Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
http://www.gamerecruiter.com/services/virtual-career-expo/

I could have sworn this was supposed to be today. I got an e-mail from someone about it with today's date as when it was supposed to happen, and I do recall when I looked it over back in February it did say April. I was really looking forward to this too :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Going to the OC beer Wednesday tonight. Identifying marks: friendly squid T-shirt. Perhaps I will see some of you there?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Hope so! And Jim's back from his surgery, so it won't be nearly as dead as it was last week.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sigma-X posted:

I would like to share with you all the best/worst thing about the games industry, in a single contextless quote:

"We have just spent one man-hour talking about taint"
- our very own Megashark

I worked with 40k, that sounds pretty normal and on topic to me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FreakyZoid posted:

Paid is a barrier to entry vs free. Doesn't matter how small the price is, you've still caused a moment of friction that doesn't need to exist. Look up the "penny gap" for more info on studies etc. around this. Especially if your game has retention based around a social component, you really want as many players as possible since they're still adding non-monetary value to your game.

Ads always seem to essentially be there as an annoyance that tempts the player in to upgrading to ad-free once you have already hooked them on your game, since everything I've read points to them not making much money.

I came across an interesting series of articles that presents a more detailed way of looking at this problem. The first two are more about piracy, while the third one extends it to the recent pay-what-you-want trend, but they can be generalized to most business models dealing with digital goods.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Etheldreda posted:

Going to the OC beer Wednesday tonight. Identifying marks: friendly squid T-shirt. Perhaps I will see some of you there?

Hoping to make it next week, I'm exhausted and still trying to get settled in. Next week I ought to make it.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

We 'finally' announced our new game that I am working on...

Gotta say, Unity is pretty baller, working on a mobile game is really fun for me, personally, as it's quite quick to get everything up and running to a good level of polish. F2P and all those other market trends :v:

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Fishbus posted:

Gotta say, Unity is pretty baller, working on a mobile game is really fun for me, personally, as it's quite quick to get everything up and running to a good level of polish. F2P and all those other market trends :v:

Looks awesome. Love the art direction (nice color choices). The trailer was great, too! Love the "GUYS!" part.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Fishbus posted:

Reading http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168795/ about it (it looks pretty ace btw) one line really stood out for me...

"...free-to-play console game coming next year."

Do you happen to know which one? I think last time anyone bothered speaking to MS and Sony about such things they basically said "no plans", and I imagine that if either of them ARE going to support F2P that's going to shake their cert process up no end (hopefully for the better hahahaha it'll be worse).

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Fishbus posted:

Looking forward to play this, the video looks really fun and interesting.
We actually had an idea of doing something simillar (combat, turn based game) based on the Kingdom Rush world.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fishbus posted:

I would be looking forward to this, but I have a 'droid and you are not supporting it. Which is basically racism.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.flashpointacademy.com/graduates/game.html - How not to write a bio.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

mutata posted:

http://www.flashpointacademy.com/graduates/game.html - How not to write a bio.

I find bios incredibly painful to read to begin with...What are the highlights?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

fookolt posted:

Soandso's whole life revolves around video games. Therefore, Soandso must be awesome at making video games.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jan posted:

Soandso's whole life revolves around video games. Therefore, Soandso must be awesome at making video games.

One might even call them "passionate" about video games.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

fookolt posted:

"After his childhood friends moved away when he was young, Tracy began playing video games. With his dreams as inspiration, Tracy hopes to one day immortalize a part of himself in a game."

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Ferdinand is also depressing; his passion for games stems from parental neglect.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Where exactly are the "wilds" of Michigan?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

mutata posted:

When all you do is play video games, the outside as a whole is transmuted into a veritable jungle of terror.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

mutata posted:

Detroit?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

^^^^^^^^ :argh:

mutata posted:

Detroit

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I know there's been talk of Kickstarters and press releases a lot in this thread, and I figured I would point out that on the latest Giant Bombcast, they make a few jokes about setting up an e-mail filter to send any press release mentioning Kickstarter to the trash. Wouldn't be surprised if this was true for other members of the press, as well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chainclaw posted:

I know there's been talk of Kickstarters and press releases a lot in this thread, and I figured I would point out that on the latest Giant Bombcast, they make a few jokes about setting up an e-mail filter to send any press release mentioning Kickstarter to the trash. Wouldn't be surprised if this was true for other members of the press, as well.

Glad to see that middle schoolers don't have the monopoly on the whole "hating things because they're popular" thing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mutata posted:

Contrary to popular belief, the upper peninsula still hasn't been annexed by Canada yet.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm just oblivious to the world but I don't get why people don't like kickstarter. It almost seems like the future to me.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
concerned mom: I am inclined to agree. Getting people to pay up-front has the particularly attractive side effect that you can take piracy out of the equation, provided you can pick a good price-point up front and obtain backers. By the time the game is released you've recouped your losses and any further sales are gravy. Of course, this all depends on your ability to demonstrate a good track record and deliver on your promises.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Cause people hate when you spend money on things! (Stupid Shadowrun thread) Bad enough they said that only nostalgia will be the main factor.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Maybe I'm just oblivious to the world but I don't get why people don't like kickstarter. It almost seems like the future to me.

I think the fallout from Star Command's Kickstarter is a pretty good example:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts

People went nuts over how these guys spent their money, and a lot of people don't understand that Kickstarter isn't an investment.

PA Report has a big article on it:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-ugly-side-of-kickstarter-why-the-risks-in-backing-gaming-campaigns-are-

Now that people are getting "burned" by Kickstarter, the public perception is really changing directions on it.

