979-1990. I fixed the player, and started to dig through the collection.

It's taken me a while to dig through but I've now separated them into two crates of things I know and love, and things I either don't know, or know are not my taste. I figured you guys would like to see most of the cream of the crop, also i wanted to show a buddy online so here:

There are maybe another 15 or so that are awesome, maybe 7 Tommy Boy records, and another Kraftwerk album "Trans-Europe Express."

I've also added a few things like another Culture Club record, Elton John's Greatest Hits, and a couple singles. I'm really liking that there are so many great records in 99c bins.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 19, 2012

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

I will choke a hipster for that Gorillaz single. Everything else I want is in pretty high supply, from what I remember, but that one disc is gonna be my holy grail. The local store ordered it, but they haven't posted what they have yet (though they'll probably be going through it today, because they posted a lovely picture of two man-sized towers of RSD boxes. I think stores order what they want, and get sent what they want, in amounts that are available.

I know, I'm almost more worried about getting hold of it than I was about a job interview the other day (man, there's something wrong with me...). The "local" store is quite a small one as well, so while there (hopefully) won't be as many people they'll probably get less stock and the next nearest store is another 15-20 min drive.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

RizieN posted:

Oh drat, I used to rock Embrace all the time. Somehow I completely forgot about that band.

I'm mentally prepared for RSD on Saturday. Planning on heading over to my local store as soon as they open, and see what's going down. This is my first time, so I have no idea what to expect. Usually there is MAYBE one other person in the store browsing the vinyl section when I'm there, and it seems like they rarely restock. Should be interesting anyway.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Oh drat, I used to rock Embrace all the time. Somehow I completely forgot about that band.

Probably because the second album was incredibly weak. Except for maybe Marina.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I didn't know poo poo about their catalog other than the show was bad rear end. So I was talking to one of the band members telling him my favorite bands & influences and he said to get their first & latest albums, so I did!

Gonna give them a proper listen tonight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RizieN posted:

Yea I didn't know poo poo about their catalog other than the show was bad rear end. So I was talking to one of the band members telling him my favorite bands & influences and he said to get their first & latest albums, so I did!

Gonna give them a proper listen tonight.

Embrace is just great all through. And yeah, they are really nice people. The lead singer guy had no problem just shooting the poo poo with a new fan for 20 minutes. Great people.

Here's a great sample of the album: Lord

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea they were super nice at the show. I don't know who I talked to, maybe the guitarist or bassist, but we talked about music and poo poo for a while before they went on, and I was drunk so I was probably rambling but he was really chill. It was kind of weird seeing them at my normal hang out which isn't that big of a venue really, kind of a neighborhood joint.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RizieN posted:

Yea they were super nice at the show. I don't know who I talked to, maybe the guitarist or bassist, but we talked about music and poo poo for a while before they went on, and I was drunk so I was probably rambling but he was really chill. It was kind of weird seeing them at my normal hang out which isn't that big of a venue really, kind of a neighborhood joint.

I saw them in a small venue too. They get around.

I just pre-ordered the Tomahawk - Eponymous to Anonymous set at HMV.co.uk. I doubt it will go through, but it is the only record store day item they have for pre-order.

Maybe I'll get lucky. 25 pounds is completely reasonable.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
My local store only has one copy of the Gorillaz single. :negative:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Judoon Platoon posted:

My local store only has one copy of the Gorillaz single. :negative:

You better get your rear end over there 4am.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
gently caress Record Store Day.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CPL593H posted:

gently caress Record Store Day.

not an emptyquote.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I'm just going to go to my usual shop and buy the records I wanted this weekend. If they happen to have the Devo, Luna or GG Allin discs then I'll buy those too.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am trying to find a copy of Heady Nuggs, I am guessing that ebay is the best place to do it unless you guys have ideas on a better used record store on the net?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Flaggy posted:

I am trying to find a copy of Heady Nuggs, I am guessing that ebay is the best place to do it unless you guys have ideas on a better used record store on the net?

Maybe check on amoeba's website? I feel like I saw one at the SF store last time I was there.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Flaggy posted:

You can get a new copy for $105 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004RAW4Q2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My local metal/punk vinyl store burned to the ground today -- so inclination to go out is entirely diminished. Plus the DFA1979 album being cancelled means that I don't really have a reason to get anything.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/04/19/smoke-billows-through-exchange