It's also quickly becoming a sign of "you don't know what you're doing" to the press and other people. While there are some fantastic Kickstarters for video games (I think Kickstarters for things like board games are almost always amazing: the game's usually done, they just want to get a good print run in), most of the Kickstarters are just poorly done. Look at the Star Command one, they had no concept of what the cost of their rewards would be, and about a third of the money they got went right back into prize fulfillment.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Chainclaw posted:

I know there's been talk of Shitfarters and press releases a lot in this thread, and I figured I would point out that on the latest Giant Bombcast, they make a few jokes about setting up an e-mail filter to send any press release mentioning Shitfarter to the trash. Wouldn't be surprised if this was true for other members of the press, as well.

Toucharcade editorial policy is now not to post shitfarters. I remember the Destructoid guy saying the same thing, too. I don't think it's so much a "WELL IT'S POPULAR, SO I HATE IT" thing. It's probably more along the lines of them getting dozens of cover my shitfarter stories per day now, due to everyone seeing Doublefine's success with it. That's when the flood started.

And yeah, the realities of a lot of them failing, Doublefine's end results from it not even being proven yet, and all people that have no idea what they're doing, going after that sweet free money.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm also not trying to hate on anyone who wants to try doing a Kickstarter. It was mostly a "hey be aware that public perception on this might be shifting soon."

I know that many people in the industry are still on the side of "This is a magical wonderful tool, what could go wrong?" We get to find out what can go wrong now that the initial rush of Kickstarted projects after Double Fine's are ending.

Also, without the traditional publisher or investor relationship, I'm curious how many Kickstarted projects are going to be left to dry at like 90% completion. What do you do at that point, if your money runs out and the end is in sight? There's no one to beg for more money.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Like any fad, it'll crash for a while, then build up again. Once people get bored with it they'll start hating it, then when they get bored of hating it they'll move on and leave the people who are still interested in it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This is great, thanks for posting it. It kind of reaffirms what I've thought and puts it into words. Kickstarter is so exciting and the real, serious projects are so awesome that the idea of so-called news outlets getting sick of it and refusing to report on it rubs me the wrong way, but fads is fads.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular
I assume there's some legal liability on the part of kickstarter developers to come through with their projects if the project is part of the reward. Otherwise they could just start a kickstarter for something, take the money and run.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

djkillingspree posted:

I assume there's some legal liability on the part of kickstarter developers to come through with their projects if the project is part of the reward. Otherwise they could just start a kickstarter for something, take the money and run.

Kickstarter is very careful to ensure that no one thinks of Kickstarter backers as investors. Kickstarter's policy on it is, it's your job to do your homework as a backer. If the budget is unreasonable or the project seems too good to be true, don't become a backer.
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backing%20a%20project#WhoIsRespForFulfThePromOfAProj
So yeah, there's nothing stopping you from taking the money and running.

vvvvv yep there are guidelines on what you can fund on Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 19, 2012

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Chainclaw posted:

Kickstarter is very careful to ensure that no one thinks of Kickstarter backers as investors. Kickstarter's policy on it is, it's your job to do your homework as a backer. If the budget is unreasonable or the project seems too good to be true, don't become a backer.
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backing%20a%20project#WhoIsRespForFulfThePromOfAProj
So yeah, there's nothing stopping you from taking the money and running.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's considered putting up a kickstarter with a £2 goal. "I'm going to the pub, and I really want a pint."

Unfortunately they seem to have rules against that too :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If I ever got cancer, I'd start one. "Kickstart me not dying! $100 gets your name in the credits, executive producer credit in 'me living' and this t-shirt! $1000 gets you a piece of my surgically-removed tumor that I've named 'Larry'!"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Category Fun! posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's considered putting up a kickstarter with a £2 goal. "I'm going to the pub, and I really want a pint."

Unfortunately they seem to have rules against that too :(

There was a kickstarter whose goal was to buy kickstarter. I don't know if it's still around.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
While we're on the topic of Kickstarter again, I'm just wondering if anyone has some good resources for how to pitch a project?

I'm thinking of starting one up in the near future when my personal project reaches a point where it's good enough to show off, but I'm absolutely terrible at trying to sell my ideas. Especially since my project is reasonably derivative (2D retro metroidvania platformer), I can't really seem to find a good way to sell it.

Of course there's a good chance that even with a perfect pitch it won't gain any traction since the genre isn't really all that underserved and I don't have any name recognition, but hey, if there's a chance that I could go indie full-time I'd feel foolish not to at least take a stab at it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

mutata posted:

Glad to see that middle schoolers don't have the monopoly on the whole "hating things because they're popular" thing.

I would imagine they're getting flooded by trash Kickstarters, though. Just absolutely inundated in bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

This image right here from the Penny Arcade article has been my motto since I started making my game. I am not going to Kickstarter until I've met some very, very clear goals since this is the first "complete" game I'm making. Right now, those goals are:

• The game has to actually exist. No pie in the sky concept art and gameplay mockups. There needs to be something that exists in a playable state that is highly representative of the product people will be receiving.
  • I need to have more information on how much additional assets for the game will cost. This includes music and models.
  • I need to be 100% certain that I can handle any PR better than that guy from Dinofarm who decided that open hostility was the best way to deal with criticism.
  • I need to have a complete breakdown of all Kickstarter/IndieGoGo related expenses, including "how much will the rewards cost me to ship? (mix/max)
  • I need to know what my own expenses for building and maintaining the project is.
  • My video has to be well rehearsed, concise, and entertaining, because I need to rely on my own personality and this specific game to convey that this is a worthwhile place for people's money.

Of course, then I see every other Kickstarter from small, inexperienced indies and I just want to weep.