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
RSD is a huge ripoff, especially once you see the prices on a lot of the stuff coming out. And it's not even stores marking this poo poo up exorbitantly but rather the high prices the labels charge wholesale for most of it. It's basically a way for major labels to put out what are often no-effort releases (see: almost every RSD 7") that have name recognition and be able to sell out of an entire run at inflated prices without having to worry about overstock or returns (as none of this poo poo is returnable). It's a win-win for the majors because they get to look like good guys that care about independents while at the same time making easy, no-or-low-risk money. It's a good weekend financially for many of the stores involved (assuming you aren't stuck with a bunch of stock that will be dead once the weekend is over), but it doesn't really create new customers; it either gets people into your store one day out of the year because they're suckers for hype or want to flip poo poo on eBay or worse yet it will piss off your regulars since you're not supposed to hold poo poo and they didn't want to wake up bright and early to fight a mob on a Saturday morning.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

theradiostillsucks posted:

RSD is a huge ripoff, especially once you see the prices on a lot of the stuff coming out. And it's not even stores marking this poo poo up exorbitantly but rather the high prices the labels charge wholesale for most of it. It's basically a way for major labels to put out what are often no-effort releases (see: almost every RSD 7") that have name recognition and be able to sell out of an entire run at inflated prices without having to worry about overstock or returns (as none of this poo poo is returnable). It's a win-win for the majors because they get to look like good guys that care about independents while at the same time making easy, no-or-low-risk money. It's a good weekend financially for many of the stores involved (assuming you aren't stuck with a bunch of stock that will be dead once the weekend is over), but it doesn't really create new customers; it either gets people into your store one day out of the year because they're suckers for hype or want to flip poo poo on eBay or worse yet it will piss off your regulars since you're not supposed to hold poo poo and they didn't want to wake up bright and early to fight a mob on a Saturday morning.

I've talked to two guys who own indie record shops and they both told me that for years a bunch of the labels that run RSD would tell them to go screw any time they wanted to get poo poo. Now all of a sudden because college kids are digging out their parents turntables the very same labels are trying to get these guys to sell their overpriced poo poo for a hyped up "event". I haven't actually heard any record store employee or owner who actually said anything favorable about RSD.

If Record Store Day is only one day a year, you're doing it wrong.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 20, 2012

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
i bought black elvis/lost in space by kool keith and i found out that it's actually a first pressing misprint. i cant find out much about this other than that some other people have this same misprint. anyone know how much it might be worth?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Aerobic Robot posted:

i bought black elvis/lost in space by kool keith and i found out that it's actually a first pressing misprint. i cant find out much about this other than that some other people have this same misprint. anyone know how much it might be worth?

Looks like around $5.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Just can't stop buying Coil records. This lovely thing came in the mail today:

Windowpane

Picture disc

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I don't really have the disposable income for a record collection so I settle for CDs but there is no way I couldn't get this:

I have had the CD for ages and decided I should buy it while it's still available from *shels and I think I made the right choice.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

theradiostillsucks posted:

RSD is a huge ripoff, especially once you see the prices on a lot of the stuff coming out. And it's not even stores marking this poo poo up exorbitantly but rather the high prices the labels charge wholesale for most of it. It's basically a way for major labels to put out what are often no-effort releases (see: almost every RSD 7") that have name recognition and be able to sell out of an entire run at inflated prices without having to worry about overstock or returns (as none of this poo poo is returnable).

That David Bowie picture disc 7" coming out on Saturday costs $18.

For a 7". Two songs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

That David Bowie picture disc 7" coming out on Saturday costs $18.

For a 7". Two songs.

It's also worth pointing out that it contains material that is neither new or previously unreleased. But hey why pay five bucks for the entire Ziggy Stardust album when you can buy the Starman picture disc for almost four times that price?

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah yeah yeah RSD is a scam etc etc, but there's still legitimately new, unreleased, exclusive things coming out that day. We all know we're not dumb enough to buy an $18 7", so why does it matter? For a small record store, that day of big sales is a real help, regardless of how lame some of the merchandise is. The place I work at will probably be able to put in some large orders of brand new records, as well as buy some new things for the store and help pay the rent.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Where are you guys getting the prices from, local store quotes or is there a list somewhere?

7 copies of the Gorillaz single on ebay already, 493 left to find!

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 20, 2012

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

And four of those are from the same seller.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I try to make it Record Store Day as often as possible. I also religiously avoid flavour of the month type poo poo. Maybe I'm doing records wrong.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That Invada.co.uk DROKK special edition is here:

quote:

DROKK MEGA EDITION
Limited to just 400 numbered sets

Bespoke embossed DROKK metal film canister containing:

2 x 10” Heavyweight Grey vinyl LPs
(inc tracks not on the standard LP)
Circular studio numbered print
Bunker deluxe edition CD with
drokk-card access to bonus material
DROKK T-shirt

for 60 quid. Pricey, but listening to the full album right now and I gotta say:

:drat:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CPL593H posted:

If Record Store Day is only one day a year, you're doing it wrong.
It's actually twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The DFA 1979 release is not cancelled! Hoping to buy a copy online!